Elrond
2008-02-09, 05:43 PM
who would win YODA or SAURON

Dorizzit
2008-02-09, 05:59 PM
Whipped like a dog, Sauron is.

Lawliet
2008-02-09, 06:04 PM
ANOTHER Sauron thread? My god, he should have his own forum, or change "Media Discussions" to "Talk about books, Sauron, movies, TV,Sauron, or music (and Sauron) here , safe from the judging eye of (Sauron) the outside world."

But just so it's in topic, if it's one-on-one, Yoda. Lightsaber > Mace (Sauron uses a mace, right?)

If Sauron is allowed to use his troops, Sauron.

Icewalker
2008-02-09, 06:13 PM
The '... vs. Sauron' need to fall into one of many categories.

Sauron, in his armored body with the large mace vs person.

Sauron, as a firey incorporeal eye and armies vs person.

Sauron, as a firey incorporeal eye and armies trying to stop person from bringing ring to Mount Doom.

In this case, I believe Yoda wins all three. In a straight fight against the corporeal Sauron he would definitely win, and he could sneak past armies to bring the ring into the mountain. The second one of these three is hard to define anyways, because how do you beat the incorporeal eye Sauron if the ring isn't in the equation?

Metal Head
2008-02-09, 06:16 PM
Isn't Sauron a god, or at least close to one? I didn't read The Silmarillion, but I think someone mentioned that it's in there.

North
2008-02-09, 06:34 PM
Yodas not technically a man either so he should have no problem...

Whoops that the ringwraith :smallbiggrin:

Rutee
2008-02-09, 07:06 PM
(To the tune of YMCA)

--- - YOUNG MAN, I saw your ship come down. I said
YOUNG MAN, now it's muddy and brown. I said
YOUNG MAN, put your weapon away, 'cause I

*MEAN* *YOU* *NO* *HARM* *I* *SAY*

YOUNG MAN, There's no need to feel fear. I am
WONDERIN', tell me why are you here? How you
GROWIN', from this food on the plate, I say

*WARS* *DO* *NOT* *MAKE* *ONE* *GREAT*

You must be here to see Y.O.D.A
You must be here to see Y.O.D.A.
He's 900 years old!
He's so strong in the Force!
Do your Jedi Diploma course!

Come and get yourself clean!
Come and have a good meal!
Pretty soon now, the Force you'll feel!

YOUNG MAN, you fell out of the sky, into
SOMETHIN' brown that smells like a sty, and this
TIN CAN started swimming and then, he got

*SPAT* *OUT* *LIKE* *SOME* *THROAT* *PHLEGM*

YOUNG MAN, Welcome to Dagobah. He is
COMIN', master Yoda not far. I'll be
HAVIN' this bright thing that ain't hot. It is

*MINE* *OR* *I'LL* *HELP* *YOU* *NOT*

He's 900 years old!

Don't just stand in the rain!
You're all covered with mud!
come and sample my homemade crud!

OLD BEN, Are you listenin' to me? I can't
TRAIN HIM, he's so reckless you see! Like his
OLD MAN, he's so angry but brave! Betcha

*HE* *SCREWS* *UP* *AT* *THE* *CAVE*

YOUNG MAN, If you start will you end, or be
GOING, off to save all your friends? To be
TRAINING, needs commitment and work, if you

*WIMP* *OUT* *THEN* *YOU'RE* *A* *JERK*

You gotta stay here with Y.O.D.A
You should stay here and train!
You don't have to save Han!
If you do so, you'll lose your hand!
You gotta stay here with Y.O.D.A.
--------

Out of my hands, the battle is. Destroyed by its own hubris, evil shall be.

Guildorn Tanaleth
2008-02-09, 07:21 PM
Isn't Sauron a god, or at least close to one? I didn't read The Silmarillion, but I think someone mentioned that it's in there.

Sauron is a Maia, a lesser relative of the Valar, whom the ignorant humans call "gods." He's a lesser angelic power, of the same race as Gandalf, Saruman, and Balrogs.

In answer to the original question, all Yoda really needs to do is cut the Ring off of Sauron's hand, which will take him about five seconds.

hylian chozo
2008-02-09, 07:51 PM
In answer to the original question, all Yoda really needs to do is cut the Ring off of Sauron's hand, which will take him about five seconds.

Five seconds to cut off a hand? Yoda's losing his touch. Of course, all of this is assuming that everyone knows Saurons weakness. Big guy in armor is coming at you and the first thing you do is cut his hand off? Granted, it is glowing.

tyckspoon
2008-02-09, 07:53 PM
Five seconds to cut off a hand? Yoda's losing his touch. Of course, all of this is assuming that everyone knows Saurons weakness. Big guy in armor is coming at you and the first thing you do is cut his hand off? Granted, it is glowing.

