PDA

View Full Version : The Order Of The Stick: November

The_Oz-Man
2004-11-01, 12:15 PM
I saw a SWORD in that treasure pile!

From the coloration, I'd say it's a frost sword...

Or maybe Xykon is so unspeakably evil that he colors his flaming swords blue! The horror... the horror!

Grey Watcher
2004-11-01, 12:20 PM
Xykon was a lich. Where's Xykon's phylactery? Could it be that crown? I think not. (Since they should bash it or something)

If they don't know that the crown is the phylactery, why would they smash it? Of course, Xykon being reconstituted in a sack full of "feminine products" would be incredibly awkward, but it could happen.

Pharazon
2004-11-01, 12:33 PM
Has anybody considered the possibility that the sword is the 'phylactery' as you people call it? Ah well, could be the crown too... who can tell. Besides the Giant.

Anyway, today we see Haley at what she does best. Looting. Although I didn't think she would have the others help her... I thought she would try to get away with all the treasure without being noticed.

And does anybody remember the ancient vaults below Xykon's level? You know, the ones with Durokan's sacred artefacts? For further information, see comic 71. They still have some more exploring to do, now that their greatest enemy has been defeated. Or so they think...

Ferret_Dragon
2004-11-01, 12:38 PM
It seems that, for "once", the OotS is not "meta-gaming". I could be wrong here. But, they don't seem to know that a lich's phylactery needs to be destroyed to destroy the lich.

A lich's phylactery is common D&D player knowledge that, for some reason, all characters know intuitively- even though they shouldn't.

Dainbramage
2004-11-01, 02:02 PM
Posted by: Pharazon Posted on: Today at 4:33pm
And does anybody remember the ancient vaults below Xykon's level? You know, the ones with Durokan's sacred artefacts? For further information, see comic 71. They still have some more exploring to do, now that their greatest enemy has been defeated. Or so they think...
Nope. Xykons level is bellow the level where they met the linear guild. Strip 72 panel 8 clearly shows them going down 2 levels towards Xykon's lair. I'm pretty sure that the dungeon has all been explored but I could be wrong.

Sundog
2004-11-01, 02:06 PM
I love Haley. Haley is my role-model...

Blackdog
2004-11-01, 02:11 PM
A lich's phylactery is common D&D player knowledge that, for some reason, all characters know intuitively- even though they shouldn't.

Perhaps that is because they take the opportunity to read D&D materials beforehand...Something these characters cannot.

Besides, what actual evidence points to the existence of Xykon's phylactery? Sure, he's a lich, but this hardly means he was photocopied right out of the monster manual. Given Rich's penchant for complex plot twists, I would be surprised if he resorted to "Oh, Xykon's not really dead; they never found his phylactery because none of them knew what it was! Ha ha!"

Aerysil1
2004-11-01, 02:29 PM
Maybe since we are speculating about Xykon coming back, Giant will throw us a curve ball and leave him dead!!!

No? :-/

MacDude
2004-11-01, 02:35 PM
I'm betting that Haley has an MBA. ;D

I've got questions!

Who turned the zombies to dust!?

Where is the high priest?

What happened to the thing in the dark?

How is V balancing (when not being wielded)?

Is Belkar's hair growing?

Grimicus
2004-11-01, 03:26 PM
Maybe since we are speculating about Xykon coming back, Giant will throw us a curve ball and leave him dead!!!

No? :-/

I guess you've never fought a lich before. :) It's a long and painful process of trial and error. Well, at least it was for my party. Perhaps we were a little slow on the uptake. We were fighting the same lich for a long time.

Blackdog
2004-11-01, 04:00 PM
As a linguistics scholar, I am highly impressed with Rich's knowledge of demon roach (Blattidae diabolus) dialect. "Youreges" is the second person possessive used to address royalty, often contracted simply to "youe".

Aerysil1
2004-11-01, 04:28 PM
I guess you've never fought a lich before. :) It's a long and painful process of trial and error. Well, at least it was for my party. Perhaps we were a little slow on the uptake. We were fighting the same lich for a long time.

Oh, I'm well aware of a lich's attributes. I personally have only fought a dracolich in NWN, but haven't encountered a lich in the paper game or any other CRPG. I've DMed a few, even had one with a phylactery that would, after it was defeated, actively possess a living creature nearby and turn them into a lich. :o

Martin
2004-11-01, 05:21 PM
See, and this was a thought for me as well, what with Roy hanging the crown around his neck.

GeeVee
2004-11-01, 05:53 PM
Roy the Lich? The horror...THE HORROR!

arche
2004-11-01, 06:14 PM
I need to start up a cockroach campaign someday.

Grey Watcher
2004-11-01, 06:47 PM
The following is quoted from a user called Shatteredtower from the OotS October Thread.

Judging by the way she's holding V, I can't help but wonder if she now has the answer to the gender debate.

Probably not. Given the perverse delight the Giant takes in our confusion V would probably be wearing some sort of baggy underwear that makes such judgements impossible.

firefighterbard
2004-11-01, 06:56 PM
And thus begins the discussion of what type of underwear that V wears?

Rhuna_Coppermane
2004-11-01, 07:47 PM

Yup. I vote for boxers. ;D

evileeyore
2004-11-01, 08:33 PM

Okay guys, take it to the V's Undergarments Speculation Thread...

--EvilE

Aser
2004-11-01, 10:50 PM
Okay, Evil Villain Slut that I am, I'm rooting for Xykon's phylactery NOT to be destroyed, because he had such a great stand-up routine. Surely he can return one day, perhaps being reconstituted in a pawn shop, along with goblin crawling hands and used accordians.

The roaches? I can always stand more roaches in an adventure comic.

And BTW, I've started a thread on the NaNoWriMo.org threads (that's National Novel Writing Month, for those who were unaware) about The Order of the Stick. I figured that the 33,000 participants ought to know about this ever-so-entertaining comic.

Callista
2004-11-02, 03:00 AM
Most PCs who fight a lich do so with a lot of preparation beforehand... that, or they have a bard (bardic knowledge) or someone with high enough ranks in Knowledge: Religion, Arcana, Undead, Monsters, or just about any related field, that a simple (but probably high-DC) Knowledge check reveals that a lich ought to have a phylactery hidden somewhere. That they're quite high level usually means they have the necessary experience to make it feasible that a knowledge check would reveal the existence of a phylactery.

Of course, the fact that this is OoTS tells me that "bardic knowledge" is lucky if it reveals how to put shoes on the right feet...

With Elan being Elan, he'd be more likely to accidentally destroy the phylactery than actually seek out and identify it before hand.

Strangely enough, I've never actually fought a lich in a game of D&D. My DMs seem to have a penchant for dragons, instead (and they're quite as deadly, if handled right... wow, I'd like to see OoTS up against a big dragon one of these days!).

Presumably, a lich hides its phylactery by disguising the aura, right?

As for Haley, do remember that despite her treasure-gathering ways, she is good-aligned (Unholy Blight sickened her, remember, along with everyone but Belkar?). She's not going to be mean enough to deny the group any reward at all after they've worked so long for it... though if I know Haley, she'll be using those sticky fingers to get more than her share!

Haley's smart... she knows that a poor fighter can't buy good weapons to protect her with, and a poor spellcaster can't buy high-level scrolls to study and use to save her butt... so unless she's completely suicidal, she'll let them have some of the swag this time around.

Either that, or she knows her carrying capacity isn't nearly big enough to handle all of it... ;D

Khaelo
2004-11-03, 01:28 AM
Durkon and Elan haven't said anything about a phylactery, but Vaarsuvius hasn't even had a chance to comment yet. Someone who can decipher and interpret the mystical importance of the doily probably has a pretty impressive Knowledge (Arcana).

I don't know what Knowledge is relevant to phylacteries, though.

pumpkinetics
2004-11-03, 05:37 AM
It seems that, for "once", the OotS is not "meta-gaming". I could be wrong here. But, they don't seem to know that a lich's phylactery needs to be destroyed to destroy the lich.

Remember what roy said: "It doesn't feel right...my dad hasn't shown up to thank me yet."

Maybe Rich is just creeping up to something, and hasn't revealed it yet. Dun DUN DUNNNN!!!

Or the entire party blew their knowledge (lich related stuff) checks

Ferret_Dragon
2004-11-03, 10:05 AM
I don't know what Knowledge is relevant to phylacteries, though.

The knowledge related to undead is Knowledge (Religion). However, I'd have to say that a Knowledge (Arcana) or Bardic Knowledge, at different DC's, would also apply here.

