PDA

View Full Version : Do I have this right?

Crow
2008-02-11, 05:20 AM
A druid wildshaped into a dire tiger on a full attack receives two claw attacks and a bite at full BAB?

Or do you use regular iterative attack rules (-5 on each subsequent attack)?

Dhavaer
2008-02-11, 05:25 AM
I think the claws (or the bite, depends which is primary) recieve a -5 (-2 with multiattack) penalty.

Tokiko Mima
2008-02-11, 05:47 AM
Dire Tigers (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/direTiger.htm) use a natural weapon attack pattern, so just they get their two claw attacks at full attack bonus and their bite as a secondary attack (-5) on a full attack, nothing more unless they're grappling. Then they get to Rake too! (also at -5)

Iterative attacks apply strictly to manufactured weapons or unarmed strikes. Natural weapons don't gain additional attacks no matter how much BAB the creature has. If the creature has hands of a sort and picks up and wields a club or something, then iterative attacks apply to that.

It's more work, but you might want to cut the Dire Tigers damage and attack bonus since the the druid is probably losing the benefit of Improved Natural Attack (claw and bite) and Weapon Focus (claw). The druid doesn't gain Feats for animal/plant forms in wild shape, but does for Elemental shapes.

Also, the BAB used to calculate attacks is technically the Druids BAB, but it usually doesn't matter if the druid selects animals with the same number of HD as his level, since animals have a 3/4 progression for BAB just like Druids. If the druid wild shapes into a form with only a few HD though, keep in mind that his total attack bonus will be much higher than normal for that animal.

Crow
2008-02-11, 06:21 AM
Dire Tigers (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/direTiger.htm) use a natural weapon attack pattern, so just they get their two claw attacks at full attack bonus and their bite as a secondary attack (-5) on a full attack, nothing more unless they're grappling. Then they get to Rake too! (also at -5)

Iterative attacks apply strictly to manufactured weapons or unarmed strikes. Natural weapons don't gain additional attacks no matter how much BAB the creature has. If the creature has hands of a sort and picks up and wields a club or something, then iterative attacks apply to that.

It's more work, but you might want to cut the Dire Tigers damage and attack bonus since the the druid is probably losing the benefit of Improved Natural Attack (claw and bite) and Weapon Focus (claw). The druid doesn't gain Feats for animal/plant forms in wild shape, but does for Elemental shapes.

Also, the BAB used to calculate attacks is technically the Druids BAB, but it usually doesn't matter if the druid selects animals with the same number of HD as his level, since animals have a 3/4 progression for BAB just like Druids. If the druid wild shapes into a form with only a few HD though, keep in mind that his total attack bonus will be much higher than normal for that animal.

Wow, you covered just about every other question I had without my even having to ask. Thanks!

Chronos
2008-02-11, 08:38 PM
It's more work, but you might want to cut the Dire Tigers damage and attack bonus since the the druid is probably losing the benefit of Improved Natural Attack (claw and bite) and Weapon Focus (claw). The druid doesn't gain Feats for animal/plant forms in wild shape, but does for Elemental shapes.I've seen the argument made that the druid does gain some feats, if they could be considered extraordinary special attacks. This would presumably apply for both Improved Natural Attack and Weapon Focus, but not something like Dodge.

Also note that the druid himself can take feats like Multiattack in his regular feat slots, but he only gains benefits from them in appropriate forms.