PDA

View Full Version : Weird sleep problem

Krimm_Blackleaf
2008-02-11, 06:56 AM
I have a very strange sleep issue that I've only heard of as normal in certain very non-human animals. Whenever I can, such as weekends and Wednesday(when I have no classes) I can't stop myself from sleep 10+ hours. Another aspect of that is, it's usually somewhere between 4 am to 3 pm, sometimes more, sometimes less.
But when I wake up and get out of bed I'm incredibly tired, like ruthlessly tired and no amount of caffeine can compensate without being a potentially lethal dose. And to tack on another layer, once it gets to be around 10 pm, I just wake up.
I've talked to a few friends of mine and their contribution is usually "Wow, you've done it Will, you're nocturnal. Congratulations!"
I don't know if this is normal, a little odd or severely abnormal, but if you have any contribution to my little thread I'm posting because it's 4 am and I can't sleep it'd be most welcome.

Tempest Fennac
2008-02-11, 07:06 AM
I know that caffein and alcohol can both disrupt sleep patterns. Also, how healthy is your diet? (I don't know if that could have an effect or not). It sounds as though you should see a doctor (I'd say it's abnormal due to how humans aren't really supposed to be nocturnal).

Shademan
2008-02-11, 07:07 AM
thats puberty kid. it could be worse!

EDIT: eh okey. checked yer profile... unless youre really LATE it aint puberty. might wanna see a doc tho'. sleeping is important.

Lady Tialait
2008-02-11, 07:10 AM
Hey! you are now all set for the wide world of night jobs.

We all love them..and sometimes you can get paid extra for doing the 'gravyard shift'...enjoy.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2008-02-11, 07:15 AM
Hey! you are now all set for the wide world of night jobs.

We all love them..and sometimes you can get paid extra for doing the 'gravyard shift'...enjoy.

That's actually a career choice I've considered, and I get a giggle out of it every time I remember that line from scrubs, "And that intern that liked to be there because he was 'up anyway.'"
And extra cash would be nice...

Emperor Ing
2008-02-11, 07:24 AM
Jet lag? Maybe?

V Junior
2008-02-11, 07:24 AM
Wow, that is pretty weird.

My advice? Talk to a doctor, ASAP. If this problem persists, you've either become nocturnal, or you've got something really wrong with you.

Jack Squat
2008-02-11, 07:34 AM
well you're tired because of how long you're sleeping.

basically, I'd try to get to bed earlier and crank your alarm, so you don't get more than 8 hours of sleep. You could also skip a round of sleeping and just go to bed at a more normal time.

Mountain_Faerie
2008-02-11, 08:18 AM
Some of it could be your natural body clock. My grandfather, dad and I have all had trouble sleeping at night. We all got our best zzz's between 4 a.m. and 9 a.m. Here are some sleep tips from someone whose been there.

1. No caffeine 8 hours before you plan to go to sleep. It can have an effect for up to 8 hours. Especially if you are mega-dosing it.

2. Eat incredibly healthy food. Once you have cut down your caffeine, improve your diet. Minimal sugar, fruit and bread. Lots of veggies and lean meats. (there may be something wrong with your blood sugar if you are waking up exhausted after 13+ hours of sleep. If this continues, go see the doc.)

3. Get some exercise during the morning/afternoon. Not right before bed (it will wake you up).

4. Relax. Don't let yourself get stressed about whether or not you will be able to sleep.

Hope this helps. Sleep well...

v: I need 9 hours to function properly. I don't truly wake up until 10:30 or 11:00, even though I get up by 7 a.m. most days.

Lady Tialait
2008-02-11, 08:25 AM
I dunno I've always slept better during daylight hours. then again, I used to do the whole stay up for three days sleep for 4 hours..lather..rinse...repeat..thing.

My husband usally sleeps for 2 days a week. and gets a good 12 hours a night sleep. We tryed going a month with a perfect diet and getting only 8 hours of sleep a night out of each of us.

I felt sick, he was tired. It doesn't work. I need about 2 hours each night. he needs about 12...oh well..

sapphail
2008-02-11, 09:33 AM
Agree with Jack Squat here, I have the same thing. I work long weirdo shifts, so I tend to sleep for ten or more hours on my days off. I have to force myself not to do that, or I'll be more tired than when I went to bed in the first place. Doesn't make sense on face value, but excess sleep = mega tired.

MrEdwardNigma
2008-02-11, 10:16 AM
thats puberty kid. it could be worse!

EDIT: eh okey. checked yer profile... unless youre really LATE it aint puberty. might wanna see a doc tho'. sleeping is important.

Blech. Sleep is for the weak. That's why I don't do it anymore. Insomnia has it's perks.

SpiderMew
2008-02-11, 10:51 AM
Sounds like Sleep Apnea to me.
I have friends with Sleep Apnea who have experenced the same problem. It can be caused by any number of things, from being over weight, to having a jawbone thats shaped a certin way.

AtomicKitKat
2008-02-11, 11:11 AM
You're younger than me, if memory serves. I am still in that phase where I can sometimes sleep for long periods of time, yet I will automatically awaken after 7 hours of sleep, but still feel sleepy in the afternoons. Consider it a sign that you are still growing, since it seems to occur primarily during puberty.

SirGhandi
2008-02-11, 12:49 PM
Not to be an alarmist, but that would also fit in with depression. Do you just feel tired, or do you lack the will to do anything else? I'm not being critical, but just like the others, I agree that seeing a doctor would be very helpful, as only a doctor can really tell you what's wrong, as opposed to a bunch of us on forums.

