PDA

View Full Version : Oh, my poor players...

kieza
2008-02-08, 03:34 PM
I've just realized that my party is wanted by two dragonmarked houses, an assassins' guild, a corrupt section of the Breland government, the ENTIRE Karrnath government, and the Stormreach customs agents. Half of the Five Nations is no longer safe for them to inhabit.

The party is neutral to good. They've gotten in all this trouble due to political machinations and sheer bad luck.

How wanted have your characters (or groups, if a DM) ever become without actually being evil?

marjan
2008-02-08, 03:50 PM
Well, would saying that we seriously consider to move to Mournlands answer your question? :smalleek:

Lord Tataraus
2008-02-08, 03:52 PM
Well, in one campaign they got into a lot of trouble. It was a homebrew world where the three major powers were ruled over by epic-level characters (one human, one dragon and one really messed up wizard). The characters piss off two of the three directly and the third one indirectly (long story). So they escape and hook up with a god...who was banished by (mostly) every other god for destroying all but one continent and a few thousand people. They agree to help him get out of banishment. To do so they hook up with the overgod (the guy that watches over the world and the most powerful being possible). So they start on their quest to free the god. Along the way they found an underground city ruled by a king. When the city is invaded by frogpeople the king stands up and opens the ceiling (image a city the size of Chicago and the entire "sky is opened up). The players did not like some of the kings methods and thus one decided to attack him. I paused at this point and looked at my notes. This was the god of the underdark, LN. They were helping a CN god (which the king didn't know). Luckily, they had made friends with the NG good who lived nearby and with his help and the OVergod's protection, the king-god couldn't outright kill them, but the entire underdark was against them. They were in big trouble.

Reel On, Love
2008-02-08, 04:04 PM
How wanted have your characters (or groups, if a DM) ever become without actually being evil?

We were absolutely the most wanted people in Khorvaire. But then, we were Infamous Sky Pirates, and definitely not good.

Divine Storm
2008-02-08, 04:09 PM
The SW Saga game I'm running right now has my characters on the hunt by just about every single organization they've run into.

Two different hutt crime families are after them, Black Sun has started to take an interest in their affairs, they're on the run from Republic troops, they've pissed off a vengeful swoop gang on Nar Shaddaa, and a group of seperatists want back the droid prototype they helped steal, and a smaller crime syndicate on Coruscant wants their heads for supposedly killing their leader. There might even be more I can't remember.

They spend a lot of time talking their way out of trouble.

skeeter_dan
2008-02-08, 05:06 PM
We smashed an oversized airship through a couple of the towers of Sharn...you can probably guess how wanted we were.

Dorizzit
2008-02-08, 05:11 PM
Through a complicated series of events, every single country IN ALL OF TORIL wants the heads of a group of characters I'm in. And the entire city of Menzoberranzan. And several other underdark cities of various stripes.

Azerian Kelimon
2008-02-08, 05:17 PM
Meh, ANY hero worth his salt is wanted by a few countries or the like. I once had a Factotum who managed to outwit a whole guild of Genre Savvy Batman Wizards, AND make a fortune from stealing their silverware of doom.

GoC
2008-02-08, 06:05 PM
Meh, ANY hero worth his salt is wanted by a few countries or the like. I once had a Factotum who managed to outwit a whole guild of Genre Savvy Batman Wizards, AND make a fortune from stealing their silverware of doom.
That's pretty impressive.:smalleek:
How did it happen?

Admiral Squish
2008-02-08, 06:08 PM

Story! Story!

comicshorse
2008-02-08, 09:26 PM
Wanted by 6 Electors and the Witch-Hunters in a WFRP game. Eventually had to start a Empire wide civil war to get us out of trouble

expirement10K14
2008-02-08, 09:56 PM
We were about level 30 IIRC. My group "accidentally" pissed off Bane by using magic to kill every one of his followers in Faerun (Long, Long Story). So we "convinced" a demigod to attack him. This triggered a civil war of the gods, with us as the people with no team, we were SCREWED. Or so we thought.... Turns out gods aren't good at chasing gods, witch left us pretty safe, until Mystra came after us for disrupting the weave by destroying an artifact used to create the shadow weave. Damn the DM for creating his own ideas on the magic of Faerun causing us to piss off gods!

