PDA

View Full Version : Which to buy?

Felizginato12
2008-02-08, 06:01 PM
This is just a simple question that I want some opinions on. I just got some spending money and i'm wanting to buy a new game for the 360. I've decided to choose between either Lost Odyssey (spl?) and Devil May Cry 4. If anyone has played these games I would like to know what you think.

Tanks in advance.

Daze
2008-02-08, 07:44 PM
This is just a simple question that I want some opinions on. I just got some spending money and i'm wanting to buy a new game for the 360. I've decided to choose between either Lost Odyssey (spl?) and Devil May Cry 4. If anyone has played these games I would like to know what you think.

Tanks in advance.

Lost Odyssey has gotten good reviews. If you like Final Fantasy JRPG games, I'd recommend that. 4 discs though, be warned.

If you prefer beat-em ups, check out Devil May Cry... which also got good reviews. But that's not really my style of game.

Raider
2008-02-08, 08:44 PM
Don't know much about either.............good luck to you though

Raroy
2008-02-08, 09:44 PM
I'd think you would enjoy DMC4 more.

Archpaladin Zousha
2008-02-08, 11:02 PM
I've got similar questions. I'm getting an 360 when summer comes, and the only games I know I'm definately going to purchase are Mass Effect when I get the system, and Soul Calibur IV when it comes out. I'm wondering what else I should put on my list. I've heard Bioshock and the Orange Box are absolute musts, but I've never played an FPS of any kind before, so I don't know how much I'd enjoy them. Eternal Sonata looks intriguing, what with the whole game being about Chopin, but the closest I've ever gotten to playing a JRPG was Pokemon. I may look at Oblivion, but I've already played and beaten it on the PC, though I may reconsider, considering that Shivering Isles apparently makes it even more damn impressive than it already is. I've also given thought to buying Guitar Hero III or Rock Band for a party game, but I already know I suck at those games (at least Guitar Hero).

I'm primarily a fan of western RPGS, and am an especially big fan of Bioware, but I feel like I'm terrible at everything else. I'm just not really sure of what's out there that may be good. Hell, the only thing I know is right out are sports games. If I wanted to watch grown men running around chucking balls around and such, then I'd have watched the Superbowl!

What's Lost Odyssey like?

Thanks for any advice, and I'm sorry if this is trolling, I didn't intend for that.:smallredface:

Metal Head
2008-02-09, 07:51 AM
I've heard Bioshock and the Orange Box are absolute musts, but I've never played an FPS of any kind before, so I don't know how much I'd enjoy them.

Just rent one of them to see if you like them. Just because you've never played shooters doesn't mean you can't like them. I've never played a sports game, but that doesn't mean I can't enjoy them. Just set the games on the easiest difficulty (if you can) so that your inexperience doesn't end up killing you.

@Felizginato12: Devil May Cry 4 all the way.

Felizginato12
2008-02-09, 09:15 AM
Ughhh...idk I probably won't get DMC4. I played 3 (never owned it) and it was okay and I played DMC4 demo but it wasn't that amazing. I might just rent that one. And now that I know Lost Odyssey is going to have 4 discs i'm almost positive that i'm getting that.

I've got similar questions. I'm getting an 360 when summer comes, and the only games I know I'm definately going to purchase are Mass Effect when I get the system, and Soul Calibur IV when it comes out. I'm wondering what else I should put on my list. I've heard Bioshock and the Orange Box are absolute musts, but I've never played an FPS of any kind before, so I don't know how much I'd enjoy them. Eternal Sonata looks intriguing, what with the whole game being about Chopin, but the closest I've ever gotten to playing a JRPG was Pokemon. I may look at Oblivion, but I've already played and beaten it on the PC, though I may reconsider, considering that Shivering Isles apparently makes it even more damn impressive than it already is. I've also given thought to buying Guitar Hero III or Rock Band for a party game, but I already know I suck at those games (at least Guitar Hero).

