PDA

View Full Version : I miss the 3.0 nymph...

Tortoise262
2008-02-10, 02:49 AM
She was much prettier than the one in the 3.5 Monster Manual. Am I right?

Serpent
2008-02-10, 02:59 AM
Sure, why not.

Crow
2008-02-10, 03:01 AM
Let's see some pics for comparison.

LCR
2008-02-10, 03:46 AM
Let's see some pics for comparison.

That's so typically male.

Crow
2008-02-10, 03:49 AM
Well that's reassuring =)

I don't remember what the 3.0 nymph looks like. The 3.5 one isn't particularly attractive...or rather it is...in a body-snatcher sort of way. She has insect eyes or something.

Dhavaer
2008-02-10, 04:00 AM
The 3.0 nymph was a blonde with a big bust and a relatively (compared to the 3.5 nymph) modest outfit. I prefer the 3.5 nymph; she's attractively inhuman.

bluish_wolf
2008-02-10, 04:11 AM
This time I'll avoid making the obvious reference to a certain 1955
novel. I'll just post a picture of the monster in question.
http://img184.imageshack.us/my.php?image=uglynymphcl8.jpg

She should probably loose some weight, especially in the chest area.

VanBuren
2008-02-10, 04:16 AM

She should probably gain some weight, especially in the chest area.

Fixed.

"...loose some clothing..." would also have been accepted.

:smalltongue:

bluish_wolf
2008-02-10, 04:17 AM
Apparently Van Buren likes fat chicks.

VanBuren
2008-02-10, 04:18 AM
Apparently Van Buren likes fat chicks.

I'm not really seeing "fat" in that picture. Busty yes, but not fat.

LibraryOgre
2008-02-10, 04:19 AM

She should probably loose some weight, especially in the chest area.

Yeah, that picture always looked like she was about to do a crescent kick and take some poor schmuck's head off.

bluish_wolf
2008-02-10, 04:20 AM
She looks like she has an ass on her chest.

ShadowSiege
2008-02-10, 04:23 AM
I prefer the 3.5 nymph myself after having seen the 3.0 for the first time.

AslanCross
2008-02-10, 04:28 AM
Why does she somehow remind me of the Fifty-Foot Woman? o_O; (And I like the 3.5 one more, not because of her clothing---or lack of it.) She seems much more fey-like.

Cubey
2008-02-10, 04:38 AM
She was much prettier than the one in the 3.5 Monster Manual. Am I right?

I disagree. The 3.5 edition one is much more beautiful in my opinion. That is, if the d20srd.org picture is the one from MM.

Unearthly, feyish >>>> blonde bimbo.

AslanCross
2008-02-10, 04:41 AM
I disagree. The 3.5 edition one is much more beautiful in my opinion. That is, if the d20srd.org picture is the one from MM.

Unearthly, feyish >>>> blonde bimbo.

Yep, that's the 3.5MM illustration. d20srd uses the official art.

bluish_wolf
2008-02-10, 04:45 AM
http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/MM35_gallery/MM35_PG198.jpg

That one, right?

Better, I suppose, but her face looks odd.

Frosty
2008-02-10, 04:47 AM
I like the one in the 3.5 MM better. The 3.0 one looks like a human. Fey should not look that much like a human

Spiryt
2008-02-10, 04:58 AM
I like the one in the 3.5 MM better. The 3.0 one looks like a human. Fey should not look that much like a human

I agree. But anyway Neverwinter nights nymphs were better.

Yami
2008-02-10, 05:03 AM
Yeah... because there isn't a presedent for fey looking human. Changlings?

kamikasei
2008-02-10, 05:04 AM
Yeah, gotta weigh in in favour of 3.5. The 3.0 nymph looks like a good-looking human. The 3.5 nymph looks unearthly.

bluish_wolf
2008-02-10, 05:06 AM
Neverwinter Nights is just ugly in general. I suppose the drawn picture that came up when you right clicked wasn't bad, though.

Spiryt
2008-02-10, 05:10 AM
Neverwinter Nights is just ugly in general. I suppose the drawn picture that came up when you right clicked wasn't bad, though.

