PDA

View Full Version : Calvin and Hobbes

Inhuman Bot
2008-02-09, 12:42 PM
Hello, everyone. Has anyone else read calvin and hobbes when they were younger? if so what do you remember abot it, favourite quotes and whatnot. (I suck, I know)

warty goblin
2008-02-09, 01:03 PM
...I still reread the entire run about once a year...

EvilElitest
2008-02-09, 01:09 PM
...I still reread the entire run about once a year...

Me too
from
EE

Lawliet
2008-02-09, 01:13 PM
I still like to read it sometimes, it's funny as hell... Favorite quotes? Well, some of the ones that i like:

"Calvin: I'm a genius, but I'm a misunderstood genius.
Hobbes: What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin: Nobody thinks I'm a genius. "

"Hobbes : "It says here that by the age of 6, most children have seen a million muders on television."
Calvin : "I find that very disturbing...it means I've been watching all the wrong channels."

"Calvin's Dad: The world isn't fair, Calvin.
Calvin: I know, but why isn't it ever unfair in my favor?"

Yeah, that's some of the ones i like =P

GoC
2008-02-09, 01:18 PM
<3

I've got three Calvin&Hobbes books but my favorites are his snowmen so I can't really give quotes.

H. Zee
2008-02-09, 01:33 PM
Calvin: *Sat quietly in class*
Calvin: WHAT AM I DOING STUCK IN HERE ON THIS BEAUTIFUL DAY?!? THIS IS THE ONLY LIFE I'VE GOT!!! *runs*
Miss Wormwood (after catching him): Next time, just try a glass of water and a few deep breaths.

Hee hee. Bill Watterson is a genius.

Green Bean
2008-02-09, 01:47 PM
I picked up the big "every strip ever published" collection a few years ago. Every so often I'll read through the whole run and I can't believe how it still cracks me up. Bill Watterson was a man who knew how to bring the funny.

Also:

Ms. Wormwood: Calvin! What state do we live in?
Calvin: Denial.
Ms. Wormwood: *sigh* I can't argue with that.

Catch
2008-02-09, 01:56 PM
Oh man, I got every strip ever published for Chrirstmas two years ago, but the damn thing almost gave me a hernia from carrying it. I've adored Watterson's comics since, well, since I was about Calvin's age and I'll be (eventually) getting a C&H tattoo. (This (http://img144.imageshack.us/img144/7601/calvinwagonlc8.png), probably.)

The_Snark
2008-02-09, 04:02 PM
Oh man, Calvin and Hobbes. That was a great comic. To this day, every noir film and detective story I read or watch reminds me of Tracer Bullet.

Rutee
2008-02-09, 04:04 PM
Calvin: Dad, are you really just pushing me so that you can live vicariously through me and make up for insatisfying childhood?
Dad: If I were, you can bet I'd be re-evaluating my strategy.
Calvin: Mom, dad keeps insulting me.

Oh Calvin, how you inspire us all. And make those of us in florida jealous of the states that see snow. But mostly, inspire.

zeratul
2008-02-09, 04:04 PM
I still read it whenever I feel so inclined. An amazing comic, and undoubtedly timeless.

Azerian Kelimon
2008-02-09, 04:11 PM
Must be one of the top 5 comics of history. Pity it was the thing hit fiercest by rule 34.

Sucrose
2008-02-09, 04:14 PM
Aye, quite possibly the best comic I've ever read.

One of my favorites (paraphrased): "Maybe the greatest sign that there's intelligent life somewhere in the universe is that it hasn't contacted us."

SDF
2008-02-09, 04:16 PM
I own the complete anthology bookset thingy. My favorite comic ever.

What do you think we're put on earth to do? What's our purpose in life? Why are we here?

We're here to devour each other alive.

d'Bwobsling
2008-02-09, 04:28 PM
Calvin may not be very smart, but he has an incredible vocabulary.

my favorite quote would be
Calvin: the ends justify the means as far as I'm concerned
*Hobbes pushes him into a mud puddle*
Calvin: what did you do that for!
Hobbes: the ends justify the means. you were in my way and now you're out of my way
Calvin: I didn't mean for everyone you dult, just for me
Hobbes: Ah

rubakhin
2008-02-09, 04:58 PM
Calvin: Happiness isn’t good enough for me! I demand euphoria!