Cutting off hands is a really efficient way to make people stop swinging weapons at you. It's also a lot more cruel than I think Yoda would be to an opponent, but he'd do it if he had prior information on Sauron's nature.

hylian chozo
2008-02-09, 07:57 PM
But does he have prior information? That was the point I was trying to make.

Rutee
2008-02-09, 08:16 PM
He's a jedi, dood. I think we can assume he can tell that Sauron is eeeeeevil, with extra e's.

kpenguin
2008-02-09, 08:21 PM
(To the tune of YMCA)

--- - YOUNG MAN, I saw your ship come down. I said
YOUNG MAN, now it's muddy and brown. I said
YOUNG MAN, put your weapon away, 'cause I

*MEAN* *YOU* *NO* *HARM* *I* *SAY*

YOUNG MAN, There's no need to feel fear. I am
WONDERIN', tell me why are you here? How you
GROWIN', from this food on the plate, I say

*WARS* *DO* *NOT* *MAKE* *ONE* *GREAT*

He's 900 years old!

Come and get yourself clean!
Come and have a good meal!
Pretty soon now, the Force you'll feel!

YOUNG MAN, you fell out of the sky, into
SOMETHIN' brown that smells like a sty, and this
TIN CAN started swimming and then, he got

*SPAT* *OUT* *LIKE* *SOME* *THROAT* *PHLEGM*

YOUNG MAN, Welcome to Dagobah. He is
COMIN', master Yoda not far. I'll be
HAVIN' this bright thing that ain't hot. It is

*MINE* *OR* *I'LL* *HELP* *YOU* *NOT*

He's 900 years old!

Don't just stand in the rain!
You're all covered with mud!
come and sample my homemade crud!

OLD BEN, Are you listenin' to me? I can't
TRAIN HIM, he's so reckless you see! Like his
OLD MAN, he's so angry but brave! Betcha

*HE* *SCREWS* *UP* *AT* *THE* *CAVE*

YOUNG MAN, If you start will you end, or be
GOING, off to save all your friends? To be
TRAINING, needs commitment and work, if you

*WIMP* *OUT* *THEN* *YOU'RE* *A* *JERK*

You should stay here and train!
You don't have to save Han!
If you do so, you'll lose your hand!
You gotta stay here with Y.O.D.A.
--------

Out of my hands, the battle is. Destroyed by its own hubris, evil shall be.

Totally awesome. I'd sig it, but I don't sig bits of text.

Tengu
2008-02-09, 08:26 PM
Sauron is the new WH40K, it seems. Maybe we should do a "Sauron vs WH40K" thread? It will be hilarious, because the fanboys of both usually are the same people.

hylian chozo
2008-02-09, 08:34 PM
He's a jedi, dood. I think we can assume he can tell that Sauron is eeeeeevil, with extra e's.

There's no question that Yoda knows Sauron is "eeeevil", but he doesn't know what the ring does or how to destroy it. That's all I'm saying.

tyckspoon
2008-02-09, 08:37 PM
There's no question that Yoda knows Sauron is "eeeevil", but he doesn't know what the ring does or how to destroy it. That's all I'm saying.

It does indicate that Yoda probably won't have any compunctions about sabering Sauron's body into sections, tho, and he doesn't need to specifically know about the Ring in order to remove the hand that bears it from Sauron.

Rutee
2008-02-09, 08:40 PM
Sauron is the new WH40K, it seems. Maybe we should do a "Sauron vs WH40K" thread? It will be hilarious, because the fanboys of both usually are the same people.

"I hate myself"
"I hate you too, you make me sick, you fat sack of crap."
"But I'm the president"
"The best one there is"
"But you just said you hated me"
"But.. not you.. the president.. you who love.. hate.. yankees.. clouds"
* Boom

Yeah, that'd be kinda fun. My vote would be on WH40k though.

It does indicate that Yoda probably won't have any compunctions about sabering Sauron's body into sections, tho, and he doesn't need to specifically know about the Ring in order to remove the hand that bears it from Sauron.
Because voting against midgets ginsuing evil is wrong, amirite?

The_Snark
2008-02-09, 09:09 PM
I saw this thread and immediately thought, "Nothing worthwhile can come of this."

(To the tune of YMCA)

Turns out I was wrong!

But seriously, a plea: Stop putting Sauron into versus threads! It's not a universe with codified power levels and defined magic! It was still being edited up to the point of Tolkien's death (and even after), and even if he'd completed everything to his own satisfaction, it still wouldn't work well in versus threads. Use universes where they have names for every attack and devices for measuring individual power (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/PowerLevels). We will all be much happier.

