PDA

View Full Version : Celia's talisman

d'Bwobsling
2008-02-08, 07:12 PM
My apologies if this has allready been posted.

In the most recent stirp Celia says that the talisman is designed to break by magical energy, so why didn't it shater when Xykon blasted Roy with meteor swarm? Its a ninth level spell, and Tsukiko may be high level, but she can't cast anything that powerful even with the bonus of using an electricity spell.

Surfing HalfOrc
2008-02-08, 07:17 PM
I'm thinking Roy's body blocked the blast, or that the meteors from the Meteor Blast don't constitute "magical energy" the way Tsukiko's Orb of Electricity did.

FujinAkari
2008-02-08, 07:42 PM

In the most recent stirp Celia says that the talisman is designed to break by magical energy, so why didn't it shater when Xykon blasted Roy with meteor swarm? Its a ninth level spell, and Tsukiko may be high level, but she can't cast anything that powerful even with the bonus of using an electricity spell.

Celia specifically says its designed to break to magical energy, but is weak to electrical damage so sometimes will weaken if the wearer is hit by electricity. This strongly implies that it is designed to NOT break merely because the user gets hit by magic, except sometimes that happens to electrical damage anyway.

Kurald Galain
2008-02-08, 07:43 PM
Technically, the items you're carrying can only be affected if specifically targeted by an attack (e.g. sunder) or when rolling a one on your saving throw. Meteor Swarm doesn't give a saving throw to its primary target.

Chronos
2008-02-08, 09:23 PM
Meteor Swarm doesn't give a saving throw to its primary target.It doesn't necessarily give a saving throw to its primary target. If the attack roll fails, the target still gets a save.

Still, though, it's not hard to imagine that Roy just didn't roll a 1.

Souju
2008-02-08, 09:27 PM
was Xykon even targeting roy, or was he targeting the dragon? Not that it really matters since the result would be the same.

Quercus_Arbor
2008-02-08, 09:44 PM

Meteor swarm does bludgeoning damage, and mayyeb fire damage, not energy damage

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/meteorSwarm.htm

Jayngfet
2008-02-08, 10:24 PM
was Xykon even targeting roy, or was he targeting the dragon? Not that it really matters since the result would be the same.

he hit the dragon, roy would be ravioli if he was the target, or maybe linguini...

SPoD
2008-02-08, 10:49 PM
Celia specifically says its designed to break to magical energy, but is weak to electrical damage so sometimes will weaken if the wearer is hit by electricity. This strongly implies that it is designed to NOT break merely because the user gets hit by magic, except sometimes that happens to electrical damage anyway.

This.

The implication is that normally, you need to actively shoot the talisman to break it, but that electricity sometimes breaks it by accident. I'm sure this is an intentional implication specifically to answer the question you asked, too, since Roy was hit only by fire magic.

Presumably, Haley was never hit by any electrical spell between the battle of Azure City and her fight with Tsukiko; a very likely situation, given how she talks about how easily she can dodge Tsukiko's evocations.

SPoD
2008-02-08, 10:50 PM
Meteor swarm does bludgeoning damage, and mayyeb fire damage, not energy damage

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/meteorSwarm.htm

Fire damage IS energy damage. The five energy types in D&D are fire, cold, electricity, acid, and sonic.

Roderick_BR
2008-02-08, 11:32 PM
Fire damage IS energy damage. The five energy types in D&D are fire, cold, electricity, acid, and sonic.
I always found weird as acid and sonic are considered "energy", but I just roll with it.

As for the OP, I agree with the others: When Xykon hit Roy, he passed his save, meaning that he didn't need to roll save for his talisman. When Tsukiko hit Haley, she failed her save for the talisman (that doesn't gain the benefit of her Evasion ability).

Or maybe it was supposed to break only with electricity, even if Celia said "energy damage".