PDA

View Full Version : Druid Gear @ Lvl 8

Leon
2008-02-08, 07:15 AM
We have just been granted 2 Levels that takes us to Ecl 9 due to our DM wanting to ramp things up a bit before he takes a year long break due to work

now he has asked us what we would like to have in the way of gear that suits us and our current level, normally this wouldn't be to much trouble for me but i am separated from my books (they are in storage)

Currently i have a +1 Iron Spear, a Cloak of Resistance +1, a Masterwork Iron Glaive, a couple of assorted scrolls and Pots

I was thinking along the lines of defensive items and utility with a bit for offensive.

<<Of Note - For those that don't remember - my Druid is Very Non standard, so anything that involves wildshape/summons or Animal companion is point less. how ever its DarkSun and Razak is Psionically capable>>

Nebo_
2008-02-08, 07:37 AM
<<Of Note - For those that don't remember - my Druid is Very Non standard, so anything that involves wildshape/summons or Animal companion is point less. how ever its DarkSun and Razak is Psionically capable>>

A little more information wouldn't go astray. If your druid is not standard, then knowing what it is, helps greatly.

Leon
2008-02-08, 08:37 AM
Hunter Avenger Variant, with Arcane Magic users as a Favoured Enemy and Elves as the second
Fight a mix of Unarmed and Weapon with spells to boost, Psi Powers are Pure Armour atm (Inertia Armour and Force Screen)

When the needs must, Rage is invoked and all hell can break loose from that - have just found a Item from the Burt World of Athas site that may mesh well with this aspect: Torc of Anger, gibes DR and Morale bonuses to Attack and Damage varying on how much damage has been taken

Spell Selection is Normally a Mix of Control, Buff and Offensive. Just have gotten access to 4th Lvl spells
Ive only ever used Summon monster once (waste of a Spell slot and a snake...)
More common is Summon Dire hawk
Call Lightning is my Offensive spell of choice with produce flame second
Entangle for control
Animalistic Power (i think its that - +2 to Physical Stats) for general buffs
Couple of cure spells in case the Cleric needs help on that front

Leon
2008-02-08, 06:33 PM
I had thought id be snowed under with suggestions - does the non standard part scare people that much?

Leon
2008-02-15, 07:20 AM
For all those that are so scared of Non Standard druids, i got some rather non standard gear in the end.

7 threads of a Headband of Perfect Excellence woven into a sash(+2 Str, Dex & Wisdom Enhancement bonus)

Druid Bone* necklace (+1 Druid Caster level, +2 Resistance on Saves, Animals, Plants and vermin that attack the wearer must make a DC 14 Will save of be slowed <as per the spell> and and defilement that takes place within 100ft of the wear is reduced some what and the wizard takes 2d6 damage)

+2 Defending Glaive

*real druid bones

Burley
2008-02-15, 11:15 AM
For me, I wasn't scared off by your non-standard character as confused why you're playing a druid in the first place. I understand that you're basically a Barbarian with casting...but, you shouldn't even be able to cast with 2 IRON WEAPONS! I know the rules say they can't wear metal "armor", but all the weapons on the profiniency list are very commonly wood and stone weapons. The fact that you're carrying 2 solid metal exotic spears is a little...disconcerting. Iron is by no means "nature friendly".
That being said: Your description of your non-standardiness confused the bugger out of me. By the time I figured out what all your junk was about, looked up the class features, and wrote them down so I knew what you were working with, I was just tired of seeing your character. Not because there's anything wrong with it...I was just worn out from all the research.
There are only a handful of Druid items that would help you. If you're wanting other things: Anything else in any book might help?

Fenix_of_Doom
2008-02-15, 12:37 PM
For me, I wasn't scared off by your non-standard character as confused why you're playing a druid in the first place. I understand that you're basically a Barbarian with casting...but, you shouldn't even be able to cast with 2 IRON WEAPONS! I know the rules say they can't wear metal "armor", but all the weapons on the profiniency list are very commonly wood and stone weapons. The fact that you're carrying 2 solid metal exotic spears is a little...disconcerting. Iron is by no means "nature friendly".

Words can't describe how much I disagree with this, first of the metal is unnatural is complete nonsense, second there are plenty of weapons that are or can be metal on the druids proficiency list, like a sickle or a scimitar.

Also gaining rage does not make him a barbarian, he still has 3/4 BaB and druid class features etc.

mostlyharmful
2008-02-15, 02:04 PM
Words can't describe how much I disagree with this, first of the metal is unnatural is complete nonsense, second there are plenty of weapons that are or can be metal on the druids proficiency list, like a sickle or a scimitar.

Also gaining rage does not make him a barbarian, he still has 3/4 BaB and druid class features etc.

Indeed, lots of metal weapons and the rage seems to be a self nerf to a fullcaster rather than the basis of the character.

to the OP, given you're a druid with stat boosters and CL boosters there isn't much you actually need so just roll on the tables till you've got some random gumph and try to run with it. It's much more fun to get handed a bizarre piece of gubbins and trying to put it to good use and for that you need to take out the control and embrace the wonky crap tables. There's some great threads on this forum for finding grab bag magic items, just search through some of the back pages, you shouldn't have to go far. Find one and before you open it write down that you'll take the 5th, 12th and 21st items on the list. Then see what happens.:smallsmile:

Leon
2008-02-15, 07:10 PM
As posted above, i was given some nice items that i'm happy with - initialy i was given the option of choosing for my self but didn't have the time to get a good look at my books and just went with what i was given

Head band of perfect excellence is a modification of a item from the Munchkins series of books - normal version gives +7 Str, Dex & Wis

The druid bone necklace is a new creation by the DM and id rather have it than some generic item

The glaive he forgot about till the end and rolled randomly on the table - but its a good result

In regard to Non Standard.
I like the Druid as a class idea, really like the spell list but i just dislike some of the "Core features - Wildshape and "need" that you must take natural spell, Animal companions are ok but the Druidic Avenger fitted with what i had as a concept so well thatthe loss of a AC and spont summons is fine.

In game noone knew i was a druid till i spoke to a druid at a town in druidic and he demanded to know how i knew that - just the way i wanted to have it .

I had thought about the shape shift variant and but ultimately decided that i'd go this way and focus on the Anti Defliler slant