PDA

View Full Version : I need help with a spell

Elhann
2008-02-10, 11:44 AM
One of my players is interested in developing a spell, but I'm not sure about which level shoul it be. Help me please:

Jasin's reactive counterspell
(Abjuration)

Level: That's what I'd like to know
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Target: A creature capable of casting spells or with spell-like abilities
Duration: 1 round/2 levels,or until discharged (D)
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: Yes

A glowing ball of energy springs from your finger tips. If you successfully hit your target with a ranged touch attack, she is imbued with this energy.

For the duration of the spell, if the target tries to cast any spell or use spell-like ability, the energy reacts and causes 1d6 points of damage per caster level, up to a maximum of 5d6, forcing a concentration check.

After the target tries to cast his first spell, the Reactive counterspell ends.

Thanks in advance.

KingGolem
2008-02-10, 03:45 PM
Hmm, I think I'd put that as a level 1 spell.

alchemyprime
2008-02-10, 07:52 PM
I'd go with level 1, because I say it's
1) too weak to be 2nd level
2) Not as strong as Magic Missile but
3) definitely better than Shocking Grasp

I'd say level 1.

Jack_Simth
2008-02-10, 08:36 PM
I'd go with level 1, because I say it's
1) too weak to be 2nd level
2) Not as strong as Magic Missile but
3) definitely better than Shocking Grasp

I'd say level 1.

As a first level spell, it metamagics much too well. Consider someone who maximizes it for a 4th level spell slot - it now deals 30 damage at caster level 7 when used on a spellcaster (but nothing at all when used on anyone else) - few things at level 7 are going to be able to make the DC 40 + spell level Concentration check that will require.

Even without Maximizing, the average Concentration Check DC is going to be 10+3.5 per caster level (stops at caster level 5) + spell level of attempted spell. A 9th level Wizard can quicken this, if it's a 1st level spell - so that'd average a DC 27.5 concentration check - possible, but a bit chancy, for most things you'll encounter at 9th. Quickened like that, it becomes a swift-action counterspell, in advance.

Normally, about the only way to interrupt a spellcaster is with an AoO or with a readied action - this is a spell that will do really well for shutting down the opposing spellcaster while still damaging said spellcaster. There aren't many of those, and with good reason.

Mal666
2008-02-11, 09:59 AM
hmmm, if you changed the damage to - D6/2 levels it would definatly be level 1. might be better being level 2 and bumping the duration up to 1 round/level and keeping it the same?

i'd probably go with it as a weak level 2 as is i think though. :smallconfused: