PDA

View Full Version : Complete Champion.

Archangel Yuki
2008-02-09, 07:42 PM
Ok, this is really getting to me. Complete champion, page 87. Can't remember the prestige class name, but it has
1) 8/10 advancement for spellcasting
2) The kicker: free levels as class abilities. At 3,5,7 and 9th level, you gain +1 to either an arcane casting or diving casting class.

So you can qualify at 4th level to take it.

4 levels of wizard
+8 arcane advancement from class
+4 wizard levels from class.

You cast spells as a 16th level wizard at 13th level.
:smallannoyed:

Someone at Wizards needs to get punched in the throat.

Please, someone with the book, tell me I am wrong. Please.

Zincorium
2008-02-09, 07:48 PM
Reading comprehension, dude.

The class is only 8/10 spellcasting using all those free class abilities. Imdastri or Ktolemagne (who comes up with these names?) allow you to gain additional spellcasting, other wise it's only 4/10.

Just look at the table, see the parenthetical note under certain levels of spellcasting? You don't get those without the bonus class feature list (and you don't get 'levels of wizard', you only get spellcasting as usual. So no familiar advancement or bonus feats.).

Additionally, you can't enter it as a wizard until 5th level because you have to have 3rd level spells.

So you are wrong, just as you requested to be told. The prestige class is mediocre at best.

Fax Celestis
2008-02-09, 07:51 PM
For reference, the class is the Mythic Exemplar and can be found here. (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20070504a&page=3)

Douglas
2008-02-09, 07:53 PM
The spellcasting advancement at levels 3, 5, 7, and 9 in the table is not in addition to those class abilities, it is those class abilities. In the table, it is noted as only being for the two paths whose class ability advances spellcasting, and in the text it specifies spellcasting advancement for levels 2, 4, 6, and 8, with more for those two paths through the archetype advancement class feature.

Kristoss
2008-02-09, 08:41 PM
It Still looks broken to me.
If you take 9 levels. That gives you 8 out of 9 spell casting advancement as well as d8 hit die and 3/4 base attack progression as a wizard. Oh and you get the benefits of a 110,000gp Magic item for free.
All this costs you what, 2 wizard bonus feats.

Zincorium
2008-02-09, 08:53 PM
It Still looks broken to me.
If you take 9 levels. That gives you 8 out of 9 spell casting advancement as well as d8 hit die and 3/4 base attack progression as a wizard. Oh and you get the benefits of a 110,000gp Magic item for free.
All this costs you what, 2 wizard bonus feats.

The comparison shouldn't be to straight wizard. Given the sheer number of no lost level prestige classes out there for wizards, any character who's willing to go into one and can qualify should find a better one.

And I'm not sure what you mean by a 110,000 magic item. The spell resistance and insight bonuses only last a round per class level, and unless you trade out one of the higher ones you only get a single use per day.

Bag_of_Holding
2008-02-10, 02:27 AM
From what I have read, the Mythic Examplar only advances your spellcasting on 2, 4, 6 and 8th level. It's only when you choose Imdastri (divine) or Ktolemagne (arcane) that you'll advance you spellcasting as 8/10 through Archetype advancement class feature. Not broken at all.