Skadrian
2004-11-03, 10:28 AM
Offcourse Xykon isnt defeated, first because it went much too fast and second because his last words are: "Y'know, actually, this isn't that bad", so he will surely come back later.

AngelSword
2004-11-03, 01:06 PM
Xykon could return, but, knowing the randomness in which the Giant comes up with plot threads, he'll be one of those wierd, backwards, "Good" lich from the Forgotten Realms.

Wanderer
2004-11-04, 12:56 AM
I... think our questions have been answered. And we must now curse The Giant for his evilness in refusing to reveal the mysterious minion.

CaptN
2004-11-04, 01:04 AM
NEXT TIME ORDER OF THE STICK... NEXT TIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIME!

Now i'm gonna go Obsess over what that damnable creature is.

Lilly
2004-11-04, 01:26 AM
NEXT TIME ORDER OF THE STICK... NEXT TIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIME!

Now i'm gonna go Obsess over what that damnable creature is.

Well it eats things, so it has to have a mouth and eat organic stuff...

But it was early! wow.

Well now we know where Xykon's phyla... soul-hidey-thing is. And this was a good one for banter.

ChaoticGod
2004-11-04, 02:03 AM
YES, XYKON LI. . . uh, EXISTS!!!

But I still want to know who sucked up all those Magic Missiles??? Nobody was yelling 'Medic'?

ShadowDragon8685
2004-11-04, 02:42 AM
My guess is he was shooting the roaches...

Oh, and ummm...

DUN DA DUNN!!! DUM DA DUMM!!!

pumpkinetics
2004-11-04, 02:56 AM
See? SEE? I TOLD YOU SO!

Eeeevil rich. Eeeevil eeevil rich.

Though I don't know how Xykon can talk within the phylactery. the whole point is liches don't com back for around 5 days.

Oh, and I think the creature-in-the-shadows and black mage from 8-bit theatre are the same thing.

Elethiomel
2004-11-04, 06:37 AM
(...)
And BTW, I've started a thread on the NaNoWriMo.org threads (that's National Novel Writing Month, for those who were unaware) about The Order of the Stick. I figured that the 33,000 participants ought to know about this ever-so-entertaining comic.

Some of my friends are trying to complete NaNoWriMo, and they use all their free time for writing. Hence, you are evil for giving them acces to this wonderful, but time consuming comic right now! ;)

Elethiomel
2004-11-04, 06:43 AM
See? SEE? I TOLD YOU SO!

Eeeevil rich. Eeeevil eeevil rich.

Though I don't know how Xykon can talk within the phylactery. the whole point is liches don't com back for around 5 days.

Oh, and I think the creature-in-the-shadows and black mage from 8-bit theatre are the same thing.

That Xykon can talk from his phylactery even though DnD lore may not say he can is probably because this is a work of parody, where the Giant calls all the shots. Also, this is obviously not your regular Greyhawk world, as major gods are Norse-inspired ones like Thor and Loki. And finally, the GM (or DM if you insist on using specific terms rather than generic terms) has final say in exactly how liches' phylacteries work.

SumGuy
2004-11-04, 11:10 AM
YAY! Redcloak surrvived!

...oh, yea, and the lich did too.

I am actually very surprised that Xykon would trust Redcloak enough to give him his phylarkie/sould hidey thing/whatever. I would think he would just hide it somewhere (like a law firm ;) ) and then just come back from there.

eldersphinx
2004-11-04, 04:19 PM
YAY! Redcloak surrvived!

...oh, yea, and the lich did too.

I am actually very surprised that Xykon would trust Redcloak enough to give him his phylarkie/sould hidey thing/whatever. I would think he would just hide it somewhere (like a law firm ;) ) and then just come back from there.

5. The artifact which is the source of my power will not be kept on the Mountain of Despair beyond the River of Fire guarded by the Dragons of Eternity. It will be in my safe-deposit box. The same applies to the object which is my one weakness.
'Nuff said. ;D

Sir_flatus
2004-11-04, 09:47 PM
Ok.. I'm really starting to dig those bugs! Please keep them around!

Great stuff once again :)

Lilly
2004-11-04, 09:53 PM
I know what the thing in the dark is..... It's Gary Coleman. ;D

Aser
2004-11-04, 11:45 PM
I for one, am tickled into cartwheels all around my studio over this OOTS. Not only do I find that my favorite anti-hero of all time is still ... uhhh ... alive, but Redcloak and the Thing in the Dark aaaand the giant red demon cockroaches are joining Xykon's road show. Hooray, Rich, I've been on Cloud Nine all day.

*burns incense to let the deities know that this is a keeper*

A.

mossfoot
2004-11-05, 01:29 PM
Am I the only one that got reminded of Twiki from Buck Rogers in this episode with Xykon hanging around the neck like that? ;D

Ferret
2004-11-06, 12:14 PM
Yay! Ya gotta love the demon cockroaches and the thing in the dark.... 8)

Sebastian
2004-11-07, 11:03 AM
Maybe that is not a pil ... phel... soul-hidey-thingy. Maybe is Redcloak that is a ventriloquist.

Ok, maybe not, but if it so, remember that you heard here first. :)

Duskrider_Moogle
2004-11-08, 01:06 AM
You have to push a rune to get that to happen? Huh. For most villains the base just falls apart on its own, button-pushing or no.

Wanderer
2004-11-08, 01:20 AM
Ah the big, glowing self-destruct rune. I remember it well. Although in our case it was a big glowing rune on the floor that was actually holding the whole complex together, but close enough. We broke it, and armageddon was unleashed. It's AMAZING how much faster a party can get through an ancient temple-place-thing when the whole place is falling apart behind them... ;D

Matuse
2004-11-08, 01:48 AM
Do not use ever. No, not even then.

Hahahahahahahah...classic.

Lilly
2004-11-08, 02:24 AM
"Do not push unless you really, really, mean it."

MEWHEHEHEHEH.

ArlEammon
2004-11-08, 04:22 AM
I think the monster in the dark may be a draco lich.

ShadowDragon8685
2004-11-08, 06:05 AM
Why do I have the image of glowing runes in all the corridors, on the walls, going between red and black, while a klaxxon sounds everywhere?

Question: Does blowing the dungeon to kingdom come count as overcoming the challenge for the purpose of awarding XP? :)

Rhuna_Coppermane
2004-11-08, 06:38 AM
What I'm wondering is, is that really a Self-Destruct Rune, or is it some nasty trick of Xykon's that he left for the players just in case?

*grin* Can't wait to find out!

Gdrad
2004-11-08, 07:10 AM
Ah the old "enemy fortress blows up after you beat the villian" cliche. AND it was caused by some iodciy by either a main character or secoundary character. Thats like the secound most common method, with the villian using their last energy to do it being the first.

Wanderer
2004-11-08, 09:41 AM
Actually, I'd say that the place falling apart because the villain's power is no longer holding it up is in fact the most common.

Cleb
2004-11-08, 10:29 AM
Hmmm...I wonder if anyone in the group has been mapping? lol

-Cleb

lartinger
2004-11-08, 10:50 AM
Maybe they can use the employee stairs to get out quickly?

Pharazon
2004-11-08, 12:45 PM
Oh my. Dorukan's gonna be so angry when he comes home...

sinbard
2004-11-08, 02:57 PM
"There once was a fighter named Roy,
dads sword was his whole pride and joy,
but then it was shattered,
Roys flight left it scattered,
did the bard ever get it, oh boy!"

The Giant
2004-11-08, 03:36 PM
Roy definitely picked up all the pieces he could find already. Note that he suggests in Panel #5 that they leave--something he wouldn't do if he thought there were any other pieces to collect.

So while Elan might "get it", it will not be because Roy had to abandon any pieces of the sword.

Ferret_Dragon
2004-11-08, 03:45 PM
Hmmm...I wonder if anyone in the group has been mapping? lol

-Cleb

Probably Elan. Scary to see a map by him.

Cleb
2004-11-08, 04:10 PM
And thus you were all told by The Giant. lol

:P

-Cleb

Kashinn
2004-11-08, 05:29 PM
"There once was a fighter named Roy,
dads sword was his whole pride and joy,
but then it was shattered,
Roys flight left it scattered,
did the bard ever get it, oh boy!"

While I like it, it has a small error besides the one The Giant pointed out. It is the sword of Roy's Grand-Father. His father was a magic-user and wanted Roy to become one as well. Thus his disappointment when Roy wanted to become a Fighter...

...sorry for nitpicking, I enjoyed it nevertheless :-)

Cleb
2004-11-08, 05:52 PM
Yeah...Elan's map would be pretty scary.