Get Bioshock...it's really not like any other FPS. It's fast paced yet it's like a survival horror game (ammo conservation), you also get the use of plasmids (stem cell altering "drug" like injections that allow you to bend create different attacks and affects, it is sorta on the RPG side of things considering the different gene tonics you get, and the story (with the amazing graphics and art design) is one of the best in videogames by far.

The Orange Box is really good but the games are more of a FPS then Bioshock. If you have never played Half-Life 2 you may wanna get it for a great story and some really fun level design. The two exspansions are good as well (though short), Team Fortress 2 is fun yet there is not many online options to play by, and lastly Portal is not only funny as hell but ingenious in design.

Oblivion is always fun and Shivering Isles is a great exspansion (Knights of the Nine is sorta iffy though) and if your bored it's a great game to pop in.

[/QUOTE]
I'm primarily a fan of western RPGS, and am an especially big fan of Bioware, but I feel like I'm terrible at everything else. I'm just not really sure of what's out there that may be good. Hell, the only thing I know is right out are sports games. If I wanted to watch grown men running around chucking balls around and such, then I'd have watched the Superbowl!
[/QUOTE]

Well there aren't many RPGs on the 360 yet there are plenty of other great games. Have you thought about Assassin's Creed? Really fun game yet it slows down a bit near the end.

Metal Head
2008-02-09, 09:27 AM
Ughhh...idk I probably won't get DMC4. I played 3 (never owned it) and it was okay

:smalleek: What? But...how could you even say that. It's like kicking a puppy. Devil May Cry 3 was so awesome. It was hard, but it was an amazing game. Now I can't ever talk to you. Look at what you've done!

Artanis
2008-02-09, 01:28 PM
I've heard Bioshock and the Orange Box are absolute musts, but I've never played an FPS of any kind before, so I don't know how much I'd enjoy them.
One of the great things about both Bioshock and Orange Box (that I've heard, at any rate, I can't afford either :smallfrown: ) is that Bioshock and Portal don't rely on typical "shooter-ness".

Bioshock is, technically, a shooter. But if it's anything even remotely close to System Shock and System Shock 2 (and I hear it's VERY close to the feel of those), which I HAVE played, then it's almost more of an RPG/Horror game that just happens to be first-person and use guns. The atmosphere is amazing, and one of the major parts of the game is customizing your character to progress through the game the way YOU want to progress through the game. Anything from hacking security systems to do the work for you to messing with the environment so as to create deadly traps to pumping up psionic/psi-like powers to let you fry enemies with electricity to pumping yourself up so as to beat literally everything to death with a wrench* to, yes, charging in guns a' blazin with suped-up machine guns. All in a setting that is horrifying, disturbing, and downright scary to the point that Resident Evil looks like Super Mario 64 in comparison.

Portal is a puzzle game, plain and simple. Yes, you get a gun (as in one ever), but it's a portal gun that lets you solve problems, and all the fighting involves an occasional gun turret that you use the portal gun to take out using the environment. Stuff like shooting a portal underneath the gun turret to make it fall out of the ceiling at a safe spot (falling over and thus deactivating when it hits the ground) to shooting a portal underneath a box so it drops out of the ceiling onto the turret to knock it over. You can get a feel for the sort of thing I'm talking about at Newgrounds, which has a 2d Flash "version" of Portal (http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/404612).

Also, the Orange Box (http://orange.half-life2.com/) comes with other games: Half-Life 2, Half-Life 2 Episodes 1 and 2, and Team Fortress, all of which I've heard lots of good things about (and Half-Life 2 is one of the best shooters I've ever played), especially Team Fortress, which is supposed to be downright absurdly good.

And if all else fails, you can just borrow them from a buddy and try them out beforehand :smallbiggrin:

*And yes, this WAS possible in System Shock 2, because there was a Psionic power that jacked up your melee damage to downright absurd levels :smalltongue:

Archpaladin Zousha
2008-02-09, 04:41 PM
Get Bioshock...it's really not like any other FPS. It's fast paced yet it's like a survival horror game (ammo conservation), you also get the use of plasmids (stem cell altering "drug" like injections that allow you to bend create different attacks and affects, it is sorta on the RPG side of things considering the different gene tonics you get, and the story (with the amazing graphics and art design) is one of the best in videogames by far.