(If I have a motto, this is it.)

RandomLogic
2008-02-09, 05:06 PM
I have most of the books. I'm probably missing one or two.

I used to bring them to study hall to read in middle school and some of the girls that would sit close to me would make fun of me for giggling when I was reading em.

AslanCross
2008-02-09, 05:59 PM
Been reading Calvin and Hobbes since I was a kid.

Hobbes: How come we play War and not Peace?
Calvin: Too few role models
Calvin: I'll be the fearless American defender of liberty and democracy and you can be the loathsome godless communist oppressor. We're at war, so if you get hit with a dart, you're dead and the other side wins okay?
The two immediately fire at each other and both are 'dead' by the rules of war.
Calvin then comments "Kind of a stupid game isn't it?" Hobbes just stands in agreement.

There was also another strip where Calvin rants on and on about how knowledge prevents action, then tosses a book over his shoulder because a man of action like him couldn't afford that.
Hobbes replies, rolling his eyes: "You're ignorant, but at least you act on it."

Moff Chumley
2008-02-09, 07:32 PM
Oh, man, I learned most of the English language from Calvin. Mr. Waterson is indeed a genius. My favorite quote:
Calvin: Mom, can I go buy a satanic Heavy Metal CD, please?
Mom: Calvin, if any of those musicians meant what they were singing, they would've already committed ritual suicide.
Calvin: So commercial nihilism can't be trusted?
Mom: 'Fraid not.

kpenguin
2008-02-09, 08:17 PM
Shouldn't this go in comic books?

Anyway, Calvin and Hobbes always gave me a few giggles.

Rutee
2008-02-09, 08:37 PM
Oh, man, I learned most of the English language from Calvin. Mr. Waterson is indeed a genius. My favorite quote:
Mom: Calvin, if any of those musicians meant what they were singing, they would've already committed ritual suicide.

Oh good, it's not just me. Yesh, I learned tons of vocab from Calvin.

Tengu
2008-02-09, 08:53 PM
It's a pity that I wasn't subjected to much C&H in my childhood. It could have been more fun (though even without that I'm not complaining).

And make those of us in florida jealous of the states that see snow.

States? Hah, what about countries? Here in Poland each winter means at least five feet of snow, plows installed on every car and bears rummaging through trash cans. Snowmen are almost an ethnic minority.

No, not really. There was barely any snow last Christmas.

Thanatos 51-50
2008-02-09, 08:58 PM
My personally favorite Calvin and Hobbes Arc/Line/Compilation book title:

"Scientific Progress goes Boink?"

Also, anything with Spaceman Spiff is gold.

Rogue 7
2008-02-10, 12:07 AM
God, I love Calvin and Hobbes. Too many great quotes to name, but I think I'll go with my yearbook senior quote-

"If we couldn't laugh at things that don't make sense, we couldn't react to a lot of life."-Hobbes.

Aaand, another, just for kicks.

"Man, did I get into trouble at school today. I don't even want to talk about it."
"...Did it have anything to do with all those sirens about noon?"
"I SAID I didn't want to talk about it."

averagejoe
2008-02-10, 12:22 AM
I picked up the big "every strip ever published" collection a few years ago. Every so often I'll read through the whole run and I can't believe how it still cracks me up. Bill Watterson was a man who knew how to bring the funny.

Also:

Ms. Wormwood: Calvin! What state do we live in?
Calvin: Denial.
Ms. Wormwood: *sigh* I can't argue with that.

This strip was why my location was listed as "denial" for awhile.

Calvin and Hobbes got me through childhood as I (one who rarely ever got into trouble, and has never been grounded) lived vicariously through his adventures. I got the complete set not long ago. It's pretty much my favorite comic ever.

I really like the math strips:

Calvin: Psst, Suzie, what's 7+6?
Suzie: Three hundred billion gazillion.
Calvin: Oh, thanks for the big help!
Suzie: That's a three followed by 85 zeroes.
Calvin: Ah! I knew that.

