PDA

View Full Version : Kids in the Playground

Gem Flower
2008-02-08, 09:04 AM
The under-eighteen-year-old thread! Of course, eighteen-year-olds and over are welcome to share their advice from years of experience, but it must be on a matter discussed here. So, where to start? Ummm, I know! Ahem,

Homework

Mauve Shirt
2008-02-08, 09:08 AM
does not stop sucking when you are over 18.
Just sharing my expertise. :smallbiggrin:

Narmoth
2008-02-08, 10:23 AM
great. another thread to make me feel really old

SilentNight
2008-02-08, 10:23 AM
Homework
SUCKS!!!:smallfurious:

Seriously is there a more horrible creation in all of civilization? It serves no purpose other than to waste your time. Its intended use is to reinforce the lesson the teacher taught that day, but if people already get it, why the heck do you still have to do it. If you belieive that you understand the lesson then you souldn't have to do it. If you were wrong and failed the test then it's your own dang fault. Most of it just ends up in the recycling or, more often, the garbage. If your teacher assigns homework it is a sign of either A)the teacher believes that the entire class are morons. B)The teacher is doubting their own ability. Or most of the time C) The teacher is a complete and utter moron.

Just my personal opinion as a high-schooler.

Thanks, I've been needing to get that out of my system for a while. I'm sure it will be worse once I get to college.

Another possible topic:Administrators

Lyesmith
2008-02-08, 10:30 AM
Oh, homework. My poor, neglected adverarsy. I dont get much, but that little which i do get is mostly unimportant and never mentioned again, so...:smallamused:

That which is important, however, gets done. eventually.

Dihan
2008-02-08, 10:33 AM
I'm personally fed up of exams. :smallsigh:

Mauve Shirt
2008-02-08, 10:36 AM
Oh, homework isn't the worst creation in the history of the universe. Also, homework is not about the kids being morons, or the teacher being incompetent, it's about the kids getting some practice outside of school. Turning your brains off as soon as you leave class won't help you actually learn the subject. With many schools subjects you're going to need to apply them outside the classroom, so you might as well get used to thinking about them outside the classroom.
That said, it's less than fun.

This is coming from someone skipping class. But I'm thinking about the subject! :smalltongue:

Castaras
2008-02-08, 10:39 AM
Yay, kids!

Should I say something else here? Other than...Yay! Half-Term! :smallbiggrin: :smallbiggrin:

*forgets about school*

Lyesmith
2008-02-08, 10:41 AM
I will be devoting my half term to utterly neglecting anything involving mathematics. Stupid pie-thagoras.

Castaras
2008-02-08, 10:51 AM
I will be devoting my half term to utterly neglecting anything involving mathematics. Stupid pie-thagoras.

Heheheh. Am I one of the few here who likes maths then? :smalltongue:

The Vorpal Tribble
2008-02-08, 10:56 AM
Ok, not that all people on these forums aren't all upstanding and moral folks... but this doesn't seem like the smartest of threads, y'know?

Anyways, I may be going on 25, but I'm still a child at heart!
(child-like, not childish)

EvilElitest
2008-02-08, 11:01 AM
I'm 16, and tend to write my posts while doing my homework. Yeah.........
from
EE

Crispy Dave
2008-02-08, 11:06 AM
im 14 i i make my posts when im spossed to be doing homework. does that count?

EvilElitest
2008-02-08, 11:10 AM
im 14 i i make my posts when im spossed to be doing homework. does that count?

I at least try to muti task, with varying results
from
EE

Mando Knight
2008-02-08, 11:12 AM

Do vector calculus just for fun
I ain't got a gat but I got a soldering gun
(White & Nerdy, Weird Al Yankovic, Straight Outta Lynwood, 2006)

...Thank you, Weird Al Yankovic... I would never have had the... er... eloquence to state it that way...

Anyways, Vorpal Tribble has a point... at least you're not giving away street addresses or things like that...

On homework! Do it, it really does help, and if you want to go to a decent college, well... here at MS&T we've still got the bane of schoolchildren...

Double-angle/half-angle identities were never my strong suit... if you know Trigonometry, you know what I'm talking about...

Raider
2008-02-08, 11:42 AM
Meh, I'm 14 and see the value of homework. It can be an extreme waste of time in some cases when you understand the lesson(which I do most of the time) but for many kids they don't fully understand it and need the extra practice. Homework should be optional, and if the idiots who just don't do it fail a test because they needed to it's their fault.

I'm so sick of all the kids in school who have a giant, I'm going to drop out at 16 and then work at McDonalds sign waving over their heads. Let them drop out, more learning for the rest of us.

Zar Peter
2008-02-08, 11:49 AM
Hey, yeah! Kids in the playground.

Sooo, I have three kids, they are 8, 5 and...

Ermmm... sorry, wrong thread. If you need advice PM me.

