PDA

View Full Version : Rob And Jack, An Interactive Webcomic

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

BRC
2008-10-20, 07:21 AM
Only Two vote/comments?

Lyinginbedmon
2008-10-20, 07:25 AM
It'll look all the more suspicious, but if he helps them he'll give himself away as the probable killer of that soldier.

2. Don't interact with them right now.

ThePhantom
2008-10-20, 09:09 AM
1. It is usually a good idea to stop the undead.

gamerboy6000
2008-10-20, 04:14 PM
I'll vote 1

Nice comic BRC

Fredricus
2008-10-21, 05:04 AM
I vote 1

Good comic

Drakefall
2008-10-22, 04:18 PM

Bashing zombies is always fun and it wouldn't help to garner a few guard buddies.:smallwink:

darkblade
2008-10-22, 04:29 PM
1 Max Brooks suggests always aiding the living when they are attacked by the undead and one does not argue with the author of The Zombie Survival Guide.

BooTheHamster
2008-10-22, 04:36 PM
1. Butcher the undead and run like hell.

BRC
2008-10-27, 10:12 PM
The Red Triangle of Dissapointment

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w27/bloddyredcommie/RandJ54.png
New arc means its exposition time.

As always, comments please, they warm my tiny soul.

@Memnarch: In the finest artistic tradition, I will claim those to be stylistic choices intentionally made to convey deeper meaning.

memnarch
2008-10-27, 10:18 PM
Hey! Where's the lampshade? (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0546.html) :smallbiggrin:

critique: a bit rushed? Some of the images are hanging over the black panel kines.

gamerboy6000
2008-10-28, 06:19 AM
Nice comic, as always.

BRC
2008-10-28, 11:00 PM
Only Two Comments? This can only mean it's FLUFF TIME!
Some Notes on the Steelwind Millitary

Standard Infantry
Captain Brimsalt identifies herself as being from the “42nd Mixed Infantry”. The designation is something of an artifact, practically every regiment in the Steelwind Legions is “Mixed Infantry”. Back when the empire was conquering, they would deploy troops in massed numbers, and regiments were organized by weapon type, so you would have the 25th Halberd, 15th Archers, 27th Swordsmen, ect. However, as they Empires focus switched from mass conquest to solving smaller flare-ups, this system led either to a force that was cripplingly overspecialized (Such as Halberdiers being deployed against a force of archers, instead of the shield-bearing swordsmen. Or Swordsmen against a largely cavalry force), or spreading the army too thin as they were forced to deploy three regiments of troops (One Archer, One Swordsman, and One Cavalry) against a foe that really only warranted one. The solution was the “Mixed Infantry” regiments, which contain all three basic infantry types (Although the Archers have been replaced with Riflemen). A Mixed Infantry regiment is often deployed as part of a “March”, which origionally meant Three Infantry Regiments (one sword, one halberd, and one archer) plus a warmages corps and a clerical corps, and commanded by a Marshal (A term originating from “March General”, referring to the General in command of troops on the March.) As the military reorganized, a “March” came to mean one or two Mixed infantry regiments with an appropriate compliment of warmagi and clerics.

The Pedigrees
The Steelwind Pedigrees are soliders who trace their lineage back to the original army under the command of Caroltar The Great, who expanded Steelwind from a city state into a small empire. They like to think of themselves as a sort of nobility, but they don’t have much political or economic power. But they still demand respect, and earn it Via their military actions. Steelwind Pedigree’s are elite forces, highly disciplined, well trained, and better equipped than your standard imperial grunt (whom they refer to as “Auxilleries”). They wear elaborate uniforms and put a lot of emphasis on ceremony and tradition. In short, their pompus idiots, but they are pompus idiots who happen to be some of the best soliders in the world. They often disapprove of fighting alongside “Auxilleries”, or worse yet, taking orders from one, however most commanders have found that you can keep them in line by promising shiny medals. In the Steelwind military a “Pedigree’s Reward” refers to a meaningless commendation given to keep people happy (Example “We spent three weeks in that lousy swamp, those lizardmen could pop out of the mud and vanish before we’d loaded our rifles. Swamp-muck was everywhere, everybody had at least three diseases, and morale was lower than ever so the brass tried bribing’ us with a Pedigree’s Reward.)
We've seen the Pedigree's before. They were in the Pretty Picture.

I'll try to do somthing halloweeny for this week.

BRC
2008-10-31, 11:17 AM
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w27/bloddyredcommie/Trickortreet.png

Cameo for the first person to identify all of the costumes...

Lyinginbedmon
2008-10-31, 11:39 AM
Red team Sniper
Dr Horrible
XKCD man with hat
The Joker

BRC
2008-10-31, 12:06 PM
Red team Sniper
Dr Horrible
XKCD man with hat
The Joker
Ding Ding Ding! We have a Winner!

memnarch
2008-10-31, 01:46 PM
Bugger; and I know them too. :smalltongue:

MrEdwardNigma
2008-10-31, 02:38 PM
I liked the zombie fight. Your style was quite good, though it did seem to be slightly rushed.

Also, nice halloween special :smallsmile:

BRC
2008-10-31, 04:50 PM
I liked the zombie fight. Your style was quite good, though it did seem to be slightly rushed.

Also, nice halloween special :smallsmile:
Thanks, I spent awhile battle-scarring all those soldiers.

I also cleaned up the comic a little on account of you whiners :smalltongue:

Uncle Festy
2008-11-02, 10:32 AM
Hey, I'm back, after finally getting myself to read through the archives.
I noticed two bugs – first, "Standard Operating Procedure" shows up twice, and second, "Situational Analysis" is MIA.

BRC
2008-11-05, 11:39 PM
I'll try to fix those, but for now

Conflict Exposition

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w27/bloddyredcommie/RandJ55.png

Comments?

Lyinginbedmon
2008-11-06, 03:15 AM
Should the background in the penultimate frame be zombies? Cool stylistic choice if so.

memnarch
2008-11-06, 07:13 AM
Slightly confusing comic layout; I like it. :smallcool:

BRC
2008-11-06, 08:23 AM
Should the background in the penultimate frame be zombies? Cool stylistic choice if so.
yes it should, the Fourth frame (Chuckles and his minions) Makes up the backround for all the others. This comic was intentionally stylized out of the standard panel format.

BRC
2008-11-06, 09:14 PM
Alright, I should have fixed those Archive thingys that Festy was talking about.
In the meantime, A question, a proposition if you willl, I was looking at my Sniper Greg from the Halloween special, and I realized I liked it better than normal longcoat-greg, so, the proposition is this
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w27/bloddyredcommie/Rob%20and%20Jack%20stuff/Gregredesign.png
Yay or Nay?

darkblade
2008-11-06, 09:24 PM
Yay if and only if you can hadwave it well.

BRC
2008-11-06, 09:28 PM
Yay if and only if you can hadwave it well.
Simple, It's already been stated that going through unstable portals can mess up Hammerweave.

Rob was grabbed when the Gnome wen't through and the portal messed up his Hammerweave bag, causing the bottom part of his helmet to get bent out of shape.

All I have to say is that when Greg wen't through the portal, now only held up by Jack's shoddy portal-holding job, it messed up his hammerweave longcoat, and he landed in somthing nasty, so he took the strain off his poor abused longcoat by taking his weapons out of it, and changed into some spare clothes he had with him.

darkblade
2008-11-06, 09:37 PM
Simple, It's already been stated that going through unstable portals can mess up Hammerweave.

Rob was grabbed when the Gnome wen't through and the portal messed up his Hammerweave bag, causing the bottom part of his helmet to get bent out of shape.

All I have to say is that when Greg wen't through the portal, now only held up by Jack's shoddy portal-holding job, it messed up his hammerweave longcoat, and he landed in somthing nasty, so he took the strain off his poor abused longcoat by taking his weapons out of it, and changed into some spare clothes he had with him.

It just messes up Rob's helmet a little bit but it radically changed Greg's outfit. That seems like a bit of an extreme variation but good enough for a yay vote.

BRC
2008-11-06, 09:43 PM
It just messes up Rob's helmet a little bit but it radically changed Greg's outfit. That seems like a bit of an extreme variation but good enough for a yay vote.
The outfit didn't change, this was a spare change of clothes Greg had in his coat that he puts on because his portal opened up above somthing nasty.

Zenos
2008-11-07, 12:11 PM
I vote yay. Outfit = :smallamused:

Drakefall
2008-11-07, 03:40 PM
Sniper Greg does look quite dashing there in his hunting vest. I like. But I urge you to keep the bowler! It's what made Greg Greg.:smallamused:

BRC
2008-11-07, 05:06 PM
Sniper Greg does look quite dashing there in his hunting vest. I like. But I urge you to keep the bowler! It's what made Greg Greg.:smallamused:
Like This?
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w27/bloddyredcommie/bowlergreg.png

BRC
2008-11-08, 12:55 AM
Let's get this exposition out of the way here, so you get a comic today as well!

Conflict Exposition Part II

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w27/bloddyredcommie/RandJ56.png

At this point I feel I must make a statement about Death and Necromacy in Etov which might explain some things.

When somebody dies, their soul gradually goes towrds the spirit of death who takes them to an afterlife, or just eats them, nobody really knows. Either way, what necromancers (And powerful clerics trying ressurection) do is bring the body, then heal it up before the soul realizes that said body can't hold it anymore. Or, in the case of Necromancers, just twist the soul into a tattered shadow of what it once was, then sticking it in the corpse after making it too stupid and obediant to the necromancer to realize that said corpse can't hold it. Or at least thats what some of the clerics say, necromancers have their own theories.
The only thing they both agree on is that the longer the body has been dead, the harder it is to raise or animate it. Eventually the soul gets to the spirit of death (The Reaper, The Ferryman, The Watcher at the Threshold, once again, many names) at which point the body is just a rotting lump of flesh that can't be animated or ressurected. Proper burial rights, mourning, a funeral service, a decent coffin and tombstone (Or whatever's appropriate for the culture of the deceased), stuff like that, speeds the process up a good deal. The fastest way to ensure a Corpse stays a Corpse is to have a Mortalker (Cleric of the death spirit) Preside over the funeral, or perform a second ceremony.

Chuckles was only able to Mass-animate the way he did because he had lots of fresh corpses that had mainly been put in the ground for hygene reasons. To paraphrase Belkar, it was like his birthday, only with dead bodies (Well, more dead bodies anyway)

Lyinginbedmon
2008-11-08, 07:17 AM
Undead make such handy soldiers :smallbiggrin:

memnarch
2008-11-08, 10:16 AM
Uhoh.

