PDA

View Full Version : Mutual Lust? (Spoilers)

13_CBS
2008-02-07, 09:03 PM
Ok, so Roy and Celia's relationship hadn't really the time to develop beyond anything more than simply attraction to one another, but perhaps Roy's description of their relationship suggests something else? Perhaps a foreshadowing of future relational issues?

EndgamerAzari
2008-02-07, 09:35 PM
Uhhh... I suppose it counts that they slept together:

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0318.html

I'm not sure that's what you meant, though...

Raging_Pacifist
2008-02-07, 09:35 PM
Of course it does, do you think that Elan and Haley hooked up only so they could separate and never have their relationship progres?

Zeitgeist
2008-02-07, 09:40 PM
Personally, I'm more curious as to why Celia hasn't wondered why Roy hasn't contacted her or broke the talisman in all those months. You'd think she'd be concerned?

Swordlol
2008-02-07, 09:46 PM
Well it seems to be a one time use thing...

I'm not sure may just need to be for plot devices...

VanBuren
2008-02-07, 09:52 PM
Personally, I'm more curious as to why Celia hasn't wondered why Roy hasn't contacted her or broke the talisman in all those months. You'd think she'd be concerned?

He's a Fighter on a quest to avenge his Father and fulfill his blood oath. Maybe she figured he was still on that quest and that he'd be busy for a little while longer.

Although they did agree to meet up during winter break, I think that was it at least, so maybe that hasn't come yet or she just didn't notice/care/think it was anything significant.

Frictional
2008-02-07, 09:53 PM

Here. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0320.htmlurl)
They hadn't planned to see each other for about a year, it looks like. It aint been that long since Roy has been dead.

What I personally wonder is if they could actually have kids together... now what would that be like?
With my luck, the combination actually exists, but I've never heard of it.

silvadel
2008-02-07, 09:54 PM
He was counting partially on true love -- but him being lawful good means he has to analyze it directly and even if he was only 95% in love with her the mutual lust comment comes out. He isnt 100% sure.

Raging_Pacifist
2008-02-07, 09:56 PM
Still you'd think she'd try to scry him or cast dream........ oh wait, cloister. NM.

Vulion
2008-02-07, 10:16 PM
They hadn't planned to see each other for about a year, it looks like. It aint been that long since Roy has been dead.

What I personally wonder is if they could actually have kids together... now what would that be like?

Well, they do have Fey Bloodline Traits and Celia is a Sylph, which is a type of Fey. So it could work.

Raging_Pacifist
2008-02-07, 10:28 PM
Humans and Sylphs (fey) can reproduce. Consult the Book of Erotic Fantasy, it has offspring possibility tables.

Rogue 7
2008-02-07, 10:39 PM
He was counting partially on true love -- but him being lawful good means he has to analyze it directly and even if he was only 95% in love with her the mutual lust comment comes out. He isnt 100% sure.

There's also the possibility that it was funny.

Mauve Shirt
2008-02-07, 10:49 PM
There's also the possibility that it was funny.
PRECISELY.
I think we should look at this as a JOKE and not some kind of meaningful commentary on their relationship.

Raging_Pacifist
2008-02-07, 10:50 PM
But a good possibility, at that.

Corestimah
2008-02-07, 10:52 PM

Sylphs are Outsiders [Air] according to page 192 of the Monster Manual 2, so I would think that Roy and Celia would have Air Genasi children. Sylphs are innate sorcerers, but beyond that they lack any abilities relating to electricity. Greater Invisibility at will and summon monster VI once per day (for large elementals) yes, but not any innate electrical abilities. Also, it would seem that Rich didn't care to deal with Goblins and Sylphs being small size, so he used some artistic license to make them medium (which I support).

Raging_Pacifist
2008-02-07, 11:03 PM
The other thing this thread fails to take into account is that maybe being in love has absolutely nothing to do with being able to see him.
Because, you know, that's a big possibility too.

I have to agree. You need a physical/ magical link. Meta-Physical is the word.

13_CBS
2008-02-07, 11:04 PM
PRECISELY.
I think we should look at this as a JOKE and not some kind of meaningful commentary on their relationship.

Why? How do we know it's more than just a cigar?

Rogue 7
2008-02-07, 11:17 PM
Roy's general history of being a deadpan snarker?

Raging_Pacifist
2008-02-07, 11:25 PM
Pretty much.

the_tick_rules
2008-02-07, 11:54 PM
she rocks roy's world, then leaves, that's an awesome girlfriend.