I'll admit it's tempting, judging by the clips I've seen, and after watching the Zero Punctuation review I only became more interested. I've never really played a survival horror game before though, so basically when I buy this Xbox 360 it's going to be a crash course in "real" gaming, as opposed to the namby-pamby stuff I normally play, like Neverwinter Nights 2.:smallfrown:

The Orange Box is really good but the games are more of a FPS then Bioshock. If you have never played Half-Life 2 you may wanna get it for a great story and some really fun level design. The two exspansions are good as well (though short), Team Fortress 2 is fun yet there is not many online options to play by, and lastly Portal is not only funny as hell but ingenious in design.

I've heard Half-Life 2 was difficult, but then I frankly don't know much about it except that it's got a story so good that comparing it to other games is like comparing Herman Melville's Moby-**** to a Garfield strip.

Oblivion is always fun and Shivering Isles is a great exspansion (Knights of the Nine is sorta iffy though) and if your bored it's a great game to pop in.

My main issue with Oblivion is that I was a bad player with the PC version, relying heavily on cheats in order to survive.:smallfrown:

Well there aren't many RPGs on the 360 yet there are plenty of other great games. Have you thought about Assassin's Creed? Really fun game yet it slows down a bit near the end.

My brother definately plans on buying that, but I doubt I'd like it that much. I sat with my brother, guiding him through all three Prince of Persia games for the Gamecube, and I got so tense just from watching him play those games that playing Assassin's Creed myself would probably cause the controller to fly out of my hands because they're shaking so much.:smallfrown:

I just feel like I'm a bad gamer, since I've restricted myself to one genre, and even worse, one style of gaming, when I should have been more open minded about what I play.:smallfrown: :smallfrown: :smallfrown:

Felizginato12
2008-02-09, 04:59 PM
:smalleek: What? But...how could you even say that. It's like kicking a puppy. Devil May Cry 3 was so awesome. It was hard, but it was an amazing game. Now I can't ever talk to you. Look at what you've done!

Well bare in mind I never played the game all the way through. And I would never kick a puppy...maybe a cat but not a puppy.

Come on Metal Head don't let this be the end of us! I can change!

Felizginato12
2008-02-09, 05:04 PM

Well bare in mind I never played the game all the way through. And I would never kick a puppy...maybe a cat but not a puppy.

Come on Metal Head don't let this be the end of us! I can change!

Felizginato12
2008-02-09, 05:19 PM
I'll admit it's tempting, judging by the clips I've seen, and after watching the Zero Punctuation review I only became more interested. I've never really played a survival horror game before though, so basically when I buy this Xbox 360 it's going to be a crash course in "real" gaming, as opposed to the namby-pamby stuff I normally play, like Neverwinter Nights 2.:smallfrown:

Actually the one thing I dislike about Bioshock is that it is very easy. When you die you just spwan at a Vita chamber and any foes damaged stay hurt. It is not as unforgiving as other survival horrors like the first Resident Evil or others but it draws themes from that genre.

I've heard Half-Life 2 was difficult, but then I frankly don't know much about it except that it's got a story so good that comparing it to other games is like comparing Herman Melville's Moby-**** to a Garfield strip.

It gets hard at a few parts but is sorta easy most of the way through. As long as you can find cover and use the right weapons you will be fine playing it.

My main issue with Oblivion is that I was a bad player with the PC version, relying heavily on cheats in order to survive.:smallfrown:

lol I don't think Oblivion takes much skill anyways. Hell; I find myself decreasing the difficulty on certain parts just because I get ganged up.

