PDA

View Full Version : 5th temperature band: Freezing Cold

Icewalker
2008-02-10, 08:13 PM
In Sandstorm statistics are given for a temperature band over 'Unearthly Heat.' Burning Heat is a pretty vicious temperature. I want to do the same for cold, as I feel that it wouldn't be too extreme actually to have a temperature band below -50 (Just because the coldest places on Earth have an average temperature of about -50, doesn't mean we can't run into lower. I mean, the lowest recorded temperature on earth was -121.)

Freezing Cold: Eventually, temperatures go below Unearthly Cold and actually reach low enough that unprotected things can spontaneously freeze. At around -100 degrees one's blood freezes in their veins, causing death almost immediately without extreme measures of protection.

In a region of this temperature band, (also known as a cold dominant area), characters take 3d10 cold damage per round. In addition, those wearing metal armor or coming into contact with metal are afflicted as if by a Chill Metal spell (which lasts as long as the character remains in the area of Freezing Cold). Generally, non-supernatural methods of protection against cold offer no protection in areas of freezing cold.

Out of flavor-tastic curiosity, does anybody know or care to guess at what temperature blood freezes? According to Wikipedia, they freeze the plasma in people's blood (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fresh_frozen_plasma) to use for medicine, but it is apparently only frozen at about 0 degrees F. So at what temperature do you think it would freeze in someone's veins?

Fax Celestis
2008-02-10, 08:15 PM
Out of flavor-tastic curiosity, does anybody know or care to guess at what temperature blood freezes? According to Wikipedia, they freeze the plasma in people's blood (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fresh_frozen_plasma) to use for medicine, but it is apparently only frozen at about 0 degrees F. So at what temperature do you think it would freeze in someone's veins?

It'd have to counteract the temperature emitted by the body. I'd venture somewhere in the vicinity of -100.

Icewalker
2008-02-10, 08:20 PM
Edited to add that. Thanks.

Edit: hrm...I think Freezing Cold is the wrong name. I mean, freezing cold is 0 degrees, which is temperature bands cold/severe cold. Any suggestions?

Aereshaa_the_2nd
2008-02-11, 12:19 AM
Vostok Cold?
Arch-Hibernic Cold?
Also, I once ran a game in which the characters had to deal with the effects of outer space. They built a spaceship powered by a 3000 charge Wand of Fireball. This, plus airtight walls made from oiled leather and tar, allowed them to get to the equivalent of mars, and fight martian red dragons. However, they kept forgetting how cold mars is.

Player: I step outside, wearing my airtight helmet.
Me: You take 2d6 cold damage.
Player: Suxxor!

ShinyRocks
2008-02-11, 06:00 AM
I'd call this Absolute Cold or Utter Cold.

mikeejimbo
2008-02-11, 07:49 AM
Below -50 sounds reasonable. I recall a story that Alaskan Fishermen will spit, and if it freezes before it hits the ground, it's below -50.

I'd suggest something like "Ungodly Cold" or "Impossibly Cold" or even "DEAR SWEET MERCIFUL GODS MY POOR USELESS WARM-BLOODEDNESS"

13_CBS
2008-02-11, 08:40 AM
Deathly cold? That might work.

Icewalker
2008-02-13, 12:36 AM
I considered Ungodly cold, as the previous band is Unearthly cold, but thought I might be able to find something better.

Most temperature bands are 20-40 degrees, and Unearthly cold is -50 to infinite, which I think will become -50 to -75, after which you have...I kind of like Deathly Cold. Goes well with Burning Heat.

mikeejimbo
2008-02-13, 01:37 AM
Deathly cold does sound good. I change my opinion to that.