Raging_Pacifist
2008-02-08, 12:02 AM
So she should abandon everything and come with him?

Weiser_Cain
2008-02-08, 12:12 AM
Humans and Sylphs (fey) can reproduce. Consult the Book of Erotic Fantasy, it has offspring possibility tables.

DO NOT CONSULT THE BOOK OF EROTIC FANTASY! DO NOT EVEN THINK ABOUT THE BOOK OF EROTIC FANTASY!

Raging_Pacifist
2008-02-08, 12:22 AM
Whoa! Look out where you fling those capital letters, Weiser. Seriously calm down, what's your problem w/ the BoEF? Its gotten me through some bad times. *wow that was a bad joke* My apologies.

chibibar
2008-02-08, 12:30 AM
lol....

But I think Roy was hoping that "True Love Conquer all" thing, but since Celia could not see Roy he figure it must have been mutual lust instead of "true love" hehe

Raging_Pacifist
2008-02-08, 12:39 AM
Possibly, though it'd pretty sad.

Paragon Badger
2008-02-08, 01:23 AM
DO NOT CONSULT THE BOOK OF EROTIC FANTASY! DO NOT EVEN THINK ABOUT THE BOOK OF EROTIC FANTASY!

Hey, you don't even need the book of erotic fantasy to make D&D any more skeevy (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/bloodlines.htm#troll) than it already is.

...Seriously, Trolls? :smalleek:

Nerd-o-rama
2008-02-08, 01:35 AM
If sylphs were fey, there's a Half-Fey template somewhere (Fiend Folio? Savage Species?) Since they're Outsiders (Air), their children with humans would be...Air Genasi? It seems like there should be a half-template in there somewhere. I don't think that's what half-elementals are for.

As for the electrical powers...did they have them in an old edition? Or was Celia confusing humans with air elementals, instead of with sylphs?

As for the comment, it's just Roy being self-analytical and cynical, per usual. Honestly, since he's been on one date with the woman, it's probably a healtheir attitude than claiming true love 4ever.

#Raptor
2008-02-08, 01:50 AM
Theres Half-fey and Feytouched. Both can be found here: http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20040213a

Raging_Pacifist
2008-02-08, 02:00 AM
There is a half-fey template in FF I believe. As for genasi? They are 1/4 elemental not half , but seeing as how Celia is a fey her grandkids would be fey touched. "And where did they fey touch you, Jimmy?" Also, sylphs are small size, so from his standpoint Roy made love to a midget. Huh. I guess there is hope for Belkar and V afterall. *wow. sorry, to much?*

orange
2008-02-08, 02:01 AM
I'd venture some form of insecurity on Roy's part towards how he thinks Celia views their relationship. The big wuss needs some reassuring.

Raging_Pacifist
2008-02-08, 02:11 AM
I'd venture some form of insecurity on Roy's part towards how he thinks Celia views their relationship. The big wuss needs some reassuring.

Other way around.

Nerd-o-rama
2008-02-08, 02:17 AM
Other way around.
No, I think orange is on to something. The "mutual lust" comment could easily be Roy voicing his (pessimistic) view on how Celia might view the relationship.

And people, D&D sylphs are Outsider (Air), not Fey. Celia even refers to herself as a paraelemental (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0268.html) (a subset of elementally-aligned Outsiders).

Raging_Pacifist
2008-02-08, 02:32 AM
Oh well I got it completely wrong then, sorry.

Ink
2008-02-08, 03:36 AM
As for the comment, it's just Roy being self-analytical and cynical, per usual. Honestly, since he's been on one date with the woman, it's probably a healtheir attitude than claiming true love 4ever.

I agree. They've spent all of approximately 24 hours in each other's company. She doesn't even know him well enough to know that he can't shoot lightning out of his fingertips. I'd say mutual lust is a much more realistic and accurate description of their relationship than true love or even love.

Caractacus
2008-02-08, 06:15 AM
Yeah, I think that Roy was thinking that as an elemental and as she is in love with him, it'll all work out. Then when it doesn't, he reverts to the bitter, sarcastic self that comes out whenever things go wrong. He then downgrades the relationship pessimistically in his mind to 'mutual lust'.

Personally, I think that Roy is actually properly interested in Celia - or at least, that the courtship scene in the restaurant was drawn in a way that led me to think so.

We'll see, I suppose...