That's what I'm talking about . Game models sucked, that's right

Aquillion
2008-02-10, 05:25 AM
I don't like either of them. The 3.0 one looks too human in all the wrong ways... she has human imperfections, especially in the shape of her jaw, which a nymph really shouldn't. She's a generically attractive trailer-trash dancer, not an unearthly beauty.

But the 3.5 one is even worse. Those facial features are never going to be considered beautiful by most human standards, whether unearthly or otherwise. You can see the veins under her skin, and not in a good way. She has dark circles under her eyes. She looks anorexic, too... she looks like a drawn-out meth addict who has had botched cosmetic surgery in an attempt to look more elfish. She looks 'inhuman' in a Geigeresque alien way, not in an unearthly fey way. She falls directly into the uncanny valley. She is a work of Body Horror (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Body_horror). Nymphs are supposed to be unearthly embodiments of beauty, not just plain unearthly... that pic might be good for some other, horror-oriented fey (I strongly suspect it was originally intended for something along the lines of a siren, which have generally been presented as more horror-eque), but it doesn't fit a nymph at all.

Mordokai
2008-02-10, 05:33 AM
I'll agree that 3.5 version could do with a prettier face. However, seeing the 3.0 for the first time I still prefer 3.5 to 3.0. And I also agree with AslanCross, the 3.0 looks like that 50 foot woman from a movie I remember seeing waaaay back.

Tengu
2008-02-10, 05:36 AM
I agree with Aquillion - neither of them looks that good.

Seiken Densetsu has the cutest fey anyway:
http://fantasyanime.com/mana/images/sd3art-spirits03.jpg

bluish_wolf
2008-02-10, 05:40 AM
That series was called "Secret of Mana," stateside, FYI.

Tengu
2008-02-10, 05:45 AM
Secret of Mana is Seiken Densetsu 2. The Undine I posted comes from Seiken Densetsu 3, which doesn't have a subtitle as far as I know.

bluish_wolf
2008-02-10, 05:48 AM
Secret of Mana is Seiken Densetsu 2. The Undine I posted comes from Seiken Densetsu 3, which doesn't have a subtitle as far as I know.

Which is (unoffically) called Secret of Mana 2. Seiken Densetsu 1 is called Final Fantasy Adventure, for some reason.

Tengu
2008-02-10, 05:50 AM
I know that I liked SD3 more than 2. Though it was because I instinctively chose the more sympathetic characters as team members (Hawk, Kevin and Lise). I couldn't bare to finish this game when I started again with Duran as the main character.

bluish_wolf
2008-02-10, 05:56 AM
I missed the charge-up system from SD2.

Tengu
2008-02-10, 05:58 AM
Well, that one thing is what I liked in SD2 more - it brought more variety to the combat.

Quirinus_Obsidian
2008-02-10, 09:58 AM
So anyway, back to Fey....

The Sprite, Grig, and Nixie here are just scary... Aren't they supposed to be all kawaii?
http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/MM35_gallery/MM35_PG235.jpg

Metal Head
2008-02-10, 10:11 AM
Congratulations. Now, do you have something else to say, or can I just start ignoring this thread?

Admiral Squish
2008-02-10, 12:45 PM
3.5 nymph has RED HAIR. This means she wins by default. Plus, her sheer cloth-thing is practically hanging off her nipple, which makes every adolescent D&D boy's imaginary girlfriend.

LibraryOgre
2008-02-10, 01:28 PM

The Sprite, Grig, and Nixie here are just scary... Aren't they supposed to be all kawaii?

Why do you think spirits of nature would be pretty?

Chronos
2008-02-10, 01:51 PM
Quoth Cubey:
Unearthly, feyish >>>> blonde bimbo.My sentiments exactly. Of the two, I much prefer the 3.5 version.

The 3.0 Dryad blows them both out of the water, though. I was really disappointed when I saw the new dryad picture.

kjones
2008-02-10, 03:29 PM
Quoth Cubey:My sentiments exactly. Of the two, I much prefer the 3.5 version.

The 3.0 Dryad blows them both out of the water, though. I was really disappointed when I saw the new dryad picture.

QFT. The 3.0 dryad is even prettier than the nymph, IMHO... though this could just be my thing for freckles.

The 3.5 dryad is just scary-looking. I know, I know, why should tree spirits conform to human standards of beauty... because it's traditional, dammit! These things go way back.

