PDA

View Full Version : When PC's must rest?

blacksabre
2008-02-07, 03:31 PM
What is the maximum amount of time a PC can go without rest before incurring some mods?

If a standard medium labor work day is 18 hours..say like a farmer, how long can a hero go before he needs rest?
How many combat rounds reduces the base?
Does CON bonuses increase the base for melee?
Does a INT\WIS bonues increase the base for casters?

Frosty
2008-02-07, 03:51 PM
Usually, an adventurer who doesn't sleep after 24 hours of activity is Fatigued in the games I play.

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-02-07, 03:52 PM
There aren't even rules for sleeping, you know! (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0224.html)

Really, there aren't.

Craig1f
2008-02-07, 04:06 PM
A player can sustain 8 hours of marching, and 8 more hours of consciousness with low-exertion, before having to rest, in the games I play.

If they march for longer than 8 hours, they have to start taking fort saves. If they are awake for longer than 16, but are not marching more than 8, the DM usually sort of wings it. Our DMs also allow our characters to be fully rested on less than 8 hours of sleep for a few days, but only for a few days.

blacksabre
2008-02-07, 04:07 PM
Thats what I thought..just wondering if anyone came up with some house rules..

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-02-07, 04:36 PM
A player can sustain 8 hours of marching, and 8 more hours of consciousness with low-exertion, before having to rest, in the games I play.

If they march for longer than 8 hours, they have to start taking fort saves. If they are awake for longer than 16, but are not marching more than 8, the DM usually sort of wings it. Our DMs also allow our characters to be fully rested on less than 8 hours of sleep for a few days, but only for a few days.2 things.
1:That is a house rule, or did I miss something?:smallconfused:
2:Your DM apparently never went to college, if he thinks 6 hours of sleep is hard to sustain.:smalltongue:

Illiterate Scribe
2008-02-07, 04:47 PM
2 things.
1:That is a house rule, or did I miss something?:smallconfused:
2:Your DM apparently never went to college, if he thinks 6 hours of sleep is hard to sustain.:smalltongue:

You mean 4, sir. :smallamused:

Voyager_I
2008-02-07, 05:03 PM
0, on occasion.

Now that you mention it, I'm rather surprised there isn't a magical equivalent of Coffee.

'Cause let's be honest, here. If you were spending weeks at a time researching new spells, what's the first one you would make?

blacksabre
2008-02-07, 05:32 PM
I suppose I'll come up with a house rule

A PC has a Daily Endurance amount of hours equal to:
Hours=18+1 per CON\INT Bonus (cumulative)

Modifiers (in a given day)
Every 6 rounds of combat -1
Fatigued (each instance) -2
Exhausted (each instance)-4
Staggered (each instance)-4
Sickened (each Instance) -6
Per Hour of Spell research -1

Each hour beyond the Modified DE a PC does not rest, Roll a FORT save, DC 17+hours beyond the ModDE. The FEAT Endurance can be used.

Failed save results in Fatigued. (ADD +2 to further DC's)
If Fatigued already, PC is Exhausted (ADD +4 to further DC's)
If Exhausted already, PC takes Non-lethal damage equal to HP and is Staggered (ADD +4 to further DC's)
If Staggered already, PC becomes Unconscious

Recovery
When a PC pushes herself beyond her Daily Endurance, the recovery rest time is equal to 8hours +each hour beyond the Modified DE

So is that to much?

tyckspoon
2008-02-07, 05:58 PM
So is that to much?

It's way more bookkeeping than I would want to bother with, but other than that I think the only thing especially wrong is the modification for time spent in combat. A round is officially only six seconds; it's really pretty hard to tire yourself to a great extent (like being worn out enough to warrant applying a status condition) in only 36 seconds.

Yami
2008-02-07, 08:13 PM
Nevar! Three cheers for warforged and undead templates. Who needs sleep?

Hip hip hooray!

Demented
2008-02-07, 08:27 PM
You do need rest (sleep) to naturally heal damage.
Though, strangely, a full day and night (24 hours?) of rest will heal twice as much. So, if you can find a situation where there are 24 hours of night, you can sleep in 3 segments of 8 hours and heal thrice as much!

Riffington
2008-02-07, 08:55 PM
0, on occasion.

Now that you mention it, I'm rather surprised there isn't a magical equivalent of Coffee.

Lesser Restoration

Parvum
2008-02-07, 09:00 PM
Why is intelligence being factored in? That has... absolutely nothing to do with your physical endurance.

Collin152
2008-02-07, 09:12 PM
Why is intelligence being factored in? That has... absolutely nothing to do with your physical endurance.

"Stupid body! You think you're tired, but I'll tell you what you are: wrong! I know I can go at least 8 more miles today!"

ForzaFiori
2008-02-07, 09:24 PM

mental endurance is just as important (if not more so) when doing any long lasting activity.

Voyager_I
2008-02-07, 09:24 PM
That would be more willpower than Intelligence.

CasESenSITItiVE
2008-02-07, 09:29 PM
mental endurance is just as important (if not more so) when doing any long lasting activity.

true enough, but wisdom or charisma would be a more likely candidate to cover that i think

Seffbasilisk
2008-02-07, 09:35 PM
0, on occasion.

'Cause let's be honest, here. If you were spending weeks at a time researching new spells, what's the first one you would make?

There is.

Good Ale (DR 334 pg58) Drinking a pint removes all penalties associated with normal fatigue, and grants a +2 alchemical bonus to constitution checks to avoid nonlethal damage from a forced march.

10gp/Pint.

Miles Invictus
2008-02-07, 09:36 PM
What is the maximum amount of time a PC can go without rest before incurring some mods?

If a standard medium labor work day is 18 hours..say like a farmer, how long can a hero go before he needs rest?
How many combat rounds reduces the base?
Does CON bonuses increase the base for melee?
Does a INT\WIS bonues increase the base for casters?

Personally, I'd just handwave it. A PC that stays up all night is fatigued until he gets eight hours of sleep. If he stays up a second night without rest, he's exhausted until he gets eight hours of sleep, at which point he is merely fatigued. If the PC is in battle at the magical 24-hour mark, I'd assume adrenaline would keep him going until afterwards, at which point I'd apply the penalties.