That can't be good. :smalltongue:

Uncle Festy
2008-11-09, 01:13 PM
Dun dun duh!!!

Drakefall
2008-11-11, 06:57 AM
Yeah... military inclined nobles + ideas = :smalleek:

And, on a different note: Sniper Greg + Bowler = Awesomeness:smallbiggrin:

gamerboy6000
2008-11-12, 07:57 AM
Nice comic BRC. That general looks evil. :smalleek:

BRC
2008-11-16, 10:49 PM
The show is over, it was fun, and now you gets a comic!
Conflict Exposition III, Son Of Conflict Exposition

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w27/bloddyredcommie/RandJ57.png

memnarch
2008-11-16, 10:54 PM
Ooo... wonder what they ran into.

Drakefall
2008-11-18, 03:42 AM
Sadly, that actually does look like a rather decent plan if you're lacking in the mage department... it's close enough to killing it with fire.:smalltongue:

ThePhantom
2008-11-18, 10:18 AM
Sadly, that actually does look like a rather decent plan if you're lacking in the mage department... it's close enough to killing it with fire.:smalltongue:

Except for the part of going after Chuckles solo. That part is stupid.

BRC
2008-11-19, 12:04 AM
Hey Hey Hey, New Comic. It would have been up about 45 minutes earlier, but Inkscape kept dying. Fortunately, I had Chuckles nearbye to bring it back.
Conflict Exposition IV: Charlie Foxtrot
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w27/bloddyredcommie/RandJr58.png

memnarch
2008-11-19, 12:32 AM
Yeah..... losing the cannons would be a big problem.

darkblade
2008-11-19, 08:45 AM
One must admire such dedication to his guild. Stoping in the middle of a battle to do paper work. :smalltongue:

BRC
2008-11-19, 11:10 PM
One must admire such dedication to his guild. Stoping in the middle of a battle to do paper work. :smalltongue:
Hey, if he's going to be in a life-threatening situation, he might as well get paid for it, plus get the health and legal benefits that come with working under Guild contract.

BRC
2008-11-26, 12:05 AM
Traveling this week for thanksgiving, seeing family and all that. So no comic, sorry. I may have a mini-somthing up for you tonight, but don't count on it.

BRC
2008-11-26, 12:49 AM
And, here it is, a little tidbit of Info for you
A Brief Guide to Undead

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w27/bloddyredcommie/Rob%20and%20Jack%20stuff/Chucklesspeaks.png

Zenos
2008-11-26, 03:47 AM
What's not to love? :smallamused:

gamerboy6000
2008-11-26, 08:25 AM
Brains! :smallbiggrin:

Uncle Festy
2008-11-26, 09:31 AM
Yaaay, zombies!

Ghill
2008-11-26, 10:39 PM
Necromancers are good for the environment! They let you kill things twice!

Out of curiousity, are all of Chuckles undead (with the exception of the Grinner) actually DnD monsters?

Uncle Festy
2008-11-26, 10:47 PM
I don't recognize them myself, but I don't have an encyclopedic knowledge of D&D.
The skitterers appear to be based off of L4D's Hunters, though.

BRC
2008-11-26, 11:02 PM
Necromancers are good for the environment! They let you kill things twice!

Out of curiousity, are all of Chuckles undead (with the exception of the Grinner) actually DnD monsters?
Nope, Rob and Jack, while it is a fantasy setting, it is not a D&D setting, I find those rules too limiting to storytelling and visual experimentation. With the exception of the zombies I didn't intentionally make any copies. I suppose the closest would be the Ghouls, but the ones Chuckles uses are mindless, while DnD Ghouls are not.

Edit: Well, mostly just hte visuals. I like being able to mess around with various spell effects and monsters rather than find DnD parallels.
Edit the second: There are multiple Grinners, not many, but more than one.

BRC
2008-12-01, 11:49 PM
I Bring Gifts!

First of all, I got Vulion to do some art, he responded with epic amounts of awsome.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v222/Li_Kenta/Rob.jpg

Secondly let's play a game

I Spy with my Little Eye...

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w27/bloddyredcommie/RandJ59.png
What should Rob and Capt Brimsalt do?
1) Rush to help Greg and the wounded Warmage.
2) Rush to help Oscar and the cannon crew.
3 Split their forces and try to help both.
You all know the drill...

Drakefall
2008-12-02, 08:48 AM
Option No. 1 for me please.

Reasonings: Greg certainly has a lot of those little buggers on his hands and with Warmage No. 11 wounded escapering won't be much of an option. Oscar on the other hand only has to deal with one baddie, ok yes it's a big baddie but still... one, and his cannon crew buddies look perfectly able to flee for their lives whilst Oscar distracts the grinner and then proceeds to scamper off himself if he can't beat it... Which he should be able to. He is a sun god cleric type guy after all and against the undead those types tend to do rather well.

Blayze
2008-12-02, 09:01 AM
Option 3.5: Rob goes to help Greg while Brimsalt, Derkins and co give Oscar a hand. Greg and the caster need the help of a veritable tank more than anything else, and Rob's perfect for the job.

ThePhantom
2008-12-02, 10:15 AM
1 for the reasons stated earlier

darkblade
2008-12-02, 11:12 AM
I'm gonna have to say 1 for the reasons everyone else has.

JackofAllBlades
2008-12-02, 11:38 AM
Option 3.6: I would say.Rob goes to help Oscar while the rest goes to help Greg.

I think ordinary soldiers would have much trouble hitting and defending against a major baddie .Also it seems that escaping wouldn't be much of an option for Oscar and the cannon crew since they look like to be stuck in a dead end.(Like the ones in the attack plan.)And if it is a narrow street as i guess, "numbers" wouldn't do much to help them...

memnarch
2008-12-02, 04:22 PM
3.6 for me.

Sending random mooks at a BBEG is just like tossing them out the window.

Blayze
2008-12-03, 03:52 AM
They can't be mooks -- they've got names.

BRC
2008-12-03, 02:47 PM
Technically, they are Redshirts, not Mooks. The last time we saw steelwinders, they were mooks, but this time, they are redshirts.

Also, all the "3.X" votes are going to be lumped together when I count the votes. if 3 wins, we will hold a second ultra fun bonus voting round to determine troop composition.

Also, I now know what it feels like to be a target demographic (http://www.cafepress.com/orderofthestick.336023567)

memnarch
2008-12-03, 08:15 PM
Oh, so we're a step up the "Mark o' Death" scale then. :smalltongue:

IsaacTheHungry
2008-12-04, 02:51 PM
Option No. 1 for me please.

Reasonings: Greg certainly has a lot of those little buggers on his hands and with Warmage No. 11 wounded escapering won't be much of an option. Oscar on the other hand only has to deal with one baddie, ok yes it's a big baddie but still... one, and his cannon crew buddies look perfectly able to flee for their lives whilst Oscar distracts the grinner and then proceeds to scamper off himself if he can't beat it... Which he should be able to. He is a sun god cleric type guy after all and against the undead those types tend to do rather well.

You convinced me, i vote No. 1 to brake the tie :smalltongue:

Uncle Festy
2008-12-04, 06:34 PM
You convinced me. No. 3 to sustain the tie! :smallcool:

Lyinginbedmon
2008-12-04, 07:52 PM
Hmm...3 is tempting if only to allow aid to both parties. Greg and the warmage are clearly facing overwhelming numbers, but the power of the Grinner attacking Oscar and the cannon crew can't be overlooked...

I'll vote 2

gamerboy6000
2008-12-06, 05:32 PM
I'll go with option 3.

BRC
2008-12-09, 09:26 AM
Unless my count is off, 3 is the winner!

Alright, Next week is Finals, so I don't know if I'll be able to get you a proper comic.
Now, it's time for the

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w27/bloddyredcommie/Rob%20and%20Jack%20stuff/Super.png
Here are the troops available.
Rob
Captain Sarah Brimsalt
4 Steelwind Infantry
3 Steelwind Riflemen (well, two riflemen and one riflewoman).

The Current Plans I have seen are

1) Rob goes to help Greg, while the Steelwinders go to help Oscar
2) Rob goes to help Oscar while the Steelwinders go to help Greg.
3)Rob takes the infantry to Oscar while Brimsalt takes the rifles to help Greg.
Feel Free to add other plans as inspiration strikes.

Hyozo
2008-12-10, 01:48 AM
I think I'll support option two. A redshirt army would (or what is left of it at least) probably have a better chance of survival against mooks than they would against an elite mook.

memnarch
2008-12-10, 06:32 PM
Option 2 for same reasons.

darkblade
2008-12-10, 06:59 PM
Plan 3
Rob and the infantry go help Oscar while Brimsalt and the riflemen go help Greg.

JackofAllBlades
2008-12-10, 07:31 PM
Yay for option 2! Cause of the reasons stated before...

Drakefall
2008-12-11, 02:02 PM
Option TTTTTWWWWOOOO~OOO... because I can be loud if I want to... unless this is a library... it isn't right? Oh and for reasons that are somewhat obvious and have kind of been stated already.

BRC
2008-12-12, 10:39 PM
Something quick I made, Answering Memnarch's fan mail question from back when I put out the call for questions at comic 50.
Filler/Fan Mail Comic #1

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w27/bloddyredcommie/Rob%20and%20Jack%20stuff/Filler1.png
Super extra awsome bonus voting is Still open!

memnarch
2008-12-12, 11:26 PM
:biggrin:

And I'll vote option 2.

gamerboy6000
2008-12-13, 04:02 PM
I'll vote Option 3

Nice Filler :smalltongue:

BRC
2008-12-17, 05:00 PM
Last finals are tommorow, so thats probably when the comic will be made. Get those votes in!

Current Scores:
Option 2: 5 votes
Option 3: 2 Votes

If you can read this edit, it's because Voting is more closed than a mom-and-pop store in a town with walmart. Lemme get to work

BRC
2008-12-19, 12:47 AM
Finals are OVER! Which means, it's COMIC TIME
Need a Ride?

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w27/bloddyredcommie/RandJ60.png

Also, as way of apologizing for the lack of comics these last two weeks, I will do more filler/fan mail. However, since our persons of protagonistic disposition are still busy, please direct your questions towards one of the following two groups/Persons
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w27/bloddyredcommie/Rob%20and%20Jack%20stuff/grunts.pnghttp://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w27/bloddyredcommie/Rob%20and%20Jack%20stuff/ChucklesFiller.png

IsaacTheHungry
2008-12-19, 09:14 AM
Glee!!! , a new comic:smallcool:

BRC
2008-12-21, 05:41 PM
No comments? ah well, I'll try to get another comic up tonight or tommorow. The question is, which group should we follow first, Rob, or Brimsalt and her infantry.

