PDA

View Full Version : Help stating out a Phalanx

Inigo Montoya
2008-02-07, 05:21 PM
I'm getting ready to run an ancient greek campaign with my friend, but we're not sure how to stat a Phalanx out. Is it one large creature? How would initiative work? Any help would be welcomed.

Caracol
2008-02-07, 08:03 PM
Do you have World of Warcraft setting manual? It has some rules about how to make fighting units of more creatures. If you don't, tell me and I'll summarize the rules to you. Anyway, stat just one creature for the beginning.

Ascension
2008-02-07, 09:27 PM
The biggest thing you need to remember is that one phalanx is not really a threat. Far too easily outmaneuvered. A bunch of phalangites, on the other hand, are completely deadly. It's a tactic that only works en masse.

That being said, if you're using a typical d20 system, it's practically impossible to do the phalanx any justice whatsoever. Since the phalanx is only really effective under battlefield conditions, you'd need to deploy them in the midst of a big fight, and the d20 system isn't designed to model big fights. Plus, unless your setting is severely low magic, tightly packed formations suddenly become a very bad idea when you're up against area effects.