PDA

View Full Version : Downloading PM's?

Exeson
2008-02-07, 04:11 PM
So, I know I am being completely blind, but how do you download my PM's into a nice word document so I may delete them from my Inbox?

TRM
2008-02-07, 04:16 PM
I believe that Rawhide has a way (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53603)

Rawhide
2008-02-07, 04:17 PM
At the bottom of your PMs it says:

Download all Private Messages as:
XML | CSV | Text

You can't download them as a word document, but if you download them as XML you can use this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53603) to view them.

Lord Iames Osari
2008-02-07, 04:17 PM
Don't bother. Go here (http://forum.malwareremoval.com/viewtopic.php?t=1734) and download the program.

Then, go to your inbox and go all the way to the bottom, where it will say "Download all Private Messages as: XML | CSV | Text"

Click XML and wait for the PMS to download.

Then you can empty out your inbox and sentbox.

Edit: Gah, ninja'd!

Rawhide
2008-02-07, 04:20 PM
For some reason you need to be registered at that forum now, I will ask them if I can make the program available here.

Exeson
2008-02-10, 09:07 AM
If you could do that that would be great.

Thank you.

Rawhide
2008-02-17, 06:14 AM
Well, The program has completely disappeared into the ether along with the author. I've made all reasonable efforts to contact the author without success, the software was provided completely free of charge and there is no license agreement included with the program.

I believe this means that I should be able to distribute the program without alteration or charge and without claiming ownership. I think that I personally (nothing to do with GiantITP) will find a place to upload the file and provide a link for it unless someone can provide me with a legal or ethical reason not to.

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-02-17, 07:27 AM
I think that I personally (nothing to do with GiantITP) will find a place to upload the file and provide a link for it unless someone can provide me with a legal or ethical reason not to.
I don't see any problem ethically. But legally, isn't the basic principle that any piece of intellectual property is considered copyrighted unless explicitly released otherwise? Y'know, like a notice that says "This is Public Domain"? At least in the U.S. anyway.

(Though I know at one time it was actually just the opposite. Night of the Living Dead wound up in the public domain because someone forgot to tag it with a copyright notice. But that hoop in intellectual property protection has certainly been taken down.)

Rawhide
2008-02-17, 07:47 AM
Well, this is what I want to know.

You see, the product was completely free and available for anyone to download and use without restriction, I'm not in any way modifying it, claiming it as my own or making money from it. Just allowing people to download and use the free product that is otherwise no longer available, I still want to make sure I do it right though.

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-02-17, 08:04 AM
Well, one of the things about copyright is that it generally means whoever owns the copyright has sole claim to distribution methods. Even if the owner distributed it for free, those who had a copy are not allowed to do likewise unless explicitly granted permission from the owner. I imagine the primary purpose there is to give the owner a chance to decide to actually sell and make profit off the device at a later date while the copyright is still in effect (which under U.S. Law is an obscenely long time, lasting some 70+ years after the death of the actual creator... :smallyuk:).

Of course, I know nothing about the author or which country's laws apply in this case.

I suppose I should also throw out the "I'm Not a Lawyer" disclaimer. I wouldn't really even claim to be a lay expert. I'm just making observations based on the functional "Coypright Law and You" stuff they make you learn in Web Design class. Since those classes were taken in the U.S. they tend to focus on U.S. laws, which is unfortunate, because I really don't know when the laws of another jurisdiction would even apply.

Rawhide
2008-02-17, 08:15 AM
I just remembered something that may change things. It was distributed alongside the source code, I never downloaded the source code, having no interest in reprogramming it, but it was there and the malware removal site (where it was hosted) even verified that there was nothing malicious in the source.

unstattedCommoner
2008-02-17, 09:52 AM
Whatever licence you obtained it under should still be valid, and if that allows you to distribute it then you should be able to distribute it.

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-02-18, 09:02 AM
Whatever licence you obtained it under should still be valid, and if that allows you to distribute it then you should be able to distribute it.
Problem is that it wasn't distributed with an official liscense, so we're left with whatever the law considers the "Default" liscense for software distributed over the Internet. And no one is quite sure what that entails.