PDA

View Full Version : [Race] One Of Many: The Dant-Caste

Fax Celestis
2008-02-10, 05:45 PM
The Dant
http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/ff_gallery/50111.jpg

The Dant are part of the leader-caste of the Many. They are larger than the Mil and are less psionically capable. Despite this, they are still formidable opponents, partially due to their extra set of arms and their wings. Like the Mil, the Dant are divided into three subcastes: Sky, Storm, and Star. Their eyes glow different colors depending on subcaste: yellow for Air, electric blue for Storm, and white for Star. The Star caste is the only caste of the Many whose members have genders, and they are tasked with forming new colonies.

Dant Player Characters
+2 Dexterity, -2 Charisma
Medium : Dant of all castes are Medium-sized.
Monstrous Humanoid: As monstrous humanoids, Dant are immune to spells and effects that specifically target humanoids.
Racial Hit Dice: Dant-caste start with two Monstrous Humanoid racial hit dice, essentially making them second-level characters. This grants them 2d8 HP, +2 BAB, +0 Fortitude, +3 Reflex, +3 Will, and skill points equal to (2+Int)x5. Their racial class skills are Autohypnosis, Craft, Gather Information, Listen, Spot, and Survival.
Speed: Dant-caste base land speed is 20 feet.
Compound Eyes: Dant-caste have compound eyes, which give a Dant a +2 racial bonus on Spot checks. In addition, these compound eyes grant a Dant darkvision out to 60'.
Hive Mind: All Dant within 30' of another Mil, Dant, or Dach are in constant telepathic communication. If one is aware of a particular danger, they all are. If one in a group is not flat-footed, none of them are.
Limited Flight: A Dant can use its wings to glide, negating all damage from a fall from any height and allowing for 20' of forward travel for each 5' of descent. Dant glide at a speed of 40' (average maneuverability). A Dant cannot hover while gliding.

When a Dant reaches 5 hit dice, it becomes capable of flight at a speed of 40' (average maneuverability). A Dant cannot fly while under a medium or heavier load or while exhausted. A Dant can safely fly in this fashion for a number of rounds equal to their Constitution modifier (minimum 1). They can exert themselves to fly up to twice as long, but are fatigued at the end of the flight. Dant are similarly fatigued if they spend more than 5 minutes per HD per day flying.

When a Dant reaches 10 hit dice, it becomes more adept at controlling itself while in flight. Dant with 10 hit dice can fly using this ability for any amount of time without becoming fatigued.

A Dant with 5 or more hit dice can make a dive attack while flying. A dive attack works like a charge, but the Dant must move at least 30' and descend at least 10'. Such a dive attack is only effective while the Dant is wielding a piercing weapon; if the attack hits, it deals double damage. A Dant with 5 or more hit dice can also use the run action while flying, provided it flies in a straight line.
Four Arms: Dant have four arms, and thus can take the Multiweapons Fighting feat instead of the Two-Weapon Fighting feat. Dant do not qualify for the Multiattack feat without natural attacks.
Subcaste: Dant are divided into three subcastes: Sky, Storm, and Star. Each caste has a separate set of benefits as listed below.
Sky Caste:
Chitin: Sky-caste have chitinous exoskeletons. They receive a +1 bonus to natural armor class.
Sharp Eyes: Sky-caste have sharp vision and are better able to locate targets from afar. They receive a +1 bonus to attack rolls with ranged weapons.
Plunging Shot: Sky-caste who use ranged weapons from more than 20' above their intended target deal an additional 1d6 points of damage on a successful hit.
Storm Caste:
+2 Strength, -2 Intelligence. These are in addition to the stat adjustments provided above.
Chitin: Storm-caste have chitinous exoskeletons that are resistant to electricity. They receive a +1 bonus to natural armor class and have resistance to electricity 5.
Natural Weapons: Storm-caste have four claw attacks that deal 1d4 damage each, as well as a bite attack that deals 1d6 damage.
Star Caste:
-2 Strength, +2 Wisdom. These are in addition to the stat adjustments provided above.
Chitin: Star-caste have chitinous exoskeletons. They receive a +1 bonus to natural armor class.
Networked Manifesting: A Star-caste who manifests a touch-range power or casts a touch-range spell with the harmless descriptor can target any creature currently within 30' and part of its hivemind (see the hivemind ability above).
Automatic languages: Common, Auran
Bonus Languages: Aquan (for Sky and Storm castes), Celestial (for Star caste), Infernal (for Star caste), Abyssal (for Star caste)
Favored Class: Ranger (for Sky caste), Barbarian (for Storm caste), Cleric (for Star caste)

Jaerc
2008-02-12, 08:32 PM
Nitpick. I would rename Networked Manifesting to something less anachronistic. Otherwise I like it, as well as the other Many.