Kaelaroth
2008-02-08, 11:50 AM
Yeah, I'm a kid. That's all I have to say on the subject.

*swans off to Men in the Playground*

Dallas-Dakota
2008-02-08, 12:11 PM
Yeah I´m 14, turning 15 in june.

About math : I like head-math better than other kinds of math. For one simple reason : Its easier and way faster.

Turning your brains off as soon as you leave class
I dont.
1 my native language isnt english, so everything I see/write or hear in english is translated faster then I can think and then back, just knowing the word. Though I can slowly translate it by means of thinking the words.

Unless I don´t know the word. Also you might have noticed my english grammar and spelling. Takes thinking sometimes:smallbiggrin:

And well I could go on and on for things I use my head for(very many things), but I´m off to dinner now, I just hope I made my point clear.

Trog
2008-02-08, 12:17 PM
Trog's here to let his inner child run wild! :smallbiggrin:

No. Not like that. Sheesh. :smallannoyed:

So... who's up for making a big city out of Legos? :smallsmile:

*brings a cubic meter of Legos. Drinks adult beverage out of cup with a bendy straw*

Mordokai
2008-02-08, 12:20 PM
Anyways, I may be going on 25, but I'm still a child at heart!
(child-like, not childish)

Glad to see I'm not the only one :smalltongue:

Dragor
2008-02-08, 12:21 PM
15 going on 16 in July, here. Does that count as a kid?

*Joins in celebrating Half Term*

The only problem is I've got to do a lot of graphs- Geography Coursework, you see. :smallsigh: I'm having a curry in about half an hour, so I guess I can't complain really... hurray!

Anyway, enough of school. There must be something else we can talk about...

Relationships? I know there's the relationship thread, but I always feel a bit out of place when asking adults for advice (even though that advice is usually handy, I feel awkward). Also, I find relationships (friendly or otherwise) an interesting topic. :smallsmile: Hope I'm not being too imposing.

SoD
2008-02-08, 12:39 PM
Aww, I'm not a kid any more*...stoopid 18th birthday...Anyway, homework...alt tab is your friend, for when parents come in! Hear footsteps, quick alt tab to a work related site! :smallbiggrin:

* However, I am a firm beleiver that growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional. *nods*

Gem Flower
2008-02-08, 12:42 PM
You're not being imposing! This thread is for anything kids/teens do! More of a teen thing there, but I feel that there are more teens than actual kids in the Playground. Emphasis on MORE.

Ethrael
2008-02-08, 12:43 PM
w00t go kids! 14 here and enjoying half-term as much as anyone with a largely boring amount of homework to do.:smallannoyed:

Dragor
2008-02-08, 12:43 PM
You're not being imposing! This thread is for anything kids/teens do! More of a teen thing there, but I feel that there are more teens than actual kids in the Playground. Emphasis on MORE.

Awesome. Love your avatar by the way.

Ceska
2008-02-08, 12:44 PM
Glad to see I'm not the only one :smalltongue:
I, on the other hand, am childish, not child like, and admit it.

Trog's here to let his inner child run wild! :smallbiggrin:

No. Not like that. Sheesh. :smallannoyed:
Awww. :smallfrown:

So... who's up for making a big city out of Legos? :smallsmile:
Oh, me me me! *goes to get out the piles of Lego*

It serves no purpose other than to waste your time. Its intended use is to reinforce the lesson the teacher taught that day, but if people already get it, why the heck do you still have to do it.
Simple, because it helps to train and thus not waste the time in lessons. You also have to realise that what you actually do, some tests and sit there and say something, is very little, and homework shows you at least do something.
Then there's the fact that all of us can use the training. No, you're not the perfect writer who can throw out a great essay after another without doing any outside of tests. Some may be, but will it hurt them to sit down that one hour and do their job? It will not.
And don't you ever move on in the subject's matter when you should still learn about the previous theme? For example in German class we get to write two pages on four or so questions on the last theme we did when we finished with the specific theme and have to move on.
That's something like "read the metamorphosis, sum up and answer questions on the reactions of the characters towards it" when we finished Kafka, or "answer these questions on Spring's Awakening" after we were done with that. We need that for our exams, but we learn that outside school, because there's simply not enough time.

Heh, for someone who does as little homework as me, I'm actually advocating for it a lot, but I may, I'm not a child anymore. :smalltongue:

Gem Flower
2008-02-08, 12:45 PM
*sigh* Seventeen, almost eighteen.:smallfrown: oh well, I'm still a kid now! By the way, thanks, Dragor! *hums boy's part for "I am sixteen, going on seventeen" from The Sound of Music*

B-Man
2008-02-08, 12:59 PM
I refuse to consider myself an adult! Especially when people keep guessing my age at 14 or 15. Here I am, nearly 19 and people still think I'm in high school! So I let them think that and rarely bother to correct them (only applies to people that don't know me all that well).