Again, in this forum, I must apologize to everyone. My $^@&!#@ computer bugged on me again. Busy server, slow work computer (because God knows I have nothing better to do at work), equals bad things sometimes.

Sorry for accidentally spamming.

-Cleb

The Wise Assassin

The Voice of Mod: Never fear, a touch of Mod Magic has erased the offending multiple posts. Carry on.

sinbard
2004-11-09, 04:17 AM
When I find I'm faced down by a giant
in his own playground I'll sure be compliant.
Neither forebears sword at my hips,
'song of correction' on my lips.
Who expected a bard to be reliant?
;)

DrDoom
2004-11-09, 07:51 AM
Muahaha! That made me laugh!

Oh, but Cleb did not want to spam on purpose, it was just a triplepost.
But nice Limmerick, anyway. Keep em coming!

Rhuna_Coppermane
2004-11-09, 11:03 AM
In limericks we all should now post -
That should change just who posteth the most.
But this thinking in rhyme
And scanning in time
Will turn my poor orc brain to toast!

GeeVee
2004-11-09, 02:42 PM
These limericks amusing are.
Now I speak in limericks, har har.
But these poems and lines
all hours and times?
Let's not let this thing go so far.

Cleb
2004-11-09, 03:56 PM
Writing these limmericks ain't hard,
However annoying they are,
But were I a Ranger,
You'd all be in danger,
Cause my favored enemy would be "The Bard."

-Cleb

The Wise Assassin

sinbard
2004-11-10, 03:20 AM
It seems that the challenge was taken,
a call to all poets, awaken!
Upon the order of the stick
heap praise sly and slick
to show how much we 'preciate 'em.

Speak and end your mental slacking
or do you find your CHA score lacking?
So I hereby beseech thee
roll on perform (poetry),
arts like villains need regular whacking!

Cleb
2004-11-10, 10:41 AM
I never really got along with Bards in our campaigns...usually I was playing a Ranger or Rogue who couldn't understand how one person who was so capable of being stealthy always enjoyed the most attention possible. It seemed to clash with my sentiments...

-Cleb

The Wise Assassin

bournie
2004-11-10, 07:09 PM
There once was a Paladin called Lars
Who couldn't afford a Special Mount, "Cars"
So rather than hike
He just rode his Bike
Poor poor Lars...

Well that was my attempt at poetry, my Fiancee does that sort of thing better though...

Anyway loved the "False" Climax of the comic this month and can't wait to find out what twists and turns Rich has in store for us.

I know it would be cliche` but could the BBEG in the shadows be a Tarrasque? There may be only one in the multiverse, but there is almost always one in a campaign...

Duskrider_Moogle
2004-11-10, 07:29 PM
There once was a Paladin called Lars
Who couldn't afford a Special Mount, "Cars"
So rather than hike
He just rode his Bike
Poor poor Lars...

Well that was my attempt at poetry, my Fiancee does that sort of thing better though...

Anyway loved the "False" Climax of the comic this month and can't wait to find out what twists and turns Rich has in store for us.

I know it would be cliche` but could the BBEG in the shadows be a Tarrasque? There may be only one in the multiverse, but there is almost always one in a campaign...

Uhh, ain't the Tarrasque supposed to be big? Godzilla-type big? as opposed to goblin sized, which the secret weapon certainly seems to be. Unless this Tarrasque has its eyes on its pinky toe...

bournie
2004-11-10, 07:57 PM
I wouldn't have thought Goblin sized, he is definitely at least DnD Large, I would personally have thought at minimum Huge.

He has always struck me as hunched over and leaning forward to speak to Xykon and Redcloak.

But yes you are probably right I think Tarrasques are Gargantuan in size, but you know Rich he may just have cast Reduce on it...

Duskrider_Moogle
2004-11-11, 01:03 AM
It COULD be, but I dunno about "definitely".

In any case...Tarrasque is WAY too actually-scary for it to be the 'secret weapon'. It's gotta end up being something silly or else the comic collapses in on itself because something unfunny happened, which violates the basic principles of the stick figure univars :o

bournie
2004-11-11, 01:17 AM
Baby Tarrasque? Yeah I'm clutching at straws...

Maybe, wait for the irony, it's a shadow?

Wanderer
2004-11-11, 01:46 AM
I'm too lazy to look it up, but the Tarrasque is in the largest size-category there IS. Trust me on this one... my party made the abysmal mistake of getting some gods irritated at us, and they decided to drop the beast in on our heads.

And in regards to today's comic... "Seriously, Belkar, put some ranks in Spot already." I LOVE it! ;D

Shatteredtower
2004-11-11, 02:29 AM
Tarrasque is WAY too actually-scary for it to be the 'secret weapon'. It's gotta end up being something silly or else the comic collapses in on itself because something unfunny happened, which violates the basic principles of the stick figure univars :o

I don't know. I always considered the tarrasque sillier even than giant space hamsters, which is saying a lot.

As for the latest comic, that bard is going to be the death of me - or of Roy. Just for different reasons in each case.

Rhuna_Coppermane
2004-11-11, 06:13 AM
;D Oh, now that was priceless!

DrDoom
2004-11-11, 08:07 AM
Vin Diesel Movie - That made me laugh!

Abelard
2004-11-11, 09:52 AM
Damn! I'd had Belkar pegged as my favorite character, but Elan was awesome today!

Except that I'm disappointed that Elan said Roy knew common knowledge, presumably implying more than he himself knew. Dude, Bardic Knowledge checks! Though I suppose an Int-penalty would make those harder... :P

I just realized... both Belkar and Elan are largely clueless. Belkar appears so because of his Spot disability, and Elan because he has the brains of a radish. I have a fondness for Int- and Wis-impaired characters...

SumGuy
2004-11-11, 10:25 AM
"Game Over man, Game Over!"
This quote was from Aliens, I believe, and if so, it was given by one of the Marines.

Interesting facts:

Yesterday was the 229th Birthday of the United States Marine Corps, and today is Veterans Day.

Is the Giant being allegorical again? Or am I just streaching my imagination too much?

Grey Watcher
2004-11-11, 02:28 PM
Is the Giant being allegorical again? Or am I just streaching my imagination too much?

[strange chime plays] ...Yes.

But anyway, I really enjoyed to today's comic, but the OotS Guys on an exterior set looked really weird to me.

Sir_flatus
2004-11-11, 08:01 PM
;D Seriously, Belkar, Put some ranks in spot already ;D

I love the skill spoofs

bournie
2004-11-11, 10:04 PM
That is now my favourite Episode, eclipsing #4 "Bluff the Stupid Ogre"

Belkar and Elan are my Favourites, my note book for Pen and Paper is Belkars "I think I failed a spot Check"

Hey Rich can we have an Elan Notebook? Or possibly a t-shirt with the last panel of #119 It's pure gold, and I'll pay for it with pure plastic!

Sundog
2004-11-11, 11:55 PM

Oy, Kosh-free zone here! ;D

I love Elan. And now that I know he likes Vin Diesel movies, I even know he has good taste...

Duskrider_Moogle
2004-11-13, 04:22 PM

Uh oh, things are going 19!

(or 119 since that's the number of the comic, I guses)

Shatteredtower
2004-11-14, 08:05 AM
"Game Over man, Game Over!"
This quote was from Aliens, I believe, and if so, it was given by one of the Marines.

Correct -- spoken by Private Hudson, played by Bill Paxton, if my memory is correct.

In the context of a D&D campaign, it's certainly as appropriate a choice of quotes as they come.

I'm pretty sure that this installation had a substantial dollar value attached to it. I wonder if anyone is getting a bill?

Shatteredtower
2004-11-15, 06:54 AM
Masterfully done. If anyone else had made those claims, Elan would immediately have chimed in with some variation of "Or is it? Dun dun DUN!" But since Elan made them...

You know, it occurs to me that he's got to have an 18 or higher Charisma if Roy is going to forget the cardinal rule: Elan doesn't have a chance of being right about anything.

And for some reason, I'm now wondering when we'll see the girdle of gender flexibility again.

GeeVee
2004-11-15, 09:11 AM
Best episode yet. Keep up zee good vork Rich.

Aralen
2004-11-15, 09:21 AM
1st OotS Season is OVER!!!

What an amazing comic. I want it printed!!!!

Kashinn
2004-11-15, 09:28 AM
Great comic once again. All loose ends have been hinted at!

...even those two running-gag-cushion-tentacle-monsters :-)

Let's see whats up next ;D

Pharazon
2004-11-15, 11:43 AM
Yup, that takes care of all loose ends. I was wondering when we'd get to see Sabine again... I believe that was her name, right?

