PDA

View Full Version : Ashes to Ashes [spoilers]

Kaelaroth
2008-02-08, 11:32 AM
Hi, all you Brits out there! You may have seen new spin-off time-travelling cop show Ashes to Ashes on the BBC yesterday! If so, let's discuss it! If not.... do something else! Or post anyways! Someone post! [/desperate]

Anyways, for a brief bit of information for those who don't know, Ashes to Ashes is a spin-off from hit TV-show Life on Mars, where a policeman, called Tyler, was shot and went back in time. This series has a similar premise, when a police psychologist who was looking at that time-shifting Tyler's psych profile was shot, goes back in time to the 80s, where she falls into the same world as the last guy. Oh, there's also magic TVs, Italian bars, and monochrome clowns.

So... what did you all think? If anything!

Tamburlaine
2008-02-08, 01:20 PM
I really liked it, but there are several things driving me crazy with curiosity about it though:
1.why does she meet Gene Hunt as well, is he involved with the crazy time travel/whatever thats going on?
2. Sam Tyler's body was never found. Do I sense an end of season cameo?
3.What the **** is going on with the crazy time travel and stuff?!

factotum
2008-02-08, 05:33 PM
I thought it was pretty obvious why she met Gene--she was involved in psychoanalysing Sam Tyler after he woke up from his coma in the last episode of Life on Mars (before he committed suicide by jumping off the top of the police building), and so the characters Sam had met during his coma were familiar to her. (Don't forget she said she was intending to write a book about Sam Tyler's case).

This is assuming that Gene Hunt and the others are just figments of her imagination, of course, which is what they apparently were for Sam Tyler.

Hopeless
2008-02-08, 05:50 PM
Hi, all you Brits out there! You may have seen new spin-off time-travelling cop show Ashes to Ashes on the BBC yesterday! If so, let's discuss it! If not.... do something else! Or post anyways! Someone post! [/desperate]

Anyways, for a brief bit of information for those who don't know, Ashes to Ashes is a spin-off from hit TV-show Life on Mars, where a policeman, called Tyler, was shot and went back in time. This series has a similar premise, when a police psychologist who was looking at that time-shifting Tyler's psych profile was shot, goes back in time to the 80s, where she falls into the same world as the last guy. Oh, there's also magic TVs, Italian bars, and monochrome clowns.

So... what did you all think? If anything!

Was really confused when her daughter managed to get past a police cordon and got held hostage allowing the bad guy to flee.
How she was shot I won't discuss since I don't know how to set up a spoiler zone but I had to admit when she woke up on that boat she looked really hot in that getup.
Hunt's opening remark almost left me in hysteric's but when she realised who they were and passed out in shock was almost as good.
Still I did wonder when a sequence near the end saw Hunt looking at a newspaper cutting of Tyler's character leaving me wondering what happened there.
Unlike Tyler the new character has a reason to want to go back and more importantly we might find out what that guy was talking about...

Maroon
2008-02-10, 01:10 PM
Sam Tyler was hit by a car, actually.

Ashes to Ashes seems to be about as equally awesome as Life on Mars (although, and I'd never thought I'd say this, the Pierrot isn't quite as scary as the test card girl). I think it's going to be a bit different from Life on Mars, considering she's either going to die after, oh, seven years (like Tyler) or she won't actually have been shot in the face in the first place and this is just her life flashing before her eyes, only not.

And though I don't mind being addressed as Brit, us continental folks watch BBC too. I still hate you for hogging BBC 3, though.

Hermit
2008-02-10, 01:17 PM
Loved the first episode. I was a little worried that it might not work quite so well sans Sam but it still seems top notch to me. Interesting to find out exactly what happened to Sam, too. I wonder if Annie will be mentioned and/or get a cameo at some point.

As for why she's met Gene Hunt, on the face of it it's down to her studying Sam's case in the present. However I have a sneaking suspicion there might be more to it than that, we shall see. I also agree the clown isn't yet as freaky as Test Card Girl but I love how it seems to be following her round. All in all a rather exellent start to a new series I think.

Oh, and I love their new barman already. I can see them frequenting the wine bar most episodes.