BRC
2008-12-23, 09:15 PM
I was hoping for at least one answer to the above question before I made the next comic, but alas, nothing...:smallfrown:

Anyway, a quick seasonal Message.

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w27/bloddyredcommie/Rob%20and%20Jack%20stuff/HappyHolidayspng.png
I may get to the next comic soon.

memnarch
2008-12-23, 10:25 PM
Ooo... nice.

Follow Rob btw.

BRC
2008-12-25, 09:48 PM
I just noticed, the above holiday greeting is the first time we have seen Jack's face and Oscar's hair.

Another quick one, Blame visiting with family/messing with my cashmas presents.
What's that mask made of?

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w27/bloddyredcommie/RandJ61.png
Rob's distracted the Grinner, giving Oscar some breathing room. What should Oscar do?
1) Take advantage of the opportunity to hit the Grinner with some heavy-duty Sun magic.
2) use Shape of Glass and join in the Fray.
3) Hang back and hit Rob with some support magic.

Lyinginbedmon
2008-12-25, 09:54 PM
I just noticed, the above holiday greeting is the first time we have seen Jack's face and Oscar's hair.

1) Take advantage of the opportunity to hit the Grinner with some heavy-duty Sun magic.

I hadn't noticed that either, cool.

Clearly the direct approach will be needed here. The more people dealing lots of damage to the thing, the faster it'll go down. Just beefing up Rob will still allow for the Grinner to evade/dodge his attacks. He's half as likely to dodge them both.

Uncle Festy
2008-12-25, 09:54 PM
1! Sun magic ftw!

memnarch
2008-12-26, 12:15 AM
Go Sun Magic!

darkblade
2008-12-26, 10:21 AM
I'm gonna say sun magic too.

JackofAllBlades
2008-12-26, 01:25 PM
I say sun magic, too.

Drakefall
2008-12-28, 08:28 AM
Power to the bandwagon, for it is all consuming! 1): Sun Magic... awaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!!!

Fredricus
2008-12-28, 08:42 AM
1) Sun Magic

Lyinginbedmon
2008-12-28, 10:49 AM
Could this be the first ever unanimous vote for Rob & Jack?

BRC
2008-12-28, 11:11 AM
Could this be the first ever unanimous vote for Rob & Jack?

Perhaps, I'm not going to check.

BRC
2008-12-30, 06:41 PM
Looks like people are done voting, I'll try to see when I can get another comic done.

BRC
2008-12-31, 12:57 AM
Late Comic, Blame Inkscape.

Dust to Dust

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w27/bloddyredcommie/RandJ62.png

ThePhantom
2008-12-31, 01:06 AM
Yay for sun spell. And Yay for cutaway to villians!

BRC
2008-12-31, 01:30 AM
BONUS COMIC!
Oscar explains his secret to Grinner-slaying.

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w27/bloddyredcommie/OscarExplains.png
Edit: Oops, forgot to put in the bit where he says that, generally Glass magic is more efficient than Light Magic for combat.

Lyinginbedmon
2008-12-31, 09:39 AM
SCIENCE!! :smallbiggrin:

Uncle Festy
2008-12-31, 09:53 AM
Aha! So he used a holy/light attack on an unholy/shadow creature?
It's super effective! :smallbiggrin:

memnarch
2008-12-31, 09:30 PM
Yay for cool comic! :smallbiggrin:

BRC
2009-01-04, 01:56 AM
This one was pretty easy, Enjoy and comment.

An Academic Interlude

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w27/bloddyredcommie/RandJ63.png
We'll get back to the warzone next update, don't worry.
For Now, let the epileptic trees take root.

Edit: Also: ZOMG, CASTERS, WITH MOUTHS!

Zenos
2009-01-04, 03:06 AM
I get an uh oh feeling about this. :smalleek:

memnarch
2009-01-04, 12:56 PM
It's the gnome! :smalleek:

Uncle Festy
2009-01-04, 09:51 PM
*ahem*
Elan, that's your cue.
:elan: Dun dun DUUUUN!

BRC
2009-01-05, 04:53 PM
Hey guys, it's time to vote! But there is no comic, which can only mean one thing

NEW GEAR!

the I.G.M.A has a decently sized office on-campus at Dimen-Foress. Jacks handled the paperwork to get our "heroes" officially declared a Team, thus combining their Igmabucks (kind of like frequent-flier miles for mercenary-adventurers. Igmabucks are earned by completing contracts, in addition to the wages earned by the contract itself, minus the guild fee of course. If you can navigate the paperwork, Igmabucks can be used to purchase magic items, Jack is the only one who has the patience to navigate the red tape, so the rest of the party had quite a bit saved up.)
Anyway, Jack is checking out the available merchandise at the Dimen-Foress IGMA office, and ten items have caught his eye. With the Igmabucks available, Jack can get four of them. Everbody get's two votes, items for other people will get to them when Jack rejoins the party.

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w27/bloddyredcommie/Rob%20and%20Jack%20stuff/Magicitems.png
(Left to Right)
Faithful Protector: This lightweight armor is ideal for clerics. Made out of blessed leather and cloth, a deity can more easily channel power through this armor to protect one of it’s faithful, depending on your diety, this could be in the form of glowing shield of protective energy, or just getting really lucky. (Results not guaranteed, good standing with deity required.)
Shelter Inna-box: Better than a tent, this magic box unfolds into a shelter capable of comfortably fitting 4 people. It’s reasonably durable and defensible, and includes beds, a table, and a fireplace. (Generica’s Magic Items Supply Co assures us that reports of dimensional rifts, and unsound structures are exaggerated)
Billigans Shrinking wagon: This “little red wagon” has been a favorite of MercAdv parties that find themselves on the road a lot for years. It’s self-propelled, decently durable, and can make good time over open country. When you’ve reached your destination, it can assume a more compact form that can easily fit into Hammerweave carrying cases. It also comes with a 2-year warranty (We are assured that Archmage Billigan’s spontaneous disappearance had nothing to do with using these devices, be sure to exit the wagon before activating the “Shrink” feature)
How to Make Friends and Influence Deities [25th Edition]: The Go-To Guide for clerics of all types for a century, this scroll informs clerics how best to honor and impress their patron deity, and therefore increasing the power of their holy magic. (Results may vary)
Book of Speakable Magic: Cultist Publishing Co’s first book, the Book of Unspeakable Magic, was a commercial failure despite it’s considerable utility because it was targeted at a rather limited audience. Therefore, CPC re-tooled it for a more mainstream audience, and removed the parts about demons, to create the Book of Speakable Magic. With proper study, the Book of Speakable Magic outlines how a True Mage can embody spells that would require continual concentration with limited sentience, freeing the caster to do other things. That’s in addition to giving them better general control over their spells. (CPC is not responsible for any ill-effects that result from using the Book of Speakable Magic, see the last chapter, titled “Disclaimers”)
Krimin and Krittlin “Eagle” Sniper Rifle: Ask any Mercenary-adventurer, the best battle is a short one that takes place a long ways away. With this rifle model from the famed designer/gunsmith duo “Krimin and Krittlin” the “Eagle” most of your battles can be that way. For years it’s been a favorite of Kobold Mafia snipers, and just recently K&K have begun manufacturing them in a size that humans can use. (K&K Gunsmithing cannot guarantee results if used improperly)
Bulwark of Defense: an Immovable Object is purely theoretical, but the Bulwark of Defense comes pretty close. Made by a master Dwarven Shieldsmith, and enchanted by artificers at the famed Dimen-Foress College of Magic, the Bulwark is a powerful defense against both physical and magical assault. It is kinda heavy though. (No Guarentees, past performance is no indicator of future results)
Rymin’ Brothers “Diplomat” shotgun: The Infamous Kobold Boss Alca said “You’ll get a lot farther with a gun and a kind word than with a kind word alone”. If the gun is a Rymin’ Bros “Diplomat”, you can probably skip the kind word altogether. This close-quarters, kobold-built shotgun is a favorite of dungeon delvers. Capable of firing both Slugs and Flechette rounds, it is a highly versatile short-to-mid range weapon, and it’s sturdy design and built-in hand guard make it handy in a frantic Melee. This model won the Rymin’ Bros the prestigious BLAM award for excellence in firearm construction from the IGMA magazine “Killing things for Money”. (Rymin’ Brothers Gunsmithing takes no responsibility for weapon malfunctions that result from use, please consult manual)
Acrobat’s boots: He flies through the air with the greatest of Ease, that amazing adventurer on the flying Trapeze! These boots increase the speed, agility, and jumping power of the wearer, they also absorb the impact of falls and can be used to deliver a nasty kick. (Wearer assumes responsibility for any and all injuries suffered as a result of use)
Spellgun: The latest gizmo that’s sweeping through the magical adventurer community, the Spellgun is a focus that allows a caster to compress a spell effect down to a much more manageable size. It’s the same spell force, just compressed, making it great for limiting collateral damage and punching through defenses. Also, that compressed energy deals damage much more efficiently when used against a single target. (Effectiveness will vary for different users)

This voting will be open for awhile, but feel free to discuss and debate before you cast your votes.

Lyinginbedmon
2009-01-05, 05:07 PM
I'm gonna vote for the Book of Speakable Magic and Spellgun

BRC
2009-01-05, 05:10 PM
I'm gonna vote for the Book of Speakable Magic

You get to vote for 2 things, the 4 items with the most votes get picked.

Deathslayer7
2009-01-05, 06:02 PM
Let's go with Faithful Protector and Rymin’ Brothers “Diplomat” shotgun: :smallbiggrin:

memnarch
2009-01-05, 06:21 PM
I'll vote spell gun and acrobat boots.

Boots are for Rob; then he can be this guy from Wall-E with his fists. http://www.wallpapersphere.com/files/s0lHIVYz.jpg (http://images.allmoviephoto.com/2008_Wall-E/2008_wall_e_wallpaper_013.jpg)

Uncle Festy
2009-01-05, 07:14 PM
Spellgun and Acrobat Boots.

BRC
2009-01-05, 10:22 PM
Ooh, Votes! The spellgun certainly seems to be popular, and Lying's votes do not surprise me in the least.

Now, a quick bit of fluffing. You may have noticed the term "Mercenary Adventurer" or MercAdv used instead of the more often used term "Adventurer". You see, an Adventurer is one who goes around doing exciting things. A Mercenary is one who kills things for money. What many fantasy "Adventurers" actually do is kill exciting things for money. In this matter,Etov's Mercenary-Adventurers are just like those from other fantasy settings, except that they are more honest about what they do.