And I really hope this thing indeed gets published... you certainly deserve it. If you continue striving for that goal, I guess all the other story arcs will have 120 pages as well? Assuming there will be many many more, of course ;)

Ferret_Dragon
2004-11-15, 02:28 PM
I wonder if Vin Diesel reads this strip...? He does play D&D after all.

Btw, those tentacly things are known as Flumphs. I've heard it argued that they are amongst the most useless of monsters from previous editions of D&D. (2nd Ed. or 1st... I don't remember)

SumGuy
2004-11-15, 03:16 PM
I wonder what Belkar's reaction to the new bad guy will be...

Belkar: OH HELL NO!
Roy: What?
Belkar: That jerk!
Roy: Uh, who?
Belkar: That jerk in the cloak over there!
Durkon: Why do ye not like 'im Belkar, did ee stab yee?
Belkar: No, he did WORSE!
Everybody else: ...huh?
Belkar: He stole my style! My patented Two Sword Style! That Jerk!!!

mossfoot
2004-11-15, 03:24 PM
Congratulations Giant on a sucessful, hilarious, and complete Story Arc. Looking forward to many more ;D 8)

Mikeaii
2004-11-15, 04:17 PM
Harrah! Story Arc Compleation.
Witty AND with fully fuctioning story capabilities! What more could you ask for in a webcomic? Really. We now know why it's number one, eh?

Go Vote or taste cold steal!

GypsyThorn
2004-11-15, 06:04 PM
Great comic once again. All loose ends have been hinted at!

...even those two running-gag-cushion-tentacle-monsters :-)

Let's see whats up next ;D

Two loose ends I'm looking forward to....

1st, how are magic items distributed? If it works out anything like the D&D group I play with, that takes at least an entire session.

2nd, how many XP do each character get? Anyone with a LOT more free time than me want to take a crack at estimating this? Nothing fancy, just something reasonable. Nifty prize to the entry coming closest, eh, Giant?

Lilly
2004-11-15, 06:27 PM
You got plot all over my random funnies!

How does it feel to be an accomplished webcomic writer with a complete story arc under your belt? And what's with all the planning?

Loose end I wanna see: where's Hilgya?

Ferret
2004-11-15, 06:44 PM
Off Panel?

But definate Yayness! I'm liking the plot and humoyur possibilities, do I sense ever recurring flumphs though.

The Giant
2004-11-15, 06:46 PM
How does it feel to be an accomplished webcomic writer with a complete story arc under your belt?

Feels pretty good. The best part is I can finally start to unleash all these town/wilderness ideas that have been building up. :D

Loose end I wanna see: where's Hilgya?

Keep in mind that Elan and Roy don't know about Durkon's roll in the proverbial hay with Hilgya, and thus didn't mention it.

Phoenix
2004-11-15, 07:28 PM
The one loose end I'm dying to see come to fuition is this: what is Elan doing with that Girdle of Masculinity/Femninity?

evileeyore
2004-11-15, 07:53 PM
Will the Order of the Stick ever have to battle the new villain, Xykon and his minions, and the Linear Guild, ALL AT ONCE?

DUN DUN DUN!!!

Tsk, tsk. Can't you recognie a Heroic Organization when it is introduced?

--EvilE

DrDoom
2004-11-15, 08:01 PM
Hm, I too was asking myself: Where is Hylgia?
But Im confident that we did not have seen the last of her.
Oh, btw, why did noone of the OOTS asked where she was?
They did see her together with Linear Guild!

Anyway, great ending, looking forward to teh next episodes. Willt here be a hiatus (oh gods, prevent that!) or will you continue normally on Thursday?

evileeyore
2004-11-15, 08:55 PM
Hm, I too was asking myself: Where is she?
But Im confident that we did not have seen the last of her.
Oh, btw, why did noone of the OOTS asked where she was?
They did see her together with Linear Guild!

Anyway, great ending, looking forward to teh next episodes. Willt here be a hiatus (oh gods, prevent that!) or will you continue normally on Thursday?

I presume the "She" you refer to is Sabine? Yes?

She flew the coop, got away, escaped swearing revenge. They all know that. I doubt they think she would so easily be able to bust her old leader (and love) Nale and the groups muscle Thog out so easily.

This just leaves us one loose Linear Guilder to wonder about. The scorned chick...

Sabine hath no fury like a Choatic Evil Female Dwarven Cleric scorned--EvilE

Ooops, got Elan and Nale mixed up again...
[EDIT II] Helgya? Well the non Dwarven members of OotS probably figure she fled after/during the battle. Or was consumed by the 2ed creatures in the pit, which was where she fell.

Beyond that plot dictates that they don't ask. Yet.[/EDIT II]

Victor
2004-11-15, 11:02 PM
wow! its like the ending of a good cliffhanger who is that cloaked person and who is the guy on top of the throne room love it cant wait to see what the giant has up his sleeve for the rest of the series ;D

Wanderer
2004-11-15, 11:31 PM
I have a strong suspicion about the cloaked individual (or at least, about who his master is) but since The Giant has this thing about people guessing the future of his strips, I won't say it just in case I'm right. ;D

Oh... and speaking of the cloaked individual... I'm presuming the weapon in his right hand is a katana, but what's that in the left? Shaped similar, but too small... doesn't look like a kukri... maybe something from a book other than the PHB? Or perhaps just an unnamed weapon drawn because The Giant felt like it.

And I'm thinking too much. Someone tell me to shut up.

bournie
2004-11-15, 11:43 PM
Shut up.... (you asked for it!)

I think you are thinking of a Katana and Ninja To or Waiziki (spelling) Look at the Samurai class in Complete warrior.

Circon
2004-11-16, 12:43 AM
Poor squishy white tentacle monsters. :-[

Yayyy! ;D

JMFD
2004-11-16, 05:55 AM
The last panel has got to go on a TShirt ;)

Rhuna_Coppermane
2004-11-16, 05:30 PM

Oh yeah, or a mug. I want a mug. :)

I'm hoping things don't heat up again for Our Heroes for a while. Giving them a chance to bask in their supposed victory will make their finding ut that all they won was a battle, not the war, all the more satisfying (IMO, of course).

Yortsed
2004-11-16, 05:33 PM
Is it just me, or are Elan and Haley holding hands on the last panel ?

gerald_of_sengir
2004-11-16, 06:04 PM
Of course. They ARE dating. *points to strip 109*

Kashinn
2004-11-17, 04:48 AM
Cool, really looks like those two are holding hands ;-)

Let"s just continue to hope that, if that thing becomes something more, the children will come after their mother - anything else would just be too cruel

Hmm quote from Terry Pratchett, on a different subject, but the mood is right: "It has to be a boy, nature just isn"t cruel enough to do THAT to a girl." ;-)

Nighthawk4
2004-11-17, 02:37 PM

Great idea. How about it please Giant - 2 orders already ;)

Wanderer
2004-11-17, 10:04 PM
Say... whatever happened to the flumphs?

Rhuna_Coppermane
2004-11-17, 11:06 PM
Say... whatever happened to the flumphs?

They'd make a good t-shirt too. Or a coffee mug. I've already got all the t-shirts I'll need for years, but you can never have too many coffee mugs!

Circon
2004-11-18, 01:16 AM
Hey, it's thursday and there's no new cartoon!

Shatteredtower
2004-11-18, 03:42 AM
Hey, it's thursday and there's no new cartoon!

"Art takes as long as it takes."

The Giant's schedule does not involve him posting a strip by an exact hour -- for one reason or another, it might be delayed until late on the day of update, but it will be up (barring personal or site misfortune and may he be spared them both).

In the meantime, if he decided to finish it in the morning, who am I to begrudge the man sleep? Whatever allows him to maintain his standards (and health -- may it never fail him again) is fine by me.

The Giant
2004-11-18, 04:11 AM
Exactly. I didn't even start today's strip until after midnight.

It's up now, though.

Alarra
2004-11-18, 04:39 AM
And it was well worth the wait, and yes even the disappointment I felt when at 1:00am there was no comic...as this is by far one of my favorite strips yet! ;D

ShadowDragon8685
2004-11-18, 05:06 AM
Dave in Kansas City, Missouri must play with some wierd people.

I don't think I have a player who rolls anything less than a D12 for damage. The wizard took MWP: Greatsword, and the Rogue doles out his Sneak attack from the shadows with his Greataxe.

Rhuna_Coppermane
2004-11-18, 07:01 AM
*applause* I liked today's. A nice break in the action before plunging Our Heroes into hot water once more, but very funny.

