PDA

View Full Version : [Feats] Mental Abuse

The Vorpal Tribble
2008-02-09, 09:17 PM
Deformity (Cranium) [Psionic, Vile]
By removing of much of your skull and subjecting yourself to psionic and electrical stimuli you have managed to swell your brain to an aberrant size.
Prerequisite: Willing Deformity
Benefit: You gain a +2 bonus to your Intelligence and 4 extra power points, however this unnatural enlargement has left you prone to fits of hallucinations and insanity. You take a -4 penalty to saves against confusion and illusions. As well, the vulnerability of your unprotected cerebrum grants those attempting Sneak Attacks or verifying a critical hit a +2 bonus to their check.

Deformity (Id) [Psionic, Vile]
Through meditation and constant indulgence of primal desires you have awakened the beast within.
Benefit: You gain a +1 bonus to unarmed or natural attacks and may deal lethal damage if you wish. You may also manifest Claws of the Beast, Bite of the Wolf, and Vigor once per day, manifester level equal to your HD. However, you are easily provoked, greedy, and covetous. You require twice the ammount of sustenance as is normally required for your race and at the slightest provocation go into a homicidal rage. If ever you are unable to gain the neccessary food or drink for the day, or are provoked, you must succeed on a DC 20 will save or attack the nearest creature, be it friend or foe, until you or they are dead. If you have the Rage ability granted from a class you must use it.

Deformity (Masochistic) [Psionic, Vile]
You have opened your mind wide to the pain and suffering of others and forced yourself to experience their agony. After a time you began to enjoy it...
Prerequisites: Willing Deformity
Benefit: You gain immunity to pain. You may also use Empathy at will, manifester level equal to your HD, though are only capable of sensing negative emotions and do not gain a bonus to any listed skill aside from Intimidate.

Deformity (Neuronecrotic) [Psionic, Vile]
By unspeakable methods of psychometabolic application, you have managed to simultaneously kill your brain and resurrect it with negative energy. This necroctic mass of tissue now resonates with the thoughts of the deceased.
Benefit: You gain the ability to use mind-affecting powers on creatures with the Undead type that possess an intelligence score.
Special: Your body continuously tries to reject the dead flesh, causing horrible fevers and dizziness. You are permanently Sickened.

Deformity (Deadened Thoughts) [Psionic, Vile]
Continuing the process of necrotizing your nervous system you are no longer effected as a living creature.
Prerequisites: Deformity (neuronecrotic), Willing Deformity
Benefit: You gain immunity to mind-affecting effects unless the manifester possesses the neuronecrotic deformity feat. You also no longer feel pain.
Special: Your deadening to sensation causes you to take a -2 penalty on all Dexterity-based skill checks. You also become vulnerable to Turning checks. You gain a +4 bonus to turning checks, though upon a failed check are Dazed for 1 round.

Deformity (Nightmare) [Psionic, Vile]
Through application of lucid dreaming and meditation you nightly expose yourself to the most horrible images your subconscious can dredge up.
Benefit: You gain immunity to fear, as well as abilities dealing with dreams, such as those with the Oneiromancy descriptor. These nightmares however make it difficult to rest properly and require two extra hours of rest to regain power points or prepare spells. You are also Fatigued for an hour after sleep or any other kind of unconsciousness.

Deformity (Psi) [Psionic, Vile]
Through rigorous and horribly dehabilitating meditation you have forced your mind to draw psionic energy from your life force.
Benefit: You regenerate power points at a rate of 1 point per hour. However, you take 2 points of damage each time you gain a point. You can discontinue this regeneration at will.
Special: You may take this feat multiple types. Each time you take it you increase the number of points you regenerate per hour and damage you sustain by 1.

Deformity (Third Eye) [Psionic, Vile]
You have drilled an extra socket into your forehead.
Prerequisite: Manifester level 3rd, Willing Deformity
Benefit: You manifest Clairsentient powers at a +1 manifester level.

Demented
2008-02-09, 09:31 PM
Through application of lucid dreaming and meditation you nightly expose yourself to the most horrible images your subconscious can dredge up.
Benefit: You gain immunity to fear, as well as abilities dealing with dreams, such as those with the Oneiromancy descriptor. These nightmares however make it difficult to rest properly and require two extra hours of sleep to regain power points or cast spells. You are also Fatigued for an hour after sleep or any other kind of unconsciousness.

That explains so much about my sleep schedule.

The Vorpal Tribble
2008-02-10, 10:02 AM
That explains so much about my sleep schedule.
What's your other deformity? :smallamused:

Deathtouched
2008-02-10, 11:46 AM
By unspeakable methods of psychometabolic application, you have managed to simultaneously kill your brain and ressurect it with negative energy. This necroctic mass of tissue now resonates with the thoughts of the deceased.
Benefit: You gain the ability to use mind-affecting powers on creatures with the Undead type that possess an intelligence score.