Calvin: Help me with this homework problem, Hobbes. What's 3+8?
Hobbes: Okay, assign the answer a value of "x." "x" so take the numerator (that's latin for "number eighter") and put that on the other side of the equation. That leaves you with three on this side. So what times three equals eight? The answer, of course, is six.
Calvin: Gosh, I must have done all the others wrong.
Hobbes: These problems seem awfully advanced for the first grade if you ask me.

Dumbledore lives
2008-02-10, 12:25 AM
Calvin and Hobbes is awesome though I only have about 1 or 2 books, one of my favorite comics is one where there playing monopoly and Calvin decides to rob a bank. Great comics, awesome characters, and can be kind of deep when they're sledding or whatever.

AslanCross
2008-02-10, 12:26 AM
Anybody ever wondered what the Noodle Incident was?

purple gelatinous cube o' Doom
2008-02-10, 12:27 AM
Best comic ever created. 'Nuff said.

zerombr
2008-02-10, 12:40 AM
Oh man, Calvin and Hobbes. That was a great comic. To this day, every noir film and detective story I read or watch reminds me of Tracer Bullet.

Tracer Bullet!

I've got three slugs in me, two of them's from a .44, the other one's bourbon

I keep two magnums in my desk, one of em's a gun, and I keep it loaded, the other's a bottle, and it keeps ME loaded.

Rogue 7
2008-02-10, 01:09 AM

Nope. That's the entire point.

Gaelbert
2008-02-10, 03:32 AM
I love these comics. My name is pretty close to Calvin, and we used to have a cat named Hobbes, and everything worked out perfectly.

SilentNight
2008-02-10, 10:53 AM
I've got a few of the books. My favorite one though is the one where Calvin is impersonating his dad. Calvin: Calvin, go do something you hate. Being miserable builds character.

Raiser Blade
2008-02-10, 11:17 AM
Calvin rules!

I loved it when he would build his snowmen... so morbid and awesome.

SAMAS
2008-02-10, 11:50 AM

Yes. You see, it happened like this... *whispers* (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/NoodleIncident) ...I mean it was a total disaster. Frankly, I'm surprised nobody got hurt... much.

d'Bwobsling
2008-02-10, 01:10 PM
My favorite strips are the private eye ones as far as calvins day dreams go. Spaceman Spiff and Stupendis man were great, but nothing can beat the private eye ones.

Edit: shouldn't this be in the comic books thread?

Shraik
2008-02-10, 01:14 PM
I never noticed alot of these jokes, must've gone over my head at age 11(Most things did) Now, I understand more of the jokes, like this.

"Leave it too a girl to take all the fun out of sex discrimination" -Calvin

GoC
2008-02-10, 02:21 PM
Oh good, it's not just me. Yesh, I learned tons of vocab from Calvin.

Me too!

text

Falconer
2008-02-10, 02:23 PM
Hello, everyone. Has anyone else read calvin and hobbes when they were younger? if so what do you remember abot it, favourite quotes and whatnot.

I used to love those comics (and I still do, for that matter)

They were really clever, and occasionally brought up some really deep stuff while still being able to maintain the humor.

Gorbash
2008-02-10, 02:38 PM
Calvin: Hey Dad, remember our car...?

Calvin: This morning I had a wonderful dream. By holding my arms out stiff and pushing down hard, I found I could suspend myself a few feet above ground. I flapped harder, and soon I was soaring effortlessly over the trees and telephone poles! I could fly! I folded my arms back and zoomed low over the neighborhood. Everyone was amazed, and they ran along under me as I shot by. Then I rocketed up so fast that my eyes watered from the wind. I laughed and laughed, making huge loops in the sky! ...
That's when Mom woke me up and said I was going to miss the bus if I didn't get my bottom out of bed; 20 minutes later, here I am, standing in the cold rain, waiting to go to school, and I just remembered I forgot my lunch. Tuesdays don't start much worse than this.