Definitely Pirate! Hee! ;D

DrDoom
2004-11-18, 08:56 AM
"I even can't see the ninja panel"

Muahaha, I think he missed a spotcheck...

That made me really laugh!

Peldor
2004-11-18, 09:56 AM
Hooray! Pirates and ninjas!

Love the hook hand for opening wine bottles. ;D

Daveric
2004-11-18, 09:57 AM
It's always the little touches I like. The anthropomoprhic dice, the hook in the pirate's hand as he uncorks the bottle of wine...

And I agree, a nice break in between story arcs to recoup. :) Another well done strip.

Yortsed
2004-11-18, 11:59 AM
Mh! Pirate for me too! ;D

D12: Does anybody remember a d12 was even used just once in 2ed ????

Only exception the d8+d12 random encounters (and even then you could use two 10siders as well!)

sorry me englisch ;)

Cleb
2004-11-18, 01:32 PM
I'd remind everyone here that the 12-sider isn't all that ignored. After all, I believe you will find the following lyrics in the Weezer song "In the Garage."

I've got the Dungeon Master's Guide,
I've got a 12-sided die.
I've got Kitty Pryde,
And Nightcrawler too.......

-Cleb

The Wise Assassin

Lilly
2004-11-18, 01:42 PM
This one had me rolling on the floor in laughter! Well snickering really quietly in the library, I don't want to disturb any more of the school.

But how do we, the lovely forum members, submit questions for the mail call? The pirate/ninja one seemed to be from Medesha.

It's just so many levels of awesome!

Grey Watcher
2004-11-18, 01:56 PM
You know,about the Spot Check thing, Kermit the Frog said it best. "Good grief, it's a running gag."

GypsyThorn
2004-11-18, 02:55 PM
Exactly. I didn't even start today's strip until after midnight.

It's up now, though.

Hey, let's do some math! Rich didn't start the strip until after midnight - maybe 12:15 am, say? And it was posted on or before 2:11 am, so let's call it 2:05 am. That means it took him 110 minutes from start to finish.

So, time to crunch...

Seven days in a week, 24 hours a day, that's 168 hours. We'll give him an average of 8 hours a day to sleep, eat, perform personal functions (unlike public functions, like bar mitzvahs). Some days more, some days less, but that leaves 112 hours. Day job? feh, fergeddabodit. We'll click on the PayPal link a few times.

So 112 hours x ( 60 minutes / hour ) / ( 110 miuntes / strip ) = 60 + strips / week ! Wow! Now that's potential...

GeeVee
2004-11-18, 03:41 PM
Hey, let's do some math! Rich didn't start the strip until after midnight - maybe 12:15 am, say? And it was posted on or before 2:11 am, so let's call it 2:05 am. That means it took him 110 minutes from start to finish.

So, time to crunch...

Seven days in a week, 24 hours a day, that's 168 hours. We'll give him an average of 8 hours a day to sleep, eat, perform personal functions (unlike public functions, like bar mitzvahs). Some days more, some days less, but that leaves 112 hours. Day job? feh, fergeddabodit. We'll click on the PayPal link a few times.

So 112 hours x ( 60 minutes / hour ) / ( 110 miuntes / strip ) = 60 + strips / week ! Wow! Now that's potential...

He doesn't have that much time. He has a life a thing called a (w/l)ife, you know. ;)

He has to do shopping. Oh wait, he has a wife. Forget shopping. I don't know if he has kids, but that's not important if he's married anyway.
And he needs to cook his food...oh wait, he has a wife. My bad.
And he needs to do things he, himself, wants to do. Oh, wait, a wife. That means he can't do that. ;) :P

[/massivesexistjoke]

P.S: All of what I've said does in no way reflect my opinion. It's just a joke. Okay? ;)

The Giant
2004-11-18, 06:12 PM
I don't have a wife, I have a girlfriend. Huge difference.

When I say "started the strip", I mean doing the art for it. I already had the script written from the night before.

bournie
2004-11-18, 07:03 PM
d12 you say, mmmm yes I have one of those.

I must say I can't remember the last time it was used in an actual 'Roll of the dice' it is however very handy for piffing (throwing) at minatures when they die to knock them over, it has good shape, weight and certainly serves this purpose admirably. It's also good at keeping track of hit damage done to a monster in a campaign...

evileeyore
2004-11-18, 07:09 PM
I don't have a wife, I have a girlfriend. Huge difference.

When I say "started the strip", I mean doing the art for it. I already had the script written from the night before.

Belkar is slowly starting to gain on Varsuvius as my favorite character.

As is Elan, strikingly enough.

On another note, we have seen Durkon's, Elan's, and Roy's "histories". It is now time for Belkar, Haley, and Varsuvius.

I can't wait.

/runs in circles with excitement*

The sky is blue and all the leaves are green, The sun's as warm as a baked potatoe...--EvilE

*Yes, yes I know, its likely to be months, but a man can dream can't he...

Grey Watcher
2004-11-18, 09:24 PM
On another note, we have seen Durkon's, Elan's, and Roy's "histories".

Where have we seen Durkon's history? I mean, all we know is that he's in human territory at the behest of Thor (whether Thor directly or his church is still unclear). With Elan and Roy we do at least know a little of their families. Heck, we know just as much about Durkon as we do about Haley.

Yortsed
2004-11-19, 02:33 AM
Well, we do know more about Durkon than we want to know...

Strip #82
"Wow. You know with those short stubby little bodies, you'd never think they had the agility to..." :P
:-*

Can you ever again play a dwarf as pc after this line???

Shatteredtower
2004-11-19, 03:44 AM
Hey, now that I know it's not all dull in dwarfdom, life just got... richer. :D

Sundog
2004-11-19, 10:19 AM
Hey, we know some of Haley's past - her teenage years, at least!

As for D12s, please people, expand your gaming a little! D20 is great, but so are a lot of other games, like Earthdawn, where you'd roll quite a lot of D12s every session.

GeeVee
2004-11-19, 10:25 AM
I don't have a wife, i have a girlfriend. Huge difference.

Oops. my bad.
However, if you're living together the only difference is that she can't take half of your belongings when you break up.

Kashinn
2004-11-19, 11:12 AM
Oops. my bad.
However, if you're living together the only difference is that she can't take half of your belongings when you break up.

Actually the courts are starting to get the term "wild marriage" for two unmarried lovers living together a state similar to a real marriage. Meaning, yes she can take half your stuff...

...at least here in Germany that's happening, don't know about US, but I wouldn't be surprised by it.

(BTW: I don't care, I've been living with my girlfriend for *calculates* 4,5 years now, and it's still awesome. )

Grey Watcher
2004-11-19, 02:53 PM
Actually the courts are starting to get the term "wild marriage" for two unmarried lovers living together a state similar to a real marriage.

Well, in the US (or at least certain states) there is actually an old tradition called a "commonlaw marriage". Basically, if two people have been living together for a certain number of years and have had a child, they are considered to be married, even if they never went and had a formal ceremony.

evileeyore
2004-11-19, 11:09 PM
Where have we seen Durkon's history? I mean, all we know is that he's in human territory at the behest of Thor (whether Thor directly or his church is still unclear). With Elan and Roy we do at least know a little of their families. Heck, we know just as much about Durkon as we do about Haley.

Geez, he's a Dwarf. He already has more backstory than 99% of all Dwarfs I have ever seen roleplayed. Only those played by background novelists like myself ever bother giving Dwarves more backstory than "I didn't fit in, so I left" or "(Insert God Name Here) told me to leave".

Helgya had the best Dwarven backstory I have ever seen. Of course I think she is the first Chaotic Dwarf I've ever seen... Hmmm, might be something there.

--EvilE

SumGuy
2004-11-20, 04:10 AM
Geez, he's a Dwarf. He already has more backstory than 99% of all Dwarfs I have ever seen roleplayed. Only those played by background novelists like myself ever bother giving Dwarves more backstory than "I didn't fit in, so I left" or "(Insert God Name Here) told me to leave".

True, but one of my players had a very good back story:
I (the DM) had already established the lines of succession for the dwarves. The first son of a dwarven noble got most of the glory/money, the second son to serve in the army, the third was to become a cleric, and since dwarven copulation is rare (even in OOTS) any other sons had to basically have to fend for themselves.

This dwarf was supposedly the 23rd son of a dwarven nobleman, and started out with 4 copper to his name. Therefore, he had to adventure or die. ;D

Helgya had the best Dwarven backstory I have ever seen. Of course I think she is the first Chaotic Dwarf I've ever seen... Hmmm, might be something there.