Deathslayer7
2009-01-06, 02:26 AM
come on people! Diplomacy always helps. :smallbiggrin:

darkblade
2009-01-06, 08:31 AM
I say lets give them some useful non-weapon equipment. Shelter Inna-box and Billigans Shrinking wagon.

Fredricus
2009-01-07, 05:01 PM
Bulwark of defence and acrobats boots

Immovability and mobility!

BRC
2009-01-08, 12:20 AM
Keep those votes coming, I don't know when I'll be able to get the next comic done, so to pacify you, I present the piece of Fluffing you've all been waiting for.

The Devices of Fate

The Devices work through Fate magic, that is, they change the past in order to create a certain present. Each Device has a different ability, though said abilities cannot be activated too often, and have a habit of getting lost after repeated activation.

The Axe of Macguffin: Known as the "Egoists Axe", this weapon is the only item that activates it's power on it's own. Put plainly, The Axe uses fate magic to make itself very important. According to records, the Axe has been a sign of true kingship in twelve different kingdoms throughout history. It has been the only thing capable of slaying Twenty dragons, Fifteen dark wizards, and three demons. It has been the key to eight different temples, and so on and so fourth. It uses it's magic to make itself neccessary to fulfill important goals.

Chekov's Gun: A very versitle artifact, Chekov's gun was origionally a bow, but once Kobolds invented firearms, it turned into a gun. According to proffeser Lythandris of the Dimen-Foress College of Magic's Artifice department, "It's an artifact that runs off fate magic, anybody who says they know how or why it does things is lying". If activated, Chekov's gun identify's the greatest peril currently facing it's wielder and retroactivly gives itself a power needed to fight that peril. Due to it's nature, it will always have had that power.

Xanatos's Roulette: Known as "The Schemer's Wheel", this powerful artifact is prized by schemers. It analyzes the current situation concerning the person who activated it, then it uses it's powers of fate magic to change the past such that the current situation came about because of an elaborate and convoluted scheme concocted and carried out by the activator and their allies. Some believe it will only activate for those of considerable intellect and cunning, or perhaps if you lack such intellect it grants it to you. With Fate Magic it's hard to tell.

The Orb of Phlebotnium: Scholars believe that the Orb is the oldest of the Devices. Similar to Chekov's gun, the Orb's effects vary according to whatever is needed by the current situation. One theory states that there were origionally four Orbs of Phlebotnium, and that the other three morphed into their current forms as the other Devices.

ThePhantom
2009-01-08, 01:37 AM
It seems like Xanatos's Roulette is the most powerful of the four, except for maybe The Orb of Phlebotnium. From what written, our heros will have to use Chekov's Gun directly against the Roulette if they are going to have a chance at winning.

Lyinginbedmon
2009-01-08, 03:06 AM
I would argue that the Axe and Gun are the two most powerful (Not sure on the orb), because ultimately making the current situation one of your own doing is not very useful, especially if the current situation is life-threatening.

BRC
2009-01-08, 08:53 AM
It also makes the current situation somthing you would scheme to create.

For example, the enemy throws a blast of fire at you.

Before the spin, you are against the wall, with fire rushing at you. After the spin, you have chugged a potion that makes you immune to fire, and have been planning to cast a spell that, though powerful, requires that somebody from a certain bloodline is activly trying to kill you, or somthing like that.

BRC
2009-01-11, 09:41 PM
Woah, it's a comic.
He will unlive forever in their hearts

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w27/bloddyredcommie/RandJ64.png
Chronologically, this comic should probably be after the next batch, but I had the idea and had to make it.

I think this may be my favorite comic so far for a variety of reasons. Namely, I experimented with a new Inkscape trick, turning the backround into a pattern, allowing me to make a better panel setup with more complex backrounds without worrying about having background features (like the dartboard or the mug) line up Just right. In previous comics, where I stuck to my large, unwieldy panels, I really wasted alot of space and limited what I could do. Also, this comic only took me about ten to fifteen minutes less time than most comics do. It all just kind of came together really well.

Item Voting is still open. Comment Please

Uncle Festy
2009-01-11, 09:54 PM
:smallbiggrin:
:biggrin:
Classic.

memnarch
2009-01-11, 10:30 PM
I think this may be my favorite comic so far for a variety of reasons. Namely, I experimented with a new Inkscape trick, turning the backround into a pattern, allowing me to make a better panel setup with more complex backrounds without worrying about having background features (like the dartboard or the mug) line up Just right. In previous comics, where I stuck to my large, unwieldy panels, I really wasted alot of space and limited what I could do. Also, this comic only took me about ten to fifteen minutes less time than most comics do. It all just kind of came together really well.

*confusion* What do you mean by the bolded part? Did you make the background, group the objects together, and then copy-paste-crop as needed?

BRC
2009-01-11, 10:36 PM
*confusion* What do you mean by the bolded part? Did you make the background, group the objects together, and then copy-paste-crop as needed?
That's what I used to do, and it really slowed things up because I had to worry about things overlapping each other, and it was just generally very messy. What I did here was make the background of the Bar, group it, turn it into a pattern with the "Object to pattern" thing, make another box the same size, and set the pattern fill to the pattern I had just made. If I used the nodes to resize said box, it would very nicely cut things off just where I needed them. For this comic, the only thing it really made easier was the big mug sign at the back, but for more complex backgrounds, it will be fairly nice.

It also means I can ungroup stuff without having to worry about selecting objects in the background by accident, thus messing things up.

BRC
2009-01-12, 11:06 AM
No more comments makes zombies sad...

JackofAllBlades
2009-01-12, 11:24 AM
Brains! It made my day :smallbiggrin:
Instant classic.

IsaacTheHungry
2009-01-12, 09:43 PM
Brains :smallbiggrin:

BRC
2009-01-12, 11:19 PM
Heh, glad you guys like it, more comments Plz!. Hey, a new banner for you\
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w27/bloddyredcommie/Rob%20and%20Jack%20stuff/BrainsBanner.png

BRC
2009-01-13, 10:47 PM
My problem is that I think too much about throwaway minor characters, and then This happens
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w27/bloddyredcommie/Rob%20and%20Jack%20stuff/beforeandafter.png
Chuckles' guide to Undead, Part II

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w27/bloddyredcommie/Rob%20and%20Jack%20stuff/ChucklesspeaksII.png

Shades of Gray
2009-01-13, 10:51 PM
Cool, now what's the significance of the floating chin and mouth, a type of biting undead?

BRC
2009-01-13, 10:55 PM
Cool, now what's the significance of the floating chin and mouth, a type of biting undead?

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w27/bloddyredcommie/Rob%20and%20Jack%20stuff/response.png

gamerboy6000
2009-01-16, 10:49 AM
I'd hate to be around when a War Ghoul goes on a killing spree.

memnarch
2009-01-16, 04:25 PM
Bet he finds it hard to scratch an inch without tearing some body part off. :smalltongue:

BRC
2009-01-17, 11:51 PM
Grr, a short one, but I was busy watching "The Borne Identity", also I couldn't think of anything else to do for this one.
Reniforcing some Ments
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w27/bloddyredcommie/RandJ65.png
What should the Imperials do?
1) Send the infantry up the ladder/through the building to reinforce Greg and the warmage on the roof.
2) Clear and secure a spot on the ground, Have Greg and the Warmage try to get down there and into safety.

memnarch
2009-01-18, 12:03 AM
I'd say #2. It's usually easier to go down than up.

Lyinginbedmon
2009-01-18, 03:51 AM
I'll vote #2 as well

CrimsonAngel
2009-01-18, 09:31 AM
2. *filler words*

Fredthefighter
2009-01-18, 09:39 AM
Voting for 2)

darkblade
2009-01-18, 01:35 PM
I'm not sure about this one. About how big is the roof Greg and the warmage are on?

BRC
2009-01-19, 03:19 PM
I'm not sure about this one. About how big is the roof Greg and the warmage are on?

Decently large, their on top of what is essentially an apartment building if you want to think of it like that.

Fredricus
2009-01-21, 03:06 PM
Number 2, thank you

Drakefall
2009-01-23, 04:38 AM
While option 2 does seem the smarter/safer bet I'm gonna vote for option 1 because it's just the kind of stupid thing I'd probably do.:smalltongue:

Lyinginbedmon
2009-01-23, 05:20 AM
#2 means everyone gets the chance to escape and those on the roof get a brief reprieve whilst those on the ground provide cover fire.

#1 means the wearied roof-dwellers need to not only defend themselves but the ascending ground forces, and then everyone needs to leave in one big target.

I'm sticking with #2 personally.

BRC
2009-01-23, 11:01 PM
It looks like the vote is overwhelming for #2, I'll start whipping up a comic, hopefully tonight.

BRC
2009-01-25, 01:50 AM
Whoo, Comic!
They Teach this Trick in Basic Training

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w27/bloddyredcommie/RandJ66.png

The alternate title for this one, "With her sister"

NOTES:
To understand Greg's comment in panel one, you would need a different angle. The Skitterers have gotten close to the roof, and are moving too fast for a standard grenades, or even slug-shells to be any use, hence why he's using Rune-shells.
Also, before you yell at me about misusing the term Deus Ex Machina, you should know that, for the warnage, the squad's arrival WAS something entirely unexpected and random that ended up saving the day. Also, it's not like he looked up the term "Deus Ex Machina" to make sure he was using it right.

Zenos
2009-01-25, 05:54 AM
Heh, LASEM.

memnarch
2009-01-25, 10:05 AM
"Shut up." :smallbiggrin:

BRC
2009-01-30, 08:46 AM
No More comments? Ah well, I'll try to update tonight or tommorow.

BRC
2009-02-01, 01:22 AM
I keep meaning to make these comics longer, but then I realize I only have 4 panels of material.

They should just hide behind the Wall of Text

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w27/bloddyredcommie/RandJ67.png
What should they do?
1) Break for the Imperial lines
2) Cross the river and circle around the city
3) Capture and Defend the mansion until help shows up.

2nd question
What should they do about the cannon
1) Keep it, There is Never too much BOOM.
2) Leave it, the firepower just isn't worth the loss of mobility.

IsaacTheHungry
2009-02-01, 04:32 AM
3) Capture and Defend the mansion until help shows up.
1) Keep it, There is Never too much BOOM.

if the mansion is nearby then the fact that the cannon is slow doesn't matter much

Lyinginbedmon
2009-02-01, 06:39 AM
#3. A mansion is always a good place to be during a zombie attack. Unless it's Resident Evil...