LOVE IT!!! :smallbiggrin: does this mean i can dominate liches now!? :smalltongue:

Benefit: You gain immunity to fear, as well as abilities dealing with dreams, such as those with the Oneiromancy descriptor. These nightmares however make it difficult to rest properly and require two extra hours of sleep to regain power points or cast spells. You are also Fatigued for an hour after sleep or any other kind of unconsciousness.

Also totally awesome!!

EDIT: sorry but my brain exploded and I can't remember how to ensquare correctly...

The Vorpal Tribble
2008-02-10, 06:49 PM
LOVE IT!!! :smallbiggrin: does this mean i can dominate liches now!?
Sure can... if you're into that kind of thing.

EDIT: sorry but my brain exploded and I can't remember how to ensquare correctly...
[quote]TEXT[/quote ]

Krimm_Blackleaf
2008-02-10, 06:59 PM
I'm rather fond of these, smashing BoVD and EPH in a glorious cacophony of madness and cranial disfigurement. :smallbiggrin: Good job.

The Vorpal Tribble
2008-02-12, 10:07 AM
I'm rather fond of these, smashing BoVD and EPH in a glorious cacophony of madness and cranial disfigurement. :smallbiggrin: Good job.
Are deformity feats in BoVD? I just knew they were in Heroes of Horror and Elder Evils.

Guyr Adamantine
2008-02-12, 10:25 AM
Are deformity feats in BoVD? I just knew they were in Heroes of Horror and Elder Evils.
They first appeared in the BoVD, I believe.

TempusCCK
2008-02-12, 10:27 AM
Neat, nasty as hell, but neat.

SilentNight
2008-02-12, 10:33 AM
Seconded. Very nice and useful without being too powerful.:smalleek: :smallsmile:

Caelestion
2008-02-13, 08:05 PM
LOVE IT!!! :smallbiggrin: does this mean i an dominate liches now!? :smalltongue:
Probably not, because the lich template specifically makes them immune to mind-influencing effects, in addtion to them being undead.

puppyavenger
2008-02-13, 08:10 PM
Probably not, because the lich template specifically makes them immune to mind-influencing effects, in addtion to them being undead.

so now we have a reason for the reduddency:smallsmile:

The Vorpal Tribble
2008-02-13, 09:17 PM
Actually, just mind-affecting attacks (beats me why they even mention that as it's covered by the undead type).

So you can still read their minds and do other non-violent stuff.

MeklorIlavator
2008-02-13, 09:45 PM
Deformity (Cranium) [Psionic, Vile]
By removing of much of your skull and subjecting yourself to psionic and electrical stimuli you have managed to swell your brain to an aberrant size.
Benefit: You gain a +2 bonus to your Intelligence and 4 extra power points, however this unnatural enlargement has left you prone to fits of hallucinations and insanity. You take a -4 penalty to saves against confusion and illusions. As well, the vulnerability of your unprotected cerebrum grants those attempting Sneak Attacks or verifying a critical hit a +2 bonus to their check.

You mean that they get a +2 bonus on their attack roll, right? Or is check another euphemism for that now?

Maldraugedhen
2008-02-13, 11:53 PM
You've also got 'by removing of' in Cranial Deformation. Probably should be 'by the removal of' or 'by removing'.

magic_unlocked
2008-02-14, 05:22 AM
These are awesomely awesome. I know a person that would love these.

Shiny, Bearer of the Pokystick
2008-02-14, 09:21 AM
Sweet baby Vecna! Yoink and skedaddle again. :3

And don't change a thing, by the way.

MorkaisChosen
2008-02-14, 10:12 AM
These are awesomely awesome. I know a person that would love these.

Scared now...

magic_unlocked
2008-02-14, 03:15 PM

Scared now...

You're scared? o_O

JoshuaZ
2008-02-14, 07:16 PM
By unspeakable methods of psychometabolic application, you have managed to simultaneously kill your brain and ressurect it with negative energy. This necroctic mass of tissue now resonates with the thoughts of the deceased.

I like this a lot since I'm a fan of both undead and psionics. However, I have some minor issues with it; an undead creature with psionic abilities doesn't naturally get its mind-affecting powers affecting intelligent undead so it isn't completely clear why this should work flavorwise. Also as a flavor v. crunch issue, if your brain is undead shouldn't it be rebukable or damageable by positive energy (and for that matter won't drowning do a lot less). I'd suggest instead saying that you've grown a special extra region into your brain which you then killed and infused with negative energy. I'd also be inclined to make an equivalent version of this that was not psionic but had as a prerequisite being able to cast Animate Dead.