Eighth_Seraph
2008-02-12, 08:59 PM
Very, Very nice. This is an adventure just waiting to happen. The only thing that strikes me as odd is that a creature with five natural attacks has no level adjustment. Are the creature levels really enough of a balancing factor for the Multiattack tree?

Fax Celestis
2008-02-13, 01:34 AM
Very, Very nice. This is an adventure just waiting to happen. The only thing that strikes me as odd is that a creature with five natural attacks has no level adjustment. Are the creature levels really enough of a balancing factor for the Multiattack tree?

Yes. First, natural attacks are not as good as weapons: they're harder to enchant for one, and for another you don't get iterative strikes with them. Secondly, the vermin HD are pretty lame (1/2 BAB, one good save, 2+Int skills? Ick.), and they can't be bought off the way LA can.

tyckspoon
2008-02-13, 01:39 AM
Yes. First, natural attacks are not as good as weapons: they're harder to enchant for one, and for another you don't get iterative strikes with them. Secondly, the vermin HD are pretty lame (1/2 BAB, one good save, 2+Int skills? Ick.), and they can't be bought off the way LA can.

You should probably update that, then. They're a Monstrous Humanoid as currently written, which are a lot less lame.

Eighth_Seraph
2008-02-14, 10:34 PM
Right; that was my concern, too. Full BAB, two good saves, and (still underwhelming) 2+Int skills.

I'd also like to cast my vote in favor of putting the word 'underwhelming' in the forum terminology FAQ.

Cormac
2008-02-14, 11:29 PM
I agree this seems a litte over powered. Monstrous humanoid hit dice are pretty grand, and even though you dont get iterative attacks, you get all your natural attacks at your highest attack bonus. Imagine a rogue one of these things (so much sneak attack it would make your head spin), plus the bonuses from their subcaste, plus flight (though i think the gem of this is the way that you limited flight-it may be a little complicated for some players, but i like it)... I think they are overpowered, but not too much. If I were DMing, I would put a +1 LA on it.

Fax Celestis
2008-02-14, 11:30 PM
Right; that was my concern, too. Full BAB, two good saves, and (still underwhelming) 2+Int skills.

I'd also like to cast my vote in favor of putting the word 'underwhelming' in the forum terminology FAQ.

Hm. So, if I actually made it Vermin HD instead of Monstrous Humanoid HD, would you still say it needs the +1 LA, or no?

Proven_Paradox
2008-02-15, 12:05 AM
Casting touch spells at 30' on other Many allies is a -Big Deal.- Especially for a favored class cleric. That said, golden rule of casters; never give up caster levels. I'm not sure how "overpowered" this really is. I will say that Star Caste is clearly stronger than the other two. If you switch to vermin HD for all of them, I would recommend you add something more to the first two casts for the loss of BAB; barbarian and ranger need their BAB. The loss wouldn't hurt the star caste as much since they're casting, but it'd be a major blow to the first two, who I think are already perhaps (emphasis: perhaps) on the weak side. Bump them down to vermin and they certainly are.

Star is at about the right place with vermin HD I think. You might consider just bumping them down to vermin and letting the others keep MHHD.

Eighth_Seraph
2008-02-15, 12:10 AM
As vermin, I would definitely not grant an LA. Two caster levels are gone, which is already enough of a balancing factor for any caster, and the +2 to Will saves is gone, which will be a blow to the warrior sub-castes. Looks good to me from there.

Besides, Vermin just seems to fit the flavor of these guys so much more than monstrous humanoid, methinks.

magic_unlocked
2008-02-15, 02:55 PM
Vermin do seem to apply here. Perhaps for the melee-versions of these guys, you could bump up their strength to make up for the lost BAB? Perhaps just an additional +2 str?