Narmoth
2008-02-11, 12:52 PM
I also feel awfull when getting up after 10 hours of sleep. In my case it's low blood pressure (I have around 95 / 55 in the mordning, with the nrom being 110 / 80 for a person my age)
Tride coffe, but it doesn't help me. I'm drinking a lot of it anyway, so it might be that I'm immune

B-Man
2008-02-11, 01:00 PM
I had roughly the same problem last December. I found that I wasn't getting tired at 11 or 12, so I just stayed up, but I would usually stay up 'til 5 in the morning. Then I would sleep for 12-14 hours every "night". I think it was because I wasn't eating properly because when I got home halfway through December and started to eat healthy foods again, my sleep pattern got better.

Shraik
2008-02-11, 02:24 PM
Well, this proves it. Humans are becoming Nocturnal animals and you are the first to start to evolve.

RandomNPC
2008-02-11, 04:59 PM
i've got a thing, i'll sleep from about midnight or 1AM to 9AM if i don't have to work the next day, but after two years i've finally adapted to first shift. it's a pitty, as second pays a dollar more and third pays two dollars more.

i consider it standard, but there's probably something wrong with me too.

Jae
2008-02-11, 08:35 PM
I have the same problem. I'm glad it isn't just me, because I was starting to wonder.
Generally during the week, I don't get more then five hours of sleep and usually less. So, naturally, I crash on weekends. But everytime I wake up I'm RIDICULOUSLY more tired. The less sleep I get, the more awake I seem to be...despite the fact that I genuinely just want some rest.
Do you/have you had sleep problems in the past??
I, myself, get nightmares regularly (I don't mind, I've gotten quite used to it after seven or so years) and go through periods of DRAMATIC teeth grinding (which usually include tearing up my cheek tissue until I can see this odd white layer).
I thought maybe my issue as of now would in some way corrolate to those sleep problems??

Don't have any advice, unfortunately, being that I'm in need of some. But I at least somewhat understand what you're going through..it's very frustrating.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2008-02-11, 11:59 PM
If it helps solve any problems, I'm diabetic and have already been diagnosed with depression.

Jae
2008-02-12, 12:07 AM
depression

Messes up EVERYTHING.

Really, though, there is a corrolation of constantly being tired and depression. If in any way that negative energy stays with you while you sleep, it defeats the purpose of rest in the first place. I've had a friend or two go through clinical depression, and they'd sleep often but only really wanted more sleep.

You probably know all this already, but maybe that's why??

Alarra
2008-02-12, 12:49 AM
I have a very strange sleep issue that I've only heard of as normal in certain very non-human animals. Whenever I can, such as weekends and Wednesday(when I have no classes) I can't stop myself from sleep 10+ hours. Another aspect of that is, it's usually somewhere between 4 am to 3 pm, sometimes more, sometimes less.
But when I wake up and get out of bed I'm incredibly tired, like ruthlessly tired and no amount of caffeine can compensate without being a potentially lethal dose. And to tack on another layer, once it gets to be around 10 pm, I just wake up.
I've talked to a few friends of mine and their contribution is usually "Wow, you've done it Will, you're nocturnal. Congratulations!"
I don't know if this is normal, a little odd or severely abnormal, but if you have any contribution to my little thread I'm posting because it's 4 am and I can't sleep it'd be most welcome.

I have this same problem. I used to have to drink teas or take pills to make me fall asleep if it was after 9pm but before 3am because otherwise I just wasn't tired. All day long? Exhausted. 9pm...wide awake.

After some research, I decided that I have: Circadian Rhythm Sleep Disorder - Delayed Sleep Phase Type.

Which is a persistant or recurrent pattern of sleep disruption that results from altered function of the circadian timing system or from a mismatch between the individual's endogenous circadian sleep-wake system and exogenous demands regarding the timing and duration of sleep.

The delayed phase type means that you're basically locked into habitually late sleeping hours and have a disproportionately difficult time switching them earlier compared to people with normal circadian rhythms. It's found that when people that have this try to set themselves to normal times, they have prolonged sleep latency, reduced sleep efficiency, shorter sleep duration, and shorter REM sleep latency. This results in feeling disproportionately tired even though you made yourself get 8 hours of sleep at the proper time of day.

There is apparently a way to treat it, to normalize sleeping hours, but it's usually only temporary and you'll still find yourself vulnerable to delayed sleep hours and other symptoms. It can correct itself with age though, since your rhythm changes as you age. It can however, last for decades.

Icewalker
2008-02-12, 01:09 AM
Well...my sleep is similar, but to a slightly less extreme extent, and I don't feel tired when I wake up late. When I can, (weekends), I will go to sleep from 1 AM to 3 and wake up somewhere from 11 AM to 1 PM.

BlackMage2549
2008-02-13, 06:40 AM
I'd advise you to mellow out. Sounds to me like you're stressed, and it's messin' with your sleep schedule.

That's what my doctor told me when I asked her about mine. I sleep from 10:00AM to 1:00PM, 9:30PM to 10:30PM, and 3:30AM to 4:30AM. I definitely suggest avoiding a polyphasic sleep schedule, it's tearin' me apart.

You could also try blindfolding yourself before you go to sleep. I used to have problems with ambient light before I started doing that. Also consider white noise! No radio, no sleep for me.

reorith
2008-02-15, 11:03 AM
my advice is to chew valerian root and get more exercise