Jayngfet
2008-02-08, 10:09 PM

hang on a minute, batman-wizards, do you like need to be a wizard/duelist or some such thing, and what spells would a batmanwizard cast anyway?

do you specialize in a school or just wing it?

and genre savvy to, damn, theres gotta be some story there...

streakster
2008-02-08, 11:19 PM
A batman wizard is a wizard built in the logicninja style.
A genre savvy wizard is aware of the tropes surrounding them. See tvtropes for more info.

AslanCross
2008-02-08, 11:19 PM
hang on a minute, batman-wizards, do you like need to be a wizard/duelist or some such thing, and what spells would a batmanwizard cast anyway?

do you specialize in a school or just wing it?

and genre savvy to, damn, theres gotta be some story there...

Batman Wizard is a term for simply playing the Wizard as a Utility-control-problem solver guy instead of blowing stuff up. (Though the occassional disintegrate wouldn't hurt.) It's said to be far more effective than simply blasting, and isn't potentially life-threatening to your pals. They typically specialize in Divination to avoid banning two schools, and ban Evocation or Necromancy.

Telok
2008-02-09, 04:59 AM
In a game ending at 16th and 17th level, homebrew world.

The group was actively hunted by one evil religion for trashing and looting at least ten temples, disrupting the slave trade on one continent, and killing three high priests. We stumbled on them by accident at level four and kept raiding temples for the loot. At least two of those high priests were casting 9th level spells. In the end I think the clergy was getting divine guidance against us.

We were being attacked at random by dragons for holding, and trying to dispose of safely, an artifact that would allow the god of evil dragons to become manifest in the world and take over the souls of all dragons. So KoS to all evil dragons, and extremely bad relations will all other dragons.

We owed a debt to an epic dragon of some sort, to kill his 'brother' who ruled an empire. The empire was run by sorcerer-kings, or priest-kings, or lich-kings, something like that. Possibly all three, we never quite figured that out. But this dragon was behind it all. It was an evil empire too, the main state religion was the same one we whose temples we'd been trashing on another continent. It was in this empire that we looted two temples where we fought the high priests.

We also had parts (four out of five bits) of a key to an artifact that could control the entire shifter race. But we already had enough on our plates so we kept very very quiet about it. Nobody wanted shifter assassins hunting us too.

What finally killed us was the fighter types in the group refusing to use anti-scrying magic. They didn't want to use a magic item slot or shell out the money for slotless items to cover them. Mage Slayer feat won't save you from Blood to Water and Sudden Maximized and Empowered Disintegrate.

Swooper
2008-02-09, 09:00 AM
Well, half of a two-man party I played in back in 2nd Edition was wanted pretty bad by the local Dwarven Empire. I believe the ransom for his capture was 1000000gp near the end of the campaign... The reason? He killed their crown prince and looted his body. In a bar fight. That he started. Also, though the modern dwarves don't know that, through time travel he caused the entire dwarven race to hate the elves.

The funny part? He was a bounty hunter himself. :smalltongue:

Metal Head
2008-02-09, 09:13 AM
Well, my players have already pissed of someone that's gone through several intricate plans to kill them. They also broke out of a maximum security prison and are now wanted by several powerful dwarves. There's a pissed of innkeeper somewhere who's mad at them for blowing a hole in his ceiling, but he's never going to show up. And of course there's going to be more depending on what they do. I've planned it out, and it seems that they could potentially have the following coming down on them, if they screw up enough:

A pretty powerful necromancer
An entire nation
A person who thinks that he's a god
A cult of people who worship the god of disease
A horde of monsters
2 brains that don't like it when you break into their house.

Also, in a campaign in which I'm a player I seriously pissed off Cas, the god of vengeance. We captured two of his followers, tortured them, mutilated them for fun, and then killed one of them and stuck his head in a bag, I wrote a note that said things like "Cas sucks, you're all gonna die, I'm going to wage eternal war with you, you're all idiots, go to hell" and various insults saying that followers of Cas are only worshiping such an angry god to compensate for their "lack of length." I then stuck the note into the mouth of the head and went over to the temple of Cas, and handed the first person the head, and then ran like hell. We then came under attack, resulting in my capture. I was tortured, while my party members attempted to free me. The escape resulted in several missing roofs, lots of dead people, and an elf chick that was our captive. And that's where the campaign stopped before we got sidetracked with video games. I'll find out what happens next in a week.