#1. They'll need to keep up their defense of the group until they get to the Mansion, but it could hold an entire entryway with little assistance if done right.

Drakefall
2009-02-01, 11:13 AM
Hmm... I'm stuck between run like hell and board yourself in and grr a lot:smallconfused:.

Well in the interest of variety I'm gonna go for run like hell, that being.

Options 1): Imperial lines here we come! and 2): Well it IS called run like hell for a reason.

My logical reasonings being: I tend to like anything with the word "imperial" in it and reinforcements are notoriously dodgey and should never really be relied upon when you've got another decent choice available. So run Rob and Co, run! And make sure to destroy the cannon before you leave lest those pesky intelligent undead get a hold of it!

memnarch
2009-02-01, 12:44 PM
I'll vote for #3 and #1 respectively.

If they need to leave the cannon for any reason though, they should turn it into a large time bomb.

Uncle Festy
2009-02-01, 12:59 PM
3 and 1, please.

BRC
2009-02-04, 11:25 AM
Current Vote Total
Question 1
1: 1 vote
2: 0 votes
3: 4 votes
Question 2
1: 4 Votes
2: 1 vote
Keep those votes coming, Also, Some backround fluff about the Steelwind Empire

The Steelwind Empire, Land of the Six Crowns.
The name “Steelwind empire” can be blamed on the dwarves. The humans get their word “Steel” from the dwarven word “Stal”, which means “Refined or made useful”. Long ago, when human traders arrived from the islands that make up the Dotted Sea (I’ll make a map of Etov one of these days, I promise), the dwarves were amazed at how these humans were able to use the wind to propel their ships, and so gave them the name “Stalwind”, or “Those who have refined the winds”. “Stalwind” which later became “Steelwind”, was the north continent term for the mariners who lived in the island-sea, even if their ancestors had settled on the northern continent three generations ago, and they hadn’t set foot on a boat in their life. Steelwind became more of an ethnicity than anything, it’s original meaning long forgotten.
The empire itself began in the Steelwind kingdom of Selte, specifically with it’s rulers, King Jarland and Queen Isma. Modern-day Etov knows them as Emperor Jarland the Conqueror and Empress Isma the Lawmaker. A military Genius, Jarland gathered his armies and launched on a series of successful conquests, uniting the other Steelwind nations, and conquering far and wide amongst other nations. However, while Jarland was a great soldier, he wasn’t much of an administrator. Fortunetly, his wife Isma was incredibly skilled in that regard, and instituted a series of reforms to better incorporate her husband’s conquests into their growing empire. However, when her husband left on a campaign, a group of nobles began stonewalling her laws, saying that because she was a Queen, not a King, and because she was not royal blood, merely married to it, she couldn’t pass laws, merely make suggestions to the king. Queen Isma had these nobles thrown into the dungeons on a frivolous charge, but claimed that because Nobles had to be tried before the ruler, and according to them she was not a ruler, they would have to wait there until Jarland got back. Trapped by ironic chains, the nobles plotted how they would convince Jarland to divorce Isma and undo her reforms.
Outside the Imperial prison, there is a sculpture depicting the expressions on their faces when they were released, only to learn that Jarland had declared that the Queen and King (later Empress and Emperor) held equal power, no matter which one was born of royal blood. A few years later, just as Jarland was preparing to repel an Elven incursion, he learned that Isma was pregnant. The royal couple decided that, according to tradition, they would name their first born child as Heir (assuming it survived of course). Jarland then rode off, and though he defeated the elves, and arrow wound he took got infected and he died not long after returning to the capital of his now sizable empire. A few months later, Isma gave birth, and a problem arose, she had triplets, Hackberry, Carl, and Gilta. Since they were triplets, none of them were the “eldest” child, so there was no clear heir. The armies had been fiercely loyal to Jarland, but now that he was gone, various nobles were trying to win generals over to their side, ready to, when Isma declared one of the triplets as Heir, throw their support behind another and initiate a succession war. Isma surprised them all by declaring that the three children would rule together as a council. Isma had the children raised in such a way as to foster cooperation between them before dying. The Empire now had three rulers, but a problem arose when Carl was preparing to get married. Because Emperor and Empress were equal positions, Carl’s wife (Name of Anna if anybody is interested) would hold equal power with him, and would therefore have a seat on the council of emperors. It soon became clear that the empire would be ruled by a council of six, and the council adopted the symbol of the six-pointed star that is still used today.
The system continues, with three couples sitting on the council, which has three thrones, each corresponding with one of the original triplets and capable of sitting two. Since then the empire has gone through periods of growth and decline, rises and falls, ect ect. It remains the most powerful single nation on the northern continent. Though it has little trouble with other nations, it’s armies are kept busy holding back raiders from the wilderness, putting down the occasional rebellion, and dealing with sporadic threats wherever they arise. Imperial Marnese (Marnese is the language spoken by the mariners who live on the Dotted Sea) is the Lingua Franca of the northern continent, and Imperial-stamped coins and bills are accepted almost anywhere in the north. The Empire’s government is an odd mix between rule by local nobles and councils, and a centralized bureaucracy under the Six Crowns. However, where the authority of local nobles ends and that of the centralized government begins, so internal conflict often arises when one believes the other has stepped outside their bounds.

memnarch
2009-02-04, 06:31 PM
Holy wall of text Batman!

BRC
2009-02-05, 10:28 AM
Heh, I got bored while the forums were down...

Anyway, If there are no more votes, I may end up making, or at least starting the comic tonight! then again, I might just play mount and blade.

Lyinginbedmon
2009-02-05, 10:53 AM
then again, I might just play mount and blade.

Is that what kids are calling it these days? :smallwink:

BRC
2009-02-05, 11:08 PM
Part 1 of the comic, I'll get Part 2 up as soon as I can. Part Two is UP, Read and Enjoy.
Hide and Go Seek

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w27/bloddyredcommie/RandJ68p1.png
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w27/bloddyredcommie/RandJ68p2.png
Comments Please?

memnarch
2009-02-05, 11:33 PM
Interesting way of sounding off. :smalltongue::smallcool:

BRC
2009-02-06, 12:10 AM
Interesting way of sounding off. :smalltongue::smallcool:
Each Number corresponds to a different group. Each group checks a different room, and they constantly check in with each other, that way, if one group doesn't respond, the others (Who are nearby) can rush to help. Our perspective switches between the groups, the speech bubbles without tails mean that an off-panel group is talking.
Edit: Also, Part 2 is up, I'ma go sleep now, I want comments by the time I'm awake or else Chuckles will send Ninja Ghouls after you.

memnarch
2009-02-06, 12:18 AM
Statement: the meatbags are screwed.

Lyinginbedmon
2009-02-06, 03:47 AM
That's a new undead type as I mark it. I don't think you've shown them before.

BRC
2009-02-06, 10:40 AM
That's a new undead type as I mark it. I don't think you've shown them before.

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w27/bloddyredcommie/Rob%20and%20Jack%20stuff/Skeleghoulexplination.png

Uncle Festy
2009-02-06, 04:42 PM
Not bad.
… where are all those undead, anyways? Are we supposed to know yet?

Traker
2009-02-06, 08:23 PM
Thy are on the wall

BRC
2009-02-07, 01:55 PM
I thought I made their location clear (look at the colors), but If not it will become obvious soon enough.

Traker
2009-02-07, 07:33 PM
Or on the roof

BRC
2009-02-07, 09:54 PM
Or on the roof

You were Right
The Fiddler on the Roof

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w27/bloddyredcommie/RandJ69.png
What should they do?
1) Hold with Capt Brimsalt's battle line and try to hold the undead back.
2) Call for, and engage in a fighting retreat.
3) Call people back and let Oscar summon a glass elemental.
4) Try to give Rob a boost so he can get onto the roof.
5) Help push forward so Greg can shoot a grenade through the hole in the roof.
6) Drakefalls Plan, see below.

Also, A Picture for you! because I love you guys just that much!
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w27/bloddyredcommie/Rob%20and%20Jack%20stuff/Grenadiers.png

Uncle Festy
2009-02-07, 10:07 PM
I'm gonna have to go with 3.

Traker
2009-02-07, 11:15 PM
How about 5

ThePhantom
2009-02-07, 11:18 PM
3 keeps people alive, and try to get the glass elemental to take out that fiddler

CrimsonAngel
2009-02-08, 09:34 AM
5 Please, kind sir. :smallsmile:

Drakefall
2009-02-09, 04:23 AM
I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest that (3) Oscar summons a glass elemental which provides cover for (5) Greg to fire a grenade up the hole which in turn provides an opportunity for (4) Rob to get up on the roof and take out that fiddler while (1) the captain and everyone else hold off the undead minions until their commander is deader thus allowing for (2) a fighting retreat to Imperial lines.

Or, you know, just (3) if I have to pick.:smalltongue:

Blayze
2009-02-09, 08:24 AM
That's just crazy enough to actually work!

JackofAllBlades
2009-02-09, 09:18 AM
I liked what Drakefall suggested :smallsmile: I would also go with 35412 and if I'm not allowed to do so I would say Oscar summons an elemental keeping undead busy while they make a fighting(if necessary) retreat.

BRC
2009-02-09, 07:56 PM
I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest that (3) Oscar summons a glass elemental which provides cover for (5) Greg to fire a grenade up the hole which in turn provides an opportunity for (4) Rob to get up on the roof and take out that fiddler while (1) the captain and everyone else hold off the undead minions until their commander is deader thus allowing for (2) a fighting retreat to Imperial lines.

Or, you know, just (3) if I have to pick.:smalltongue:

That's a potential plan except for the last part, they wouldn't get to the imperial lines before sundown, and you do NOT want to be stuck in a necropolis at night, especially when the necromancer in charge can whip up Laughing Shadows, and your greatest anti-undead weapon is a Cleric. A Fighting Retreat would mean a Fighting Reatreat out of the room.

I'll add your plan as #6

Traker
2009-02-09, 11:50 PM
That's a potential plan except for the last part, they wouldn't get to the imperial lines before sundown, and you do NOT want to be stuck in a necropolis at night, especially when the necromancer in charge can whip up Laughing Shadows, and your greatest anti-undead weapon is a Cleric. A Fighting Retreat would mean a Fighting Reatreat out of the room.

I'll add your plan as #6

In that case 6

Shades of Gray
2009-02-09, 11:56 PM
6 my fine gentleman!

