PDA

View Full Version : New to this whole forum but, quirks?

Jae
2008-02-10, 01:21 AM
Still figuring out how this board works. Thus, it's probably lame to be on it at this time when I was so close to going to the movies for the second time today! haha whatevskis. Back to topic.

Quirks, what are yours? Just, completely and utterly embarassing little things you can't control or hardly notice. I have an unreasonable amount of them.

-I squeal whenever I've done something wrong. Particularly in sports or video games. It is ridiculously high pitched and irritating.
-I will close or repeatedly blink my left eye if I'm nervous or trying to focus. My friends like to point it out when I'm speaking publicly.
-I sometimes make faces when I think. Especially if it's about something embarassing I did. :smalleek: Likewise, I'll smile if I'm thinking about somebody I'm interested in.
-Talk to myself. Always. I ever so often argue with myself, even in front of people. But I dont realize I'm doing so

etcetcetc. I could go on forever but I'm thinking I'll stop at the risk of seeming extremely self-obsessed. You go.

The Extinguisher
2008-02-10, 01:33 AM
I have an annoying head tic. It's really annoying. I also radiate awesome. Which isn't as cool as you might think. Oddly enough, awesome is alot like Radium.

:smalltongue:

Icewalker
2008-02-10, 01:39 AM
Your font? That is quite small and hard to read...:smallsigh:

Hrm...quirks...

Jae
2008-02-10, 01:48 AM
Right. I have a thing for smaller. In no way is that applicable outside of font size haha. :smallbiggrin: fixed??

Ego Slayer
2008-02-10, 01:50 AM
^: Yay. =P

The only thing I can really think of is that I so often am playing with a bit of my hair. I don't even realize I'm doing it sometimes. It bothers me if I'm going it and then need both my hands for something else or I'm trying to do said task and play with a bit of hair at the same time 'cause I'm grabbing some when I have a free hand for a moment and then having to drop it to use said hand... rinse and repeat. :smalltongue: Or want to put it against my lips. Iono... hair is fun and it feels nice.

I feel weird. ><;

*absentmindedly twists a bit of hair around her fingers*

Jae
2008-02-10, 01:56 AM
haha ohh gosh. I used to literally CHEW my hair when I was younger. I still chew on the most random crap. (she says with headphone cords in her mouth.)

NO IDEA WHY

Ego Slayer
2008-02-10, 02:01 AM
haha ohh gosh. I used to literally CHEW my hair when I was younger. I still chew on the most random crap. (she says with headphone cords in her mouth.)

NO IDEA WHY
Hahah! I can't do that with the ones I have on now, but when I'm using a different computer (my brother's), I do that. Headphones on, a little loop of the cord between my teeth, my brother came in, sat down by me and said "don't do that please"... "do what?... oh, hehe... right." >_> *drops cord* :smallbiggrin:

Solo
2008-02-10, 02:04 AM
I am severely allergic to stupidity. When I come into contact with it, I fly into a berserk rage fueled by sarcasm and vitriol.

Jae
2008-02-10, 02:07 AM
Haha oh my family used to get on my about it all the time before I had my own computer. But I forget so quickly! So I'm doing it every five minutes anyways and eventually everybody around me gives up :smallamused:

Used to bug an ex of mine so much. He'd actually seem furious about it. "YOU DONT KNOW WHERE THATS BEEN AT ALLLLLL!" Germaphobe.

Ego Slayer
2008-02-10, 02:09 AM
*drops hair, types* >_<;;

Used to bug an ex of mine so much. He'd actually seem furious about it. "YOU DONT KNOW WHERE THATS BEEN AT ALLLLLL!" Germaphobe.
"IT'S BEEN IN MY MOUTH, THAT'S WHERE!" :smalltongue:

Jae
2008-02-10, 02:11 AM
Haha I really used to say some variation of that. More along the lines of "Being that it IS mine, it's just been SITTING HERE THIS ENTIRE TIME"

haha. He'd say it like I would pick up something off the sidewalk and just go right along and stick it in my mouth. :smallyuk:

Thanatos 51-50
2008-02-10, 02:13 AM
I consitantly and constantly pop both ym knuckles and my neck.
Soemtimes my back, too.

It irks people. Especially the neck bit. Folks literally cringe.

Gaelbert
2008-02-10, 02:13 AM
-I squeal whenever I've done something wrong. Particularly in sports or video games. It is ridiculously high pitched and irritating.