Doctor: Yeah, that's chicken pox all right.
Calvin: Chicken pox?! Mom, what is this guy? A vetenerian?
Doctor: The virus should run its course for about a week.
Calvin: He's mad! MAD, I say! I'll bet the real doctor is tied up and gagged in the other exam room!
Doctor: He's extremely contagious, so keep him away from other kids.
Calvin: Sue him, Mom! Drive his malpractice insurance up!
Mom: Calvin has to be inside for a week??
Doctor: That's a nasty twitch you've developed.
Calvin: Hey doc, for 10 bucks I'll make sure you see those kids in the waiting room real soon.

Calvin: Dad, how come you live in this house with Mom, instead of an apartment with several scantly clad female roomates?

Priceless. Just priceless.

ZombieRockStar
2008-02-10, 09:38 PM
Where's that avatar Ego did for me for Inner Animal week last June...

Ah. Here we are:
http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/669/hobbes2yl2.gif
(My inner animal :smallamused:)

My favourite print comic, no question. *cuddles complete box set*

Mr. Scaly
2008-02-10, 10:29 PM
I learned to read from Calvin and Hobbes...the love affair is still there...

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning."

"I need your advice. Should I run away or commit harakiri?"
"Over the binoculars???"
"Yeah."
"Maybe both..."

"TYRANNOSAURS IN F-14s!"

Lord Iames Osari
2008-02-10, 10:33 PM
I love Calvin and Hobbes!

"It's a magical world, Hobbes ol' buddy... Let's go exploring!" *sniff*

Rutee
2008-02-10, 10:35 PM
Calvin: Hey Dad, remember our car...?

Hobbes: Yeah, I'll bet your parents never thought you'd wreck their car before you were 16.

EvilElitest
2008-02-10, 10:43 PM
Hobbes: Yeah, I'll bet your parents never thought you'd wreck their car before you were 16.

I trust you don't speak from experience?
from
EE

SilentNight
2008-02-10, 10:47 PM
I love Calvin and Hobbes!

"It's a magical world, Hobbes ol' buddy... Let's go exploring!" *sniff*
:frown: Ah, nolastogia(spelling?)

Hobbes: It's amazing what they do with corrugated cardboard these days.

In my opinion scientists really do need to put more funds into cardboard box technology.

Calvin:Hobbes, you're a genius! Where would I be without you.
Hobbes: Conceivably you'd be working on your paper.

Artemician
2008-02-11, 10:39 AM
Heh. I grew up with Calvin and Hobbes. There are no words that can describe how much I love the strip.

Midnight Son
2008-02-11, 10:20 PM
I love Calvin & Hobbes. It is, without a doubt, the best comic strip ever created. I also like the homages from other comics. Found this one today. It's very touching in its own morbid way.

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a16/rufusbucket/0005pbd8.gif

SilentNight
2008-02-11, 10:54 PM
Heh, I remember that one. It was sad, sick and brilliant all at the same time.

warty goblin
2008-02-11, 10:57 PM
Personally, I always loved the sledding ones.

<That was some ride>
<I'll say>
<I've never seen the tobogan catch fire before.>
<We're just lucky the pond wasn't frozen>

Swordguy
2008-02-11, 11:19 PM
I love Calvin & Hobbes. It is, without a doubt, the best comic strip ever created. I also like the homages from other comics. Found this one today. It's very touching in its own morbid way.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAH!

They AREN'T dead! They're just hiding...in their fort...for the last 13 years...

*sob*

Jayngfet
2008-02-12, 12:16 AM
TYRANOSAURS IN F-14's

AslanCross
2008-02-12, 12:27 AM
TYRANOSAURS IN F-14's

Calvin: The tyrannosaurus stalks the cretaceous shores. The 5-ton carnovorous lizard can run faster than a charging rhino! What could be more horrifying?
Mom: STOP THAT CLOMPING AROUND!!
Calvin: ... besides the blood-curdling roar of its Mom...

osyluth
2008-02-12, 12:47 AM

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a16/rufusbucket/0005pbd8.gif

NO. They are still alive, exploring the magical world together.:smallfurious:

Tengu
2008-02-12, 12:52 AM
If you think this one is a sad fake last episode, you haven't seen the Ritalin one.

Swordguy
2008-02-12, 01:11 AM
If you think this one is a sad fake last episode, you haven't seen the Ritalin one.

Don't you DARE freakin' post that! :smallfurious:

It rivals "Jurassic Bark" for sheer ability to depress the audience.