Fredricus
2009-02-10, 02:58 AM
Plan 6, it sounds good

Drakefall
2009-02-11, 10:33 AM

I'll add your plan as #6

Oooh... For some reason I thought that was a sunrise. I now feel slightly dumber...:smallsigh:

At any rate, thanks for including my meant-as-joke-but-still-awesome-action-packed-plan as an option. I feel truly honoured!:smallbiggrin:

BRC
2009-02-11, 09:38 PM
I'll get a comic done at some point in the next few days, I think. My DnD campaign is wrapping up, so I got to work on the big finish. So, instead, I made a map of the northern continent of Etov, maybe I'll add cities and stuff to it later, but for now, here it is. I made up most of those names off the top of my head, so who knows if those other nations will ever be relevant to the story.

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w27/bloddyredcommie/Rob%20and%20Jack%20stuff/NorthernContinantofEtov.png

Traker
2009-02-12, 12:51 PM
Cool I like maps.

BRC
2009-02-14, 11:37 PM
Hey, hey hey everybody, I could pass this off as a full comic and wait a week, but instead I'm going to say this is just part one, I'll try to get part 2 done tonight.
Behold, Part 2

Well, he was given a choice.

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w27/bloddyredcommie/RandJ70.png
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w27/bloddyredcommie/RandJ70p2.png

memnarch
2009-02-15, 12:25 AM
Ooooooo...... Pretty colours......

ThePhantom
2009-02-15, 12:27 AM
sweet golem

BRC
2009-02-15, 01:51 PM
Hey Hey Hey!
Part 2 is up, Comment and Enjoy.

PS, I decided to call that Golem the "Glass Predator"

memnarch
2009-02-15, 02:15 PM
Go beat him up anyway Rob; he'll probably end up coming back if you don't!

BRC
2009-02-15, 05:51 PM
Hey, The New Gear voting will close soon, For those of you who forgot about it, here is the spoiler. Everybody gets 2 votes, the 4 items with the most votes get picked.

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w27/bloddyredcommie/Rob%20and%20Jack%20stuff/Magicitems.png
(Left to Right)
Faithful Protector: This lightweight armor is ideal for clerics. Made out of blessed leather and cloth, a deity can more easily channel power through this armor to protect one of it’s faithful, depending on your diety, this could be in the form of glowing shield of protective energy, or just getting really lucky. (Results not guaranteed, good standing with deity required.)
Shelter Inna-box: Better than a tent, this magic box unfolds into a shelter capable of comfortably fitting 4 people. It’s reasonably durable and defensible, and includes beds, a table, and a fireplace. (Generica’s Magic Items Supply Co assures us that reports of dimensional rifts, and unsound structures are exaggerated)
Billigans Shrinking wagon: This “little red wagon” has been a favorite of MercAdv parties that find themselves on the road a lot for years. It’s self-propelled, decently durable, and can make good time over open country. When you’ve reached your destination, it can assume a more compact form that can easily fit into Hammerweave carrying cases. It also comes with a 2-year warranty (We are assured that Archmage Billigan’s spontaneous disappearance had nothing to do with using these devices, be sure to exit the wagon before activating the “Shrink” feature)
How to Make Friends and Influence Deities [25th Edition]: The Go-To Guide for clerics of all types for a century, this scroll informs clerics how best to honor and impress their patron deity, and therefore increasing the power of their holy magic. (Results may vary)
Book of Speakable Magic: Cultist Publishing Co’s first book, the Book of Unspeakable Magic, was a commercial failure despite it’s considerable utility because it was targeted at a rather limited audience. Therefore, CPC re-tooled it for a more mainstream audience, and removed the parts about demons, to create the Book of Speakable Magic. With proper study, the Book of Speakable Magic outlines how a True Mage can embody spells that would require continual concentration with limited sentience, freeing the caster to do other things. That’s in addition to giving them better general control over their spells. (CPC is not responsible for any ill-effects that result from using the Book of Speakable Magic, see the last chapter, titled “Disclaimers”)
Krimin and Krittlin “Eagle” Sniper Rifle: Ask any Mercenary-adventurer, the best battle is a short one that takes place a long ways away. With this rifle model from the famed designer/gunsmith duo “Krimin and Krittlin” the “Eagle” most of your battles can be that way. For years it’s been a favorite of Kobold Mafia snipers, and just recently K&K have begun manufacturing them in a size that humans can use. (K&K Gunsmithing cannot guarantee results if used improperly)
Bulwark of Defense: an Immovable Object is purely theoretical, but the Bulwark of Defense comes pretty close. Made by a master Dwarven Shieldsmith, and enchanted by artificers at the famed Dimen-Foress College of Magic, the Bulwark is a powerful defense against both physical and magical assault. It is kinda heavy though. (No Guarentees, past performance is no indicator of future results)
Rymin’ Brothers “Diplomat” shotgun: The Infamous Kobold Boss Alca said “You’ll get a lot farther with a gun and a kind word than with a kind word alone”. If the gun is a Rymin’ Bros “Diplomat”, you can probably skip the kind word altogether. This close-quarters, kobold-built shotgun is a favorite of dungeon delvers. Capable of firing both Slugs and Flechette rounds, it is a highly versatile short-to-mid range weapon, and it’s sturdy design and built-in hand guard make it handy in a frantic Melee. This model won the Rymin’ Bros the prestigious BLAM award for excellence in firearm construction from the IGMA magazine “Killing things for Money”. (Rymin’ Brothers Gunsmithing takes no responsibility for weapon malfunctions that result from use, please consult manual)
Acrobat’s boots: He flies through the air with the greatest of Ease, that amazing adventurer on the flying Trapeze! These boots increase the speed, agility, and jumping power of the wearer, they also absorb the impact of falls and can be used to deliver a nasty kick. (Wearer assumes responsibility for any and all injuries suffered as a result of use)
Spellgun: The latest gizmo that’s sweeping through the magical adventurer community, the Spellgun is a focus that allows a caster to compress a spell effect down to a much more manageable size. It’s the same spell force, just compressed, making it great for limiting collateral damage and punching through defenses. Also, that compressed energy deals damage much more efficiently when used against a single target. (Effectiveness will vary for different users)
Current Votes:
Book of Speakable Magic: 1
Spellgun:3
Faithful Protector: 1
"Diplomat": 1
Acrobat Boots:3
Shelter:1
Wagon:1
Bulwark: 1

People who have voted
Lyinginbedmon
Deathslayer7
Memnarch
Uncle Festy
Darkblade
Fredricus

Uncle Festy
2009-02-16, 02:11 PM
Aaaaaawesome. :smallbiggrin:

CrimsonAngel
2009-02-16, 02:22 PM
Shelter inna box! :smallsmile:

Neoriceisgood
2009-02-16, 07:47 PM
Billigans Shrinking wagon and Shelter Inna-box get my vote. :smallredface:

:smallredface:

BRC
2009-02-18, 04:36 PM
Fiddler Off the Roof
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w27/bloddyredcommie/RandJ71.png
Current Votes

Current Votes:
Book of Speakable Magic: 1
Spellgun:3
Faithful Protector: 1
"Diplomat": 1
Acrobat Boots:3
Shelter:3
Wagon:2
Bulwark: 1
Voting will be open for awhile longer, as things stand now, The Items will be the Spellgun, the Boots, the Shelter, and the Wagon.

memnarch
2009-02-18, 11:45 PM
What an arse. :smallsigh:

BRC
2009-02-19, 01:37 PM
No more Comments and/or votes on the items?
Anyway, because I seem to be in a re-design frenzy
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w27/bloddyredcommie/Rob%20and%20Jack%20stuff/Jackredesign.png

Traker
2009-02-19, 01:42 PM
Faithful Protector, and Rymin’ Brothers “Diplomat” shotgun:smallamused::smallcool::smallsmile:

BRC
2009-02-19, 02:38 PM
Ah, It appears we have a Tie!
I'm hoping to get the next comic done soonish, so we will need to settle this.
The Acrobat's boots, the Spellgun, and the Shelter are Go, but the fourth item is tied, between The Shrinking Wagon, the Faithful Protector, and the Rhymin Brothers "Diplomat" Shotgun. Even if you already voted, you can revote in this round, one vote each.

ThePhantom
2009-02-19, 02:46 PM
I vote for the faithful protector

Deathslayer7
2009-02-19, 02:59 PM
Diplomat Shotgun. :smallamused:

Drakefall
2009-02-20, 09:26 AM
Hey week long lapses of internet do have an upside: webcomic updates!

I'll take my vote for the Shrinking Wagon to be number 4 please.:smallsmile:

Neoriceisgood
2009-02-20, 10:03 AM
I'll vote for the Shrinking Wagon as well. :smallsmile:

BRC
2009-02-20, 02:56 PM
I'm hoping to do the next comic tonight, so if you want to vote in the tiebreaker round, Vote Now.

Also, I have an urge to do a profile on one of the nations on this map

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w27/bloddyredcommie/Rob%20and%20Jack%20stuff/NorthernContinantofEtov.png Steelwind Empire has already been discussed at length, so it's out, but which one sounds the most interesting?
Edit: The nation profile is not a vote, it's a combination of what people are interested in and which nation I have ideas for, more like a poll than a vote.

Lyinginbedmon
2009-02-20, 04:00 PM
I'ma go vote for Diplomat Shotgun and for detailing the Ruined Wastes

:smallsmile:

memnarch
2009-02-20, 04:30 PM
I'll vote the protector and "vote" for the Ruined Wastes as well.

BRC
2009-02-20, 08:26 PM
And another Tie. Alright, I've decided to go with the Shotgun. Also, Part 1 of the comic, I'll think of a title later
At least it's better than flying through O'hare.

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w27/bloddyredcommie/RandJ72p1.png
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w27/bloddyredcommie/RandJ72p2.png

Lyinginbedmon
2009-02-20, 09:44 PM
I think Jack looked better with the bandana mouth covering, it gave him a real mystique.

memnarch
2009-02-20, 09:50 PM
Ya, bring back bandana! :smalltongue:

BRC
2009-02-20, 10:30 PM
I never intended to get rid of the Bandanna, he just had it off for a bit. There is a reason for it besides coolness, in Etov verbal components only need to be loud enough for the caster to hear them, so most casters whisper their incantations so people don't know when they are casting. Casters used to combat habitually keep their mouths covered with a scarf, cloak, hood, bandanna, mask, ect, so people can't tell when they are casting by looking at their lips (If you notice, all combat mages in the comic so far have kept their mouths from view for this very purpose). As you can see above, while Jack may have taken his bandanna off for a brief period, he puts it back on the moment he starts heading towards potential danger.
Also, Part 2 is up, for those who don't understand the title, O'hare is the airport in chicago, it's infamous for delays, or maybe I personally have just had bad luck flying through there. Whichever works. I'll try to do that Writeup of the wastes at some point in the near future, in the meantime, comments?

