PDA

View Full Version : Eternal Youth (Divine Spell).

Tempest Fennac
2008-02-11, 07:41 AM
I was having a disussion about the ageing penalties with a friend the other day, and they made an interesting comment about how hey think the stat loss caused by ageing may be caused by the characer's soul getting older (I'd commented that I would have assumed someone would have developed a method of repairing the damage in the D&D universe, and they said the "damage" to the person's soul is harder to repair, which explains the fluff behind the Monk's ageing ability). I decided that 1 was of negating ageing penalties would be to create a spell which give the target the Timeless Body ability.

Eternal Youth (9th Level Divine Spell for Clerics and Druids).
School: Necromancy (or Conjuration depending on what would fit better).
Casting time: 1 Hour.
Duration: Perminant, can't be reversed at all.
Save: None (harmless).
Componants: VSXM.

This spell will grant the target eternal youth, which means the person will never lose stats due to ageing, and they will become immune to all magical ageing. It will not stop the target from dying of old age, but it will undo any ability damage caused by ageing. Adds 10 years for each 2 Con points after the first 10 to the target's natural life expectency (a negative modifier can't reduce lfe expectancy).

Spell Componant: 1 pint of dragon blood which must have been given wilingly.
XP cost: 3000 (paid by target).

Please could you all let me know what you think about it?

Kaelaroth
2008-02-11, 07:45 AM
I like the idea, but because of the fluff associated, I'd make this a ninth level spell. And it's necromancy - it's not healing, it's just playing around with life.

Tempest Fennac
2008-02-11, 08:01 AM
Thanks. Do you think the cost is fair? I'll raise the spell level if at least 3 more people say I should do so.

Shademan
2008-02-11, 08:09 AM
you should raise it one lv.

and make the material components more interesting.

Tempest Fennac
2008-02-11, 08:12 AM
Okay. Which componants would you recommend? (I was mainly going for something that's quite expensive that fitted in with the idea of altering life enegy). If I raise the level, should I decrease the XP/Componant cost (I wasn't planning on doing either if I did raise it).

Innis Cabal
2008-02-11, 08:19 AM
perhaps the water of an untainted spring chilled for 4 years which has to be drunk on the final moments of casting the spell. Also cleaning your body before the spell is cast and only eating the purest of foods for several days before the casting?

Shademan
2008-02-11, 08:24 AM
components like: dust from a kings tomb. a bone from your closest dead relative (did i just feel a horryfing chill? as if a lwayer suddenly smelled that he could sue me?), diamonds drenched in the blood of a >insert creature< or the daimond ray of dissapperance!?!?
just make something fancy up. :smallwink:

Nebo_
2008-02-11, 09:06 AM
I would make few changes. First, it needs to be on someone's spell list it can actually be cast. Second, I would make the spell undo all ability score changes caused by aging, rather than ability damage.

Tempest Fennac
2008-02-11, 09:41 AM
A lot of those componant ideas sound too rare, elaborate or they don't fit in with the fact that this is a positive Necromancy spell rather then one which disrupts life enegy (the water idea really wouldn't be practical). I'll keep the componants as they are for now. Do you think it should only be available to just Clerics or Druids as well? (I'd say Clerics due to how unnatural stopping someone from ageing is, but the Druids who could cast it would already be immune to ageing. I'll have both of them using it for now. I was planning on keeping any bonuses due to how the Monk and Druid abilities don't stop mental stat increases.

Adumbration
2008-02-11, 09:51 AM
Maybe - if you're making it a 9th level spell - the spell could add some extra years of life to the subject? Either something like 50% of the natural lifespan, or if that's too powerful, make it something like Constitution modifier times ten, or maybe simply 20 years or so. Would make it more attractive to old spellcasters.

Tempest Fennac
2008-02-11, 10:06 AM
That is an interesting idea. If 2 more people think it's a good idea, I'll change it (I like to be democratic).

Kaelaroth
2008-02-11, 10:23 AM
In fact, yes, I agree. Let it be Constitution modifier x 10 extra years of life added on after casting.

Only one more to change it!

Tempest Fennac
2008-02-11, 10:38 AM
A friend who I was just talking to suggested using blood as a componant. I was thinking about possibly needing blood from a willing Holy creature dependant on the religion of whoever was casting the spell, but that causes problems with Clerics of causes or Druids who don't worship dieties.

BisectedBrioche
2008-02-11, 10:40 AM
I second the life extension idea (or third, or whatever).

Tempest Fennac
2008-02-11, 10:41 AM
Thanks (I'll add that to the description).

(V) That is a good point (I think I'll keep it as Necromancy due to being primarily concerned with lifeforce, though).

MorkaisChosen
2008-02-11, 11:39 AM
I think it might actually work as a Transmutation, especially if it's removing age penalties.