Fitzclowningham
2008-02-08, 07:39 AM
It's interesting, though, that all of the sexual encounters the OOTS PCs have had have been one night stands: Belkar + 2-for-1 whores, Durkon and Hilgya, Roy and Celia, Elan and Haley. Not to say the relationships won't pick up where they left off, but for now it seems Rich really likes this situation as a plot device.

Paladin29
2008-02-08, 08:26 AM
I don´t think Roy really believe that "mutual lust" stuff, come on, he is the hero, the knight, the straight man... Celia is his love, they´ll strengthen their bonds when they´ve time (with the help of our dwarf cleric).:smallsmile:

Plactus
2008-02-08, 09:24 AM
And people, D&D sylphs are Outsider (Air), not Fey. Celia even refers to herself as a paraelemental (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0268.html) (a subset of elementally-aligned Outsiders).

They're also small.

But between that and her interview with the djinni (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0071.html), yeah, Roy probably got it wrong.

Edit: They can't shoot energy out of their fingers, either. (They can cast spells, though.)

Frictional
2008-02-08, 10:17 AM
Huh. I was thinkin she was a Fey too, but had a feeling that was wrong. Guess I was right.

The kid would probably have a hard life though. I mean, look at Half-elves. Not really accepted by either race as far as that goes. Imagine a half-elemental (or other more proper term.) What would s/he have, like half-sized wings and crappy innate magic?
At least s/he'd have a good sense of humor. ;)

Andorax
2008-02-08, 10:23 AM
It's a bit out of date, but in 2E, Sylphs (always female) did breed with humans, and the result was always a sylph.

Souju
2008-02-08, 12:14 PM
in the comic she never says she zaps things with electricity, just zaps it "with energy"
could be wind energy, force energy, arcane energy, diabolical energy from hell, extracted from the souls of the stillborn.
she doesn't say!
people just always assume "zap" means "electricity", which in the real world makes sense. But in a world where there are as many forms of energy as there are forms of coffee at starbucks, and people can manipulate them like the Baristas that work there (strangely enough with the same level range of skill) it's possible for a being of this energy to concentrate it in their hand and create a zapping-like sensation.
Also, she says "Not even lightning?" which doesn't necessarily imply she used lightning either.

And for all we know, Celia could be a rare giant sylph :)

Raging_Pacifist
2008-02-08, 12:54 PM
She is not giant she is small, but so are goblins and Rich drew them medium.

Kami2awa
2008-02-08, 12:59 PM
It's interesting, though, that all of the sexual encounters the OOTS PCs have had have been one night stands: Belkar + 2-for-1 whores, Durkon and Hilgya, Roy and Celia, Elan and Haley. Not to say the relationships won't pick up where they left off, but for now it seems Rich really likes this situation as a plot device.

Haley and Elan weren't a one-night-stand; quite a lot of time passes between them finally getting together and their present separation.

Raging_Pacifist
2008-02-08, 01:04 PM
Aside from them, that is still alot.

Souju
2008-02-08, 01:10 PM
She is not giant she is small, but so are goblins and Rich drew them medium.

but if sylphs are supposed to be small, wouldn't a giant sylph be medium? ^_^

Drakron
2008-02-08, 01:16 PM
She is a miniature gargantula sylph.

Raging_Pacifist
2008-02-08, 02:42 PM
All I am saying is that sylphs are small size, so from his standpoint Roy made love to a midget.

Caractacus
2008-02-08, 02:58 PM
All I am saying is that sylphs are small size, so from his standpoint Roy made love to a midget.

a) They appear, like goblins, to be medium in Rich's universe. Not drawn medium, just actually medium.

b) I think that was the point being made above, if they are supposed to be small, then she's a rare giant one... :smalltongue:

Kish
2008-02-08, 03:07 PM
Aside from them, that is still alot.
The ethics of the OotS-universe appear to have no problem with casual sex. Even Durkon only freaked out when he got to the "she's married and she tried to kill her husband for being in her way" part.

Raging_Pacifist
2008-02-08, 03:08 PM
I know that, calm down Skippy. I was making a joke.

Souju
2008-02-08, 03:53 PM
The ethics of the OotS-universe appear to have no problem with casual sex. Even Durkon only freaked out when he got to the "she's married and she tried to kill her husband for being in her way" part.

the exception apparently being the sapphire guard, which is why the Kato Kouple had Durkon perform the wedding

Nerd-o-rama
2008-02-08, 03:53 PM
She is a miniature gargantula sylph.
You mean a miniature giant space sylph.