My brother definately plans on buying that, but I doubt I'd like it that much. I sat with my brother, guiding him through all three Prince of Persia games for the Gamecube, and I got so tense just from watching him play those games that playing Assassin's Creed myself would probably cause the controller to fly out of my hands because they're shaking so much.:smallfrown:

I just feel like I'm a bad gamer, since I've restricted myself to one genre, and even worse, one style of gaming, when I should have been more open minded about what I play.:smallfrown: :smallfrown: :smallfrown:

Now lets not get too down on ourselves. Most games don't take much skill and they can be put in easier difficulties for more casual gamers. Granted games like Ninja Gaiden or Counter Strike are probably not for you but many games are just as fun on easy as they are on hard.

And assassin's creed is worth it. I only had trouble fighting one "boss" and he was a badass templar so I suppose it made sense.

Dumbledore lives
2008-02-09, 06:07 PM

Thanks for any advice, and I'm sorry if this is trolling, I didn't intend for that.:smallredface:

I'd suggest Gears of War as it has one of the best environments I've seen in a game. Assassin's Creed is great and has become one of my favorite games. There are a lot of good games on teh arcade too and I played a demo for Dead Rising which was awesome. I really couldn't say anything about RPGs but Halo 3 is pretty much a must, even if you haven't played FPSs before. Not the best game out there but pretty good, and Guitar Hero is pretty good. I think someone mentioned Mass Effect and that is a pretty awesome game, as is Call of Duty 4. Sorry if I've only mentioned the standard games but it's all I can think of now.

Crispy Dave
2008-02-09, 10:32 PM

ok there are tons of good games for the 360 if you have a pc try out some free fps's msot of them arent the greatest examples but they give you a gist

Reinboom
2008-02-09, 10:47 PM

If you let personal interests blind you, I believe, you are doing the person you refuse to ultimately talk to a favor.

And I would never kick a puppy...maybe a cat but not a puppy.

Why would you blatantly hurt a domestic animal, notably one that provides far less threat, at all for nonnatural reasons? :smallannoyed:

And even if it is ultimately for 'natural' reasons, dogs apparently taste better than cats, as well. :smallannoyed:

--aside--
for the original question:
I would choose Devil May Cry for on the basis of the earlier DMC games.

Icewalker
2008-02-09, 10:52 PM
Mass Effect looks awesome but I know little about it. I'd get it if I had a 360.

Bioshock is very cool. The Orange Box is amazing, Half-Life 2 is awesome, and Portal has developed a huge following with good reason.

DMC4 looks pretty good. I have the demo on PS3, and it seems quite fun, it is a very slash-em-up game, so if you don't like fighting of that style the game will suck for you, but if you do if it is half as good ad DMC3 (preferably less hard) it will be excellent. I was a big fan of 3, I borrowed it from a friend for an extended period of time, because I didn't know anything about it. I'll probably buy 4. DMC3 was really really overly hard though, I believe...my friend had the special edition, which is way easier, as it gives you continues instead of resetting if you die on the boss who 2-shots you at the end of the half hour level. :smalleek:

Myatar_Panwar
2008-02-09, 10:58 PM
Bioshock is absolutely amazing in my opinion. My only regret is that is was a bit short, I probably should of rented it, maybe twice. On a side note, anyone here get Gamefly? Ive been thinking about signing up, isn't it basically the Netflix of video games? Basic plan cost?

Crispy Dave
2008-02-10, 01:52 AM
Bioshock is absolutely amazing in my opinion. My only regret is that is was a bit short, I probably should of rented it, maybe twice. On a side note, anyone here get Gamefly? Ive been thinking about signing up, isn't it basically the Netflix of video games? Basic plan cost?

i thought about it its just like netflix and its 15 bucks for 1 game at a time or 25 for two at a time

Metal Head
2008-02-10, 10:10 AM
If you let personal interests blind you, I believe, you are doing the person you refuse to ultimately talk to a favor.

This is what I get for being sarcastic :smallsigh:

Archpaladin Zousha
2008-02-10, 06:56 PM
Mass Effect is pretty much the only game I know I'm going to get.