Zenos
2008-02-10, 03:37 PM
Quoth Cubey:My sentiments exactly. Of the two, I much prefer the 3.5 version.

Any pictures, please?

Lizardfolk Lich
2008-02-10, 03:45 PM

What is a kawaii?

Solo
2008-02-10, 03:47 PM

The scientific process demands evidence.

For science!

kamikasei
2008-02-10, 04:02 PM

Well now, hang on a minute. The topic of the thread is that one particular picture was better-looking, why shouldn't we ask to see the before and after for comparison?

Corolinth
2008-02-10, 04:06 PM
The nymph and dryad in D&D are rooted in the cliche of nature spirits who lure farmers and woodsmen away from their homes, never to be seen again. The "myth" of nymphs and dryads is much like sirens. A beautiful woman lulls a man into a sense of complacency, and he disappears. What actually happens to him is unknown, merely that he's never seen again.

By that measure, the 3.0 artwork is far more appropriate than the 3.5 artwork. The otherworldly beauty is not meant to imply that they look inhuman, but rather that they are something more than human. The "fey" look just means they have various elf characteristics (elves are fey creatures in Earth mythologies). The artist for the 3.5 artwork drew the fey creatures to look bizarre and alien, like monsters, rather than the curious elf-like creatures they've traditionally been.

She looks like she has an ass on her chest.Actually, she just looks like she has breast implants.

AslanCross
2008-02-10, 04:32 PM
What is a kawaii?

"Kawaii" is a Japanese word that means "cute." It's often taken to meant "cute in a sugary and marshmallow-y sort of way."

Lemur
2008-02-10, 04:52 PM
I like the 1st/2nd ed. nymph. Not for the picture, but because of how her "death by smexy" worked. In 3.X, she just chooses to activate it. In previous editions, it automatically worked, but only if she was naked. A much better way to die, in my estimation.

There was also a funny part in 2nd edition where a woman could raise her charisma by bathing in a nymph's pool, and never have it lower back down to normal as long as she never bathed again.

kamikasei
2008-02-10, 04:59 PM
There was also a funny part in 2nd edition where a woman could raise her charisma by bathing in a nymph's pool, and never have it lower back down to normal as long as she never bathed again.

...One imagines that other penalties would, y'know, accrue.

Dervag
2008-02-10, 05:40 PM
I like the one in the 3.5 MM better. The 3.0 one looks like a human. Fey should not look that much like a humanOriginally, nymphs actually come from Greek mythology and looked just as human as the Greek gods.

Of course, it seems like practically every human culture has traditions of some kind of female water or nature spirit that men approach at their peril (mermaids, dryads, etc.). So the Greek nymph may not be the only legitimate basis for the creature stats.

That said, nymphs are supposed to be preternaturally beautiful. That means that more or less everyone who looks as an accurate depiction of one would say "yes, she's beautiful, or at least pretty, even if she isn't the type of beautiful or pretty that I consider to be most beautiful or most pretty." Judging by the comments I'm seeing here, I'm not sure either of the two pictures qualifies.

Instead, we have one somewhat attractive blonde who actually looks like the sort of thing the ancient Greeks were talking about when they talk about nymphs. Her appearance strikes some people as just a bit off and she gets some criticism of her appearance for that reason.

And we have one unearthly, inhuman-looking elfin brunette who probably gets a lot more positive reactions for being dressed in what appears to be a wet bedsheet than she does for her actual looks. Dressed in fully opaque clothing, she'd be kind of unnerving because she looks borderline anorexic in the face.

Chronos
2008-02-10, 06:02 PM
Any pictures, please? [of the 3.0 dryad]Sorry, but I haven't been able to find any online.

I like the 1st/2nd ed. nymph. Not for the picture, but because of how her "death by smexy" worked. In 3.X, she just chooses to activate it. In previous editions, it automatically worked, but only if she was naked. A much better way to die, in my estimation.Even if they were clothed, they were still blindingly beautiful, though. An important note is that once you successfully saved against either effect, you were thereafter forever immune to that effect from that nymph. So if the dice were kind to you the first time, you could safely play Peeping Tom forever.

shadow_archmagi
2008-02-10, 08:06 PM
Isn't that sort of a logical fail?