Hehe...
I have a habit of not being able to stand up straight. I'm not sure if it's normal or not. And I have to do something with my arms when I'm standing. I can't just leave them by my sides once I remember them.

Jae
2008-02-10, 02:16 AM
Haha by the way you have to give me credit when I may have just slightly let the other team score...I AT LEAST did not squeak :smalleek:

Not to seem terribly observant but I noticed that the other day. You just stand ORIGINALLY

Ego Slayer
2008-02-10, 02:16 AM
I consitantly and constantly pop both ym knuckles and my neck.
Oooh, annoying. :smalltongue:

haha. He'd say it like I would pick up something off the sidewalk and just go right along and stick it in my mouth. :smallyuk:
... My brother did that once, many years ago. Was with him and a friend of mine, sidewalk... lone piece of popcorn laying there... I need not say anything more. xD

Jae
2008-02-10, 02:19 AM
Oh, and two of my brothers do the same with the cracking and such. So I'm mostly used to it but it used to give me CHILLS.

Jae
2008-02-10, 02:21 AM
AH thats nothing haha. My youngest brother once picked up a ciggarette in his mouth because "he saw another person do it!" He was three at the time I believe haha.

Thanatos 51-50
2008-02-10, 02:27 AM
Psst... new item! Use the EDIT button instead of posting twice in a row! Yay for eductating forum newbies!

Jae
2008-02-10, 02:30 AM
Mmm of course. Will do.

Jagg
2008-02-10, 02:30 AM

The only thing I can really think of is that I so often am playing with a bit of my hair. I don't even realize I'm doing it sometimes. It bothers me if I'm going it and then need both my hands for something else or I'm trying to do said task and play with a bit of hair at the same time 'cause I'm grabbing some when I have a free hand for a moment and then having to drop it to use said hand... rinse and repeat. :smalltongue: Or want to put it against my lips. Iono... hair is fun and it feels nice.

I feel weird. ><;

MY daughter did that. Until she saw one of her friends get this cute litle pixie bob haircut and being the fashion slave she is, cut her hair short and doesn't do it anymore.

I crack my knuckles, neck, elbows, knees, back, sterum, ankles, wrists shoulders. Mostly knuckles. But if someone fliches when I crack my knuckles I'll do the rest and watch them squirm. My PA used to freak out when I did it without thinking at work.

Meh that's about it.

JAGG

Thanatos 51-50
2008-02-10, 02:39 AM
MY daughter did that. Until she saw one of her friends get this cute litle pixie bob haircut and being the fashion slave she is, cut her hair short and doesn't do it anymore.

I crack my knuckles, neck, elbows, knees, back, sterum, ankles, wrists shoulders. Mostly knuckles. But if someone fliches when I crack my knuckles I'll do the rest and watch them squirm. My PA used to freak out when I did it without thinking at work.

Meh that's about it.

JAGG

The only ones I do on a regular basis are the Knuckles and Neck, Back is slightly less common, but I do all of those (Except Sternum - how do you manage THAT?). Elbows always bother me, becasue its hard to get them to pop.

H. Zee
2008-02-10, 02:54 AM
When I get really excited or enthusiastic about something, I lift up my hands to just in front of my face and wave them around like a madman. It looks like I'm trying to clap, but my hands stop just short of hitting eachother. I have no idea why I do it - it's a reflex action - but it can be really embarrassing if I do it at the wrong time.

Also, I like to crack my knuckles, particularly if it makes other people squirm. Hee hee, I've just realised that's borderline sadistic.

The Orange Zergling
2008-02-10, 03:17 AM
I talk to myself. Sometimes I talk back. Sometimes I even have two-sided Gollum-esque conversations with myself for several minutes without realizing it.

I stutter rather badly, I also have a tendency to say "Um" a lot.

Castaras
2008-02-10, 03:37 AM
I talk to myself loads. Nice little conversationalist, is Cassie. Love talking to her.

Often, I'll just be sitting around doing nothing, and I'll start thinking. When I'm thinking, I don't often come back to the real world until I hear my name. <.< >.> I likes my little imaginary world.... Is warm and fuzzy there...