One question though, Felizginato12. How can you say that most games don't require that much skill? You're talking to someone who fails simple songs on Guitar Hero in Easy mode. Looks like they require some skill to me.

Raroy
2008-02-10, 07:22 PM
Hes probably been gaming for years. Aspects of skill carriers over, it's not as if you have to start all over when you play a new game. If you've been playing fps for years your going to be much better then someone who just started. Tip - cheats make you weak.

Failing songs on easy? I thought most people would always be above 80% always on easy mode.

If you want to build skill in games, start with an easy platformer such as ratchet and clank and then move on to an fps. Plat formers will teach how to react and an fps will increase your speed. Gah, now I'm thinking like this is some kind of rpg. Mass effect is very easy, and so is jade empire for the xbox (made by the same people).

You'll get use to it, eventually anyway.

Archpaladin Zousha
2008-02-10, 09:57 PM
That's the thing, I am weak. I never really bothered with building a proper character in Morrowind or Oblivion. I just wanted to do all the quests and find out the full story and that's it. The only games I've played without cheating, like Fable and Jade Empire (the special edition for the PC) are ridiculously easy.

And as for my skill at Guitar Hero, yes I am that terrible. I can usually do pretty decent starting out, getting a few wrong buttons on the way, and then getting to the solo and missing notes left and right because they're coming way too fast for me to react. I'm pathetic!:smallfrown:

Hell, I've never even played a Mario game. I'm worse than pathetic, I'm a disgrace to gamers everywhere!

Raroy
2008-02-10, 10:35 PM
Why do you think you are so weak? I know people with soul could always get good at a game. My cousin has soul, I think you need to be mentored. You don't even need soul, you could just develop a niche. What was the style of play you had before?

Archpaladin Zousha
2008-02-10, 11:50 PM
My brother's played all sorts of games (Legend of Zelda, Prince of Persia, Medal of Honor, Resident Evil 4) and he always made it look so easy. When I tried, I sucked. I'd panic too easily and I'd always die from not reacting fast enough in a fight, mis-timing something or mis-calculating a jump or something. I guess I'm basically jealous, especially since my brother practically abandoned video games for musical instruments. He never even played Guitar Hero, saying that in the time it takes to practice and become a master of Guitar Hero, you could learn how to play a real guitar and actually do something worthwhile with it (Of course he forgets the fact that not everyone is a music major like him:smallmad: ).

As for what I've played, it's been pretty much RPGs, RPGs and one or two fighting games (Soul Calibur II and the Super Smash Bros. series, and the only times I win at those are when I get lucky, since my combat strategy is just idiotic button mashing). The thing about all the RPGs I've played is that they're all ones where you can either pause in the middle of stuff to issue commands to your companions (like the Neverwinter Nights series and the KOTOR series) or have been so ridiculously piss-easy that I can breeze through it in less than a month (like Fable: The Lost Chapters and Jade Empire: Special Edition).

Other than that, I've tried a number of other games, but these have been mostly for the Game Boy systems, or the few times I dare to try a console like the GameCube or Wii. These I've usually abandoned, whether it's due to frustration from failing so much (I was so hopeless with just the first levels of Twilight Princess, and my brother pretty much fought the second dungeon boss for me because I was panicking so much). Meanwhile, I watch my brother play these games, and though there are a few nail-biting moments (or a lot when he was playing the Prince of Persia games), he was infinitely better than me.

Most of my experience with gaming comes from watching my brother and reading the guides for him. That was sort of the system we had for many of the games we enjoyed. That way I got the storyline, and he didn't have to frequently pause to check the guide. It worked out pretty well, but at the same time, I'm still more a spectator than a player. I guess the only way to put it is that when a game implies that I need skill I get scared off because I feel incompetent. But I feel like I'm de-railing the thread whining about my inadequacies like this. Pay it no mind.:smallfrown:

Drascin
2008-02-11, 03:37 AM
Thing is, Zousha, you're never going to get better if you don't try. And if you keep using cheats, not only you'll not advance, you'll get worse. Believe me, I know from experience - I have sucked immeasurable amounts in anything RTS related ever since I used cheats to beat Warcraft 3's campaign to see the plot.

