PDA

View Full Version : Feats for a level 2 druid?

Frosty
2008-02-08, 02:38 AM
If one were to build a Core-only Druid starting at level 2, what feats would he atake assuming race is human? Should he concentrate on having strong, augmented summons, or perhaps buffing his riding dog Wolfie? Or should he take weapon focus (ranged touch attacks) and try to torch things with Produce Flame (probably a waste of a feat)? Maybe cast Shillelagh and go flank with Wolfie and beat things up up close and personal?

Chronicled
2008-02-08, 02:51 AM
In core-only, I'd go with Spell Focus: Conjuration and Augment Summoning.

Kizara
2008-02-08, 03:21 AM
Unless you need it for a PrC, weapon focus is a waste of time. It also should be noted that most PrCs that need weapon focus are also a waste of time. Occult Slayer comes to mind as a noteworthy exception.

Regardless, produce flame is mildly decent for 2 levels. Do you want to spend a feat on an ability you will only use for 2 levels? Please say no.

Augment Summoning is a very viable choice.

Honestly, without cracking complete divine or phb2 (let alone some other things), there simply isn't all that much out there for a pre-level 5 druid.

You will want to pick up Power Attack at some point, but you don't qualify for it at level 1 with a 3/4 BAB class.

Um....

Depending on the campaign, if your party doesn't have a ranger, Track might be wroth it.

Improved Initiative is always decent, and is always appreciated as a caster.

Maybe Scribe Scroll?

Weiser_Cain
2008-02-08, 03:25 AM
Weapon focus natural attack? Hahaha

Crazy Scot
2008-02-08, 07:36 AM
I would say that the most important part of deciding what feats to choose is to first choose where you want your character to go. Look down the road a few levels and decide if you want to go into a prestige class, if so choose feats that will go well with it or are prerequisites for it. Then look at where you want to be at 5th level, 10th level, 15th level, and decide what you want to be/what you want to be able to do and work towards it. You have asked a very generic question, and it is difficult to give a good response without some idea of where you want to go with your character since there are so many avenues to choose from.

Frosty
2008-02-08, 11:17 AM
With only Core books, I'm not planning on multiclassing out of Druid. I think I'll want to focus on Wildshape and my companion instead of summon, but I can't wildshape for a long time. Not sure when in real time we'll ever reach level 5.

Crazy Scot
2008-02-08, 11:30 AM
If you are planning on sticking with strait Druid, I would recommend eventually taking the feat Natural Spell (if I remember the name correctly). It allows you to cast spells when in wildshape. Again, if you are going to focus on wildshaping, you might want to consider taking the feat Improved Natural Attack (probably claw). This will increase the damage that you deal with the chosen type of natural weapon, as if you were one size category larger than you actually are. If you go that route, I would recommend going with claw or maybe bite, as those are usually the two most common natural attack forms of animals. But that feat won't really come into its own until you get wildshaping at 5th level.

If you are being restricted to the core-only books by your DM, then I would continue as you planned, probably, with a focus on natural attack forms (Improved Initiative and other feats that help in combat). If you are really interested in wildshaping, though, and your DM allows it, you might want to consider the prestige class "Shifter" from Masters of the Wild. It is a 3.0 book but the abilities that the class offer are quite nice (at 10th level you can wildshape into any type of creature except fey, and any size of creature except colossal) with an unlimited duration and unlimited usage. If you want more information on it, I can get more for you later.

Best of luck with your character.

Frosty
2008-02-08, 11:34 AM
I don't believe I qualify for Improved Natural Attack, as I do not have a natural attack.

Fenix_of_Doom
2008-02-08, 12:11 PM
You will want to pick up Power Attack at some point, but you don't qualify for it at level 1 with a 3/4 BAB class.

You can take PA with a 3/4 bab class, all you need is 13 STR if you have that then your good to go.
So I'd advise PA and improved initiative as they are both solid choices for almost any situation.

Hario
2008-02-08, 01:24 PM
I don't believe I qualify for Improved Natural Attack, as I do not have a natural attack.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency

Druids are proficient with the following weapons: club, dagger, dart, quarterstaff, scimitar, sickle, shortspear, sling, and spear. They are also proficient with all natural attacks (claw, bite, and so forth) of any form they assume with wild shape.

Also all humans have a natural attack, it just does subdual damage unless you take improved unarmed attack. Improved natural attack does look spiffy at first since most natural attacks are d4s or d6s but to turn them into d6,d8,d10 is one extra damage per natural attack, now wildshape into a form with pounce like a fleshraker and you're getting +5 extra damage per attack not bad for a feat.

Frosty
2008-02-08, 02:10 PM
I'm under the impression that unarmed attacks do not count as natural attacks. I'm pretty sure about this. Now, at level 2, I do not have wildshape yet, so I do not have any natural attacks.

Weiser_Cain
2008-02-08, 05:33 PM
I would say that the most important part of deciding what feats to choose is to first choose where you want your character to go. Look down the road a few levels and decide if you want to go into a prestige class, if so choose feats that will go well with it or are prerequisites for it. Then look at where you want to be at 5th level, 10th level, 15th level, and decide what you want to be/what you want to be able to do and work towards it. You have asked a very generic question, and it is difficult to give a good response without some idea of where you want to go with your character since there are so many avenues to choose from.

This is a good point, I build my character backwards so I'm sure I can qualify for everything.

The_Snark
2008-02-08, 05:38 PM
I'm under the impression that unarmed attacks do not count as natural attacks. I'm pretty sure about this. Now, at level 2, I do not have wildshape yet, so I do not have any natural attacks.

Correct. Also, Improved Natural Attack requires a base attack bonus of +4, meaning you wouldn't be able to get it until level 6. And at that level, you should be taking Natural Spell.

Improved Initiative is a good choice, as is Power Attack. Track can be handy if nobody else in your group has it.

Frosty
2008-02-08, 05:40 PM
I think it'll be less like a group and more like an MMORPG in a sense. It'd done via play by post, but there's many players and you can do what you want in a persistent world, like group up with other players and go adventure. So, I have no idea what my group would be like.