PDA

View Full Version : Sword Breaker's of the Titans [PEACH]

DrizztFan24
2008-02-09, 10:00 PM
First homebrew, be nice-ish

Sword Breakers
+4 STR enchantment (Bull's Strength)
+4 to disarm and sunder attempts (inherent in item build/design)
Suggested Price, 16,000+materials (iron ridges or adamantine, leather or dragon scale bracers?)

Sword Breaker's of the Titans allow characters to disarm/sunder as they choose. The PC may spend his round readying aginst an attack of a foe; however, the sword breakers may not be used against a weapon without a viable breaking point (so no sundering a hill giants club, otherwise DM's call). Once the readied action has been taken and the enemy attacks, the PC may make a disarm attempt to successfully catch the weapon in the ridges of the bracers (No AoO, Base Melee Attack Bonus+4). Once the Weapon is caught the PC may decide to either sunder, disarm, or lock up the weapon (preventing any action by either party till one party relinquishes hold) with respective checks.

SUNDER: Sunder damage is dealt by the player using his/her STR bonus, +4 from the sword breaker design, and the damage dice of his/her unarmed strike.
Example:regular unarmed strike damage is 1d6+3; sunder check=1d6+str bonus+4
*I didn't want to use just the +4 and the STR bonus or you wouldn't even break seven half the time; what good are sword breakers if you can't even bend a rapier?

DISARM: Roll your opposed disarm checks (no AoO, their weapon is locked between your arms) and include a +4 bonus from the sword breakers. (For the purpose of diarms the sword breakers are counted as neither light weapons nor two-handed weapons, the +4 is overall, so no stacking the +4 from two-handed and +4 from the gauntlets.) Your opponent is not granted an attack of opportunity if you fail.

LOCKING WEAPON: For your turn you may choose to lock your opponents weapon with opposed STR checks, for this you do not gain a + bonus for weapon design. You retain your dexterity AC modfier; however you may not make any attacks this round using your arms (so monks can still kick you if they choose to) that are enganged with the opposing weapon.

Thoughts? Fixes? All are appreciated:smallwink:

Halna LeGavilk
2008-02-09, 10:35 PM
Are these... gauntlets, what are they? How much do they weigh? Basics first, then magic.

DrizztFan24
2008-02-09, 10:52 PM
I think by technicality they are bracers. Sword breakers were generally made of leather that would cover the forearms of the wielder and allow them to catch/deflect/lock/snap weapon because of metal "blades" that would come off of the outside of the bracer. Occasionally the bracers would be reinforced on the ends by metal bands around the edges of the leather.
http://medieval.stormthecastle.com/armorypages/sword-breaker.htm
The flanges of the bracers are similar to the ones pictured on the dagger in the above website

Caracol
2008-02-10, 05:21 AM
I think that batman uses these. It's a ninja style weapon as derivation, I think.
Nice, but why make it enchanted rather than a normal weapon? I mean, they cost way too much. Reduce some bonuses but make it a regular weapon rather than an magic one.

DrizztFan24
2008-02-10, 12:00 PM
You could use them as regular items, I just put Bull's STR in them for my monk, run around as a disarmer and anti mage. But I have no idea they would cost as regular items.