Lady Tialait
2008-02-09, 09:26 AM
Hmmm...well there is a campaign I was running for almost 2 years. We played 3 time a week. Now into the epic levels build from level 1...let's see...Enimies..

*Vecna, and all his church.
*Ted, who can't be dead (yes...I know it's lame..but he's pretty powerful)
*The Druidic Orders...all of them...(fireball = bad)
*The Elan race....as a whole (they found out how Elans made babies..)
*Boccob, but not his church (They don't even know what they did here...teehee)
*The Church of Pelor. (They kinda...sorta...not on perpose..lost Pelor his Divinity)
*St. Cuthbert. (For breaking the laws of physics)
*The Whole Free city of GreyHawk...is not safe for them.
*Iuz, (They..beat him up...hard...)
*Yondalla (They made three-quarter-lings)

And there are more...but i can't remember at the moment.

rickvoid
2008-02-09, 09:36 AM
*The Church of Pelor. (They kinda...sorta...not on perpose..lost Pelor his Divinity)

:smalleek: :smallconfused:

GoC
2008-02-09, 02:15 PM
Hmmm...well there is a campaign I was running for almost 2 years. We played 3 time a week. Now into the epic levels build from level 1...let's see...Enimies..

*Vecna, and all his church.
*Ted, who can't be dead (yes...I know it's lame..but he's pretty powerful)
*The Druidic Orders...all of them...(fireball = bad)
*The Elan race....as a whole (they found out how Elans made babies..)
*Boccob, but not his church (They don't even know what they did here...teehee)
*St. Cuthbert. (For breaking the laws of physics)
*The Whole Free city of GreyHawk...is not safe for them.
*Iuz, (They..beat him up...hard...)
*Yondalla (They made three-quarter-lings)

And there are more...but i can't remember at the moment.
Story!

text

mabriss lethe
2008-02-09, 03:48 PM
Well, in a Rifts game a looooooong time ago, the group I was playing managed to piss off about half of the vampire intelligences in Mexico, Splyncryth, an unnamed Splugorth rival of splinnie's from the Three Galaxies. and by default, the entire population of the Kitani race. While in the 3Gs we managed to come to the attention of the several high tech weapons dealers, and eventually the Cosmo Knights. Back home, we made up the top 5 of most wanted list in the coalition, Got on the bad side of Alistair Dunscon and his Federation of Magic, Got kicked out of Dwoemer mainly just by being wanted by far too many people already. And I forgot about the Sunaj Assassins...We learned thier secrets. They wanted us to die.

On the upside, We had strong ties to several south american kingdoms, the pecos empire and Stormspire and an assortment of Cyber Knights. We were on speaking terms with the other half of the vampire intellegences. In the 3Gs we became the board of directors to a small military grade weapon's contractor where we sold retroengineered copies of coalition technology to backwater worlds., and recruited a small corporate army. We rose to heights of political power upon our return to rifts earth by playing all the factions off against one another. Built a technowizard enhanced pyramid in the ruins of old Chicago and enforced our autonomy by buying out the contract of ever mystic knight we could afford. (doing it all on Splyncryth and Dunston's dimes no less). My character wound up becoming something like a technowizard cybergod. (was playing a coalition spy-turned-antimonster, bargained with stormspire for technowizard upgrades that allowed him to tap directly into the power stored in the pyramid.)

Lady Tialait
2008-02-09, 08:55 PM
Story!

text

Oh...it's a loooong story...I'll give the Pelor Story..it's a bit shorter...

We have a cleric of himself , a Paladin of Heironus, a Warlock-Homebrew Wildmage.

They went to kill a Half-Celestial Half-Fiend thing. It was channeling Pelor's divinaity through itself. and granting spells to the clerics, They didn't know. The party were arrested by the church for 'necromatic crimes' unspesifyed. They fought all through the place and killed the BBEG...the half-and-half. And stoped a burst of light that was headed for the sky. captureing it in a bottle. that happened to be pelor's divinity......they gave it back. but not till the whole church had heard a wrong verion of the story.

let's see...

another thing I remember that the Whole Dwarven Race hates their guts...completely....they kinda killed Moridin.