PDA

View Full Version : Speech Therapy

Brickwall
2008-02-11, 11:38 AM
Okay, as some of you who have heard my voice may know, there are a couple annoying things about it. First, my s's make a whistling sound. I hate that. Second, my voice is a little nasal. I hate that too. I honestly think I would be happier if I could eliminate those elements of my voice. Now, I'm not exactly sure, but aren't there ways to do that sort of thing? If there are, well, I'm asking about them here and now. I'm sure loads of people hate their voices too, so I'm not the only one who can benefit from this thread.

valadil
2008-02-11, 11:59 AM
Singing lessons might suffice. Never been to one so I can't say for sure, but I remember a friend's sister had some advanced courses where lyrics were written out in IPA rather than english, so that the singer could read hundreds of sounds rather than 26.

Hoggy
2008-02-11, 01:23 PM
Woah, I do that weird whistling S thingy as well. Crazy.

Semidi
2008-02-11, 02:07 PM
My girlfriend is studying to be a speech pathologist, when I see her tomorrow, I'll ask.

Groundhog
2008-02-11, 02:09 PM
Do either of you have a gap between your front teeth? Because that might be why.

Brickwall
2008-02-11, 02:29 PM
Do either of you have a gap between your front teeth? Because that might be why.

Naw, I wore my braces already. It's a thing I do with my tongue. I can't figure out how to make s sounds without doing it.

phoenixineohp
2008-02-11, 03:04 PM
If you go to speech therapy, they can help with the 's' for sure. I don't know about the nasal tone though.

SweetLikeLemons
2008-02-12, 01:35 AM
Here is the trick one of my theater teachers used to reduce sibilance: take a pen or a pencil and hold it in your mouth so that it sticks out on either side. Put it as far back as you can, and then practice saying things with S sounds in them. I'm not sure why it works, but it helped me. I'm not sure what to do about the nasality, though. Voice lessons or speech therapy would probably not be a bad idea, if you can afford them.

Jagg
2008-02-12, 01:42 AM
My little brother had speech therapy when he was young. I knocked out his four front teeth when he was 3 (What? Don't look at me like that - it was an accident I was only 6) so he'd gotten into the habit of speaking with a lisp. They helped him a lot, they can defiantely fix the S's thing. Try talking slower to fix the nasal thing.

JAGG

thubby
2008-02-12, 03:48 AM
the nasaly sound and whistle are linked, somehow, my friend had the same problem, I'll ask him about it tomorrow.

Blayze
2008-02-12, 08:58 AM
I have a tendency to trip over my words mid-sentence, bringing my sentences to a screeching halt as I try (But fail) to force the words out. I also think I slur my words, which doesn't help. Ever. Is that a problem for the Speech Therapy superheroes?

Edit: I also have what I believe is an over-production of saliva and phlegm.

Dihan
2008-02-12, 09:03 AM
I went to a speech therapist when I was about 3 for completely different reasons; my parents thought I was mute because I wouldn't talk. Anyway, the therapist diagnosed me as being "too lazy to talk".

It's so very true.

Blayze
2008-02-12, 11:18 AM
Did your parents keep any documentation they were given about that? I'd love to see that official report scanned. :)

Dihan
2008-02-12, 11:20 AM
Did your parents keep any documentation they were given about that? I'd love to see that official report scanned. :)

I don't think so. If they did it's long gone.