Wouldn't her story be coverd by the "I didn't fit in, so I left" backstory? Sorta?

DrDoom
2004-11-20, 08:57 AM
23rd son? Holy crap, there was a lot of hot Dwarve-on-Dwarve-action going on...

evileeyore
2004-11-20, 09:40 AM
Wouldn't her story be coverd by the "I didn't fit in, so I left" backstory? Sorta?

Exactly, which is what makes it so damn brilliant. It is a great twist on the old classic.

As a side note most "I didn't fit in backstories" are of the 'I didn't want to be a smith/soldier/etc" or the "I am Theif (but yet Lawful/Not Chaotic)".

I have never seen the "I didn't want to be a pampered housewife" backstory anywhere. Not even amongst the Elven backstory cliches.
But then they are all chicks any... mmmm hawt Elf on Elf action... mmmm

Ahem anyway. Backstory time:

My only Dwarven (Half Dwarf/half Demon) Monk character's backstory went as such. He had witnessed his parents killed in a claim jump, and ran away as a youngin (To live with his clan). As a young adult he caught the claim jumper and killed him, then turned himself in (he was Lawful after all). Legally he was allowed to kill the jumper as it was a Feudable offense, but he hadn't filled for feud status or purchased the rights, so had to pay hefty fines to the jumper's Clan. He had no money and was sentence to 50 years Civil Service on the Wall of The World (the wall held the demonlands at bay, very Rokugan like). Him and the other adventures in the party (nonDwarves all, who owed lifedebts to the Dwarven Clans) were drafted to go hunt down some lost Dwarven artifacts.

I liked that character.--EvilE

LordofOran
2004-11-20, 03:11 PM
God, I can't wait for the beginning of the next arc.

Hypothetical question: How did Sabine kill the guard by sticking her hand through him? ??? Kinda clueless here (but then again, I'm always clueless)

Grey Watcher
2004-11-20, 04:15 PM

Hypothetical question: How did Sabine kill the guard by sticking her hand through him? ??? Kinda clueless here (but then again, I'm always clueless)

It's a class ability from her one level of Demented Priest of Khali from the Indiana Jones Sourcebook.

LordofOran
2004-11-20, 05:03 PM
That would explain it, but did we discuss that she was a demented priest of Khali in another topic? I'm new to this site ;D

Grey Watcher
2004-11-20, 05:05 PM
That would explain it, but did we discuss that she was a demented priest of Khali in another topic? I'm new to this site ;D

Nope, I just made up the whole thing right on the spot.

GypsyThorn
2004-11-20, 06:48 PM
Re: 12-sided dice:

I like my D12 because when things get boring (like when other players are role playing and my character isn't there), the dodecahedrons are the best choice for spinning. Heck, no way I could get the tetrahedrons going for more than a second and the icosohedrons are no challenge. The 12 sided dice are just right.

Aedan
2004-11-21, 06:01 AM
23rd son? Holy crap, there was a lot of hot Dwarve-on-Dwarve-action going on...

C'mon, dwarves live a long time. With no birth control and no TV, what could you expect?

DrDoom
2004-11-21, 08:39 AM

Hypothetical question: How did Sabine kill the guard by sticking her hand through him? ??? Kinda clueless here (but then again, I'm always clueless)Well, she is a Succubbus after all (She has Drain Life as ability, and her alignemt matches with Nales), so she just clawed the poor victim (maybe a sneak attack, if she has Rogue levels).

SumGuy
2004-11-21, 04:57 PM
let me clarify:

23rd bastard son. He was the son of a dwarven noble and a concubine, thus haveing even less claim to the cash and glory then the other legit offspring.

This made for some very good adventure hooks and plot twists, because the last thing his "brothers" wanted was to see the PC dwarf get richer and more famous than them.

C'mon, dwarves live a long time. With no birth control and no TV, what could you expect?

Oh yes there was tv! as I recall the evil monster-in-the shadows was able to watch Durkon and Helgya getting it on via closed circut crystal ball.

Doug
2004-11-21, 07:26 PM
Well, in the US (or at least certain states) there is actually an old tradition called a "commonlaw marriage". Basically, if two people have been living together for a certain number of years and have had a child, they are considered to be married, even if they never went and had a formal ceremony.

At least nine states have common-law marriage, since it goes back to before the revolution the Brits may have it also.

Do not count on it taking years. All that is necessarily required is cohabitation, and claiming that you are man and wife. There have been states and laws where checking into a hotel as Mrs. and Mr. Smith was enough unless both people later claimed that it was inadvertent and they didn't know the rules.

Also note that common law marriages in one state ARE marriages in all states.

Grey Watcher
2004-11-21, 07:41 PM
Also note that common law marriages in one state ARE marriages in all states.

Right, thanks to the Full Faith and Credit Clause of the Constitution, which certain legislation in the United States allows states to selectively ignore.

Blackdog
2004-11-22, 01:38 AM
Ah, the town jokes start! :)

Wanderer
2004-11-22, 01:55 AM
I knew it! I KNEW IT! I always knew that "adventurer friendly" look was just a facade...

Oh, and I love the "Missing limbs - 25% off!" sign. ;D

Although... these villagers would be perfectly justified in being terrified of adventurers. I've lost count of the number of taverns we've wrecked/burned down/blown up. Not to mention the time we set half a town on fire...

Aedan
2004-11-22, 03:35 AM
Oh yes there was tv! as I recall the evil monster-in-the shadows was able to watch Durkon and Helgya getting it on via closed circut crystal ball.

Heheh, right, like scrying is available to everyone nowadays? I had to pay 2mil GP to get my Crystal Ball, and that's after several years of price decreasing!

Although... these villagers would be perfectly justified in being terrified of adventurers. I've lost count of the number of taverns we've wrecked/burned down/blown up. Not to mention the time we set half a town on fire...
Not to mention that the average CR of the local wildlife has probably quadrupled to accomodate the presence of the adventurers, there are dozens of high-level sinister figures suddenly hanging around as plot-hooks, and every third villager has now been kidnapped by bandits, struck with a mysterious illness or possessed by evil spirits in order to ensure there's plenty for the adventurers to do once they've spent their gold.

EB
2004-11-22, 07:19 AM
I knew it! I KNEW IT! I always knew that "adventurer friendly" look was just a facade...

Oh, and I love the "Missing limbs - 25% off!" sign. ;D

We did that once. It was the druid's fault.

This comic offers the only explaination as to how commoners can survive on those prices 8)

Pvednes
2004-11-22, 08:23 AM
Heheh, right, like scrying is available to everyone nowadays? I had to pay 2mil GP to get my Crystal Ball, and that's after several years of price decreasing!

Two million?!

You at least got the see invisible; telepathic; dominating; widescreen; screen-in-screen; high definition plasma; cinematic surround sound options in that didn't you? Even then that's a bit high in the price.

Caledonian
2004-11-22, 08:48 AM
Apple: 1 platinum
Tumbleweed: 12 gold

Reattaching a severed limb: priceless.

eldersphinx
2004-11-22, 01:50 PM
Apple: 1 platinum
Tumbleweed: 12 gold

Reattaching a severed limb: priceless.
At those rates, I'd ask the temple of Freya to give me at least 75% off...

Invariel
2004-11-22, 07:45 PM
Of course, for 75% off, you have to have at least 75% still on.

Aerysil1
2004-11-22, 08:12 PM
Drat, I thought they were boarding up and panicking because of random encountners occurring after they arrive.

Anyone ever notice the guards are always 1 level above you, no matter where you are, if you start trouble?

Victor
2004-11-22, 08:44 PM
;D
hehe i'm telling ya giant you have to put this in book form i want to buy it and show it off to my non internet friends!!!

evileeyore
2004-11-22, 09:18 PM
Not to mention that the average CR of the local wildlife has probably quadrupled to accomodate the presence of the adventurers, there are dozens of high-level sinister figures suddenly hanging around as plot-hooks, and every third villager has now been kidnapped by bandits, struck with a mysterious illness or possessed by evil spirits in order to ensure there's plenty for the adventurers to do once they've spent their gold.

COMEDY GOLD!!

You know, this does seem to happen to every town my group visits too...--EvilE

Grey Watcher
2004-11-22, 11:23 PM
I'm probably just giving my overactive imagination a bit of a stretch, but "Ah, what a beutiful morning" followed by a street vendor? Musical reference perhaps? I'm speaking of two musical theatre songs that attempt to depict an idyllic day: "Oh, What a Beautiful Mornin'" from Oklahoma!, and "Who Will Buy?" from Oliver!