Traker
2009-02-21, 10:21 AM
Oh i have an airport but this probably isnt the right thread.

Deathslayer7
2009-02-21, 04:52 PM
awesome. the shotgun is in. :smallamused:

and good comic.

Uncle Festy
2009-02-21, 08:23 PM
Dun Dun Duuun!

BRC
2009-02-22, 08:32 PM
Typed this up pretty quickly, it's not my best work, but it should give you an impression of the Ruined Wastes.

No maps exist of the Ruined wastes. Or no complete maps anyway. The wastes are a vast windswept area that, for some reason, civilization was never quite able to take hold in. Though there are occasional patches of fertile land, they are never large enough or close together enough to feed a nation, probably on account of the chilly weather. Another reason why large-scale civilization never arose in the wastes is the presence of, for lack of a better term, Monsters. Bands of Orks roam around, launching raids into the south and elsewhere, Dragons have been known to make homes in the Wastes. Giants live there, rogue, hostile elementals, packs of large, powerful “Wastewolves” roam the lands preying on whatever they can take down. With no organized forces to control these threats, they roam free, and wasteland inhabitants know that they only survive until something tougher decides to kill them.
The name comes from what are seemingly the only signs of civilization there, the presence of ruined structures. Often these are the result of some foolhardy leader from the south trying to claim territory in the wastes. Almost without fail, these ventures follow the same path, the leader arrives and drives out whatever minor foes live in the land they wish to claim. Then they build a fortress and attempt to civilize the land. However, between attacks, the harsh climate, and low morale, the project is eventually abandoned, and the people retreat back to the south, leaving nothing but the structures as memorials to their efforts. Some people say the gods have declared the wastes unconquerable, and work to keep it as it is.
Despite this, some civilization does exist in the wastes. It is a land of solitude outside of any governmental jurisdiction, which attracts some people there. Powerful wizards, seeking independence, occasionally venture to the wastes and construct impressive towers defended by their magic and whichever locals they can hire. Religious sects have been known to build monasteries in the wastes, attempting to achieve the isolation needed to pursue their goals. Criminals, exiles, and deserters fleeing punishment may find refuge there. In fact, the Wastes are dotted with rough towns full of these people, or their descendants. Sometimes a warlord will arise amongst them, gathering an army and leading it down south with the intent of looting and conquest. Invariably, these armies never survive long past the death of the warlord that founded them, though a small number may remain. The Wastes boast plenty of fortresses, built by such warlords during the height of their power, now staffed by a small number of warriors following a successor and waiting for a time when they will conquer again. These bands eventually become depleted, and the fortresses fall apart, becoming just another ruin in the wastes.
Of course, nobody thinks of the wastes without thinking of their final inhabitant, Adventurers. A lot of treasure has been brought into the wastes, either in the sacks of raiding parties, or carried by any of the groups described above, or the equipment of adventuring parties that never returned. Either way, many people are tempted by the potential bounty hidden in the wastes. They come in all shapes and sizes, from farmboys who grabbed their fathers old sword and run north intending to make their fortune, to well-equipped and experienced I.G.M.A sponsored parties with a specific goal in mind. In fact the wastes are for adventurers everything they aren’t for conquerors. Any bard is sure to know countless stories of adventurers who entered the wastes with only the most basic equipment and almost no training, and came out as skilled veterans wielding weapons strong enough to break through castle walls and wearing armor tough enough to withstand a cannonball. Of course, this is likely because while bards could tell the much more common story of the ambitious farmboy who went into the wastes with a rusty spear intended to make his fortune only to get lost and die of exposure in the harsh winds, it’s not nearly as interesting and isn’t likely to get them free drinks.

BRC
2009-02-24, 11:54 PM
No comments on the Ruined Wastes? Well, there isn't much to comment on...Until Now
Rob and Jack and Michael Bay

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w27/bloddyredcommie/RandJ73.png
Now, how do you like THAT. Let's hear some theories, because this is very mysterious... well, not mysterious to me obviously. I know exactly whats going on, but I wonder what You think...

memnarch
2009-02-25, 12:18 AM
Very cool teleport effect. :smallcool:

Deathslayer7
2009-02-25, 12:45 AM
i want to say it's a practice range/test of some sort. :smallcool:

Lyinginbedmon
2009-02-25, 07:20 AM
i want to say it's a practice range/test of some sort. :smallcool:

This to me seems like the most logical course of action.

Drakefall
2009-02-25, 11:56 AM
Aha! It's those dudes in the brown coats and gas masks from earlier with the stick grenades that kinda looked like maces!

Dun dun duuuun?

BRC
2009-02-25, 10:34 PM
Aha! It's those dudes in the brown coats and gas masks from earlier with the stick grenades that kinda looked like maces!

Dun dun duuuun?

Very good guess! Though they arn't stick grenades, they are grenades on the end of ropes (for greater range, they can spin them around then throw them.) and those arn't gas masks (Those arn't invented yet in Etov, though you could probably simulate them with magic, but that would be expensive). These are just full-face helmets to protect against shrapnel, and other thing they may not want hitting their face. Plus it keeps the smoke out of their eyes.
Anyway, Sneak Preview, I'll get part 2 done shortly.
Remember Him?
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w27/bloddyredcommie/RandJ74.png

Woo hoo, comic up. Comments?

memnarch
2009-02-25, 11:54 PM
Say, he looks familiar... :smallcool:

BRC
2009-02-26, 02:33 PM
No more comments? I will hide in a fortress, made out of Walls of Text. Once again, my habit of over thinking things leads to long backgrounds. Anyway, Enjoy.

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w27/bloddyredcommie/Rob%20and%20Jack%20stuff/Amandadrummer.png

This is a textbook situation sir, I have prepared three potential plans, presented in ascending order of Risk vs Reward.
Amanda Drummer was born to poor parents who, unable to support a child, abandoned her in front of the Mists of Mercy Orphanage at a very young age. She stayed there until the age of nine, when the orphanage matron, recognizing her intellect, recommended her for the Benjamin Drummer Officer Potential Test, which she performed very well on. Amanda was then offered, and accepted, a place at the Benjamin Drummer Military Academy, the premier military academy in the Steelwind empire. The founder, General Benjamin Drummer, was an orphan himself, so in addition to training officers appointed the normal way, they also recruit intelligent children from orphanages throughout the empire, and give them a decade-long education, churning out a steady supply of very motivated and competent officers, all of whom, as they were adopted by the academy, take the last name “Drummer”, in the same way they would take on the surname of a family that adopted them. In order to provide these “Drummers” with practical experience, they are never released into the field above the rank of lieutenant, and are almost always assigned as adjutant to an experienced commander who rose up through the ranks. They tend to do things “By the book”, and stick close to regulations. Though there is one regulation they normally ignore, because off the nature of the program, the Steelwind military is full of officers called “Drummer”, and their entire class back at the academy would have had the same last name. Therefore, “Drummers” often go by their first names, so as to avoid confusion.
Amanda graduated at the top of her class at the Academy only a few months ago, and showed great promise, especially in terms of logistics. It was for the latter reason that she was assigned to Marshal Anthony “The Scarred Wolf” Brimsalt, who, though very experienced, was never properly educated, so he has trouble with the logistical side of things. She also showed potential for creating new doctrines, which may have contributed to Brimsalt being assigned to train and develop the 1st imperial grenadiers.

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w27/bloddyredcommie/Rob%20and%20Jack%20stuff/MarshalBrimsalt.png

The Orcs call me “Kah Predek”, which roughly translated means “Shut up and listen to me, I’ve been through this type of thing before”.
Marshal Anthony Brimsalt is the soldier’s soldier. He started out as a grunt halberdier who joined the army to escape some debts he incurred after having his savings cleared out by a con artist, he was promoted through the ranks, eventually reaching the rank of Marshal. He’s bounced around the empire and the world, fighting it’s foes and surviving every engagement. Though due to the wound’s he’s acquired throughout his career he can no longer take the front lines, his men respect his command experience, and he still wears his armor into battle, so as to say “Even though I can’t fight much anymore, I’m ready just in case”. He’s got a gruff, cynical personality that, while his men respect as a result of his long career, his superiors and equals often take to be rudeness. Many blame this rudeness and his impatience to play the political game for his seemingly low rank considering his career. In fact, it’s because the Imperial military, and Brimsalt himself, know that while he is excellent at commanding smaller numbers of troops, he lacks the logistical and skill in coordination that a general needs to command large armies. Putting him at the top of a lengthy chain of command would be a waste of his talents, hence his low rank. Despite this, when he arrives on a battlefield, most generals defer to his advice and expertise when he is present. One of his more famous actions is the Southern Campaign, when he commanded an honor guard for an imperial heir who was traveling in the southern continent. Said heir was visiting an orcish tribe when they came under attack by a force of renegade solamite nomads engaging in a succession war, and seeking loot to help pay their troops. The combined Steelwind/Orcish force repelled the raiders, and the orcish war-elders were so impressed by Brimsalt’s experience, as well as the visual signs his career had left on his body (He had at this point lost a leg, and was covered in a variety of scars). The elders made him an honorary member of the tribe, and gave him the orcish name Kah Predek, which translates to “Scarred Wolf”, referring to how a pack’s alpha is usually the most scarred and experienced member. Those wounded soldiers that he sent back to the empire took this story with them, and by the time he returned from the southern continent, everybody was referring to him as the Scarred Wolf. His most recent assignment was to train, evaluate, and come up with tactics for the 1st Imperial Grenadiers.
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w27/bloddyredcommie/Rob%20and%20Jack%20stuff/1stImperial.png

Alright boys, right into the middle of em, I want to see some shrapnel flying.
During the Scalian Revolt, Kobolds overthrew their draconic masters, largely through the use of rockets. As tales of these terrifying weapons filtered out of the mountains, nearby nations got nervous, as the weapons which had brought down the mighty dragons could easily be turned against humanoid armies for great effect. Prince Alshrin of the Arktalen princedoms was the first to realize the nature of warfare was changing, and so decided to create a new with equivalent weapons. However, the Kobolds weren’t sharing their secrets, and sending spies to get the secret of rocketry was too risky, nobody knew exactly how powerful the Kobold’s weapons were, and espionage might simply provoke them. Instead, he compromised, and created Grenadiers, soldiers who threw bombs in combat. Ironically, the only practical designs for these weapons came out of Scalian foundries, so Prince Alshrin made a deal with the Tarrek family, hiring some of their engineers to train his people in the production of effective grenades. Because they were expensive to equip, Grenadiers were not used very much, but most nations on the northern continent started working on them. The Steelwind Empire is the latest to do so. A problem that plagued previous grenadiers was they, while they were devastating at mid-ranges, archers or riflemen would cut them down, and if they were brought into melee would get cut apart by the enemy. Plus, because of the shrapnel their weapons generated, they were very likely to get injured, considering the cost it took to equip and train them, this was not optimal. The Steelwind’s answer was the coat them in thick leather armor with a full-face helmet and goggles (To keep the smoke out). They also put the grenades on a length of rope, allowing the grenadiers to swing them around then sling them at foes, giving them greater range. Because this is a fairly new field, especially to the west of the Spine Mountains, the Steelwind empire gave the job of training the 1st grenadier company, assessing their effectiveness, and writing up doctrines for their general use to Marshal Anthony Brimsalt and his adjutant Amanda Drummer, hoping that between her education and exposure to the latest tactical theories, and his experience fighting pretty much everything, they would figure out the best way to use these new units. Their Leader, Sergeant Tormaq, wields a Scalian-built “Eathis” model grenade launcher.