I wish that I still had my Lego bucket. It would give me something to do to unwind.

Trog
2008-02-08, 01:00 PM
Awww. :smallfrown:

:eek: *hidden white text*

Dallas-Dakota
2008-02-08, 01:08 PM
I have recently(when my cousins of 4 and 6/7ish visited) begone to build a tower out of knex(if anybody knows that)

*goes play with lego*
*Plays with Trog and CSK to help them make their lego castle*

The Orange Zergling
2008-02-08, 01:32 PM
Man, it's been so long since I've last picked up a lego or knex piece... :smallfrown:

Anyhow, 13 here, I used to be the youngest person I knew of on the board, but I'm sure there are younger now.

FoE
2008-02-08, 01:36 PM
Oh good, so many yummy children congregating in the same place.

*Lure kids into gingerbread house*

topher
2008-02-08, 01:46 PM
I is kid…only not really.
<- wishes he was kid again.
*crys*
Coworker is looking at me funny.

Oh, Legos. How do I love thee, let me count the ways.
One, two, three, CRUNCH. Three licks to get to the center of a tootsie pop!

I was always a constructs (sp?) person anyway. You can’t find them anymore.:smallfrown:

Em Blackleaf
2008-02-08, 02:14 PM
If you guys haven't figured it out, I'm a kid. On homework: I don't like it, but I do it. Sometimes I skip some assignments (being in middle school, it's not that bad). I'm usually on three or four different websites while doing my homework. I'm hardly ever away from a computer. :smalltongue:
I'm still 13. And I play with Legos. :smallbiggrin:

TRM
2008-02-08, 02:35 PM
Everyone is so young :smalleek:

Anyhooo, homework is important (or maybe my homework is special :smallsigh: ). It supplements the teacher's lectures and, especially in the case of exercises, gives the student hands-on practice in the subject.

I like it anyway.

edit: Labs aren't homework! *duh*

Raider
2008-02-08, 02:35 PM
I stopped playing with lego's when I noticed that after I built one it would go it's eternal resting place on my shelf, never to be touched.

As for Bionicles though I still make an occasional monstrocity.

Dallas-Dakota
2008-02-08, 04:57 PM
Gah!:smallfurious:
How I hate bionicles!

I like LEGO and Knex though....
I haven't lego'd in years now.....wow, thats a long time ago....
I haven't played with knex for around 5 years until my cousins(4,6ish) visited who wanted to play with it....And ofcourse me the big cousin had to play with them, but no worries it was a lot of fun:smalltongue:

SilentNight
2008-02-08, 05:27 PM
Oh, me me me! *goes to get out the piles of Lego*

Simple, because it helps to train and thus not waste the time in lessons. You also have to realise that what you actually do, some tests and sit there and say something, is very little, and homework shows you at least do something.
Then there's the fact that all of us can use the training. No, you're not the perfect writer who can throw out a great essay after another without doing any outside of tests. Some may be, but will it hurt them to sit down that one hour and do their job? It will not.
And don't you ever move on in the subject's matter when you should still learn about the previous theme? For example in German class we get to write two pages on four or so questions on the last theme we did when we finished with the specific theme and have to move on.
That's something like "read the metamorphosis, sum up and answer questions on the reactions of the characters towards it" when we finished Kafka, or "answer these questions on Spring's Awakening" after we were done with that. We need that for our exams, but we learn that outside school, because there's simply not enough time.

Heh, for someone who does as little homework as me, I'm actually advocating for it a lot, but I may, I'm not a child anymore. :smalltongue:

I miss legos:smallfrown: .

Also, sorry about the rant. I really needed to get that off my chest. Don't get me wrong, some homework is good, as is work that shouldn't be done in class. But seriously, doing 40 math problems in an attempt to cement Area of a sphere=4/3xpixrcubed is just going to make things worse. The homework I'm ranting about is the tedious kind that is incredibly simple but time consuming.

Ted_Stryker
2008-02-08, 05:32 PM
But seriously, doing 40 math problems in an attempt to cement Area of a sphere=4/3xpixrcubed is just going to make things worse.
Volume of a sphere... :smalleek:

SilentNight
2008-02-08, 05:34 PM
My bad,:smalleek: . Guess I should have done those 40 problems. At least I knew the formula. (And aced the class)

Ceska
2008-02-08, 05:34 PM
But seriously, doing 40 math problems in an attempt to cement volume of a sphere=4/3 pi r³ is just going to make things worse. The homework I'm ranting about is the tedious kind that is incredibly simple but time consuming.
Some of us *points at self* are really nervous at tests and screw them up if they haven't done a similar problem many times. Homework is really good then. But I understand not everyone needs or wants to do that.

:eek: *hidden white text*
:tongue:

@v: Sure, but I'm talking about harder stuff there. My keyboard has that, I mispressed the key, though. (ctrl-alt-3 for me).

