PDA

View Full Version : Mountain Wraith [PrC]

The Demented One
2008-02-10, 12:46 PM
Mountain Wraith

The Mountain Wraiths are an elite group of dwarven warriors, masters of both mountain and subterranean warfare. Mountain Wraiths make use of blinding speed, using ambushes and skirmishes to great effect. They are masters of incapacitating strikes, disabling their opponents with rapid, overpowering attacks. They play many roles–many Mountain Wraiths act as guardians for their clans, striking down threats before they can come near the clan, while others hunt down and kill goblins, orcs, and other enemies of dwarfkind. Though some outsiders may find the idea of a lightly-armored dwarf warrior who uses speed over strength abnormal, Mountain Wraiths are an ancient part of dwarf tradition, seen as necessary counterparts to heavily armored brute warriors like Dwarven Defenders.

Hit Dice
d8

Requirements
To qualify to become a Mountain Wraith, you must fulfill all the following criteria.
Race: Dwarf
Feats: Mountain Warrior (http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Mountain_Warrior,RS)
Skills: Knowledge (Dungeoneering) 8 ranks, Survival 8 ranks
Special: Skirmish +2d6

Class Skills
The Mountain Wraith’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Balance (Dex), Climb (Str), Craft (Int), Escape Artist (Dex), Jump (Str), Knowledge (Dungeoneering) (Int), Knowledge (Geography) (Int), Knowledge (Nature) (Int), Listen (Wis), Search (Int), Spot (Wis), Survival (Wis), Tumble (Dex), and Use Rope (Dex).

Skill Points per Level
6 + Int modifier.

{table=head]Level|Base Attack[br]Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+0|
+2|
+2|
+0|Boulder Charge

2nd|
+1|
+3|
+3|
+0|Mountain Vigor 1/–, Skirmish (+1 AC)

3rd|
+2|
+3|
+3|
+1|Overwhelming Speed

4th|
+3|
+4|
+4|
+1|Mountain Vigor 2/–, Skirmish (+1d6)

5th|
+3|
+4|
+4|
+1|Deepstone Edge

6th|
+4|
+5|
+5|
+2|Mountain Vigor 3/–, Skirmish (+2 AC)

7th|
+5|
+5|
+5|
+2|Halting Blow

8th|
+6|
+6|
+6|
+2|Mountain Vigor 4/–, Skirmish (+2d6)

9th|
+6|
+6|
+6|
+3|Avalanche Onslaught

10th|
+7|
+7|
+7|
+3|Mountain Vigor 5/–, Skirmish (+3 AC), Titan’s Deathblow[/table]

Class Features
All the following are class features of the Mountain Wraith prestige class.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency
You gain proficiency with the battleaxe, heavy pick, and warhammer. In addition, you may wield a dwarven waraxe proficiently as a two-handed weapon, though you must still take the Exotic Weapon Proficiency feat to wield it one-handed with proficiency.

Boulder Charge (Ex)
At 1st level, you learn how to make a Boulder Charge, a powerful attack that makes uses of your skirmish ability. Whenever you make a charge, triggering your skirmish ability, you may choose not to gain the normal skirmish bonus to AC, instead gaining it as a bonus on your attack roll.

Mountain Vigor (Ex)
At 2nd level, you can take advantage of your speed to react rapidly to your enemy’s attacks, allowing you to prepare for the blow before it strikes, lessening the blow. Whenever you use your skirmish ability, you gain damage reduction 1/–. The damage reduction increases to 2/– at 4th level, 3/– at 6th level, 4/– at 8th level, and 5/– at 10th level.

Skirmish (Ex)
At 4th and 8th levels, the damage dealt by your skirmish ability increases by 1d6. In addition, at 2nd, 6th, and 10th levels, the bonus to AC you gain when using the skirmish ability increases by one.

Overwhelming Speed (Ex)
At 3rd level, you can make rapid attacks that allow you to knock a foe off balance, forcing them to regain their footing and preventing them from making use of their full speed. Whenever you make a skirmish attack, you may forgo 1d6 of the skirmish damage. If you do, the creature you hit must make a Fortitude save, DC 10 + your class level + your Dexterity modifier, or be incapable of moving on its next round. It can still take other move actions. This ability does not affect creatures that are flying or levitating.

Deepstone Edge (Ex)
At 5th level, whenever you make a skirmish attack, you may subtract twice your class level from any damage reduction that creature may have for that one attack.

Halting Blow (Ex)
At 7th level, you can strike your foes with such speed that they are caught off-guard and forced to waste critical seconds reacting, preventing them from making a counterattack. Whenever you make a skirmish attack, you may forgo 3d6 of the skirmish damage. If you do, the creature you hit must make a Fortitude save, DC 10 + your class level + your Dexterity modifier, or be incapable of taking any standard actions in its next round.

Avalanche Onslaught (Ex)
At 9th level, you can make a number of rapid skirmish attacks, striking your foe with a barrage of rapid blows. As a full-round action, you may take two 5 ft. steps, followed by a full attack. However, the damage dealt by your skirmish ability on these attacks is reduced by 1d6, and you take a -2 penalty on each attack.

Titan’s Deathblow (Ex)
At 10th level, you learn the Titan’s Deathblow, a powerful attack that uses extreme speed to cripple a foe caught off-guard. Whenever you make a skirmish attack, you may forgo any number of the skirmish damage dice. If you do, the creature you hit must make a Fortitude save, DC 10 + your class level + your Dexterity modifier, or take a -2 penalty to Strength, Dexterity, and Constitution for the rest of the encounter. Each damage dice forgone beyond the first increases the penalty by one, to a maximum of -6. The penalties from multiple uses of this ability are not cumulative.

Spiryt
2008-02-10, 01:07 PM
Seems nice, even though I don't like Scouts too much.

Few questions though :

Does

Avalanche Onslaught (Ex)
At 9th level, you can make a number of rapid skirmish attacks, striking your foe with a barrage of rapid blows. As a full-round action, you may take two 5 ft. steps, followed by a full attack. However, the damage dealt by your skirmish ability on these attacks is reduced by 1d6.

stacks with Deepstone Edge and other skirmish related abilities? If so, it's too powerful.

Also Titan’s Deathblow looks way too good too me, even for a capstone thing. Probably with - 1 per skirmish dam dice and max -5 would be Ok.

The Demented One
2008-02-10, 01:19 PM
Made a few edits based on your suggestions.

Icewalker
2008-02-10, 03:12 PM
I like it, but it seems like overwhelming speed and halting blow should be reflex saves, not fortitude, as it is supposed to throw them off balance. At least, Overwhelming Speed certainly should, Halting Blow could be Will also, as it is trying to catch them off-guard and throw off their actions (that doesn't work great though).

Mind if I use this for my dwarves in my campaign world? They don't like people. :smallbiggrin:

The Demented One
2008-02-10, 04:15 PM
I like it, but it seems like overwhelming speed and halting blow should be reflex saves, not fortitude, as it is supposed to throw them off balance. At least, Overwhelming Speed certainly should, Halting Blow could be Will also, as it is trying to catch them off-guard and throw off their actions (that doesn't work great though).
It could go either way, but there are similar abilities that all work off Fortitude saves. Reflex tends to be more dodging area of effects than resisting status effects and similar impediments.

Mind if I use this for my dwarves in my campaign world? They don't like people. :smallbiggrin:
Go ahead.