Perhaps the real reason Sauron never found the Ring was that he kept getting called away to fight versus matches.

Rutee
2008-02-09, 09:12 PM
I saw this thread and immediately thought, "Nothing worthwhile can come of this."
Which reminds me to give credit where due:
http://www.yodajeff.com/pages/songs/ymcaparody.shtml
To the best of my knowledge, he came up with it.

Mr._Blinky
2008-02-09, 10:04 PM
Which reminds me to give credit where due:
http://www.yodajeff.com/pages/songs/ymcaparody.shtml
To the best of my knowledge, he came up with it.

That is...genius.

Also, 1 vs. 1 personal combat I'd put my money on Yoda. He's faster, can cut through probably anything Sauron has, and his "magic" seems to be far quicker to use.

EvilElitest
2008-02-09, 10:10 PM
I'm not even touching this thread, i don't care who wins
from
EE

warty goblin
2008-02-09, 10:11 PM
Somehow I feel this one has been done before...
*puts on Cap of Route Response +1*
1) Cutting off Sauron's Ring finger doesn't do more than cut off his ring finger. The bit where doing that instantly destroys him is a movie invention. Otherwise it seems to take massive physical trauma on the order of serious melee thwackage or dropping most of a continent on his head to seriously dent him.
2) What Sauron are we using? Third Age? Second? First? Age of Trees? If we use Second or earlier, Yoda won't even realize Sauron is evil until its too late, because until then he could appear however he wanted and not radiate evil like a frat party giving off beer funes. He tricked the Elves into the making the Rings and the Numenorians into worshipping Satan after all, both of which are easily on the tune of Palapatine's deception of the Jedi.
3) This Sauron also is able to shift shapes pretty much at will and can create a fear aura of, well, frightening intensity.

And yes, please lay off the vs. Sauron threads a bit. Or at least give some backstory and background information, not just a single sentence. If you really care enough to start a thread, actually typing a paragraph is hardly that much to ask.

puppyavenger
2008-02-09, 10:28 PM

wasn't 40k the new Sauron at one point? anyway name a 40k faction bedises Tau and I'll show how they beat Sauron.
sigh,I realy need to find something productive to do

EvilElitest
2008-02-09, 10:32 PM
1) Cutting off Sauron's Ring finger doesn't do more than cut off his ring finger. The bit where doing that instantly destroys him is a movie invention. Otherwise it seems to take massive physical trauma on the order of serious melee thwackage or dropping most of a continent on his head to seriously dent him.
2) What Sauron are we using? Third Age? Second? First? Age of Trees? If we use Second or earlier, Yoda won't even realize Sauron is evil until its too late, because until then he could appear however he wanted and not radiate evil like a frat party giving off beer funes. He tricked the Elves into the making the Rings and the Numenorians into worshipping Satan after all, both of which are easily on the tune of Palapatine's deception of the Jedi.
3) This Sauron also is able to shift shapes pretty much at will and can create a fear aura of, well, frightening intensity.

And yes, please lay off the vs. Sauron threads a bit. Or at least give some backstory and background information, not just a single sentence. If you really care enough to start a thread, actually typing a paragraph is hardly that much to ask.

Don't touch this. Really,

Anyone who dislikes vs. Sauron threads, here is what you should do

Make non vs. Sauron thread

Kenshin vs. Drizzt

Arthas vs. Lord Soth

Aang Vs. Edward Elric

what ever
from
EE

MeklorIlavator
2008-02-09, 10:37 PM
Actually, cutting off the finger was what defeated him in the books too, though it likely wasn't as cinematic. He was a bit worse for the wear, but not to any dangerous degree, but when he was separated from the ring he was effectively separated from part of his soul, and therefore incredibly weakened.

Not all the elves were tricked. In fact, the most perceptive and wise elves weren't fooled and warned the others, to no avail. Also, even in Numenor, the most perceptive people realized that he was bad news and didn't follow Sauron's lead.

I believe that anyone who is strong of will can resist his fear aura, as several Elvish and Numenorian Champions did fight him(and in the end they did manage to defeat him for a while).

Paragon Badger
2008-02-09, 10:41 PM
We should have a (Naruto vs. Sauron) vs. (Team Genius vs. Imerium of Man) thread. :smallwink:

Let the best thread win!

puppyavenger
2008-02-10, 10:51 AM
We should have a (Naruto vs. Sauron) vs. (Team Genius vs. Imerium of Man) thread. :smallwink:

what would LD'ing the dark tower do?

Raiser Blade
2008-02-10, 11:23 AM
I'm not even touching this thread, i don't care who wins
from
EE

It's too late you touched the thread... :smalltongue:

GoC
2008-02-10, 01:01 PM
Dear gods have mercy!
I'm already debating Sauron in five different threads!
This is obviously a conspiracy against me started by my arch-nemesis EvilElitest!

