PDA

View Full Version : Less Cheesy Chain

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-02-10, 02:35 PM
I'm joining a gestalt game next week, and I'm pretty much going to be the melee power of the group. (Until now, all they've had is a couple of spellcasters and a dwarven monk) I'm looking to make something that can lockdown and control a large area, but the spiked chain is a bit too cheesy for my tastes. Are there any other(preferably finessable) weapons with a 10ft reach that I can use at 5ft, or am I going to have to get short haft?

bugsysservant
2008-02-10, 02:49 PM
I think there is a weapon listed in the DMG known as the Kusari-Gama that is essentially a light version of the Spiked Chain. I don't know if its finesseable.

Zincorium
2008-02-10, 02:56 PM
I think there is a weapon listed in the DMG known as the Kusari-Gama that is essentially a light version of the Spiked Chain. I don't know if its finesseable.

It's a light weapon, it's automatically finessable. However, it's pretty much exactly as cheesy as the spiked chain is.

To the OP: the 10ft and 5ft thing is why the spiked chain is considered cheesy, everything else is just gravy (essentially making the spiked chain metaphorical poutine).

You can accomplish the dual threat radius by wielding a polearm with reach and also having spiked armor or improved unarmed strike.

Devils_Advocate
2008-02-10, 03:24 PM
The whip can be used to disarm or trip anyone within 15 feet. But it doesn't threaten and using it provokes attacks of opportunity.

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-02-10, 05:40 PM
In that case, are there any weapons with reach other than the chain that are finessable?

Devils_Advocate
2008-02-12, 09:08 PM
You can use Weapon Finesse with whips, too. I probably should have mentioned that.

Nebo_
2008-02-12, 09:30 PM
The Spinning Sword from Secrets of Sarlona threatens 5' and 10' with a 19-20x2 critical, and is a one-handed weapon, so you can power attack with is.

ashmanonar
2008-02-12, 09:46 PM
You can use Weapon Finesse with whips, too. I probably should have mentioned that.

Don't even get the poor poster's hopes up. That's just cruel.

Now, if you start talking about Nagaika or Mighty Nagaika, then you start hitting something interesting.

Of course, there's the whole exotic proficiency required, thus wasting a feat slot.

I always thought that all whips (Nagaika, dagger whip, etc) should be under the same proficiency, because adding some spikes to a whip doesn't make it not a whip.

Ninjalitude
2008-02-12, 09:47 PM

Ah yes, I'd definitely choose this over the standard spiked chain, it is pretty much the same but it's one handed (semi-cheese-gish-karusi-gama/ wand wielder anyone?).

Aquillion
2008-02-12, 10:16 PM
Idly curious...

Is there any way to threaten with a whip? Is there some feat, feat chain, or whip-master PRC that lets you do it?

Leon
2008-02-12, 10:50 PM
Iron Kingdoms Character Guide has the Aldar's Chain - essentially a Gaff spear with a length of chain on the butt (its a Exotic weapon) and the Light Chain - basicaly a regular length of chain thats good for tripping people with

Damage is d6/d6 and d4