SilentNight
2008-02-08, 05:37 PM
Some of us *points at self* are really nervous at tests and screw them up if they haven't done a similar problem many times. Homework is really good then. But I understand not everyone needs or wants to do that.

I don't want to seem like an arrogant a-hole but 40 seems like overkill for a single formula. Also too much practice of one thing is detrimental, kind of like in music. If you practice one line over and over again you will start tripping up.

EDIT:How'd you get the little squared thing? I couldn't figure it out.( it's cubed BTW)

The Vorpal Tribble
2008-02-08, 05:48 PM
Gah, I don't miss Legos. I've been picking them up for years, being the eldest of 10 and all.

Now K'nex are fun. When I was a lot younger I got one of those big huge kits as a special gift, one of those whatever you call devices, stick a ball in, goes here, does this, spins here, rolls along over there, etc. Really cool.

Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins
2008-02-08, 05:59 PM
I like school. I like my school. I despise the school division with all my heart. Especially since it changed to this new one, SunWest, late last year. They brought in these moronic policies (including the DEAR (Drop Everything And Read) Program, which slices 25 minutes out of every day to do just that. They say it's supposed to make kids 'like reading'. Making them will not help.) and cancelled half the usual field trips, sliced the week-long Telemiracle Fundraiser down to two hours, and damn near cancelled the ancestral Grade Seven Pike Lake Trip (went with shortening it instead) all because these things, that have always worked fine before, are "taking away too much class time". Like Hell. They did all that, and the school year is five days longer! How, in FoE's ever-loving name, does that work? That's like the opposite of what they said they were doing! Why!?

Well, at least it's my last year. it's still stupid.

Copacetic
2008-02-08, 06:08 PM
Hello, it is I, come to post in the childs thread where I belong.

So, who likes pizza?

SilentNight
2008-02-08, 06:16 PM
Hello, it is I, come to post in the childs thread where I belong.

So, who likes pizza?

Me.:smallsmile: Anchovies anyone?

Zombie pixe
2008-02-08, 06:17 PM
only if its cold ^^

(no one say me use that face, NO ONE)

meh, im not a child for much longer :smallfrown:

i still wish i was four, im told that feeling never goes away...? :smallconfused:

Aramil Liadon
2008-02-08, 07:12 PM
Yay! Playgroup! Who brought the crafts?

OK, homework. I will look for that study saying kids who are not assigned homework do just as well as those who are.

Pyro
2008-02-08, 08:16 PM
Wooo I'm a kid. Thats all I have to really say...*steps out*

North
2008-02-08, 08:21 PM
*Taunts all the minors with beer*

Bwa-ha-ha!

Still years for you to get this:smalltongue:

ForzaFiori
2008-02-08, 08:25 PM
Man, it's been so long since I've last picked up a lego or knex piece... :smallfrown:

Anyhow, 13 here, I used to be the youngest person I knew of on the board, but I'm sure there are younger now.

that...sux.

it means i'm getting killed in starcraft by a dude 3 years my junior. :(

so yea, i'm 16. still a kid.

on homework: Quick confession: I dont do it. like...ever. Its kinda screwing my grade in driver's ed (which isn't good, i need to start doing it to bring it up) but other than that...i mean, in my classes its like 10% of your grade, and i usually ace tests. I get the point of it and all, but (not trying to brag or anything) but i get the stuff thats taught while i'm in class. I dont really need the extra practice. so i dont do it, b/c 10 points the 10% of my semester grades really isn't that bad to me.

on legos: i have a footlocker FILLED with legos. And yet its not enough. I also have a footlocker filled with Hotwheels track. and about as many knex, though they're spread out around the house...

Mee
2008-02-08, 08:46 PM
Yes, I am under 18, yes I am over 10, and yes, I have WAY to many legos. :smalltongue: *sits on lego throne*:smallbiggrin:

Raider
2008-02-08, 08:51 PM
New Topic: Romance

Mee
2008-02-08, 08:59 PM
Girls are icky and have cooties, NEXT! :smallbiggrin:

Just kidding.

ForzaFiori
2008-02-08, 09:16 PM

ugh, dont get me started on HS romances man. I mean, dont get me wrong, i love my gf, but in HS romances, if (read: when) the s*** hits the fan...man, it would be easier to switch states than to try to get things back to normal.

which is why i'm hoping to stay with Bev for a long ass time. Maybe even get lucky and make it outta HS with her.

EmeraldRose
2008-02-08, 09:46 PM
All of y'all, GET OFF THE LAWN! :smallwink: It was bound to happen sooner or later...

Also, I have a kid way under eighteen...does that count?

Ominous
2008-02-09, 12:39 AM
Seriously is there a more horrible creation in all of civilization?

The 100+ page dissertation you have to write then defend in front of a board of Ph.D. holders in order to get your own Ph.D.

Bitzeralisis
2008-02-09, 03:08 AM
The term is teens. :smalltongue: And, yes, I am one.