Dallas-Dakota
2008-02-10, 03:44 AM
I talk to myself,I converse with myself, I discuss with my self, I argue with my self, hell, I even fight with myself sometimes!And I still keep losing*grumble grumble*

Anyway, so you're new....
ORGAN HARVESTING!
*pulls out brains and eyeballs*

Lyesmith
2008-02-10, 05:45 AM
Oh! Chewing things is a favourite of mine, i'll also tend to subcionsiously lip-synch myself with anything i'm listening to. which is awkward, as i can no longer get away wth listening to music in Science lessons :smallsigh:

Kaelaroth
2008-02-10, 05:50 AM
When facing a problem, I freeze up quickly, and mentally divide myself into two or three different psyches to examine the problem.

I hear music in my head... and often day-dream for hours on end. :smallsmile:

Felixaar
2008-02-10, 07:37 AM
I talk to myself alot. Not necessarily outloud, but as if theres two people in my brain (and there is, but they're both me. It'd take a while to explain and no one would believe me, so we'll just leave it there). I even make bets with myself - these bets seem to be some sort of future prediction/affection gambit, since the first guy always loses. Thats cause the second guy... well, thats getting into the deep stuff (not to mention im pretty sure religion is unallowed here).

I've got a lot of quirks that make up the person I am. Sort of like an overdeveloped character, I do all these strange things that make people laugh outloud and go "(Insert name here), you're so weird!" and then I'll say "And handsome," and madness ensues. Some of these things include dancing/whistling when I think people cant see/hear me (or often when I think they can), and these dances/tunes are usually ones made up by me rather than rehearsed.

Also I have this sort of very comedic-anti-climatic inability to walk properly when ever im trying to walk with any real direction - almost any time I am like "I hate this job! I quit!" and march off, or walk in a straight line at anything resembling a normal speed for any reason, Ill slip over, trip over, or just mess up my footing and end up veering to the side. I just hope the cops never pull me up.

Fin
2008-02-10, 07:54 AM
I have a habit of going off on a tangent in my head getting to a certain point and then carrying on this internal monolgue with whoever i am with. Cue very puzzled looks followed by the phrase, 'how the hell did you get to that!?'

Also if something stresses me out my voice gets very high pitched!

Mc. Lovin'
2008-02-10, 08:25 AM

NO IDEA WHY

Yeah I used to do that, but then once I actually broke my headphones because of it so I try not to anymore ...

TRM
2008-02-10, 10:44 AM

I feel weird. ><;

My girlfriend from a couple years back had a sister that would twist clumps of hair around her fingers and pull them out before leaving them in little piles all over the house. It was disgusting.

I am severely allergic to stupidity. When I come into contact with it, I fly into a berserk rage fueled by sarcasm and vitriol.

Heh. I have the same problem. Though (usually) I attempt to keep it inside so as to not offend people. Of course, the same thing happens when I come into contact with mushrooms...

I am almost incapable of consciously offending anyone. I just won't do it. Dunno why. :smallannoyed:

Another quirk also involves interacting with people. I hate talking to people on the street or interrupting them if they're blocking the sidewalk and not paying attention to me when I want to pass.
I often go so far as to cross to the other side to avoid having to say "Good morning." It's even worse with people I know. I will occasionally plan out my route to avoid passing the dwelling of one of my friends so that I won't risk having to talk to them unless I want to.
Needless to say, it's a habit I'm trying to break. (Funny story: I once walked 15 blocks out of my way on snowy roads to avoid passing my uncle's house while he was outside with his children. I'm really not sure why, I must have really not wanted to employ my few social skills.)

Shraik
2008-02-10, 10:48 AM
I can't be touched on the sides. Its embarassing and people tend to take control of it. I convulse, jump, and occasionally yell. I'm gonna regret it alot at some point, I know it.

Premsyl
2008-02-10, 12:03 PM
I'm a mumbler, and I tend to trail off without finishing my sentences. It's as if I expect people to know what I'm talking about. "After that we'll do the thing with the yeah...." I absently tug on my sideburns. Not the quirkiest stuff. Maybe a quirk I have is not realizing the other quirks I exhibit.

SurlySeraph
2008-02-10, 12:14 PM
Sometimes I talk to myself, usually when I'm alone, trying to figure stuff out. Internal arguments and whatnot.

I mutter song lyrics to myself when I have a song stuck in my head, sometimes. Usually when I'm walking down the street, because I have better self-control when I'm around people I actually know. I don't actually sing, and I don't really say them in tune; I just sort of say them quietly. Given that I tend to have metal songs stuck in my head, I must sound pretty disturbing to anyone paying attention.

