PDA

View Full Version : Boosting DCs to unkind levels

skeeter_dan
2008-02-07, 07:53 PM
I'm looking for ways to boost DCs to unnecessarily high levels for pretty much any spellcasting class, including feats, items, and class abilities for an arcane caster. Any ideas?

Emperor Tippy
2008-02-07, 08:23 PM
What level and whats the WBL? Generally boost your casting stat.

SilentNight
2008-02-07, 08:26 PM
Spell focus. See if your DM will allow an arcane variant of that psionic item that boosts DC. 8,000gp for a +1 dc to a specific school.

Isomenes
2008-02-07, 08:31 PM
Heighten Spell is an oft-overlooked feat for just this purpose.

Just Alex
2008-02-07, 09:01 PM
Arcane Consumption
Battle Caster (Offense)
Spell Foci

Reinboom
2008-02-07, 09:06 PM
Combining Arcane Thesis with 0 level increasing metamagic and heighten spell.
Sharem-Lar and Sharezem-Lar Sorcery for Sorcerers out of Ghostwalk I believe.

marjan
2008-02-07, 09:22 PM
Fey Power for enchantment.

Voyager_I
2008-02-07, 09:27 PM
The old fashion for CoDzillas was Holy Word + Karma Beads + other crap to raise your CL (not that hard, apparently).

Nebo_
2008-02-07, 09:35 PM
The old fashion for CoDzillas was Holy Word + Karma Beads + other crap to raise your CL (not that hard, apparently).

Fail. Boosting your CL has no effect on save DCs unless you're casting poison.

Karsh
2008-02-07, 09:38 PM
True, but who needs high DCs when anything different from your alignment with less than 50 HD dies without a save?

marjan
2008-02-07, 09:42 PM
True, but who needs high DCs when anything different from your alignment with less than 50 HD dies without a save?

The guy/girl who created this thread.

Reinboom
2008-02-07, 09:42 PM
Fail. Boosting your CL has no effect on save DCs unless you're casting poison.

Unless you combine it with Owl's Insight.
Wisdom bonus equal to half your caster level? No cap? :smalltongue:

Chronos
2008-02-07, 09:44 PM
True, but who needs high DCs when anything different from your alignment with less than 50 HD dies without a save?Anyone with deaf opponents, or opponents who can use Silence.

Really, I've never liked the idea of putting all of your eggs into one basket, especially when that basket can be overturned by two different second-level spells.

Voyager_I
2008-02-07, 10:14 PM
It was an open question; I gave him an answer that was slightly different but still gave him the same effect.

I know CL =/= DC. Doesn't matter in this case, since there's no save (and the CL will help you penetrate SR).

Lastly, I'd imagine that most enemies aren't deaf and don't tend to cast silence on themselves. Especially the casters. Even if it doesn't work, you're still a Cleric. You'll be fine.

Person_Man
2008-02-07, 10:51 PM
It should also be mentioned that there are a ton of debuff spells and effects out there. Essentially the same effect.

skeeter_dan
2008-02-11, 01:07 PM
Heighten Spell is an oft-overlooked feat for just this purpose.

Where is this feat found?

Spell focus. See if your DM will allow an arcane variant of that psionic item that boosts DC. 8,000gp for a +1 dc to a specific school.
Considering I am the DM, I could just create an arcane variant of that item. I'm guessing there isn't an arcane item that boosts DC already?

SadisticFishing
2008-02-11, 01:20 PM
Heighten Spell is PHB :P I couldn't find it without posting, either :(

Remember, you can't heighten a spell higher than your maximum spell level, so you can't actually Arcane Thesis to raise the DC higher than your max.

If you want to be Exalted Good, Vow of Nonviolenvce gives +4 to all your DCs that don't do damage. Good for a Beguiler.

Try to sicken them and make them shakened, that'd give -4 to all saves. Fearsome Necromancy shakens people very quickly. Sicken, I'm not so sure about.