Kaelaroth
2008-02-09, 03:14 AM

I've got about three-billion crushes, several extended pubertal faux-true loves, and about six-billion metres of body hair waiting beneath the surface! Man, this sucks.

Lyesmith
2008-02-09, 03:19 AM
I've got about three-billion crushes, several extended pubertal faux-true loves, and about six-billion metres of body hair waiting beneath the surface! Man, this sucks.

...You know, you just summed up how i felt when i woke up this morning far too well. Save for the faux-true loves part, i think.

Ah, teen romance. It's a bitch when all your freinds are standing there smooching and hugging and its like "uhm guys this is an english lesson".

Third wheels of the playground, unite!

Elrond
2008-02-09, 05:38 PM

MATHS RULES

Inhuman Bot
2008-02-09, 08:08 PM

Hello, I do think I have the honor of youngest on the boards at 12.
Second romance? to H*ll with that! blashphamy, the lot of it. (yes I have hit puberty) All it does is screw me over worse thn before :smallannoyed:.
Second: bioncle is better then k'nex! *redies anti lego fan sheild*

Lastly, @north: ah, but WE don't have to pay taxes.

Fester
2008-02-09, 08:11 PM
This is my bit of sage advice:

Nothing changes ever. EVER. People still play stupid high school games at 40.

Pyro
2008-02-09, 08:53 PM
Second romance? to H*ll with that! blashphamy, the lot of it. (yes I have hit puberty) All it does is screw me over worse thn before :smallannoyed:.

Quick someone find an 11 year-old!

Also I like math too because its awesome.

x^2+16x+63
(x+7)(x+9)
x=-7 x=-9
Quadratics FTW

mockingbyrd7
2008-02-09, 09:58 PM
I'm thirteen and proud of it. I feel that I'm not a "little kid" anymore, but at the same time, I'm not an adult yet. Despite this transitional period, I don't feel at all out of place. In fact, I feel great.

Well actually, right now, I'm pretty tired. *shoots puberty in the face*

Ah, kids. What are ya gonna do with us? :smalltongue:

I was 12 years and 2 months when I first came to these boards. How old are you? (Because if you're older than that, I was younger when I came here. Probably Em Blackleaf, too.)
Also, romance rocks.
I'm not a Bionicle or Lego fan, I've never even heard of K'nex.
Finally: not having taxes is a definite plus.

Bitzeralisis
2008-02-09, 11:08 PM
MATHS RULES

The term is Algebra. :smallamused: Anyhow, I'm a big math fan, due to the fact that I'm better than better than average at it, second only to specific things in science. Recently I've take up an interest in particle physics, despite the fact that I probably won't be studying that stuff until I'm in college.
Recently, I asked a classmate, "Do you know what the six flavors of quarks are?"
He looked at me incredulously and said no.
I replied: "Up, down, strange, charm, top, and bottom."
He continued staring at me.
I asked: "Do you even know what a quark is!?"
He said, "You mean the ones from Lord of the Rings?"
He thought I was talking about orcs. I repeated the work "quark" again, and he mistook it for something else. Finally, I spelled it out, and he asked me what it was, and I said "The stuff atoms are made up of." He told me that atoms were unbreakable. I told him that was a lie our science books told us. He said that I was lying.
Anyways, the lesson learned here is: Never ask a jock what a quark is.

de-trick
2008-02-09, 11:13 PM
I was a math fan till i got a 53 on pre-cal, I guess Im stuck with science and social studys

Pyro
2008-02-10, 12:12 AM
The term is Algebra. :smallamused: Anyhow, I'm a big math fan, due to the fact that I'm better than better than average at it, second only to specific things in science. Recently I've take up an interest in particle physics, despite the fact that I probably won't be studying that stuff until I'm in college.
Recently, I asked a classmate, "Do you know what the six flavors of quarks are?"
He looked at me incredulously and said no.
I replied: "Up, down, strange, charm, top, and bottom."
He continued staring at me.
I asked: "Do you even know what a quark is!?"
He said, "You mean the ones from Lord of the Rings?"
He thought I was talking about orcs. I repeated the work "quark" again, and he mistook it for something else. Finally, I spelled it out, and he asked me what it was, and I said "The stuff atoms are made up of." He told me that atoms were unbreakable. I told him that was a lie our science books told us. He said that I was lying.
Anyways, the lesson learned here is: Never ask a jock what a quark is.

That's hilarious, but sorta odd too. Even when I was in elementary school I learned atoms are made of protons, electrons, and neutrons.

Bitzeralisis
2008-02-10, 01:51 AM
Meh. I don't like History that much. It's not conceptual enough. Really, it's just a bunch of memorization.