Swordlol
2008-02-10, 01:24 PM
This dead horse is doubtlessly an unrecognizable pile of broken entrails and shattered dusty bones at this juncture.

Yoda is not the dead horse...

Sauron is.

EvilElitest
2008-02-10, 02:31 PM
Dear gods have mercy!
I'm already debating Sauron in five different threads!
This is obviously a conspiracy against me started by my arch-nemesis EvilElitest!

Yes, yes it is, maybe you should take Sauron's ide

It's too late you touched the thread...
No, i've been tainted. Is that naked Miko in your avatar by the way?
from
EE

warty goblin
2008-02-10, 03:06 PM
This dead horse is doubtlessly an unrecognizable pile of broken entrails and shattered dusty bones at this juncture.

Yoda is not the dead horse...

Sauron is.

The irony of the situation is that the pro-Sauron forces (almost) never actually start the thread. We may argue for Sauron's primacy, but we are not responsible for the proliferation of vs. threads involving him. Don't blame us, blame the Sauron haters.

That said, its pretty clear from the Silmarillion that Sauron was already down when Isildur cut off the Ring. I unfortunately don't have the book on me atm (damn college), but somebody with it should be able to provide the exact line.

I also think the treachery that Sauron can pull makes Palpatine look positively second rate. Palpatine made the Jedi fight a war against the people who attacked them, who Palpatine had put up to doing so, which was quite clever. Sauron got the highest and greatest group of men ever to worship the devil and engage in human sacrifce, starting from the position of hostage. Yes, some of them cottoned on that this wasn't a good thing, but they couldn't actually stop it. That's some pretty hardcore pursuasion ability right there.

Rutee
2008-02-10, 03:21 PM
The irony of the situation is that the pro-Sauron forces (almost) never actually start the thread. We may argue for Sauron's primacy, but we are not responsible for the proliferation of vs. threads involving him. Don't blame us, blame the Sauron haters.

Actually, the two most recent were started by Sauron fans.
Edit: Hm, looks like Executor's responsible for several..

BTW, start supplying direct quotations plz. You have an irritating habit of inventing canon.

Ossian
2008-02-10, 03:46 PM
I'll try my hand at a rough translation (ITA to ENG)

Silmarillion, "The rings of power and the Third Age", well into the tale of the siege of Mordor, we know that Anarion dies in the Gol-goroth (or "gor-goroth", dashes mine)

"And then Gil Galad and Elendil set foot into Mordor and surrounded Sauron's stronghold. For 7 years they laid siege to it, suffering great losses to the Enemy's fire, darts and arrows, and many forays did Saouron run to harm them. Here, in the valley of Golgoroth, Anarion fell and many with him. Eventually, the siege became so tight that Sauron himself entered the field; and he fought with Gil Galad and with Elendil, and they were both killed and Elendil's sword was shattered beneath him as he fell. Yet Sauron was also defeated, and with Narsil's stump Isildur cut the Ruling Ring from the hand of Sauron and took it for himself"

Pretty much the story as it was told...

Rutee
2008-02-10, 03:48 PM
Fair enough then. Also, a page number would be good.

Ossian
2008-02-10, 04:05 PM
Fair enough then. Also, a page number would be good.

Aye, I'm sorry but I have a fairly unknow edition:smallfrown: . It's p. 302 here, or page 19 into the chapter...

EvilElitest
2008-02-10, 04:37 PM
Executor just likes vs. threads i think, as he has started some of the better ones.

What other ones were started by the vs. Sauron team, i didn't start one
from
EE

nothingclever
2008-02-10, 06:02 PM
Can someone start posting all of Yoda's epic feats? I've never bothered looking them up and I'm too lazy to do so. :P

GoC
2008-02-10, 06:27 PM
I also think the treachery that Sauron can pull makes Palpatine look positively second rate. Palpatine made the Jedi fight a war against the people who attacked them, who Palpatine had put up to doing so, which was quite clever. Sauron got the highest and greatest group of men ever to worship the devil and engage in human sacrifce, starting from the position of hostage. Yes, some of them cottoned on that this wasn't a good thing, but they couldn't actually stop it. That's some pretty hardcore pursuasion ability right there.
True...
I'm actualy agreeing with pro-sauron?
The world is ending!:smalleek:

kpenguin
2008-02-10, 08:10 PM
Can someone start posting all of Yoda's epic feats? I've never bothered looking them up and I'm too lazy to do so. :P

These (http://www.d20srd.org/indexes/epicFeats.htm). All of them.