"Ah! Now that I've passed my save and proved that I have no interest in the nym... I think I'll go have some nachos or whatever."

AtomicKitKat
2008-02-10, 08:38 PM
The AD&D Nymph fell on the "unearthly" side of things. With the brushed up hair and semi-anorexic look.:smallconfused:

Anyways, on the topic of "hot nude women in the water", the Rusalka from MM2(or maybe 3?) blows them all away. Light purple skin+green hair is inhuman enough for me.:smallbiggrin: Almost identical to the one in Quest for Glory 4, in fact...:smallwink:

TheOOB
2008-02-10, 11:54 PM
Reguardless of the name and history behind nymphs(D&D monsters are drawn from so many sources that most of them are something completely different now), D&D nymphs purpose is to serve as nature's embodiment of physical beauty. To that end it shouldn't just be a human or elf with an enormously high charisma, it should be something (like the 3.5 version) that is human-like, but also otherworldly. She could have been a bit more dressed and still gotten that across, but I suppose WotC does have to play to their base.

RedShift zX
2008-02-11, 01:40 AM
Gotta go with 3.5....3.0 looks like a playboy model from the late 80's...nowi f her face wasn't soo alien-ish in 3.5 we'd be set..

Tokiko Mima
2008-02-11, 04:53 AM

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/MM35_gallery/MM35_PG235.jpg

All I see when I look at that picture is how incredibly arbitrary sizing rules are in D&D. From a rules perspective, both the Nixie (big green one) and Pixie(dragonfly winged one) are sized Small, and can make attacks outside their square just like any medium sized human can. Whereas the Grig is classed as Tiny and cannot, and has to enter their opponents square and provoke an AoO before they can do melee damage. Apparently less than half an inch of arm length makes a huge difference in combat! :smalltongue:

Lizardfolk Lich
2008-02-11, 06:40 AM
Wait, Japanese? Why speak Japanese on an English forum?

So if the dice were kind to you the first time, you could safely play Peeping Tom forever.

I can really see players taking turns to see if they are blinded or not and once one is he yells and the nymph runs away.

kamikasei
2008-02-11, 08:16 AM
Wait, Japanese? Why speak Japanese on an English forum?

It's the Internets, man, people say all sorts of crazy things. Sou desu ne?

Mr. Friendly
2008-02-11, 08:40 AM
I miss the 2e Monstrous Manual Medusa.

She was a real hottie and would definately make you save against petrification.:smallbiggrin:

Giggity.

Maerok
2008-02-11, 09:02 AM
^

And you all wonder why there are so many half-human races... :smallwink:

MorkaisChosen
2008-02-11, 09:13 AM
I have to say, I think some of these artists weren't getting Treasure Type O regularly enough...

Much like the stereotypical D&D player in fact.

Signed, a 14-16 year old male who's playing a female character (http://vethedar.proboards25.com/index.cgi?board=accepted&action=display&thread=1199630962).

AslanCross
2008-02-11, 09:15 AM
The AD&D Nymph fell on the "unearthly" side of things. With the brushed up hair and semi-anorexic look.:smallconfused:

Anyways, on the topic of "hot nude women in the water", the Rusalka from MM2(or maybe 3?) blows them all away. Light purple skin+green hair is inhuman enough for me.:smallbiggrin: Almost identical to the one in Quest for Glory 4, in fact...:smallwink:

The Rusalka is from Frostburn.

http://wizards.com/dnd/images/fb_gallery/83571.jpg

Artemician
2008-02-11, 10:01 AM
It's the Internets, man, people say all sorts of crazy things. Sou desu ne?

So desu.

Although.. I don't see anything wrong with using foreign words ~desu. I mean, about half of the terminology we use in everyday conversation is foreign in origin ~desu. English is like a Katamari ball ~desu. Or the Borg. It steals, it borrows and it assimilates. Who knows, maybe Kawaii or Tsundere will become parts of the English language just like Photograph and Sushi ~desu.

kamikasei
2008-02-11, 10:09 AM
So desu.

Although.. I don't see anything wrong with using foreign words ~desu. I mean, about half of the terminology we use in everyday conversation is foreign in origin ~desu. English is like a Katamari ball ~desu. Or the Borg. It steals, it borrows and it assimilates. Who knows, maybe Kawaii or Tsundere will become parts of the English language just like Photograph and Sushi ~desu.