Em Blackleaf
2008-02-10, 03:23 AM
I was 12 years and 2 months when I first came to these boards. How old are you? (Because if you're older than that, I was younger when I came here. Probably Em Blackleaf, too.)
I was 12 years and about ten months old when I joined. So, almost thirteen. Not quite the youngest on the boards at the time.
And, I believe BunnyBoo(and some numbers) is 11, if he/she's not lying on his/her profile. So, Slaanesh isn't the youngest.
On math, I hate it. Never liked it, never will. I'm in Geometry right now, doing Trigonometry, and I manage to get Bs in that class.
There's not much I can say for romance, seeing as I've never had a boyfriend. I've had silly crushes, but no boyfriends. All of my friends have boyfriends, so I'm usually a third-wheel while they're sitting awkwardly by eachother, too nervous to even hold hands. :smallconfused:
I'm the only one I know who could ever be romantic, yet I'm also the only one without a chance to be.
Sorry, Valentine's Day makes me angsty.

Castaras
2008-02-10, 03:41 AM
Legos!

*goes and pulls out the three shelves of lego tubs she has*

*makes massive towery thing*

And join date...August 2006, I would have been 13. January '07, when I actually started posting properly, I would have been 13. ^.^

I always get mistaken for older than I actually am...is funny, sometimes.

Romancey stuff...I ain't romantic. Before I came to the playground, I've always ignored lovey stuff. Mostly because it was used as a weapon against me by many kids at school.

Now I'm here... I guess I'll just say no more. :smallbiggrin:

@v Agreed. I never understood, and still don't understand, why all the other girls are so hyped up about "OMG OMG SHE'S GOT A GUY NOW" or "OMGOMG I NEED A GUY" or whatever. :smallannoyed:

Dumbledore lives
2008-02-10, 03:41 AM
I'm 14 right now so I'm still a kid, though most people mistake me for older and I never understand why. Homework is a pointless waist of time. It's not quite evil but only because there is normally about 5-10 minutes to do it in class, which is usually enough, or I do it while watching TV or playing on the computer. I don't care about Romance, right now in my sorta' new school I don't like anyone. I personally don't care who anyone else likes either, and I don't see why people care oh so much about it, especially girls.

Bitzeralisis
2008-02-10, 03:55 AM
I always get mistaken for older than I actually am...

That's exactly what I did! :smallbiggrin: It has something to do with the name, I think...

Felixaar
2008-02-10, 07:47 AM
Im Sixteen, though most people seem to mistake me for somewhere in the area of twenty three. And this isnt just online, its irl too. They're all like "shouldn't you be at school?" so I say "shouldn't you be at work?" "touche". Anyway, take that all you homework doing suckers :smallbiggrin: I left that fiend behind almost a year ago (and yes, I finished all of school, I am not a drop out).

On romance, blech. Three years without a valentine this thursday and still going strong!

On math, you're lying to yourself if you think you like it. Sorry, but you gotta deal with the truth sooner or later.

Lyesmith
2008-02-10, 07:55 AM
On math, you're lying to yourself if you think you like it. Sorry, but you gotta deal with the truth sooner or later.

Quoted for truth!
Romance isnt all that great, to be honest.
But then, theres nobody i'm intrested in, so i suppose it could all change.

rubakhin
2008-02-10, 08:00 AM
At nineteen, I am still a kid! Sort of! ... Or, still a teenager? At least still a teenager, right? :smalleek:

:elan: Cling, cling, cling to my lost youth

Lyesmith
2008-02-10, 08:11 AM
I think if it ends in "teen" you are a teenager, so still a kiddywink. or whatever.

Jimblee
2008-02-10, 09:31 AM
Whats with all this anti-homework I'm reading of here?

I would've failed all my classes if it weren't for homework. I'll take the ten minutes of pointless exercise over five-hundred Fs, God forbid my GPA fall to normal standards. And if you can pull it off before class ends, its not really homework, is it?

And 'nother thing; you should be glad your teachers care enough to bother with it. I've had my share of those who don't, and all I did was miss out, fail, and get in pointless fights

SilentNight
2008-02-10, 10:45 AM
I think if it ends in "teen" you are a teenager, so still a kiddywink. or whatever.

My dad is a highschool teacher. I think he still is a teenager.

Gem Flower
2008-02-10, 04:28 PM
Quick someone find an 11 year-old!

Also I like math too because its awesome.

x^2+16x+63
(x+7)(x+9)
x=-7 x=-9
Quadratics FTW

Ha! I found an 11-year-old! NotAboutBalance, who I am in contact with and am told that she can can have regular access to these boards in a couple hours!

Inhuman Bot
2008-02-10, 07:16 PM
Ha! I found an 11-year-old! NotAboutBalance, who I am in contact with and am told that she can can have regular access to these boards in a couple hours!

*hiss*

On homework: do it at school, or on the way home, if doing it a home is NOT tolerable for you.

Bitzeralisis
2008-02-10, 08:17 PM
Very good advice.

