PDA

View Full Version : Skywalker?

shadow_archmagi
2008-02-10, 08:44 AM
How does one best create a jedi by RAW?

That is, what combination of items and spells can give the best resemblence of a lightsaber, and what class/race combinations allow for the most jedi abilities?

Lochar
2008-02-10, 08:52 AM
Psion with a brilliant energy longsword.

Swooper
2008-02-10, 10:35 AM
Psychic warrior I'd say, rather than psion. Jedi can hit stuff with weapons, psion can't really do that with their poor BAB.

In a gestalt game, make it a psion//warblade. :smalltongue:

Edit: Missed the second part.

For a lightsaber, I'd use a Brilliant Energy Defending Longsword, or possibly Bastard Sword.

Race is pretty irrelevant, most jedis seem to be 'human', but if you want one of the weirdo jedis from Episodes I-III, go with some weird looking psionic race like xeph or dromite. Feats... let's see, take some mobility stuff like Speed of Thought and Up the Walls. I can't remember if there's a power that works similar to the Jump spell, so maybe just max your Jump skill and get an item to boost it further, to imitate Force Jump. Use your power selection on mobility (Skate), protection (Force Screen) and stuff that lets you move stuff with your mind (Telekinetic Force), and you should be pretty set.

Shovah
2008-02-10, 10:40 AM
Either Psychic Warrior or a Psion/Slayer.
My vote would be for the Psion/Slayer.

edit: A Psion 10/Slayer 10 with a brilliant energy longsword and favoured enemy:Sith might work if you really wanted to be Jedi-like in regular D&D.

Not that you're likely to be facing Sith in your campaign, but..

Shraik
2008-02-10, 10:41 AM
I would not suggest it. Just find an old Star Wars D20 book and use that to keep it as Skywalkerish as possible.

Foolosophy
2008-02-10, 10:52 AM
A warlock with a reflavoured Eldritch Glaive could work for non-psionics games.

Worira
2008-02-10, 11:18 AM
A brilliant energy weapon is questionable as a lightsaber. Jedi fight droids a lot, and frequently chop through other things with them.

Beleriphon
2008-02-10, 11:27 AM
A brilliant energy weapon is questionable as a lightsaber. Jedi fight droids a lot, and frequently chop through other things with them.

Ghost touch then perhaps, or an lightning, brilliant energy, ghost touch, longsword of doom!

Chronos
2008-02-10, 02:09 PM
Do PsiWars get a power equivalent to Glibness?

<waves hand> You don't need to see my character sheet.

MeklorIlavator
2008-02-10, 02:12 PM
I believe that there was a couple of thread on this on the wizards boards. The final verdict, if I remember correctly, was a item of at will Flame blade, possible with metamagic on it(it was a while ago). I'll try and find the tread.

Aquillion
2008-02-10, 03:04 PM
Psychic warrior I'd say, rather than psion. Jedi can hit stuff with weapons, psion can't really do that with their poor BAB.

In a gestalt game, make it a psion//warblade. :smalltongue:

Edit: Missed the second part.

For a lightsaber, I'd use a Brilliant Energy Defending Longsword, or possibly Bastard Sword.

Race is pretty irrelevant, most jedis seem to be 'human', but if you want one of the weirdo jedis from Episodes I-III, go with some weird looking psionic race like xeph or dromite. Feats... let's see, take some mobility stuff like Speed of Thought and Up the Walls. I can't remember if there's a power that works similar to the Jump spell, so maybe just max your Jump skill and get an item to boost it further, to imitate Force Jump. Use your power selection on mobility (Skate), protection (Force Screen) and stuff that lets you move stuff with your mind (Telekinetic Force), and you should be pretty set.

The problem is that most of the Jedi abilities don't have Psychic Warrior powers that mimic them; Psychic Warrior powers tend to be limited to buffs and direct combat utility. Telekinetic Force isn't on the list, say. They do have mobility and some precognition, but not much else... Psychic Warriors have no abilities that represent telekinesis or mind control at all, and both of those are key jedi abilities.

Of course, you could use Expanded Knowledge. Psychic Warriors do get bonus feats they can spend on that. But what other powers would you get to avoid going outside the Jedi limits? Claws of the Beast and Expansion aren't going to cut it. I'll bold anything that seems particularly relevent.

Let's see. Anything that generally increases their senses or gives them 'intuition' is good. So is anything telepathic, or anything 'subtle' that increases their physical abilities without visual effect (since nobody will know you're using it anyway. You're just extra-tough.) Luckily, for a psychic character, it isn't always so bad to put a lower-level power in a higher-level slot, since it can be boosted...

Biofeedback, Burst, Catfall, Conceal Thoughts, Detect Psionics, Distract, Elfsight, Empty Mind, Float, Force Screen, Hammer, Precognition or Prescience anything, Synesthete and Vigor all seem like good options for first level. Plenty of options there.

Body Adjustment, Body Equilibrium, Body Purification, Psionic Darkvision, Detect Hostile Intent, Hustle, Prowess, Psionic Lion’s Charge, and Thought Shield are all good for level 2. (Most of the bolded ones here are because Jedi are supposed to be competant and fast in combat, and a psywar without those generally won't be.)

Danger Sense, Escape Detection, Mental Barrier, and Ubiquitous Vision for level 3 options? Starting to run low...

At 4th level things start getting harder. Steadfast Perception is good. Psionic Freedom of Movement? Inertial Barrier? Well, uh, Weapon of Energy might work, but it's sort of faking it...

Everything falls apart at 5th level; there are only 5 powers, and not one of them really fits. Catapsi is the least awful... can Jedi Metaconcert? Can they Psychofeedback? None of these things really fit...

At 6th level they can get Personal Mind Blank and Dispelling Buffer. Not enough 6th level powers, but then again, actual psywars don't have enough 6th level powers in their core book to take one at every opportunity, anyway.

For powers to grab with expanded knowledge: Far Hand, Missive, Cloud Mind, Telekinetic Force, Telekinetic Thrust, Psionic Divination, Telekinetic Maneuver (some uses would only be for Sith, but disarming is good), and maybe Psionic True Seeing.

Also, Control Object, or just about any Seer power (Precognition, Clairvoyant Sense, Object Reading, Sensitivity to Psychic Impressions, and Second Chance stick out in particular.) Most of the Telepath powers are good for Jedi, too, and the ones that aren't are mostly above 5th level and outside what a Psychic Warrior can get with Expanded Knowledge anyway. Psionic Charm, Read Thoughts, and Psionic Suggestion stick out in particular.

For Sith, there are more options, but Energy Current (used for lightning) is logical.

Another problem is displays. Jedis don't have them. You can suppress them with a concentration check, I think, but it's still worth thinking about.