Rowanomicon
2008-02-11, 12:50 PM
While Sauron rocks and rocks hard and is certainly not the level one Gully Dwarf Commoner that we all wish he was I think the deciding factor in this fight are the fact that lightsabers cut through anything with little effort.

Kermitīs speed, size, and Force powers are what allow him to compete in this, but all he needs to do is barely graze his enemy multiple times and avoid letting Sauron land a good hit. If kermit were restricted to using his combat enforced banjo then Iīd give it to Sauron (with a slight margin), but the players of Darths & Droids just convinced their DM to make lazorswords too good.

dehro
2008-02-11, 01:34 PM
Is that naked Miko in your avatar by the way?
from
EEMY EYES! MY EYES! SWEET MERCYFULL GODS MY POOR USELESS EYES...it really is...:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

EvilElitest
2008-02-11, 05:45 PM
MY EYES! MY EYES! SWEET MERCYFULL GODS MY POOR USELESS EYES...it really is...:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

My friend, the world is growing cold, please make the pain stop, the glasses do nothing
from
EE

Tengu
2008-02-11, 08:41 PM
If naked Miko results in such reactions, don't look at this:

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c400/Metamorphixe/windstrikerbasckupsex.png

Told you.

warty goblin
2008-02-11, 08:44 PM

Told you.

You know, I think that's a Case Six of Rule 34.

Rule 34: If it exists, there is porn of it.
Case 6: Porn of it should not exist.

EvilElitest
2008-02-11, 08:46 PM

Told you.

what have i ever done to you Tengu to deserve this?
from
EE

Tengu
2008-02-11, 08:56 PM
Ha, once again it proves that they could replace the "spoiler" on the spoiler button with "push me, I dare you". By the way, there is a thread full of such things, though most of them are much tamer:
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34493

Bago!!!
2008-02-11, 08:57 PM
Yoda, though the coolest jedi of them all, will lose to Sauron. Force powers and a lightsaber? Ain't got nothin on this immortal guy.

.... She's a paladin, come on!

Squidmaster
2008-02-11, 09:01 PM

Told you.

My Eyes, my poor useless eyes:smalleek: :smallfrown:

Incedently, I support suaron. I think that while Yoda could win a fight, He would be defaeted in the long run. If yoda was a good strategist he wouldnt have let the clone army go on there relitivly meritless strtagy. "Blindly attack wherever they attack us" Or so I saw in the movie

EvilElitest
2008-02-11, 09:03 PM
I think yoda would win :smallbiggrin:
from
EE

Rowanomicon
2008-02-11, 09:08 PM
Ahaha! I give this one to Yoda on a close call and Bago and others start to give it to Sauron.

I'll bite. Lets get some mroe detail in here. How's our Dark Lord going to do it?

EvilElitest
2008-02-11, 09:28 PM
Yoda wins, because i use my secret weapons, giant red bolded words saying
YOUR WRONG DEAL WITH IT

see, can you argue against that?
sarcasm everyone

from
EE

Rowanomicon
2008-02-11, 09:38 PM
The fear aura of giant red bolded lettering is thrice that of Sauron himself.
*cowers in the corner*

Tengu
2008-02-11, 09:50 PM

I can. But since my argument is very, very long, I'll put it in a spoiler.

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h87/osiris32/rxbdeadfin.png

Zuko laughs at your misfortune.

EvilElitest
2008-02-11, 09:50 PM
The fear aura of giant red bolded lettering is thrice that of Sauron himself.
*cowers in the corner*

cower in fear of my power

And tengu, what is that?
from
EE

Tengu
2008-02-11, 09:58 PM
And tengu, what is that?

Be glad that you're still young and doesn't know. Very glad.

EvilElitest
2008-02-11, 10:00 PM
Be glad that you're still young and doesn't know. Very glad.

Really, is that sperm or what? I don't want to go any further because i'm afraid of getting in trouble but still
from
EE

Tengu
2008-02-11, 10:01 PM
You have guessed correctly.

EvilElitest
2008-02-11, 10:02 PM
You have guessed correctly.

But he joke doesn't make sense, oh gods i don't want to think about it
from
EE

Rowanomicon
2008-02-11, 10:04 PM
Oh dear GODS! Tengu, just imagine the note that Belkar's player slipped the DM, haha!

EvilElitest
2008-02-11, 11:10 PM
Well, good think this thread isn't being derailed because that would be bad
from
EE

Bago!!!
2008-02-12, 05:54 AM
What the devil is the world coming to!?!? The guys have taken the opposite sides?

RED LETTERS! *hugs letters*

..... Meh, heard and seen more disturbing things. THeres a D&D video where this level one rogue ass rapped a level 78 something paladin. The whole thing was just hilarous.