Aereshaa_the_2nd
2008-02-10, 10:10 PM
I hate homework, but I'm in all academic classes so it's tests, not homework, that counts. I'm good at tests. So I do minimal homework, unless I actually am confused.

My favorite subjects are algebra, geometry (euclidean, not the sissy cartesian stuff they teach at school), science, english, visual arts, and music.

However the stuff I hate is: french class, they teach it to me orally, even though I'm hearing impaired, also the way they teach computers in all the subjects to 'Make sure your children can cope in a modern world of technology'. Yeah, sure, if they don't mind me coding a few scripts to do my homework for me.

Bitzeralisis
2008-02-10, 10:15 PM
...also the way they teach computers in all the subjects to 'Make sure your children can cope in a modern world of technology'. Yeah, sure, if they don't mind me coding a few scripts to do my homework for me.

Yeah. That's pretty annoying too. Especially when the stereotype is adults not understanding a bit of our modern, teenage-y technology at all. Really, you think the idiots should be teaching the masterminds? I've actually programmed a short console application to solve polynomial equations for me before.

Pandaren
2008-02-10, 10:17 PM
Lurking....

Boo.

Hey.

Shraik
2008-02-10, 10:31 PM
Me, I'm a teen. I go to a catholic school. all the Girls where skirts, and stockings. I'm happy a guy. Except I don't have a chance with the one I want to because I am pathetic. I see other people who are jerks and they get girls, yet I am nice to people to a dangerous level, yet I am still by myself

I know the feeling of having two friends make out and get all touchy feely nearby. Its a bit sickening in my opnion. I gave up a very good seat at the movies when with friends to prevent the awkwardness of sitting next to friends as a couple.

Homework, I just do it before school the day its due. I almost never do homework at home. And I don't make up excuses, if I didn't do it, I accept defeat. Its never been a priority in life, but if your failing a class, doing hw helps. Gets the material in your brain and helps your grade because you aren't missing assignments.

I usually don't get mistaken for being older, just as someone famous. Andy Milonakis. I'M NOT THAT FAT!!!

Aereshaa_the_2nd
2008-02-10, 10:34 PM
Sometimes I get mistaken for waay older than I am. Waiters sometimes offer me wine:
Mom, Aereshaa, Dad. At a table.
Mom: we'll take the (name of wine).
Waiter: Three glasses?

Aargh!!!
One time I was talking to one of dad's friends, and he said:
Friend: "So, do you two work for the same company?":smallsmile:
Me: "I'm fourteen, dude!":smallconfused:
Friend: "Oh.":smalleek:

EDIT:
Also, on the subject of romance, I'm sort of sweet on a girl in my music class. I'm pretty sure she knows.

SilentNight
2008-02-10, 11:04 PM
Sometimes I get mistaken for waay older than I am. Waiters sometimes offer me wine:
Mom, Aereshaa, Dad. At a table.
Mom: we'll take the (name of wine).
Waiter: Three glasses?
EDIT:
Also, on the subject of romance, I'm sort of sweet on a girl in my music class. I'm pretty sure she knows.

I get mistaken for older than fourteen too. I got mistaken for a waiter this winter actually.
On romance: I'm not sweet on anyone in particular. Although this girl that sits next to me in Japanese is one of the only genuinely nice people I know. Problem is she's so nice that if I tried anything she'd probably let me down so softly that I wouldn't even know it.

de-trick
2008-02-11, 12:30 AM
on romance I usually am sweet on any girl with a nice smile, and if something happens it happens, I just lay back and watch

Mattarias, King.
2008-02-11, 02:20 AM
We are the seekers of knowledge-
Born of love or fear or both.
We are reluctant and desperate.
We are reminded time and 'gain:
We are one step closer to enlightenment-
But two steps back from the Throne...

Ah, youth, how I wasted thee..

...How's that lego city coming along? Can I help? :smallbiggrin:

Zeb The Troll
2008-02-11, 03:30 AM
*trips over thread while wandering through Friendly Banter*

fwooomp

*picks self up and dusts self off*

What the heck is this doing here? How many times have I told you kids to put your toys away when you're done with them!?

Umm, daddy, they're still using this. You just need to watch where you're going.

*looks at thread*

Oh, hey, look. Legos and math and rationalizing homework. Cool! Can I play?

Sorry, daddy. You can only come in here and tell people you're old and offer to give them advice they won't listen to anyway.

:smallfrown: Oh. I will! I'll give lots of advice. Just ask me. Okay, guess I'll go now. You gonna stay and play with them, honey?

Well, actually no, daddy. See, I'm even too old to come in here.

:smalleek: Oh dear. Alright then. Help me get this up to the top of the pile of threads then, so they can keep using it until they're done.

Alright. But then we gotta go, 'kay?

Okay. You boys and girls play nice in here, okay? Don't make me come back and turn this thread around. :smallcool:

Daddy.

Yes, honey?

You're a dork. You know that, right?