Raging_Pacifist
2008-02-08, 04:09 PM
You mean a miniature giant space sylph.

Polymorphed into a female. LOL.

Nerd-o-rama
2008-02-08, 07:10 PM
Go play Baldur's Gate and don't stop till you get my joke

Drakron
2008-02-08, 10:37 PM
The reason why I put miniature gargantula sylph is because Boo is still tiny sized and there is no such thing as "giant space sylph" as there is "space Hamster" (and its "miniature sized" variant) that was one of Spelljammer jokes.

Even if I screwed up, I should have typed Colossal in order to keep things in order (been years since I read the size description).

SPoD
2008-02-08, 11:07 PM

I think you're reading too much into this. I see it as a function of the traveling nature of the OOTS. The plot has pretty much required the characters to continuously travel for most of the comic, in pursuit of a goal much larger than a relationship. That sort of thing has a way of screwing up your love life.

If Roy wasn't out to defeat Xykon, he may have moved in with Celia by now. If Haley and Elan weren't adventurers, they wouldn't have been separated and might be setting a wedding date already. If Durkon and Hilgya hadn't met in a dungeon, they might have gotten to know each other better before deciding to boink (which would have resulted in NOT boinking).

Belkar and his whores, of course, are what they are.

Again, there's a difference between "casual sex" and "long-distance relationship" or "relationship that has been interrupted due to a massive land war". Neither Roy and Celia nor Haley and Elan are truly one-night stands.

Although I admit that I find it amusing that the most stable long-term couple in the comic is Nale and Sabine...

teratorn
2008-02-09, 12:34 AM
Imagine a half-elemental (or other more proper term.) What would s/he have, like half-sized wings and crappy innate magic?

Looking at the half-elf we have seen, a half-sylph would only have one wing.

But I was also under the impression that all sylph were female, and that they had to breed with males from other races, the result always being a sylph female.

John Campbell
2008-02-09, 01:52 AM
the exception apparently being the sapphire guard, which is why the Kato Kouple had Durkon perform the wedding

Well, of course. They're paladins. The stick is a class feature.

Souju
2008-02-09, 02:18 AM
Although I admit that I find it amusing that the most stable long-term couple in the comic is Nale and Sabine...

maybe there's something to this sacrificing people to better your relationship thing...

dbat19
2008-02-09, 02:49 AM
Also, sylphs are small size, so from his standpoint Roy made love to a midget. Huh. I guess there is hope for Belkar and V afterall. *wow. sorry, to much?*
you don't got the point. A big man with a great sword and a small size female is fine, but a small halfling with small dagger and a big elf..........:smalltongue:

Anyway, the main point is: Roy and Celia have been around each other for like how long? one day? two? what do they know about each other? in this situation, how do u really know that u love each other

Jayngfet
2008-02-09, 03:08 AM
Hey, you don't even need the book of erotic fantasy to make D&D any more skeevy (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/bloodlines.htm#troll) than it already is.

...Seriously, Trolls? :smalleek:

think thats bad, cityscape suggests and alternate course for dopplegangers uninterested in politics...prostitution, now what happens if a doppleganger gets pregnant and shifts out, go check the house of horrors.

R.O.A.
2008-02-09, 02:13 PM
in oots #87, the last panel shows a sylph (or so I presume, since she's identical to Celia, except in colour), and, compared to Haley, she's a lot smaller. But, in panels where Celia and Haley are together, they're are clearly the same size.

So maybe she really is an oversized, freaky giant sylph :smallbiggrin:

Quorothorn
2008-02-09, 06:49 PM
Anyway, the main point is: Roy and Celia have been around each other for like how long? one day? two? what do they know about each other? in this situation, how do u really know that u love each other

*Attempts to name all the fantasy stories which had the Red String of Fate/Love At First Sight (or, in worst-case scenarios, Strangled by the Red String) and fails miserably due to not being able to count that high.*

SPoD
2008-02-09, 07:00 PM
in oots #87, the last panel shows a sylph (or so I presume, since she's identical to Celia, except in colour), and, compared to Haley, she's a lot smaller. But, in panels where Celia and Haley are together, they're are clearly the same size.

So maybe she really is an oversized, freaky giant sylph :smallbiggrin:

That's a pixie, not a sylph. It's one of the monsters in the board game, where its card is titled, "Pixie Chick".