PDA

View Full Version : Wands w/ swift spells

Cowboy_ninja
2008-02-08, 02:29 PM
if you have a wand with say deflect, or any other spell that can be cast as a swift action, how does your turn play out?

can you use the wand as a swift action and hence use the wand in your other hand right after?

hinda hack-tastic dont you think?

Frosty
2008-02-08, 02:37 PM
Sure. You can use a swift action and a standard action, just like you can cast a quickened spell and a normal spell.

Fax Celestis
2008-02-08, 02:39 PM
Incorrect.

Activation

Wands use the spell trigger activation method, so casting a spell from a wand is usually a standard action that doesn’t provoke attacks of opportunity. (If the spell being cast, however, has a longer casting time than 1 standard action, it takes that long to cast the spell from a wand.) To activate a wand, a character must hold it in hand (or whatever passes for a hand, for nonhumanoid creatures) and point it in the general direction of the target or area. A wand may be used while grappling or while swallowed whole.

A swift action spell in a wand is still a standard action.

Frosty
2008-02-08, 02:40 PM
Incorrect. The Rules Compendium states that swift spells cast from wands only use a swift action.

Fax Celestis
2008-02-08, 02:43 PM
Incorrect. The Rules Compendium states that swift spells cast from wands only use a swift action.

Care to provide a quote?

Reel On, Love
2008-02-08, 02:44 PM
Rules Compendium changed that with the rationale that swift-action spells didn't exist when that text was written and it's supposed to take as long as casting the spell. So now you can in fact use swift-action wands as swift actions. Great with Wand Chamber weapons from... Dungeonscape? Complete Scoundrel? Something like that.

Can't quote you the text 'cause I never bought the thing.

Fax Celestis
2008-02-08, 02:46 PM
Rules Compendium changed that with the rationale that swift-action spells didn't exist when that text was written and it's supposed to take as long as casting the spell. So now you can in fact use swift-action wands as swift actions. Great with Wand Chamber weapons from... Dungeonscape? Complete Scoundrel? Something like that.

Can't quote you the text 'cause I never bought the thing.

Wand chambers are in Dungeonscape and they just got incredibly more awesome. So did wand bracers.

Frosty
2008-02-08, 02:48 PM
Rules Compendium page 85, second column, second paragraph from the bottom paraphrased says that spells trigger items cast spells in the same amount of time as casting that spell would normally.

Cowboy_ninja
2008-02-08, 02:48 PM
Wand chambers are in Dungeonscape and they just got incredibly more awesome. So did wand bracers.

what is a wand bracer?

also does that mean that you can make a quickened wand of a 0-lvl spell and use it as a.... swift action? ( i forget what kinda action quickened spells are, swift, free,or immediate?)

Frosty
2008-02-08, 02:52 PM
Quickened spells are Swift actions.

Cowboy_ninja
2008-02-08, 03:00 PM
Quickened spells are Swift actions.

and wand bracers?

Fax Celestis
2008-02-08, 03:05 PM
and wand bracers?

Wand bracers are in Dungeonscape. They let you access up to five wands as a free action.

EDIT: Like this:

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/dungeonscape_gallery/102749.jpg

LibraryOgre
2008-02-08, 03:32 PM
Rules Compendium changed that with the rationale that swift-action spells didn't exist when that text was written

Feather Fall. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/featherFall.htm)

Duke of URL
2008-02-08, 03:44 PM
Feather Fall is an immediate action (and the exception to the rule).

Reel On, Love
2008-02-08, 04:00 PM
Feather Fall. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/featherFall.htm)

Feather Fall wasn't, originally, an immediate action. I do't have the originalphrasing on hand, but it was something like "a free action that you may take even when it's not your turn". The point is, swift/immediate actions weren't codified in the rules yet, so wands didn't account for'em.

Person_Man
2008-02-08, 04:06 PM
Feather Fall was originally written as a free action, and the text of the spell specified that you could use it in reaction to falling. They updated it to an Immediate Action sometime after the Miniatures Handbook, when they created Swift and Immediate Actions.

If you wanted to use a Wand of Feather Fall though, you'd have to be physically holding it when you started falling. Or you could take the Quick Draw feat. Or you could have a Wand Bracer with one in it.

Also, every character with UMD that I play will now have Wand Bracers. There are a bunch of Ranger, Paladin, Blackguard, and Assassin spells that are Swift or Immediate actions. I'm looking forward to using them.

Reel On, Love
2008-02-08, 04:13 PM
Feather Fall was originally written as a free action, and the text of the spell specified that you could use it in reaction to falling. They updated it to an Immediate Action sometime after the Miniatures Handbook, when they created Swift and Immediate Actions.

If you wanted to use a Wand of Feather Fall though, you'd have to be physically holding it when you started falling. Or you could take the Quick Draw feat. Or you could have a Wand Bracer with one in it.

Also, every character with UMD that I play will now have Wand Bracers. There are a bunch of Ranger, Paladin, Blackguard, and Assassin spells that are Swift or Immediate actions. I'm looking forward to using them.

Yeah, swift-action wands make certain things gold. Especially when you consider that a lot of swift-action spells are first level. That Wand of Hunter's Mercy? 750 gp. Rhino's Rush? Same. Rogues have no excuse for not packing Grave/Golem/Plantstrike wands in their bracer.

Wand of Wraithstrike in your (gish's) greatsword's wand chamber? 4500 gp and cheap at twice the price.

It's definitely a Big Change that improves a lot of things.

