PDA

View Full Version : The Bramble Beast

Deathtouched
2008-02-10, 01:44 PM
Okay, so I'm new and I've always played a totally different type of gaming, but I've found that I can convert most of what I did then into D&D. So this is me trying to convert one of my first creatures to complete D&D...:smallsmile:

Bramble Beast (formerly known as "Achako")
Type: Plant
Size: Small
CR: 1/3
Hit Dice: 1d8+2 (6 hp average)+10?
Initiative: +1 (Dex)
Speed: 40 ft
AC: 15
Attack: +1/+1 (1d4, 2 claws)
Special Attacks:
Special Qualities: Plant (special), Darkvision, Camouflage, Kin Call,
Alignment: CN
Saves: Fort +4, Ref +2, Will +0
Abilities: Str 12, Dex 13, Con 14, Int 6, Wis 10, Cha 4
Skills: Hide +7, Move Silently +7, Listen +4
Feats: Stealthy
Advancement: 3 HD

Plant (special) - immune to poison, polymorph, critical hits, (special: still subject to sleep, mind-influencing effects)

Darkvision - 60 feet

Camouflage - as long as the Bramble Beast is in a forest area it gets +4 to Hide and Move Silently checks. Appears to be part of a tree or underbrush.

Kin Call - as a full round action, the Bramble Beast may let loose a resounding shriek. Any other Bramble Beasts within 300 feet have an 80% chance to respond to the call and go to the shrieker.

I'm sure I've done this completely wrong...
If anyone has any other examples of monsters they can post, that would be great! :smallbiggrin:

FlyMolo
2008-02-10, 07:21 PM
I kinda like this. Interesting. Weird that a plant gets a faster land speed than a human being, though.

Deathtouched
2008-02-10, 07:34 PM
And now I will use this Homebrew Guide thing that I should have used from the start. And some fluff stuff.

The lost travelers are running through the woods in the depths of night. All three of them are breathing heavily and they continually stumble over roots and bushes. But they keep running, occasionally glancing back into the darkness behind them. They reach a clearing and stop, unsure if it is safe. A high-pitched shriek rings out in the night air and a sinister rustling comes from the trees around them. Suddenly, a pair of claws appearing to grow from the nearest tree skewers the neck of one of the travelers. He falls dead at the feet of his friends, thorny bits of bramble embedded in his neck. The two remaining travelers immediately begin to run, but it is too late. All around the clearing, dark, twisted shapes spring out of the trees. In the darkness, the creatures are partly obscured, but their bodies appear to be covered in thorns and small vines. The quickly-moving monsters leap upon the hapless travelers. Their claws tear through flesh and leave the two dead. More of the creatures. At least five of the creatures surround the bodies, tearing them up with their sharp claws. Then the thorn-covered beasts begin to feast.

Bramble Beast
Size/Type Small Plant
HD 1d8+2 (6.5 HP)
Speed 40 ft. (8 squares); Climb 30 ft.
Init: +1
AC 15; touch 12; flat-footed 14
(+1 Size, +1 Dex, +3 Natural)
BAB +0; Grapple -3
Attack Claws +1 melee (1d4, 19-20/2, +1)
Full-Attack 2 Claws +1 (1d4, critical range/critical multiplier +additional damage)
Space 5 ft.; Reach 5 ft.
Special Attacks None
Special Qualities Plant (special): Immune to Poison/Polymorph - not subject to Critical Hits, Darkvision 60 ft, Camouflage, Kin Call
Saves Fort +3 Ref +1 Will -1
Abilities Str 12, Dex 13, Con 14, Int 5, Wis 8, Cha 4
Skills Hide +7, Move Silently +7
Feats Stealthy
Environment Forest
Organization Pack (4-6)
Challenge Rating 3 1/2
Treasure Standard
Alignment Chaotic Neutral
Advancement 1-3 HD Small Plant; Favored Class None
Level Adjustment None

Plant (special) - Bramble beasts are not fully plants, as they were given animal characteristics in their creation. The unstable balance of their bodies means that they are susceptible to sleep, paralysis, stunning, and mind-influencing effects. But their plant heritage ensures that they are immune to poison and polymorph and also not subject to Critical Hits.

Darkvision - Darkvision up to 60 ft

Camouflage - The bramble beast's body is mostly composed of twigs and thorns. As long as it is in a forest area, it gets +4 to Hide and Move Silently checks.

Kin Call - As a full-round action, the bramble beasts may let out a resounding shriek as a call for aid. Other bramble beasts within 300 ft have an 80% chance of responding to the call to going to the location of the shrieker.

The only thing that doesn't seem right is the CR. I used the second formula on the Guide to Homebrewing. Too high?