Deformity (Third Eye) [Psionic, Vile]
You have drilled an extra socket into your forehead.
Prerequisite: Manifester level 3rd, Willing Deformity
Benefit: You manifest Clairsentient powers at a +1 manifester level.

I'm not sure why this is vile since many cultures engage in trepanning. Also, I'm curious is this at all inspired by His Dark Materials?

Mewtarthio
2008-02-14, 07:22 PM
I like this a lot since I'm a fan of both undead and psionics. However, I have some minor issues with it; an undead creature with psionic abilities doesn't naturally get its mind-affecting powers affecting intelligent undead so it isn't completely clear why this should work flavorwise. Also as a flavor v. crunch issue, if your brain is undead shouldn't it be rebukable or damageable by positive energy (and for that matter won't drowning do a lot less). I'd suggest instead saying that you've grown a special extra region into your brain which you then killed and infused with negative energy. I'd also be inclined to make an equivalent version of this that was not psionic but had as a prerequisite being able to cast Animate Dead.

Of course psionic undead can't use mind-affecting powers on other undead: They don't have the feat!

Besides, it's not like you can stab yourself repeatedly to grow lots of scars and expect to get an AC bonus without the appropriate feat.

I'm not sure why this is vile since many cultures engage in trepanning. Also, I'm curious is this at all inspired by His Dark Materials?

It's Vile because it's a deformity. For the same reason that, say, it's Vile to file your teeth down into sharp stabbing implements.

magic_unlocked
2008-02-14, 08:18 PM
Y'know, I think VT should make more of these.

HellFencer
2008-02-15, 11:08 AM
Deformity (Id) [Psionic, Vile]
Through meditation and constant indulgence of primal desires you have awakened the beast within.
Benefit: You gain a +1 bonus to unarmed or natural attacks and may deal lethal damage if you wish. You may also manifest Claws of the Beast, Bite of the Wolf, and Vigor once per day, manifester level equal to your HD. However, you are easily provoked, greedy, and covetous. You require twice the ammount of sustenance as is normally required for your race and at the slightest provocation go into a homicidal rage. If ever you are unable to gain the neccessary food or drink for the day, or are provoked, you must succeed on a DC 20 will save or attack the nearest creature, be it friend or foe, until you or they are dead. If you have the Rage ability granted from a class you must use it.
I recently ran into trouble with this vague rule. The problem is, D&D doesn't define what "provocation" is, in any form. Often, the closest substitute is taking damage. Flavorwise, this doesn't work well since you can't then be provoked by anything else. The solution to this is to leave it up to GM fiat, but this can lead to even larger problems of fairness.

Perhaps a "provocation check" can be made? Consider a modified Sense Motive check, DC 15 + character level. From level 1-20, that's a DC range of 16-35, which seems fair to me. Should this check be failed, the character is considered provoked and would need to make the will save. This then brings up another point: the will save is nearly negligible by 20th level. The will save should either scale (to represent a constant struggle against the self), or the save could be denied certain types of bonuses (from magic items, for instance) to represent the severity of the struggle. Again, these are only my opinions.

I agree that by having an undead brain, one should be susceptible to turn checks and/or positive energy. However, since only a portion of the person is undead, he should have a +4 against turn checks and only be dazed instead of fleeing. This would extend to healing spells in a contradictory manner; at the cost of being healed, one's mind could take 1 point of temporary wisdom damage.

Not only does this now work for mechanics, but also for flavor, as someone being healed on a regular basis would exhibit minor insanity.

magic_unlocked
2008-02-15, 01:59 PM
Hmm... That's interesting. Instead of automatically taking the wisdom damage, perhaps it should be a will save? DC = standard spell save calculation?

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-03-14, 01:35 PM
Yeah, I know this is threadomancy, but ironically it's to add an extra feat for neuronecrotic.

Have also adjusted feats in regards to comments.

thegurullamen
2010-03-14, 07:16 PM
By unspeakable methods of psychometabolic application, you have managed to simultaneously kill your brain and resurrect it with negative energy.

I think this might be the coolest sentence I've ever seen on these boards.

Zexion
2010-03-14, 08:27 PM
Someone should put that in their signature.

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-03-14, 08:56 PM
Someone should put that in their signature.
Geeze, and it wasn't even in response to a V's Gender thread...

waterpenguin43
2010-03-14, 10:14 PM
These are all beautiful, but may I suggest Deformity(Ego)? It might have a signifigantly raised ego and a lowered one.

magic_unlocked
2010-03-15, 11:28 AM
Well, I second the notion that you should include a deformity feat for the ego, since you already have one for the id. Maybe having a deformed ego would grant a bonus against enchantment effects? o_O

TabletopNuke
2010-03-17, 01:37 PM
Wow. This is kinda like my madness feats (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=129960), only cooler. I might use this for inspiration.