I mutter, out of mixed anger, exhaustion, resentment, and paranoia.

When I'm confused or lost in thought, I tend to walk in one direction for a while, then suddenly turn around, pause for a while, then turn back, then turn around again a while later, go back, etc. I'm sure it confuses passersby. It confuses me, anyway.

I crack many of my joints. Knuckles, neck, toes, knees, wrists, shoulders, etc. It keeps me flexible. Speaking of which

@Jagg: How the hell do you crack your sternum? It... it doesn't move!

Shraik
2008-02-10, 12:47 PM
When I am angry, I go home and start yelling at someone who isn't there

Parvum
2008-02-10, 01:25 PM
Truly, there is nothing that vents flesh-things quite so much as a thread dedicated to their various personal points of interest. I think that without these, half the population of the planet would explode.

When I'm not tired, half of my speech is... foreign, wordlike grunts. Imagine the ignorant american stereotype trying to speak gaelic because they 'heard some in a movie once'.

I KILL ANYTHING THAT WAS NEVER ALIVE. None of my clothing/equipment has ever bore a lifespan past 10 months, with a more common average of five to six.

In a related matter, I have decided to keep one of my more decrepit subjects and create a religion around it. I keep Hoboshoe in my locker, but his twin was taken by a friend as a souvenir.

Most of the people I know maintain that I am either an alien, I do not exist, or both. No clue why. Silly humans.

I forced a twitch in several situations (disturbed, angry, intrigued, etc) to the point where it has somehow become an actual twitch. I love it.

As for talking to mayself... I can't say I am an avid self communicator. I can only coax engaging discussions with either a mirror, a closed door, or noone present within 100 meters. When I can, I do find them interesting.

Mauve Shirt
2008-02-10, 01:27 PM
I play phantom piano. Usually when bored in class. In place of tapping fingers.

SoD
2008-02-10, 02:04 PM
I suffer from pianists fingers...always tapping away at a song on whatever is avaliable, tabletop, my legs, a sleeping friends stomach...occasionally me and a friend do duets.

de-trick
2008-02-10, 02:11 PM
When ever I laugh I almost suffocate my self, Then the joke goes longer cause now everyones laughing at me as my face goes blue

When I play video games I forget to blink, because I think something will happen in that millisecond when my eyes are closed. This leads to my eyes watering, making me look like I'm crying.

Also when I play video games I move when I play if the character goes left I go left

Darius Midnite
2008-02-10, 02:31 PM
Whenever I drink a liquid that is too hot it is spat out like a scolding hot mist regardless of where I am. It has caused some funny moments trough the course of time, painful though they may be...

Aereshaa_the_2nd
2008-02-10, 03:35 PM
Oh, you do NOT want to go there. But, too late.

I talk to myself, and also, sometimes, have three or even four me's at once. Whenever people ask me who i'm talking to, I mumble, 'handless phone'. (I have long enough hair that this is plausible.)

I sometimes talk in latin, a few languages that I invented, or gibberish. Then I can mutter, 'FiHj LAfki tiGHerA' or, 'Latika naskuve' or 'wstflglerstfat'

Zombie pixe
2008-02-10, 03:39 PM
heh, funny :smallsmile:

... sorry, what planet is this?

Jae
2008-02-10, 03:40 PM
I've got to say, it's pretty interesting that 90% of people answering this claim to either have trouble communicating with other people and/or talk to themselves.

I am almost incapable of consciously offending anyone. I just won't do it. Dunno why.

Ah me too. And, I even went through a period of years where I was a very vicious person :smallfurious: But then I grew a little older and now I'm the other extreme. Example, there's this city bus driver I HATE because she causes me to be late every time I ride her bus..and every time I do ride I tell myself I will NOT say thank you when I leave because I'm very much NOT thankful. But I've yet to be able to not say it.
And if I ever say anything even remotely out of spite (joking or not) I feel the need to apologize.

Another quirk also involves interacting with people. I hate talking to people on the street or interrupting them if they're blocking the sidewalk and not paying attention to me when I want to pass

Used to do this.. I'm not so bad anymore. I can't figure out if it's because I'm any better at socializing (which I'm not entirely horrid at, to begin with) or I've gotten better at LOOKING like I don't want to talk so people leave me alone :smallwink:

Pyro
2008-02-10, 06:08 PM
Hmmmm, sometimes I sleep with my feet at the headboard. I don't know really know why though. Also I don't do hugs except with family members, which I don't think is that odd, but for some reason my friends do.