GypsyThorn
2004-11-23, 10:37 AM
I'm probably just giving my overactive imagination a bit of a stretch, but "Ah, what a beutiful morning" followed by a street vendor? Musical reference perhaps? I'm speaking of two musical theatre songs that attempt to depict an idyllic day: "Oh, What a Beautiful Mornin'" from Oklahoma!, and "Who Will Buy?" from Oliver!

And don't forget, from Fiddler on the Roof, "Oy, What a Beautiful Morning! (I Wonder What's Going to Go Wrong Now?)" That's usually what I'm thinking when my DM tells me everything looks normal...

SumGuy
2004-11-23, 11:18 AM
And don't forget, from Fiddler on the Roof, "Oy, What a Beautiful Morning! (I Wonder What's Going to Go Wrong Now?)" That's usually what I'm thinking when my DM tells me everything looks normal...

I usually leave the whole "causing trouble when everything's normal" to my players. At LEAST one of them is allways willing to do something stupid. Allways.

Kashinn
2004-11-23, 11:37 AM
I usually leave the whole "causing trouble when everything's normal" to my players. At LEAST one of them is allways willing to do something stupid. Allways.

Yeah... Just last session: Our groups (female) thief runs around this slave-hunters town on her own. She sees a guy with a fat purse and 5 guards. She tries to pick his pocket, and succeeds - but he notices her. She starts running away - he chases her. Fortunately he is wearing heavy armor and can't run as fast as she can. Unfortunately he has a big two-handed axe, which he throws at her (2*D12+9 for some beserker rage stuff). More luck than she deserves, he misses her by 2 points - the axe buries itself beside her in the wall.
...and she tries (successfully!) to take that too. So off she is, with this guys money and weapon, yelling "Thanks for the free axe!"...
I bet some money, that we will meet the sucker again and we have to bail her out of some serious trouble -- again!

Grey Watcher
2004-11-23, 12:04 PM

Ummm, but that's not a song, is it...?

GypsyThorn
2004-11-23, 01:04 PM
Ummm, but that's not a song, is it...?

Of course it's a song! I just renewed my Poetic License last week!

Woolysock
2004-11-24, 03:12 AM
<delurks>

Hey, we know some of Haley's past - her teenage years, at least!

As for D12s, please people, expand your gaming a little! D20 is great, but so are a lot of other games, like Earthdawn, where you'd roll quite a lot of D12s every session.

When playing Earthdawn, our group would try to get past that step as quickly as possible to get to the SO much better 2d6 step.

As for common law marriages, Canada inherited those from Britain, and it requires living together for a number of years, but its automatic. I just wonder how the whole gay marriage thing will affect that...

but...but we were only roommates in college... ;D

Kashinn
2004-11-24, 09:14 AM
If you "label" your living together a "flat-sharing community" you don't have the "threat" of an impeding common law marriage, at least in Germany.

The_Fallen
2004-11-25, 01:16 AM
Well...#123 it's up on the website...JEJEJEJE!!!

That will add more firewood to V's Gender debate....

EnderAK
2004-11-25, 01:35 AM
Indeed... is (s)he actually female, or just the one Haley trusts the most? In any case, I've always considered her female, and I'm sticking to it.

Malitice
2004-11-25, 01:42 AM
The giant refuses to say... but seeing how the other are most definetly male and they were dogpiling on the bed to listen to the conversation I would trust v much faster.

Wanderer
2004-11-25, 02:43 AM
Indeed... is (s)he actually female, or just the one Haley trusts the most? In any case, I've always considered her female, and I'm sticking to it.

Don't start that here! If you do, you'll have the rabid hordes descend as people like me come in to tell you that V is obviously male. ;D

The fact of the matter, however, is that it doesn't matter. V is simply the most trustworthy in this case. I mean, just LOOK at all those guys piling up against the wall to eavesdrop! For shame.

Elethiomel
2004-11-25, 02:54 AM
Don't start that here! If you do, you'll have the rabid hordes descend as people like me come in to tell you that V is obviously male. ;D

The fact of the matter, however, is that it doesn't matter. V is simply the most trustworthy in this case. I mean, just LOOK at all those guys piling up against the wall to eavesdrop! For shame.

It might just be me, but I think the Giant is just teasing us with this strip. Still, comedy gold!

Prince_Stefano
2004-11-25, 03:10 AM
What kind of female elf would have a name like Vaarsuvius?

Anyway I thought it weird that Durkon came before Belkar to listen, I'da thought Belky'd be the first one!

SpitwolF
2004-11-25, 03:57 AM
I don't know any female elves.... i don't any elves at all for that matter. ::)

peteyfrogboy
2004-11-25, 06:36 AM
What kind of female elf would have a name like Vaarsuvius?

Anyway I thought it weird that Durkon came before Belkar to listen, I'da thought Belky'd be the first one!

Clearly, he failed his Listen check. :)

Kashinn
2004-11-25, 06:44 AM
And he didn't see the others gathering because he failed a spot check! How could that happen to the otherwise oh-so-perceptive Belkar???

Attention: Irony included in the above post!
;D ;D ;D ;D

DrDoom
2004-11-25, 07:51 AM
The OOTS is a really lechery party, I mean they all oogled over Haley when she had the "Wardrobe malfunction", and now four of them dogpile on the same bed, for crying out loud! I think Haley knows why she has chosen V, since he is too occupied with the arcane stuff to try anything...

Oh, and do you notice that Elan is the first to amile when they notice that V and Haley are talking?

Oh, and Roy is the only one to keep that worried facce all along...

Oh, and haley really has teh highest Int/Wis score of the party....

Caledonian
2004-11-25, 08:48 AM
Everything was great, up until the "don't twist them" part.

How can you twist a spherical gemstone?

Crimson_Eyes
2004-11-25, 09:57 AM
#123 - very funny :)

Adghar
2004-11-25, 03:19 PM
I think the Giant's being sexist again. I hope he doesn't get pelted by indignant women.

Blackdog
2004-11-25, 05:52 PM
Oh, and do you notice that Elan is the first to smile when they notice that V and Haley are talking?

Yes, that's very interesting...either Elan is too brain damaged to be jealous, or he knows that V is a girl and is hoping for some lesbian action!

Ebon_Drake
2004-11-25, 06:02 PM
Very funny strip, but it did just change my view on the Vaarsuvius's gender, especially as none of the guys seemed particularly shocked to hear Vaarsuvius talking about his/her "set".

Plus I'm loving the fact that Roy's still wearing Xykon's crown as a necklace. Very bling.

DrDoom
2004-11-25, 07:37 PM
Hehe, I didnt even notice...

Cool details!

Prince_Stefano
2004-11-25, 09:26 PM
none of the guys seemed particularly shocked to hear Vaarsuvius talking about his/her "set"

They didn't seem to notice much about any of the comments, really.

MANBOOBS'D! (ew)

Circon
2004-11-26, 12:40 AM
This is now very politically incorrect.::) But it's even more darned funny!:D
The Giant can get away with it. At this rate, we can stand some un-PCness.

Kashinn
2004-11-26, 08:45 AM
This is now very politically incorrect.::) But it's even more darned funny!:D
The Giant can get away with it. At this rate, we can stand some un-PCness.

Damn! Never use "PC" for "political correctness" in a rpg-infested forum such as this! I was thinking for 5 Minutes, what the hell you mean by "un-PlayerCharacter-ness"! ;D

Adghar
2004-11-26, 11:20 PM
Wait, I have a theory as to why she said "Don't twist them, or anything". Because maybe, if you twist them, you activate the super secret Haley family power that destroys ALL LIVINGKIND!

Arian
2004-11-26, 11:31 PM
I think the Giant's being sexist again. I hope he doesn't get pelted by indignant women.

Sexist? I don't see any sexism - well, not directed against women, anyway.

He's certainly not being very complimentary to men, having all the guys pile up against the wall to listen to what they imagine is going on in the other room.

But if a man wants to be sexist about men, it's scarcely up to a woman to protest.... :P

Matuse
2004-11-27, 01:33 AM
I need to get me one of those elven divining rods...there might be treasure in the floorboards of my apartment.

Eloco
2004-11-27, 02:03 AM
rabbit rabbit

SpitwolF
2004-11-27, 03:16 AM
*pinch* *punch* First day of the month! ::)

Martin
2004-11-27, 03:46 AM
Sir Roy Bluehilt?

And anyone wanting to bet that the crown is the phylactery?

