PDA

View Full Version : Last Minute Advice for West End Games Star Wars One-Shot?

Skjaldbakka
2008-02-08, 02:41 AM
Pretty much all in the title. I'm running a one-shot at a local convention in Lexington KY. I picked WEG Star Wars, as the club turned out to own a copy, and I've always wanted to give it a shot.

For those of you who have played that system, any advice on common errors and hang-ups in the game that I might have missed would be appreciated.

snoopy13a
2008-02-08, 06:51 AM
I haven't played it in a very long time. The most interesting thing about it is the health issue. Instead of hit points, there is a wound system with wounded, incapacitated, disabled and dead (if I remember correctly).

It is very possible that a few lucky NPC dice rolls can incapacitate your party. Luckily, while it is easy to incapitate a player (two wounds will do so) it is difficult to outright kill someone without incapitating them first. So, instead of a TPK, an unbalanced scenario or bad luck will probably result in the party being captured. Therefore, plan on the PCs possibly being captured and set up a possible jail break type scenario. Hopefully, this won't happen but it is definetely something to plan on.

Matthew
2008-02-08, 09:29 AM
Force Points and Character Points can be used to produce some very startling results. Be careful how many you award and how you allow them to be used. Otherwise, the game is very robust and should be fairly easy to run.

You may want to avoid the temptation to roll dice for NPC to NPC interactions (such as Rebel Soldiers shooting at Storm Troopers and vice versa) in the vicinity of the Player Characters. That can be a little tedious, so either make sure the Players are rolling the dice for their allies (and are okay with that), use averages or decide the outcome via DM fiat.

Since it's a one shot, you probably won't have to worry about the advancement process. I found it a little unwieldy.

Also, if you're playing a one shot, make sure there are plenty of recognisable Star Wars images. Your Players will be expecting Star Wars, rather than a generic sci fi.

serok42
2008-02-08, 11:14 AM
Force Points and Character Points can be used to produce some very startling results.

To say the least. There was one game I was playing in. There was 5 of us, I was a Jedi and my friend was a bounty hunter. We were being chased by the bad guys on a sand skiff. We were firing back and forth and gaining no ground. The bounty hunter zoomed off on his jet pack crashing into the skiff chasing us. Using a force point and character points on various rolls he took absolutely no damage and totaled the skiff killing all of the bad guys on it.

The party was astonished.

MandibleBones
2008-02-08, 12:19 PM
Have fun.

No, seriously, that's the best advice for running D6 Star Wars: Make sure you are all having fun. Remember to laugh, remember to roleplay, but remember most of all that you are running a space opera: heroism and fun are the orders of the day.

LibraryOgre
2008-02-08, 12:30 PM
Strength rolls for resisting damage are really important, and can make the game last a while, especially if you've got a wookie or gammorean in the party... on average, they have the same resistance as most blasters can dish out; strong wookies actually, statistically, ignore lightsabres.

The Dark Side is difficult to adjudicate. It's obvious when someone is diving head-first into it, but when a player is getting frustrated by his inability to do something, it might be wise to do a check to see if his character is.

Have fun. If someone wants to do something, say this sentence "Man, that sounds ________." Fill in the blank with very easy, easy, ok (moderate), difficult, very difficult, really freakin' hard (heroic). Assign a difficulty based on that (I suggest a standard of 4, 7, 10, 18, 25, and 35+). Then let them roll it.

Don't sweat the multiple actions rule too much, especially when they're all one action, but separate die rolls. I find it to be a pain in the butt.

Matthew
2008-02-08, 01:47 PM
To say the least. There was one game I was playing in. There was 5 of us, I was a Jedi and my friend was a bounty hunter. We were being chased by the bad guys on a sand skiff. We were firing back and forth and gaining no ground. The bounty hunter zoomed off on his jet pack crashing into the skiff chasing us. Using a force point and character points on various rolls he took absolutely no damage and totaled the skiff killing all of the bad guys on it.

The party was astonished.

Heh, heh. I always tell the same story, but here I go again... Basically, one time a Player Character blew up a Star Destroyer with his X-Wing through judicious use of Force Points and Character Points. The rest of the adventure was supposed to take place on the capital ship.