Doc Leech
2008-02-11, 11:49 AM
this used to be a lot worse when i was a young'un, but i've still got a bit of some strange touching problem going on. i have issues when i, for example, run my hand down some drywall. if it's fingertips-on-wall, i get the tactile sensation that i'm ripping against the natural grain of the wall with my nails. if it's smooth, like running down the drywall with the back of my hand instead of finger nails, or if the wall is glass instead of drywall, no problem. to me, it's as if that bit of wall is in pain if allowed to remain that way, like a cat with all it's fur pointing the wrong way. also, i won't be able to sleep at night until i find that particular patch of wall and 'smooth it down' to it's original texture. course, this becomes a problem when i end the day 400 miles away from said dry wall, violin string, eraser, burlap sack, cat, et cetera.

and now i feel nice and insane. huzzah!

Prophaniti
2008-02-11, 12:13 PM
I'm sure I have a lot of really annoying quirks (just ask my wife) but I only have one that really bothers me, personally.

I forget the correct term for it, but it's like dyslexia only when I talk. I'll be telling someone a story or a joke, then I'll be telling someone a story or joke, then I'll repeat part of it. (see? Like that! Only happens when I'm talking, though.) Or, I'll repeat a word, especially when comparing A to B, I'll say "Well, A's got this going for it... But then again A's got this other thing." Meaning B the second time, but saying A again. Often, I won't even realize I've done it until someone points it out to me. Extremely annoying.

AmberVael
2008-02-11, 01:19 PM
Lets see if I can list some quirks that aren't "I talk to myself."

I am a very, very bouncy person. I do not walk normally. I will hop on one foot, skid, skip, jog, or do mostly anything but walk. I suppress this in public.
...mostly.
When I can hear some kind of sound that has rhythm to it (music included) and I AM walking normally, my pace will alter to be in time with it. Darn marching band habits.

I don't hum songs that I'm listening to. Instead, I will make up a harmony and hum that in time with the song. It's much prettier and more interesting, though since I'm wearing headphones most of the time it probably sounds really weird.
When I have no music, I will tap out the rhythm to a song on any surface I have available.

I obsessively read things. Even if something is terrible or bland, if it is put in front of me, I will read it. I'm not kidding- I read nutrition labels just because they're there. Bad webcomics too.
If something is good, or moderately good, it will be reread repeatedly until it is memorized.

If someone has a saying or phrase that they like using, and I am around them long enough, I will inevitably carry it on and use it even after they stop.

That's about all I can think of at the moment. The first one is the most quirky, really.

H. Zee
2008-02-11, 01:45 PM
I obsessively read things. Even if something is terrible or bland, if it is put in front of me, I will read it. I'm not kidding- I read nutrition labels just because they're there. Bad webcomics too.
If something is good, or moderately good, it will be reread repeatedly until it is memorized.

Ooooh yeah, been there. I do that too. It's amazing what you can learn about food just by reading the nutrition labels - I once realised that a huge bar of chocolate my friend was eating contained over half their recommended daily intake of calories. :smalleek:

AmberVael
2008-02-11, 01:46 PM
Ooooh yeah, been there. I do that too. It's amazing what you can learn about food just by reading the nutrition labels - I once realised that a huge bar of chocolate my friend was eating contained over half their recommended daily intake of calories. :smalleek:

I think the worst one I found was that a single Little Debbie fudge brownie contained more calories than a personal sized pizza I had.

Krade
2008-02-11, 02:31 PM
Let's see...

I don't talk to myself but I do often repeat what I just said in my head. Or at least I think I'm just repeating in my head, my brother's wife tells me that there is indeed lip movement and barely audible voice. My brother does it too, but he's much worse about it. I used to be worse but I supressed it to the point where I don't notice I'm actually repeating myself out loud.

Then when I'm walking someplace alone at night I will usually sing to myself. Volume dependant on how close anyone else is. It is always one of two songs: "The Grave" by Don McLean or "Stopping by the Woods on a Snowy Evening," a Robert Frost poem made into a song. It is also referenced in movies rather often, the most recent of which was Deathproof. It was the poem a guy had to recite to "Butterfly" along with a drink to get a lap dance.

There's probably more, but that's all I got right now.