SadisticFishing
2008-02-11, 01:21 PM
Considering I am the DM, I could just create an arcane variant of that item. I'm guessing there isn't an arcane item that boosts DC already?

Oh, and that is a slippery slope (wow Simon Tam's dad just said exactly the same thing on the DVD in the background). There's a reason no such item exists - and once your players kill/knock out/eat the badguy, they'll get the item. Personally, I'd stay away from such a powerful item.

Idea Man
2008-02-11, 01:21 PM
Heighten spell is in the PHB.

Edit: Nuts, ninja'd!

Keld Denar
2008-02-11, 01:33 PM
Fatespinners can spend spin points to increase the DCs of their spells by +1 per point of spin. They get spin points equal to Fatespinner level/day. A level 5 Fatespinner can add 5 to the DC of their spell and impose a -10 on an opponents save for a net swing of +15 points of effective +DC. Sometimes, you really want your Finger of Death to work.

Killer Gnome gets great DCs. Earth Spell + Heighten Spell increases your DCs AND your CL by a decent bit. Tossing out 9th level spells at character level 15 using CL 25 and DC 32 and 120% reality is pretty fierce, and not altogether uncommon for the little guy.

ShadowSiege
2008-02-11, 01:38 PM
Where is this feat found?

Players Handbook. As well as the SRD.

Kurald Galain
2008-02-11, 01:43 PM
The Ur-priest prestige class, which (can be read as to) set each of your class's caster levels to the sum of two of the others.

DrizztFan24
2008-02-11, 01:44 PM
If you want to be Exalted Good, Vow of Nonviolenvce gives +4 to all your DCs that don't do damage. Good for a Beguiler.

Huh? Where would one's "hypothetical" beguiler who likes his illusions, "hypothetically" find this feat? Hypothetically speaking of course:smalltongue:

Captain van der Decken
2008-02-11, 01:46 PM
Book of Exalted Deeds.

The Glyphstone
2008-02-11, 01:54 PM
Wouldn't that be the Hypothetical Book of Hypothetically Exalted Hypothetical Deeds?

Cuddly
2008-02-11, 01:57 PM
It's fairly easy to get a psion10/thrallherd10 that hits 10 or so creatures with a ~DC50 Psionic Dominate at once.

FinalJustice
2008-02-11, 02:35 PM
BoED Spell Focus [Good] gives a +2 for one feat, don't know if it has been errata'd. Use with Consecrate Spell to add the [Good] descriptor to your spells for +1 level and you're good to go. Gotta love the Halo'ed Grease and stuff like that. =D

Veil of Allure (MiC) gives +2 to Enchantment DCs. Just change the damn description/slot so you don't have to wear a veil if you are a man. Paying more 7k for uncommon slot is better than have you character emasculated. =D

Mystic Surge Spell (PHB II, if not mistaken) gives +2 on the DC for the next spell you cast.

spotmarkedx
2008-02-11, 02:49 PM
So you are saying that you wouldn't wear, say, "Evening Gloves of Ogre Power" or "High Heeled Boots of Flying"? You're no fun.

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-02-11, 02:51 PM
So you are saying that you wouldn't wear, say, "Evening Gloves of Ogre Power" or "High Heeled Boots of Flying"? You're no fun.That's what artificers are for.

FinalJustice
2008-02-11, 03:06 PM
Groucho Glasses of Allure are what artificers are for. And they even give you +30 cartoonish bonus to Disguise.

wormwood
2008-02-11, 03:18 PM
Book of Exalted Deeds Cheese.

Fixed. :D

PlatinumJester
2008-02-11, 03:30 PM
Elder Giant Magic feat from Secrets of Xendri'k increasesthe casting time but also increases the DC. For every additional round you spend casting you increase the DC (maximum of 3 rounds). The downside is you must make a concentration check of DC 15 + spell level + 1 for each previous check, every round or lose the spell. You also need 9 ranks in spellcraft.