Sauron can't be killed by the light saber. Its just and extreme heat if I am correct. Second, Sauron can just keep fighting till Yoda tires. He can take the blows, he's like my dwarf fighter who always ends up winning the fight at -9 after 10 rounds.

Yoda cannot not land a decicive blow, while Sauron can kill him in one hit. Make sense?

Lizardfolk Lich
2008-02-12, 06:32 AM
I think Miko looks kinda hot...

EvilElitest
2008-02-12, 10:39 AM
Well Bago, i counter you well devolped points with

CAPITAL LETTERS

Yeah, what do you say to that

Oh and now i call you a sauron fanboy and ignore your points. :smalltongue:

insert badly worded personal attacks here

You logic is no match to my inability to read thinks critically

from
EE

Anteros
2008-02-12, 11:45 AM
This thread got derailed really fast, so I didn't read the entire thing and don't know if someone said this.

But Yoda is afraid of being corrupted by things like love, anger, friendship, etc. He specifically says several times that Jedi are exceptionally vulnerable to corruption

I'm pretty sure that one of the greatest corrupters of all time is going to be able to manipulate him however he wants.

warty goblin
2008-02-12, 11:53 AM
This thread got derailed really fast, so I didn't read the entire thing and don't know if someone said this.

But Yoda is afraid of being corrupted by things like love, anger, friendship, etc. He specifically says several times that Jedi are exceptionally vulnerable to corruption

I'm pretty sure that one of the greatest corrupters of all time is going to be able to manipulate him however he wants.

Thank you for mentioning this, I hadn't thought of that, but its a pretty good point. Yoda is scared of/avoids exactly the things that defend against Sauron's evil.

Now Yoda probably is to good to actually be turned evil, but I'd be willing to bet he gets completely nullified and can't actually manage to muster the will to fight.

GoC
2008-02-12, 12:03 PM
Sauron can't be killed by the light saber. Its just and extreme heat if I am correct. Second, Sauron can just keep fighting till Yoda tires. He can take the blows, he's like my dwarf fighter who always ends up winning the fight at -9 after 10 rounds.

Yoda cannot not land a decicive blow, while Sauron can kill him in one hit. Make sense?
Well there are a few things to note:
Sauron's immunity to lava and fire probably stems from him being the Maia of the Valar of smithing. Plasma is both far hotter and not a tool for demigod smiths.
Sauron's hit's are physical impacts. Depending on which version of Yoda you use he could have that neat force field that deflects blows.
Again depends on which version but almost all Yodas are very very fast. We don't know how fast Sauron's sword swings are so comparison is difficult but if we assume only a few blinks above human limits (iow: the legendary elves who defeated him) then he's screwed.
Of course given the fact that Sauron survived against an entire very well trained army long enough to kill it's two champions says he hasn't just got speed but armor and durability too. I bet the armor was magicaly stronger to deflect all those arrows (yay! I've got justification for giving Sauron DR!).

Ossian
2008-02-12, 12:24 PM
Nay, jedis are particularly dangerous when corrupted, not particularly easy to corrupt. That's why the grumpy old kermit discouraged attachment in his padawans and fellow masters and knights. When you attach yourself to something in an Age when he senses the prophecy is coming to its fulfilment, and the Dark Side is clouding everything, losing what you attached yourself to can lead to an angry, bitter, frustrated and sadly unstoppable mass murderer (AKA Dark Jedi).

For 10.000 years the Jedi protected the Republic from all evils, so they are not that easy to turn evil, especially in a galaxy that counts billions of inhabited worlds, centuries long wars and Dark Side artifacts/nodes/devotees around every blasted corner.

This said, it's really unfair to Sauron to make this a Physical Combat of a giant that swings a weapon (an anchor sized mace in the movies) against the masterest master ever of telekinesis and lightsaber combat. LS, IMHO, don't deal as much damage from their heat (which goes a few millimiters off the blade) as they do with their thin cutting edge. The blade is not 3 inches wide. That's just energy emission and useful for the movies (flashy and cool). The blade is one or two molecules wide, with the energy of a small power plant. Add combat precognition, force bosted reflexes and chinese swordfight and you are giving Yoda too many advantages over a clever Dark Lord as Sauron.

Anyway, Gil Galad + Elendil > Sauron with ring

Yoda > Gil Galad and Elendil (I suppose this needs no demonstrations)

i.e. Yoda can win over Sauron in a straight fight, if nothing else because the Dark Lord won't be the weirdest thing the green master will have seen in 900 years spent in constant defense of the Republic.

O.

Anteros
2008-02-12, 12:39 PM
How can you possibly say that Jedi are not easily corrupted? Yoda says that they can be all the time. Luke started to fall just because he got angry during a sword fight!