:smallwink: Yes, honey. Let's go now.

*snickers while being led out of the thread*

Dispozition
2008-02-11, 05:09 AM
*random 16 year old walks in*

Oi, this looks like a thread I belong in >.>

Yea-up...I'm 16, coming on 30...Gotta love it.

Get me up to date on this thread...Pleeease? I presume much tech talk has been going on, if so, I must be involved...I are tech dude among most of my friends...

Mee
2008-02-11, 08:11 PM
MATHS RULES

Speaking of that, I've found the perfect quadratic.

Bitzeralisis
2008-02-11, 08:28 PM
The "Perfect Quadratic?" What exactly do you mean by that? :smallconfused:

Mee
2008-02-11, 08:30 PM
The answer is always 1.
Here, try it, A=1 B=-1 C=1/4

hyperfreak497
2008-02-11, 08:40 PM
I turned fifteen last Christmas, am a freshman in high school, have ridiculous mental problems that I'm coming to grips with, and romance is essentially a no-go. Meh.

Hm...subjects. Basic Conversational French (we have to speak only in French, but aren't expected to know much; we recently learned passe composse, which makes me happy), Geometry (my teacher is terrible, really), Health (last semester, Fitness+Conditioning, which consisted of weight-lifting with a group of very large upperclassmen who mostly laughed at how small I was), World History II (I recently switched to the Honors course, although homework is still the bane of my GPA in that class), English I (a breeze for me; my grammar is, for the most part, impeccable, and that's mostly what we've been getting graded on), Biology I (my teacher sucks, once again; we learn by doing homework, because we learn nothing in the class), and Band (clarinet for the win!).

I run track (last Saturday I ran the first leg of our team's 4x400 meter (or 4x440 yard) relay) and played (American) football this year, although I'll probably be switching to soccer (or football, if that's how you swing it) next year; I hear it's relatively easy to pick up.

Ah, romance, the vile temptress of my mind. My first (and, so far, last) romantic relationship was March-May of last year, although I became involved with an upperclass(wo)man over the summer. Nice girl, I just didn't like her as more than a friend. I've had more crushes than I think I'm even capable of remembering and conveying to you; none of them have come close to panning out. Nowadays, I like two twins, each for different reasons (they're fraternal, so looking the same is hardly even a factor), a girl who has repeatedly and bluntly stated her dislike for me, but I can't seem to stop having a liking for her, a very nice, but not incredibly attractive girl from my track team, and the girlfriend of one of the guys I respect more than anyone else (which is somewhat awkward, because she is in a play with me in which she is quite scantily clad).

If you wish, I can go into more detail, but I've probably bored you already. Thank you for your time.

Bitzeralisis
2008-02-11, 08:42 PM
The answer is always 1.
Here, try it, A=1 B=-1 C=1/4

Meh? That doesn't do what you said at all.

Mee
2008-02-11, 08:46 PM
It should.

Let's see, x= -b square root of(b^2 * 4ac)
--------------
2a

oops, I forgot about he 2a well, never mind, try it with 1a on the bottom.

Silly me. :smalltongue:

BURNhollywoodBURN
2008-02-11, 10:30 PM
Oh, pshh. You think you're all kids, well I'M 12!
So there!
Poopyheads.
Anyway, yeah, homework sucks. Except I get easier homework than you! Na na nanana!

Mee
2008-02-11, 10:44 PM
Okay, I've tweaked it some more, try this one,
A= 0.5 B= -1 C= 0.5

Aramil Liadon
2008-02-12, 09:07 PM
x = 2, 0
Thank you, please try again.

Bitzeralisis
2008-02-12, 09:58 PM
Look, the only way to have the equation always come out as 1 is to use this:

y = 0x2 + 0x + 1

And that's a pretty stupid quadratic equation, because it's not even classified as one.

Mee
2008-02-12, 10:34 PM
It shouldn't, let me think, x= -(-1) +- * square root of ( -1^2 - 4(0.5)(0.5) )
-------------------------------------------------
2(0.5)

Right?

--1= 1 -1^2= 1 4*0.5=2 2*0.5=1 so we get,

1*square root of (1-1)
------------------------

so, 1*1=1, and the square root of 1 is 1, so,

1+- square root of 0
-----

so, 1 +- 0
-----------
= 1/1 which everyone knows is, 1.

Aramil Liadon
2008-02-18, 01:30 PM
Well, that's what I'm getting now too. I wonder what I did the first time?

Wait, let's prove it.
f(x) = 0.5(x^2) - x + 0.5, right? So x = 5...
f(x) = 0.5(5^2) - 5 + 0.5
f(x) = 0.5(25) - 5 + 0.5
f(x) = 12.5 - 5 + 0.5
f(x) = 8

Ok, now I'm really confused.

EDIT: Wait, I got it. The formula only works for ax^2 + bx + c = 0, so all you proved is that it has a x-intercept at 1.