BRC
2009-02-26, 10:18 PM
Nothing at all?
Oh yeah, I just realized, as of this post. Rob and Jack is one year, 17 days, and about 9 minutes old. I honestly thought I'd probably get bored with and abandon this comic after a few months, But here we are, a year and then some, with seventy-four comics and very little idea where I'm going with things. Though hopefully, with better art and writing than when I started. So huzzah, I feel like I should do something special, but instead, I made this before I checked the date on the first post.
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w27/bloddyredcommie/Rob%20and%20Jack%20stuff/Scoutrob.png

@v Response to the Wall Of text, or the latest comic, whichever. And I'm considering that, just need to think of who
Rob=Scout
Greg=Sniper
Gnome= Spy
Jack= Heavy (Well, he's a mage, so he's kind of like a heavy)
Oscar= Medic

memnarch
2009-02-26, 10:27 PM
It's a gigantic wall of text; how does one respond to something like that?

Hehe, Scout Rob. You should make the entire team into TF2 classes. :smalltongue:

BRC
2009-02-27, 01:33 PM
It's a gigantic wall of text; how does one respond to something like that?

Hehe, Scout Rob. You should make the entire team into TF2 classes. :smalltongue:
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w27/bloddyredcommie/Rob%20and%20Jack%20stuff/RandJtf2.png

Lyinginbedmon
2009-02-27, 04:27 PM
What? No engineer?

Nice Sniper though :smallbiggrin:

BRC
2009-02-27, 07:46 PM
Here's an engineer for you Lying, and some other guys.
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w27/bloddyredcommie/Rob%20and%20Jack%20stuff/RandJTF.png
No pyro because, well, how would you tell which character he was.

Traker
2009-03-02, 03:04 PM
Awwwwwwwwwwsssssssssssssssssssssoooooooooooommmmmm mmmmeeee

BRC
2009-03-06, 10:52 PM
Hey, Comic. And finished shortly before I go see Watchmen.
Incoming Flashback

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w27/bloddyredcommie/RandJ75.png
Comments?

Also, Vulion Strikes again
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v222/Li_Kenta/ClericDude.jpg

memnarch
2009-03-06, 11:18 PM
Ooo, this should be good.

Drakefall
2009-03-07, 06:43 AM
I can't put my finger on why, but for some reason I have this strange feeling a flashback is coming... I wonder why that could be?:smalltongue:

Oh and Watchmen has some of the greatest cinematography I've seen in a looong time. Seriously, the musical score alone is pure awesome.

BRC
2009-03-09, 07:28 AM
Hey, quick sneakpeak/template test for the upcoming mini-arc

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w27/bloddyredcommie/Sneakpeak.png
Tree's are hard to draw...

Traker
2009-03-09, 11:11 AM
Oooooooooo, they know echother.

BRC
2009-03-11, 09:07 PM
Hey, comic. Comments are appreciated as always mmmm....delicious comments
Toldja So

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w27/bloddyredcommie/RandJ76.png
That Ork/Orc joke is going to get old some day. But not today.

In other news, remember Blayze. Guy used to post in this thread alot, but I think he's going into lurker mode...Anyway, for those of you who didn't know, Blayze is quite a writer, and has been trying to get his story, Estra, webcomiced for quite some time. However, he's had bad luck with artists. Well, I've convinced him to try his hand at Inkscape. He's just starting out, so his art is a little bit rusty, but I have a feeling it will get better, Anyway, check it out, Here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=106750), throw a few comments his way so he knows people are reading. I think it's going to get good.

memnarch
2009-03-11, 09:12 PM
Flashback time!

And I will.

Blayze
2009-03-12, 02:46 AM
Thanks. Yeah, I'm generally a lurker these days. Really need to comment more.

Gotta love the way nothing's safe from satire in this comic -- not even the satire itself. :)

Traker
2009-03-13, 09:36 AM
Ooooooo, tis is geting intresting. And by intresting i mean more intresting.

Deathslayer7
2009-03-15, 03:15 PM
i wonder how he saved his life.

Drakefall
2009-03-16, 01:59 AM
i wonder how he saved his life.

By the creative and extraordinary use of yoghurt perhaps? Or you know... blowing stuff up:smalltongue:

BRC
2009-03-17, 01:57 AM
There is some irony that I made this comic, which features cold weather, on the first day of my spring break.
Obey the Red Sign!

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w27/bloddyredcommie/RandJ77.png
What should Brimsalt and Grathnar have done? Please Vote on Both.
Brimsalt
1B: Go to the Watchtower.
2B: Go to the Walls.
3B: Go to the Ground Level.
Grathnar
1G: Go to the Watchtower
2G: Go to the Walls
3G: Go to the Ground Level.

Lyinginbedmon
2009-03-17, 05:02 AM
Brimsalt to ground level
Grathnar to walls

memnarch
2009-03-17, 06:47 AM
Same as him.

Drakefall
2009-03-17, 12:12 PM
Brimsalt and Grathnar to the walls to get a commanding position/good aim on the situation respectively!

Lyinginbedmon
2009-03-17, 12:23 PM
Brimsalt and Grathnar to the walls to get a commanding position/good aim on the situation respectively!

Except that Brimsalt is a melee fighter, he'll need to be on ground level to actually attack.

My idea is that Brimsalt attacks on the ground to take down the archers at least, while Grathnar uses the better vantage point from the walls for spell-based support to watch his back.

Though I suppose he can give better commands to other troops from the walls...

BRC
2009-03-20, 01:26 PM
Current Voting Total
Brimsalt
2 for ground, one for walls
Grathnar
3 for walls.
Don't forget about the tower, and the elves may do more than just shoot arrows at the outpost. I'm not saying they WILL, but I'm not saying they won't...

Anyway, learned I didn't get into Macalaster, so I'm in a state of mild depression. Ah well. Thats what cookies are for.

Traker
2009-03-20, 01:57 PM
Grownd for the sword guy (I forgot his name) Wall for Ganther (thats his name right)

memnarch
2009-03-20, 03:06 PM
Why on Earth would a cookie help with depression?
I mean, it's just a block of text!
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/34/HTTP-Cookie-Google.png

:smallwink:

Blayze
2009-03-20, 04:11 PM
Cookie Monster always seems happy. Then again, I don't think he's got any teeth to lose...

I think everyone's missing the fundamental awesomeness of this current situation -- this is a flashback, and we know that the two important characters in said flashback SURVIVE.

Therefore, we have them do damn near anything and we're guaranteed their survival unless BRC pulls something fiendishly devious on us involving time travel and/or alternate realities or something.

Or possibly a Sands of Time-styled "No, that didn't happen. Let me start over..."

Brimsalt. Grathnar. CHARGE!

BRC
2009-03-20, 04:20 PM
Cookie Monster always seems happy. Then again, I don't think he's got any teeth to lose...

I think everyone's missing the fundamental awesomeness of this current situation -- this is a flashback, and we know that the two important characters in said flashback SURVIVE.

Therefore, we have them do damn near anything and we're guaranteed their survival unless BRC pulls something fiendishly devious on us involving time travel and/or alternate realities or something.

Or possibly a Sands of Time-styled "No, that didn't happen. Let me start over..."

Brimsalt. Grathnar. CHARGE!

True, we know that both Brimsalt and Grathnar survive.But your choices could mean the difference between Brimsalt and Grathnar being captured by elves and ransomed back to the Empire, or Brimsalt and Grathnar leading the garrison at outpost 137 in an epic battle that thwarts the elves, saves the day, and brings up enough good memories for Brimsalt that he not only spares Jack but leads his own forces into the city to help our friends in the mansion.

Or maybe, we will learn the TRUE reason Brimsalt is wearing a standard infantry helmet instead of a cold-weather issued Big Fuzzy Hat.

Zenos
2009-03-20, 04:32 PM
I vote for Grath to go to the tower to get good lines of sight, whilst commander goes to the walls to command his men and help against eventual elves scaling the walls.

EDIT: Or maybe both to the walls. Go with the above for a vote.

BRC
2009-03-22, 05:31 PM
Current Votes
Brimsalt
4 for ground, 2 for walls
Grathnar
4 for walls, 1 for ground, 1 for tower.

I may do the comic tonight, or I may not. It depends

BRC
2009-03-24, 12:38 AM
Voting Closed.

I started on the comic, made two panels, and realized I had absolutally no idea what I wanted to happen. Hopefully, inspiration will strike tommorow.

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w27/bloddyredcommie/RandJ78pre.png

Drakefall
2009-03-24, 02:50 AM
One mook is paler than the other mooks. Foreign spy or long time vet of the sunless freeze land? You decide!:smalleek:

BRC
2009-03-24, 11:39 PM
Hey, remember that Inspiration I was looking for. I'd dropped it between the couch cushions...Yeah..these intro things are hard... Maybe I Should start ripping off the way Lying does them for Pop Zero... Anyway
The Fifteenth Stratagem

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w27/bloddyredcommie/RandJ78.png
Comments? And a special somthing to whomever figures out what the title is referencing, and how it applies to the comic.

memnarch
2009-03-25, 01:08 AM
Referencing the game "Go"; applied to this comic in luring the huge monster troll/giant/whatever somewhere to kill it easier.

Also going to guess that's where brimsalt loses his limbs.