Sauron is a master of manipulation, all he has to do is get Yoda angry. Also, Sauron would never come out and fight Yoda in the first place...if they are in middle earth, Sauron will be behind his armies. If they are in the star wars universe, Yoda will have no reason to believe that Sauron is evil.

I'm sorry, but if Yoda can't sense a giant conspiracy to kill him out of an army of billions of soldiers, a senator whom he constantly works with, and a padawan whom he is supposed to be suspicious of in the first place...I really doubt he is going to see through the lord of all decievers.

If they fought, Yoda could probably win...but they would never fight.

Ossian
2008-02-12, 02:18 PM
How can you possibly say that Jedi are not easily corrupted? Yoda says that they can be all the time. Luke started to fall just because he got angry during a sword fight!

Sauron is a master of manipulation, all he has to do is get Yoda angry. Also, Sauron would never come out and fight Yoda in the first place...if they are in middle earth, Sauron will be behind his armies. If they are in the star wars universe, Yoda will have no reason to believe that Sauron is evil.

I'm sorry, but if Yoda can't sense a giant conspiracy to kill him out of an army of billions of soldiers, a senator whom he constantly works with, and a padawan whom he is supposed to be suspicious of in the first place...I really doubt he is going to see through the lord of all decievers.

Aye, true words (well, corruption issues aside, but I'll deal with those later). This is why Vs threads need context and circumstances in the OP. To account for stuff like

"Ok, forget narrative consistency. Imagine that for some ungodly reason Yoda and Sauron are crossin blades in the great salt lake. Who would win?" or "Imagine Yoda and Sauron had their armies. Who would win?" (hmm....clone troopers vs orcs...sweet) or "If Sauron was a Dark Lord of the Sith and take the role of Palpatin in SW 1 through 3, would Y. be able to avcert the catastrophe? And how would he fr at the Saenate Duel against the Dark Lord of planet Mordor?".

Skip this context definition, and the whole thread, answers, debates, arguments and quarrels become moot till they rot.
Now, Jedi are not easily corrupted, since in the 10.000 years of their story they have been the Guardians of Peace and not a Threat to be Dealt With. They would not have made i to year 19 BBY if things had been that different.

They are few at any given time, but in 10.000 years their ranks have counted many many many thousands. How many did fall to the Dark Side?
Off the top of my head just a fistful. The rest were already with the Sith faction, or just apprentices in the ways of the Force that turned to the Dark Side (Krath Twins). That's why force sensitive individuals need the Jedi Training. To lower the chances of corruption. I'd count Exar Kun, Ulic Qel Droma (redeemed) and a bunch of others among the jedi that actually fell.

Jedis are powerful, thus the force is a strong temptation to them. That's where the training and the Code (not always effectively) come into play.

Unfortunately, out of thousands of Jedis that resisted, one whining Bitch is all people remember. Anie was a plot bomb. He came along when the Dark Side was veiling everything, and clouding the future and the Council's ability to sense it. When you are Doomed (by George Lucas) to fail, it's hard to blame your lack of ability. Luke was there to proive him wrong, and against all odds as he started training around age 19. Plus, the movies were done in the 70s and early 80s. The prequels, on the other hand, were done in the emo-age, thus increasing Yoda's handicap.

Still, the thread is null. They wouldn't fight. Just like Wolverine would not fight Chtulhu, Captain America wouldn't fight Siegfried of the Nibelungenlied and King Arthur should not mess with Ryu from Street Fighter II Victory. Makes no sense.

O.

Matar
2008-02-14, 02:42 AM
wasn't 40k the new Sauron at one point? anyway name a 40k faction bedises Tau and I'll show how they beat Sauron.
sigh,I realy need to find something productive to do

I'd... honestly say Sauron >..>. The dudes there dun really strike me as ether mindless, or pure as hell <.<.

So, yeah. That's for another thread however >.<.

Rutee
2008-02-14, 04:58 AM
I'd... honestly say Sauron >..>. The dudes there dun really strike me as ether mindless, or pure as hell <.<.

CHaos is nastier at corruption then Sauron. What the hell is it with Sauron taken as a superlative in corruption and manipulation? The latter has him beaten by the oWoD Near-DEM that Antediluvian Vamps, elder Archmages, famous Technocracy scientists, etc reach, all of whom exhibit much greater raw power to boot...

Anyway, I get where you're coming from Ossian, but I don't think you can really say a thread is 'null', if you can suspend disbelief on any level well enough to accept the concept of a Versus Thread anyway. No matter what happens, you have to massacre the settings' laws of morality, cosmology, and reality.