Something something someone's sig something something English = cribhouse whore something something follows other languages down dark alleys, beats them up, and rummages through their pockets for new vocabulary.

Nyoro~n

Artemician
2008-02-11, 10:12 AM
Something something someone's sig something something English = cribhouse whore something something follows other languages down dark alleys, beats them up, and rummages through their pockets for new vocabulary.

Nyoro~n

Yupyup.

I remember that sig, although I can't really recall who's Sig it was. Something about English being impossible to keep pure because it follows other languages down dark alleys and assaults them for new words.

Resistance is useless! You will be Assimilated....~desu!

*wanders off whistling*

kamikasei
2008-02-11, 10:14 AM
Still can't remember whose sig it was, but found the quote here (http://paizo.com/store/apparel/tShirts/pegasusPublishing/v5748btpy7roh).

The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.

Also: NEEDS MOAR DESU. Ahem.

So, uh, slightly more on-topic, I nominate the Elven Chain pic from the DMG as smexiest in D&D. Any contenders?

Vael Nir
2008-02-11, 10:58 AM
seconded, best looking armor ever!

WhiteHarness
2008-02-11, 11:12 AM
I vehemently disagree.

"Best looking armour ever?"

Hardly.

Ick.

AtomicKitKat
2008-02-11, 11:30 AM
The Rusalka is from Frostburn.

http://wizards.com/dnd/images/fb_gallery/83571.jpg

Ahh. Yes. Was trying to think why I couldn't find her.:smalltongue:

Fax Celestis
2008-02-11, 11:33 AM
So, uh, slightly more on-topic, I nominate the Elven Chain pic from the DMG as smexiest in D&D. Any contenders?

I see your elven chain and raise you a Frostwind Virago.

Trog
2008-02-11, 11:49 AM
Mah. The 3.0 one is just another cookie cutter Elmore female. 3.5 is weird looking, yes. I expect they will change even more in 4.0 what with fey getting more exotic looking vs. scantily-clad-female-in-the-woods = fey. Look at the new dryad for example.

kamikasei
2008-02-11, 12:19 PM
I see your elven chain and raise you a Frostwind Virago.

A contender, but I still hold to my previous assertion. Honourable mentions to the Dragonmarked Heir.

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-02-11, 12:58 PM
Still can't remember whose sig it was, but found the quote here (http://paizo.com/store/apparel/tShirts/pegasusPublishing/v5748btpy7roh).

Also: NEEDS MOAR DESU. Ahem.

So, uh, slightly more on-topic, I nominate the Elven Chain pic from the DMG as smexiest in D&D. Any contenders?I think that was originally by Mark Twain, but I could be wrong.

Fax Celestis
2008-02-11, 01:01 PM
I think that was originally by Mark Twain, but I could be wrong.

You are. Don't worry, everyone attributes everything to Mark Twain, Oscar Wilde, or Yogi Berra. But as Yogi Berra said, "I didn't really say everthing I've said."

Cuddly
2008-02-11, 02:02 PM
I don't like either of them. The 3.0 one looks too human in all the wrong ways... she has human imperfections, especially in the shape of her jaw, which a nymph really shouldn't. She's a generically attractive trailer-trash dancer, not an unearthly beauty.

But the 3.5 one is even worse. Those facial features are never going to be considered beautiful by most human standards, whether unearthly or otherwise. You can see the veins under her skin, and not in a good way. She has dark circles under her eyes. She looks anorexic, too... she looks like a drawn-out meth addict who has had botched cosmetic surgery in an attempt to look more elfish. She looks 'inhuman' in a Geigeresque alien way, not in an unearthly fey way. She falls directly into the uncanny valley. She is a work of Body Horror (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Body_horror). Nymphs are supposed to be unearthly embodiments of beauty, not just plain unearthly... that pic might be good for some other, horror-oriented fey (I strongly suspect it was originally intended for something along the lines of a siren, which have generally been presented as more horror-eque), but it doesn't fit a nymph at all.

Yeah, but I'm willing to overlook all the that for the erect nipple poking out from beneath that gossamer.