LibraryOgre
2008-02-08, 04:20 PM

And it would still take a standard action to use according to the RAW in the core.

namo
2008-02-08, 04:22 PM
I thought it was a swift action to draw from the Wand Bracer (I'm AFB) ? Wand Chambers were always awesome.

Frosty
2008-02-08, 04:23 PM
What does Wand chamber do anyways?

Reel On, Love
2008-02-08, 04:26 PM
What does Wand chamber do anyways?

It's a slot in the item that has the wand chamber.
You put your wand in the slot. (Hurr hurr hurr, I'll bet you do, etc.)
Then you count as holding the wand just by holding the item (say, your greatsword), which means you don't need to draw it to use it. If you had a Wand of Lightning Bolt in your greatsword's wand chamber (which would be a crappy use of it, but hey, Rule Of Cool (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/RuleOfCool)) then you'd basically just point the hilt at your enemies and release the lightning bolt.

Frosty
2008-02-08, 04:36 PM
So you can just craft a wand chamber into any item you want?

Reel On, Love
2008-02-08, 04:46 PM
So you can just craft a wand chamber into any item you want?

There are restrictions. I can't tell you what they are at the moment, since I'm not near my books. You can put'em in weapons and shields, at the least, but I think that might be it.

CASTLEMIKE
2008-02-08, 04:47 PM
Then you could put a small wand inside of a larger wand since a stick could be considered a weapon like a pointy stick or small club.

Take it a step or two further and put them in a Meta Rod which could be considered a club.

Reel On, Love
2008-02-08, 04:51 PM
[QUOTE=CASTLEMIKE;3910008]Then you could put a small wand inside of a larger wand since a stick could be considered a weapon like a pointy stick or small club./QUOTE]
No, you could put a wand in a club. "Wand" isn't listed as a weapon, so you can't put a wand chamber in one.

UserClone
2008-02-08, 04:54 PM
From what book are Wand Chambers?
Wand Bracers?

Fax Celestis
2008-02-08, 04:56 PM
No, you could put a wand in a club. "Wand" isn't listed as a weapon, so you can't put a wand chamber in one.

You could put it inside some rods, if you wanted, because those are treated as maces.

Rods

Rods are scepterlike devices that have unique magical powers and do not usually have charges. Anyone can use a rod.
Physical Description

Rods weigh approximately 5 pounds.

They range from 2 feet to 3 feet long and are usually made of iron or some other metal. (Many, as noted in their descriptions, can function as light maces or clubs due to their sturdy construction.)

These sturdy items have AC 9, 10 hit points, hardness 10, and a break DC of 27.

From what book are Wand Chambers?
Wand Bracers?

Both are Dungeonscape.

Draz74
2008-02-08, 05:32 PM

No kidding! Good thing Battle Blessing doesn't change the wands' spells, or all Paladin wands would be swift actions too. Yeesh. :smalleek:

And it would still take a standard action to use according to the RAW in the core.

True, but that's not the most up-to-date RAW, now, is it? Rules Compendium explicitly counts as errata, according to official rules, anytime it contradicts Core.

LibraryOgre
2008-02-08, 06:13 PM
True, but that's not the most up-to-date RAW, now, is it? Rules Compendium explicitly counts as errata, according to official rules, anytime it contradicts Core.

Forgive me for not spending $30 for errata.

CASTLEMIKE
2008-02-08, 06:52 PM
[QUOTE=CASTLEMIKE;3910008]Then you could put a small wand inside of a larger wand since a stick could be considered a weapon like a pointy stick or small club./QUOTE]

From the SRD: A wand is a thin baton that contains a single spell of 4th level or lower. Each wand has 50 charges when created, and each charge expended allows the user to use the wand’s spell one time. A wand that runs out of charges is just a stick.

Physical Description
A typical wand is 6 inches to 12 inches long and about ¼ inch thick, and often weighs no more than 1 ounce. Most wands are wood, but some are bone. A rare few are metal, glass, or even ceramic, but these are quite exotic. Occasionally, a wand has a gem or some device at its tip, and most are decorated with carvings or runes. A typical wand has AC 7, 5 hit points, hardness 5, and a break DC of 16.

I disagree I have been around a lot of very creative players:

Small wand in a larger heavier disguised 8 ounce "Dart" style wand.

Small wand inside a large heavier disguised 1 pound "Siangham" wand.

Small wand inside a large heavier disguised 2 pound "Tonfa" style wand. (Probably pushing it with the handle on the wand although some players would say hey it can hold two wand chambers and possibly 3 short 6" wands)

Baron Malkar
2008-02-08, 07:05 PM
How bout' wand chambers in staffs to create more versitility (pretty sure i mispelled that).

I'm just thinking that if you could get several chambers in a staff a wiz or sor would never need to ever draw a wand.:smallbiggrin:

sikyon
2008-02-08, 07:08 PM
Forgive me for not spending $30 for errata.

It's alright, that's why we have forums right? Few people have EVERY book there is, so we get to pool our resources when it's not worth it to actually buy the book, but you need something from it.

Reel On, Love
2008-02-08, 07:15 PM
How bout' wand chambers in staffs to create more versitility (pretty sure i mispelled that).

I'm just thinking that if you could get several chambers in a staff a wiz or sor would never need to ever draw a wand.:smallbiggrin:

A quarterstaff is a double weapon, so you could have a wand chamber in each end. It would be both useful and stylish.

Talya
2008-02-08, 07:16 PM
It's alright, that's why we have forums right? Few people have EVERY book there is, so we get to pool our resources when it's not worth it to actually buy the book, but you need something from it.

The Internet is for...

...splatbooks.

Frosty
2008-02-08, 07:17 PM
Trekkie Monster says otherwise.