Graciously link to it if you must.

VanBuren
2008-02-12, 01:13 AM

It rivals "Jurassic Bark" for sheer ability to depress the audience.

Graciously link to it if you must.

Drifting OT for a moment, I always thought that Luck of the Fryrish was more touching. Course, I suppose they're just as touching in different ways, but that one just tugged my heartstrings harder.

Swordguy
2008-02-12, 01:19 AM
Drifting OT for a moment, I always thought that Luck of the Fryrish was more touching. Course, I suppose they're just as touching in different ways, but that one just tugged my heartstrings harder.

I consider that one to me more touching as well. Touching =/= depressing.

The retcon from "Bender's Big Score" helps a bit, though.

/end threadjack

Midnight Son
2008-02-12, 01:31 AM
NO. They are still alive, exploring the magical world together.:smallfurious:I quite agree with you, but, if you read more of Lio, you'd realize that the entire premise of the strip is to be morbid. as far as that strip goes, the thing that I found touching was the Missing since '95. In his own twisted way, Mark is just saying what we all can agree on. We've been missing a great comic for a long time.

Tengu
2008-02-12, 02:19 AM

Even I, the guy who cackled hellishly when people stumble upon the Miko/Windstriker picture he posted in an innocent thread, am decent enough not to do that.

H. Zee
2008-02-12, 02:42 AM
I was curious, and searched on Google for the Ritalin thing...

:smallfrown:

...AAARGH! The heartbreak! Damn you, curiosity!

I'm going to try to put that one out of my mind.

EDIT: On a slightly more cheerful note, I am now a Dwarf. :smallsmile:

Swordguy
2008-02-12, 02:54 AM
I was curious, and searched on Google for the Ritalin thing...

:smallfrown:

...AAARGH! The heartbreak! Damn you, curiosity!

I'm going to try to put that one out of my mind.

EDIT: On a slightly more cheerful note, I am now a Dwarf. :smallsmile:

If it makes you feel better, here is the rebuttal to that monstrosity of a comic.

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n294/wolffe42/1151877399607.gif

VanBuren
2008-02-12, 02:59 AM
If it makes you feel better, here is the rebuttal to that monstrosity of a comic.

The other one didn't bother me too much. It just gave off one of those over-the-top anti-drug PSA vibes to me.

I'm probably in the minority on that one.

Rutee
2008-02-12, 03:04 AM
Even I, the guy who cackled hellishly when people stumble upon the Miko/Windstriker picture he posted in an innocent thread, am decent enough not to do that.

....See, you said my shipping relentlessly was bad, but I didn't cause /that/...

Tengu
2008-02-12, 03:07 AM
My response to this comic - aww *manly tear*.

....See, you said my shipping relentlessly was bad, but I didn't cause /that/...

Neither did I. I just helped it rise from its watery grave of OotS House of Horrors and let the whole world know about it. I'd guess that makes me a kind of a cultist.

H. Zee
2008-02-12, 12:18 PM

Aw, thanks mate. That may go quite a long way to healing the damage. :smallsmile:

Rare Pink Leech
2008-02-13, 12:05 AM
Well, I'm pretty much preaching to the choir here, but I love Calvin & Hobbes. I own The Complete Calvin & Hobbes, but unfortunately I haven't had the time to go through it all yet. My favourite parts have to be the snowmen - when I was younger I'd draw all the various snowmen together just so I could see them all at the same time :smallsmile:

Oh man, I got every strip ever published for Chrirstmas two years ago, but the damn thing almost gave me a hernia from carrying it. I've adored Watterson's comics since, well, since I was about Calvin's age and I'll be (eventually) getting a C&H tattoo. (This (http://img144.imageshack.us/img144/7601/calvinwagonlc8.png), probably.)

That's a nice tattoo to get. I know a girl who has a tattoo on her calf of Calvin taking a tinkle. It's not exactly flattering, let me tell you.

Stycotl
2008-02-13, 01:32 AM

my 9th grade honors english teacher actually took most of her vocabulary words from c&h. i was pleased, cuz as far as i was concerned (and still am) c&h is the best comic in existence. aaron out.