Fsi-Dib
2004-11-27, 04:32 AM
Xykon was a lich. Where's Xykon's phylactery? Could it be that crown? I think not. (Since they should bash it or something)

Rhuna_Coppermane
2004-11-27, 05:20 AM
Hokay, I think it's a given now that Xykon is not defeated. Somewhat inconvenienced, I think, but not out. And there's still the lurker in the shadows. This should get interesting.

GypsyThorn
2004-11-27, 05:43 AM
Still from the future:

ShadowDragon, said, back in October:

Hey, tell me. Is Howard Taylor still doing Schlock Mercenary?

I'm sorry, ShadowDragon, there is no mention of Howard Taylor in any historical record. Apparently he was included in the data purge of 2010, when every storage device in the world had to be erased to make room for more mp3 and mpeg files.

And from the past:

What's going on with the thing behind the veil of darkness? Did it run away with Red Cape? Will we ever see it in the light of day? (or the light of a torch?) Time will tell...

Oops, just realized I actually should know the answer being 17 years in the future. I guess it just wasn't important enough to remember. Like that Taylor guy...

Aerysil1
2004-11-27, 05:56 AM
I saw a SWORD in that treasure pile!

From the coloration, I'd say it's a frost sword...

evileeyore
2004-11-27, 10:14 AM
The OOTS is a really lechery party, I mean they all oogled over Haley when she had the "Wardrobe malfunction", and now four of them dogpile on the same bed, for crying out loud! I think Haley knows why she has chosen V, since he is too occupied with the arcane stuff to try anything...

Exactly my thoughts. Except I still don't see V as a male or a female.

Oh, and do you notice that Elan is the first to amile when they notice that V and Haley are talking?

Yeah. He wants hawt babe on babe action. Or even babe on bishonen action. Elan is a bard after all, those musically inclined folks tend to be freaky...

Oh, and Roy is the only one to keep that worried facce all along...

Probably one half prudish, one half concern over party dynamics. And one hlaf worried they would be caught overhearing that which man was not meant to overhear, atleast with out paying for admission...

Oh, and haley really has teh highest Int/Wis score of the party....

No. She has the highest Dex. However she is the only one with any real ranks in Sense Motive. Atleast enough to discern motives through a thin common inn wall...

I stand by my claims though. Its not the mage's fault--EvilE

Caledonian
2004-11-27, 06:04 PM
The conversation would actually make a bit more sense if we were talking about a male... but I digress.

It seems our adventurers are in room 2B and Not 2B. Now, if Haley forgets which room she's in, that will be the question.

Pharazon
2004-11-28, 09:44 AM
The conversation would actually make a bit more sense if we were talking about a male... but I digress.

"I'm surprised you don't have your own set, V." "I do, actually, but they are not nearly so large."

I'd say it would make more sense if the others thought V was female.

Anyway, good comic. Elan seems really interested... I wonder how long it will be before he and Haley finally get together. Probably a few more years.

Caledonian
2004-11-28, 10:43 AM
Yes, but it would completely explain the "don't twist them" thing.

I don't think Elan is all that interested in buying the cow. He'd jump at the chance to get the milk for free, though.

Aralen
2004-11-28, 08:55 PM
Yes, that's very interesting...either Elan is too brain damaged to be jealous, or he knows that V is a girl and is hoping for some lesbian action!

or maybe The Giant make a mistake ???.... I like the option numbrer two.

Wanderer
2004-11-29, 01:25 AM
:o Why haven't I ever thought of this when I'm just a few points short?!

"Psst. Because you always play 'good' characters."

Details... ;)

Lilly
2004-11-29, 01:38 AM
"Help! Help! I don't want to be a hat!"

I LOVE the differing responses to having gone up a level, from Nice! to Exxxxxxcellent.

Aerysil1
2004-11-29, 01:54 AM
So DING is also used in DnD to signify raising a level?

EQ has its influences, doesn't it? WoW actually has more of a BOOF.

pumpkinetics
2004-11-29, 01:56 AM
Hooray! the Order of the stick go up a level for the first time in 112 strips!

Sadly, no more sneak attack for haley (she got the bonus last time) but a bonus feat for Roy! Yay!

But oh, the horrors of being that few hundred xp short of being up a level. Oh, the shame.

Adghar
2004-11-29, 02:02 AM
I bet this is discrimination to kobolds; Where else would he fall behind in XP? While he single-handedly killed the goblin Ninja and (almost) single-handedly killed the Chimera??

So DING is also used in DnD to signify raising a level?

EQ has its influences, doesn't it? WoW actually has more of a BOOF.

Right. And FFXI was more like a KSH VWOING vwoing vwoing DOO DOO DEE DOO, DOO DOOO DOO-DO-DOO! and Diablo II was more of a BANG! and NWN was more like a *twinkle*

SumGuy
2004-11-29, 02:07 AM
Giant, when will we be able to buy an Elan hat from cafepress.com? I'd be willing to shell out 30 bucks for it...

Adghar
2004-11-29, 02:13 AM
I don't believe you caught the reference. This is a reference to Belkar killing and "hat"ting the Linear Guild kobold by placing the upper half of the kobold skull on his head.

Either you've misunderstood or you're a very very sick man. Or, y'know... you could just be trying to make some sort of... obvious... joke... thingy... But then you don't have any sort of smiley after your post...

ShadowDragon8685
2004-11-29, 02:31 AM
Sexist? I don't see any sexism - well, not directed against women, anyway.

He's certainly not being very complimentary to men, having all the guys pile up against the wall to listen to what they imagine is going on in the other room.

But if a man wants to be sexist about men, it's scarcely up to a woman to protest....

Why is it sexist? About 80% of men *would* pile on to that side of the room to hear what they thought was lesbian action going down.

I would. :P

Re: Help! HELP! I don't wanna be a hat!!!

That's going to be hilarious. If Belkar DOES kill Elan, then he'll go up a level - and Elan will go down one when he gets Raise Dead'd. And then Elan will be royally pissed, and Haley will show the little rat-bastard just what Sneak Attack is good for in a Coup de Grace...

And then when Belkar gets raise dead'd, he'll kill Haley, and Elan will kill him... And it becomes a nasty, party-destroying cycle.

Until the DM steps in, smites them all, and asks if anyone needs to leave the game. :P

Shatteredtower
2004-11-29, 03:03 AM
Ah, the level gag -- never my favourite. I wonder if they'll meet up with a lot of level draining undead if this series runs long enough?

Judging by V's comment/expression, I'm wondering if someone just gained access to 6th level spells.

Arian
2004-11-29, 03:41 AM
Why is it sexist? About 80% of men *would* pile on to that side of the room to hear what they thought was lesbian action going down.
<shrug> If you say so.

Which means the Giant wasn't being sexist about men or women.

Abelard
2004-11-29, 11:02 PM
This oughta learn me...

I read today's strip at work today. I laughed so hard that I started choking and coughing thanks to the stupid chest cold that I have, and in the five minutes it took me to stop hacking, three people came by to see if I was alright. :-[

Once I stopped wheezing, I thought about the strip again. And I re-read it. Whoops. Rinse, lather, and repeat.

But, damn, that was good. Curse you, Giant!!

SumGuy
2004-11-30, 12:17 AM
But then you don't have any sort of smiley after your post...

er...ahem, pardon me.

:)

Sorry folks, throught I put a happy, smiley face next to the "disturbing" post regarding my choice of headgear. And yes Adghar, I did get the reference.

ScreamerSimon
2004-11-30, 09:15 AM
Hi folks, this is it, my first post in this forum. The leveling strip is awesome, but has anyone noticed that is has no title (see archives)?? What might it be? Has the Giant cancelled the titles? Is there life in outer space? Will Trigak ever come back?

Aidan305
2004-11-30, 01:02 PM
I believe that the title of the strip is "Ding".

Lilly
2004-11-30, 01:06 PM
Hi folks, this is it, my first post in this forum. The leveling strip is awesome, but has anyone noticed that is has no title (see archives)?? What might it be? Has the Giant cancelled the titles? Is there life in outer space? Will Trigak ever come back?

Hello! And welcome to Zombie-Minion-hood! Please leave all expectations at the door along with your brain.

Oh and the title dosen't normally appear for about a day, or whenever Giant remembers to put it up.

And I think that Trigak is very throughly dead. And if it did come back it's staying away.

GeeVee
2004-12-01, 04:17 AM
"Help! Help! I don't want to be a hat!"

I LOVE the differing responses to having gone up a level, from Nice! to Exxxxxxcellent.

I agree, although I do have a hard time picturing Varsuuvius as Mr. Burns. ;)