PDA

View Full Version : The Breakfast Club Disscusion Board

Raging_Pacifist
2008-02-10, 10:48 PM
The movie in my opinion is the best movie ever.

So, discuss, argue, speculate, it's open.

Premsyl
2008-02-11, 01:52 PM
I always wanted to smoke a doobie in some hyped up, two story, school library.

Solo
2008-02-11, 02:59 PM
Seemed kinda dumb that everyone got a girl except the geeky/nerdy guy.

Moral of the story: You can be a jock, a wierdo, a princess, or a delinquent and still get a date... but heaven help you if you're in the chess club.

Other than that, good movie.

averagejoe
2008-02-11, 03:13 PM

Moral of the story: You can be a jock, a wierdo, a princess, or a delinquent and still get a date... but heaven help you if you're in the chess club.

I thought much the same thing.

The movie had its moments, but I don't really think it did what it was attempting to do very well. Also, I found the characters to be pretty unenjoyable on the whole. This isn't usually super important, but characters are all the movie focused on, so...

Raging_Pacifist
2008-02-11, 05:05 PM
I have to say that Bender is just awesome.

purple gelatinous cube o' Doom
2008-02-11, 05:12 PM
It's a good movie, and epitomizes the Brat Pack movies, but far from the greatest movie ever made. I think that honor goes to Casablanca.

Green Bean
2008-02-11, 05:31 PM
It's a good movie, and epitomizes the Brat Pack movies, but far from the greatest movie ever made. I think that honor goes to Casablanca.

Casablanca is great, but I think Citizen Kane has it beat in the greatest movie category.

Anyway, back on topic. I actually didn't see The Breakfast Club until last Christmas break. It really is an excellent piece of cinema.

averagejoe
2008-02-11, 05:32 PM

It can't be the greatest movie ever made unless you can make an RPG out of it. :smalltongue:

nothingclever
2008-02-11, 06:34 PM
I have always hated that movie because it is simply extremely overrated and was essentially another movie about nothing. Wow some kids kinda sorta set aside their differences when they're trapped in a room with nothing better to do than talk to each other. Gasp. That's not hard in real life either.

The kids in the movie were all pretty stupid too.
One girl was an extremely shy "goth" for no real other reason than being really shy. One guy is a jock who isn't really a jerk except maybe to nerds sometimes so he didn't have much changing to do. The goth had none either besides overcoming her shyness since she didn't really hate or stereotype anyone either. The goth and the jock end up becoming a couple if I remember correctly pretty much just because she looked bangable when they got a dress and some makeup on her.

The other two were a super self-conscious girl expected to be perfect and the super rebellious guy expected to be terrible and they got along because of the cliche that opposites attract. Both were idiots who just did whatever their parents did and realized they both looked bangable so they hooked up too.

In the end the nerd gets no one because no one likes nerds except when they can help you get better test scores, do your homework for you or get you free television. Whoa, what a big change in attitude! Oh wait...

There was no witty dialogue or clever insights or anything else special.

The movie is simply liked because people mindlessly agree its good because other people said it was good so if you don't agree you end up being singled out like the nerd in the movie. It's pretty ironic the problem the movie was supposedly trying to discourage is exactly what makes it popular in real life.

Zeb The Troll
2008-02-13, 03:23 AM
I was something like 13 when I saw that movie. I loved it then and I love it now.

I have to disagree with nothingclever's perception of the movie though. It wasn't about people hooking up because they're bangable. It's about seeing that there's actually a person behind the mold you're seeing when you walk past them in the hallway. (By the way, Ally Sheedy's character isn't goth, she's just a "basketcase".) Sure, it may be a bit on the cliche'd side now, but I submit that this film actually established the cliche, rather than following it.

I wouldn't call it the best movie ever made. I wouldn't even call it the best movie made that year. I do, however, think it was a great movie. But then, maybe it's because it was a "coming of age" movie that hit the screens when I was.

Weiser_Cain
2008-02-13, 03:44 AM

Other than that, good movie.

That and the (in my opinion) unnecessary pro drug scene are the only flaws in this movie. To be fair though, the dork probably went on to be very rich.

Woofsie
2008-02-13, 06:54 AM
Agreed, awesome movie. Great characters and much witty banter all round. Though it always makes me wince when the pot-smoking scene is cut out of the tv version.

smellie_hippie
2008-02-13, 07:04 AM
The only problem I have with Breakfast Club is catching it on public television.
"Flip You!"
"You are such a witch!"
Not that I enjoy prolific cursing... but there's enough in this film that hearing "flip" a hundred times kinda makes me ill.

Otherwise, I think it's a fantastic movie. The geek may not get a girl in the end, but he does get acceptance from the other clicks. Isn't that what he was after in the first place?

mainiac
2008-02-13, 07:12 AM
"He get's to kiss his essay!"

-My friend the princess to me, the nerd when I noted that the nerd was the only one still alone.

nothingclever
2008-02-13, 07:17 AM
I was something like 13 when I saw that movie. I loved it then and I love it now.

I have to disagree with nothingclever's perception of the movie though. It wasn't about people hooking up because they're bangable. It's about seeing that there's actually a person behind the mold you're seeing when you walk past them in the hallway. (By the way, Ally Sheedy's character isn't goth, she's just a "basketcase".) Sure, it may be a bit on the cliche'd side now, but I submit that this film actually established the cliche, rather than following it.

I wouldn't call it the best movie ever made. I wouldn't even call it the best movie made that year. I do, however, think it was a great movie. But then, maybe it's because it was a "coming of age" movie that hit the screens when I was.

Even if she was just a "basketcase" which really made no sense either so it doesn't really matter. The whole seeing the person behind the mold really didn't happen much at all. It was just "gee I'm really bored lets fool around and hang out later because we managed to survive being stuck in a room together and you're likable enough that I'd date you." No it wasn't supposed to be about how bangable people are but they sure make it look like that when the nerd is left out and everyone else instantly becomes a couple in some form.

The message was pretty weak to begin with. If you are unable to recognize that someone else is a human with all the human needs you have and isn't entirely one dimensional then you've got problems. People who need a movie to get that through their heads might as well take a bullet there instead.

Zeb The Troll
2008-02-13, 07:32 AM
Well, maybe things have changed in the 24 years since that movie came out, then. At the time it was pretty common that the different levels of social standing didn't intermingle. It had become such a problem that our school district even had special off-site programs designed to overcome it (this was suburban Boulder, Colorado, mind you, not even like an affluent neighborhood with mandatory poor kid attendance).

Besides, insisting people "need a bullet through their heads" for acting like normal high school students is maybe just a little bit uncalled for. Just because you're better than everybody else doesn't mean that the rest of us need to be euthanized.

Of course it's obvious now. But there aren't kids commiting suicide every day because their peers understand that they're real people with their own needs and desires too.

Semidi
2008-02-13, 10:26 AM
If you are unable to recognize that someone else is a human with all the human needs you have and isn't entirely one dimensional then you've got problems. People who need a movie to get that through their heads might as well take a bullet there instead.

That's sort of like what happened in the movie Heathers (one of the best black comedies ever made).

Oh and I loved the Breakfast Club. Good movie. It really all just boils down to, "people are people, why can't we all just get along." But it's fun getting to that point. I have no idea why I don't own it.