PDA

View Full Version : The Price is Right

OOTS_Rules 2
2008-02-10, 06:54 PM
What would the price of a primitive flying machine be?

BRC
2008-02-10, 06:56 PM
The Arms and Equipment guide has Hang gliders, ornithopters, zepplins and Dirgibles in it.

Or, if you don't have that, a heavy catapult is 800g and can serve the same purpose.

OOTS_Rules 2
2008-02-10, 06:57 PM
OK, a hang glider would be good. How much would it cost?

BRC
2008-02-10, 06:58 PM
OK, a hang glider would be good. How much would it cost?
Dunno, check arms and Equipment guide, It was preety cheap though, I think like 500 or somthing, though you needed to start high up.

Unless, you buy both a hang glider and a catapult.

OOTS_Rules 2
2008-02-10, 07:05 PM
I don't think the group would appreciate dragging around a catapult just so I can obtain the gift of flight, but I will try the idea.. Then it wil only take some minor adjustments to the glider so I can have a no-handed hang glider! That way, I can slowly and surely kill my opponents with grenade-like weapons from above. It will only take one level in Bard and I can then craft alchemists fire. . . I believe I have a plan.

BRC
2008-02-10, 07:07 PM
I don't think the group would appreciate dragging around a catapult just so I can obtain the gift of flight. I'll need a bag of holding as well. Then it wil only take some minor adjustments so I can have a no-handed hang glider! That way, I can slowly and surely kill my opponents with grenade-like weapons from above. It will only take one level in Bard and I can then craft alchemists fire. . . I believe I have a plan.
Well, check the Arms and equipment guide for rules on hang gliders, namely, you can't go up in them and have limited control.

Irreverent Fool
2008-02-10, 07:10 PM
If you want to fly and rain down death, play a warlock.

OOTS_Rules 2
2008-02-10, 07:10 PM
Well, check the Arms and equipment guide for rules on hang gliders, namely, you can't go up in them and have limited control.

There goes my idea of a grendade-throwing type character raining death from above with his dragon shaman breath weapon. Is there any way I could salvage some of the concept?

Irreverant Fool: I don't know the stats of that class, and I am looking for a concept that works with Dragon Shaman (Level 4, so not too expensive)

BRC
2008-02-10, 07:17 PM
There goes my idea of a grendade-throwing type character raining death from above with his dragon shaman breath weapon. Is there any way I could salvage some of the concept?

Irreverant Fool: I don't know the stats of that class, and I am looking for a concept that works with Dragon Shaman (Level 4, so not too expensive)
20,000 GP for a carpet of flying
You could buy a giant eagle (A trained one is 3500 if you got it as an egg, or 5000 if you got it as a chick before giving it to the trainer), or 4000 GP for a trained hypogriff, unless you have a good handle animal check, in which case you can train it yourself, saving 1000gp (6 weeks of work and DC25). buy an exotic saddle, get some ranks in ride, and Boom, youre off.

CASTLEMIKE
2008-02-10, 07:36 PM
Broom of Flying is only 17,000 gp which could be prorated down to 1/day for 2,400 gp using the permanent item to limited item mechanic.

A magical hang glider utilizing either Levitate spell for a permanent item would probably be best. (Feather Fall might work)

Cheapest mechanic would proably be a Tenser's Floating Disc centered on top of the Hang glider usable 1/day for for up to 1 hour for 300 gp market based on the Faith Token mechanic if the DM allowed it to work that way (depends on how the mechanic would be applied in game). It will normally float 3' off the ground and hold up to 100 pounds as a level 1 spell which would be huge a glider (limited anti gravity effect sort of like a magical helium balloon effect).

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/floatingDisk.htm

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/floatingDisk.htm

Could be nice for military and mercenary aeriel scouts.

UglyPanda
2008-02-10, 07:41 PM
I think there's a item that gives unlimited personal flight in the Magic Item Compendium. It's called wings of something...