So, start small, pick a genre you enjoy (try a few easy examples of a few genres and decide), and start practicing. We know you're going to suck at first - it's only natural. I still remember when I fumbled and tripped over a 2-feet difficulty song in Stepmania - man, that was embarrasing, especially for an overachiever like me surrounded by friends who could do 9-feet songs easily. But if you insist, you're going to end up getting better.

For example, I myself have been without a traditional 2-D fighter for years. And now decided to pick up Melty Blood. Needless to say, even the CPU hands me my ass in a silver platter repeteadly. And that hurts me a lot, and I get the urge to shut the game and forget about it (remember, overachiever - nothing other than perfection feels like accomplishing to me). But I get enough force of will to not do so, and keep pressing continue, and as such, I'm improving, to the point I am starting to get pretty confident that I will be able to become pretty proficient with Len in a month or so.

The main thing to remember is to keep the mentality: you are training. There is no fail as long as you are even slightly improving. The only time you're failing is when you give up. So come on, fire up that PC and start gaming - maybe get your bro to give you a small crash course first, if he's as good as you say, but then start playing by yourself. PvE is generally a good way to acquire basic dexterities.

Nonah_Me
2008-02-13, 10:41 PM
Gaming is a skill. It is not a talent. As such, it can become better with practice.

Now, of course, there are certain talents that make your gaming skill level up. (heh) Good hand eye coordination. Quick reflexes. The ability to prioritize. However, these things are like the starting bonuses of races in D&D (a game that also requires skill and can be honed over time). That +2 to reflexes gives a gamer an edge, but not an insurmountable one.

I am also embarassed to say that I had NEVER beat Super Mario Bros. (from the NES) until I was WELL out of high school. And I always do horribly with RTS games.

One other thing: I don't suggest playing games to relax (Unless you're playing that scuba diving simulator.) Many games amp up the tension by a factor of ten; I could never understand how people could say they played counterstrike and then drink a glass of warm milk before going to bed. I always got so high strung during that.

Archpaladin Zousha
2008-02-14, 12:07 AM
I know what you mean. Whenever I play a game, I have to take breaks because my hands are starting to get cold and prickly from gripping the controller so tightly!

Raroy
2008-02-14, 12:14 AM
Played some of dmc 4. It's sadly a lot easier then 3 but at least the story (what's composed of it anyway) seems better.

Going to get Lost Odesy soon (It always amazes me how my brother always buys games but never plays them again after the first time.) Should be able to list their strengths and weakness.

Drascin
2008-02-14, 01:44 AM
One other thing: I don't suggest playing games to relax (Unless you're playing that scuba diving simulator.) Many games amp up the tension by a factor of ten; I could never understand how people could say they played counterstrike and then drink a glass of warm milk before going to bed. I always got so high strung during that.

Well, that depends a lot on the game... and on your outlook of the thing and your personality, of course. I remember having a friend try Mario Galaxy. I told him it was relaxing, as the pretty colors and and rounded environments are almost terapeuthic to my eyes (hell, I play it stretched and with the hand holding the nunchuck behind my head), but he proceeded to enter a nervous state due to the just-made-it jumps and enemies getting near and such, which ended with him telling me "You call THIS relaxing?!?!". I still do not understand how one can get nervous playing that game, but different people I guess.

warty goblin
2008-02-14, 10:20 AM
My advice:

1) Bioshock, haven't played it, want to play it, almost certainly worth getting.

2) I would probably avoid Call of Duty 4 if I were you. The single-player demo I played left me with a distinct taste of 'eh' in my mouth, and it sounds like you are probably not much for multiplayer.

3) On that note, Gears of War might not be such a bad fit for you. On Casual, the game's pretty easy, and the cover system and regenerating health means that most of the time you can take a second or two to think things over.