EvilElitest
2008-02-14, 05:45 PM

You just called the Sauron Supporters mindless or pure as hell? Wow, real smooth that, maybe you should go over there and make that claim
from
EE

Rutee
2008-02-14, 05:50 PM
He was talking about WH40k characters, EE.

EvilElitest
2008-02-14, 05:55 PM
He was talking about WH40k characters, EE.

Ohhhhhhhhhh, ok then i'm sorry, i thought you were talking about the axis of evil

I just avoid WH40K threads, i just don't think anything can beat it not worth trying
from
EE

FoE
2008-02-14, 06:02 PM
Yoda couldn't beat Darth Tyrannus, and you expect him to take down Sauron?! :smalleek:

EvilElitest
2008-02-14, 06:22 PM
Yoda couldn't beat Darth Tyrannus, and you expect him to take down Sauron?! :smalleek:

well yoda has, um, well, I HAVE CAPITAL LETTERS, I WIN
problem solved
from
EE

Rutee
2008-02-14, 06:24 PM
How much better then humans are the guys who DID beat up Sauron, and how much better then humans are a jedi? Honestly, people, Sauron isn't superlative.

GoC
2008-02-14, 08:07 PM
How much better then humans are the guys who DID beat up Sauron, and how much better then humans are a jedi? Honestly, people, Sauron isn't superlative.

He is however the omnipotent all consuming and corrupting 'winner' of versus threads. Fortunately people don't care who "wins" vs. threads.:smallamused: I'm never going to let EE live that one down.:smallamused:

Raiser Blade
2008-02-14, 08:23 PM

Yoda was going to beat Darth Tyrannus but then he threatened anakin and ran away like a little girl.

:smallyuk:

Seriously the reason yoda owns sauron is because lightsaber> mace. Other than that it is all semantics.

Also @EE You sir are the very essence of originality with your meaningful on topic posts. I mean it's not like screaming fanboys don't get made fun of all the time. :smallsigh:
Do you actually have anything relevant to add to this discussion?

EvilElitest
2008-02-14, 08:25 PM
Also @EE You sir are the very essence of originality with your meaningful on topic posts. I mean it's not like screaming fanboys don't get made fun of all the time. :smallsigh:
Do you actually have anything relevant to add to this discussion?

Wait, their is a discussion to take seriously? When did that happen?

He is however the omnipotent all consuming and corrupting 'winner' of versus threads. Fortunately people don't care who "wins" vs. threads. I'm never going to let EE live that one down.
Didn't he lose against a few blokes, Cthulu, Saragous, the US army?
Bring it on GoC, i stand by what i said
from
EE

warty goblin
2008-02-14, 08:26 PM

I think you probably have this nailed down 100%. I don't think Yoda is that easy to corrupt, but Sauron doesn't have to corrupt Yoda to win, Darth Sidieous proved that pretty nicely. A few dudes around Yoda are enough,.

Raiser Blade
2008-02-14, 08:28 PM
Wait, their is a discussion to take seriously? When did that happen?

When the OP made this thread.

EvilElitest
2008-02-14, 08:31 PM
When the OP made this thread.

Um, this got derailed a long time ago. It is such an absurd vs. thread that i'm generally taking Yoda's side for its own sake
from
EE

Ossian
2008-02-15, 05:01 AM
I think you probably have this nailed down 100%. I don't think Yoda is that easy to corrupt, but Sauron doesn't have to corrupt Yoda to win, Darth Sidieous proved that pretty nicely. A few dudes around Yoda are enough,.

Aye, that's fair enough for me. I am taking this 3d as semi-quasi serious, not complete madness at least. Still, if we stuck to the original circumstances, Sauron wouldn't have that chance to corrupt "n" force users and pit them against Yoda. It's a 1 on 1. Otherwise a Victory class destroyer could just glass Mordor from orbit (I didn't see a shield generator near Barad Dur...perhaps it was in the basement. That'd make Sauron smarter than most SW villains).

Now, sarcasm aside, I am with Yoda on this one. The duel vs Palpatine (who was the bestest sithes everest, to use Perry Cox's style) was decided by one (un)lucky force lightning shot, while Tyranus looked a lot like he was trying to make it with his hide intact and all 4 limbs in place. He threw that tower on Anakin and Obi 1, just to make it to his space-barge in 1 piece.

Tolkien's books are not written as a D&D sourcebooks, so the power scale is a bit inconsistent. If we stick with the Silmarillion though, Sauron might have been a shaper of creation itself, but got taken down by a group of Valian champions with magic weapons who....were not force trained and had no lightsabers....

Elrond
2008-02-18, 12:51 AM
Yoda wins, because i use my secret weapons, giant red bolded words saying
YOUR WRONG DEAL WITH IT

sarcasm everyone

from
EE

is that so how about this
SARON IS IMMORTAL