PDA

View Full Version : Magic Circle against Evil

Ellisthion
2008-02-08, 08:29 PM
The area is listed as "10-ft.-radius emanation from touched creature". Does this mean:
(a): That all creatures withing 10ft on casting are affected, and will continue to be?
(b): That at any point in time, all creatures within 10ft of the target are affected, and people can move in and out of the effect?

Also:
*It says "All creatures within the area": this sounds like it includes enemies? Can you exclude them from the spell, or are you condemned to give them protection?

Bag_of_Holding
2008-02-08, 08:42 PM
The area is listed as "10-ft.-radius emanation from touched creature". Does this mean:
(a): That all creatures withing 10ft on casting are affected, and will continue to be?
(b): That at any point in time, all creatures within 10ft of the target are affected, and people can move in and out of the effect?

Also:
*It says "All creatures within the area": this sounds like it includes enemies? Can you exclude them from the spell, or are you condemned to give them protection?

(a) As long as they stay inside the area they should gain the benefit, yes.
(b) It's emanation, so even if the creature was within the AoE when the spell was cast will lose its protection outside the radius. The spell moves with the targetted creature.

Also: If a evil creature casts Magic Circle against Evil (Ur-priest, for example, can do this) then other non-evil creatures who are within the area will gain the normal benefits of Protection From Evil.

If you gain total cover from the source of the emanation, you don't gain any benefit/ill effect of the spell. This way, you can be protected from spells such as fireball (burst area), antimagic field (emanation) or the dreaded Mordie's disjunction (burst area). Mages, wield tower shields.

marjan
2008-02-08, 08:47 PM
The creatures that are within the emanation are affected, but once they live the area they don't have protection from evil on them anymore.

You cannot exclude them, just like you cannot exclude your allies from area of fireball. I don't see a problem even with the enemies being affected, you are good or neutral so protection from evil on someone else doesn't affect you at all.

ASCIISkull
2008-02-09, 12:21 AM
I don't see a problem even with the enemies being affected, you are good or neutral so protection from evil on someone else doesn't affect you at all.

It would also protect them from mind controlling effects.

The_Snark
2008-02-09, 12:54 AM
And if you have evil allies, it may end up hindering them.

Ellisthion
2008-02-09, 08:27 AM
Great, thanks folks!

Yeah, that's why I asked.

marjan
2008-02-09, 08:50 AM

Yes, you're right. I always thought that this only works against mind control of evil creatures, but it works against all creatures (I wonder why).