PDA

View Full Version : cartography in photoshop

Bellmaethorion
2008-02-11, 01:23 PM
I'm trying to make a map in photoshop, and I was wondering, lazy as I am, whether anyone knew about brushes for things like forests, mountains and waves.

I'm working on CS3, but I think the brushes are backwards compatible.

Swooper
2008-02-11, 02:00 PM
I'm not sure this will be of any help, but I made a map using Paint.NET (it's a bit like PS lite, and it's freeware) once. I used clouds to make forests, swamps and deserts. Looked pretty nice. I never found a good way to do mountains though, so I ended up just drawing lots of mountain peaks, Tolkien style.

Also, shouldn't this be in the Arts & Crafts forum?

Newtkeeper
2008-02-11, 02:09 PM
I never found a good way to do mountains though, so I ended up just drawing lots of mountain peaks, Tolkien style.

When I need mountains, I usually draw a few, then copy/paste the rest. Saves my arm a good deal, I can tell you.

I'm no artist, but I can do fairly convincing mountains.

If you can't, google "map mountain" and scroll a few pages. Odds are, you'll find some decent things to cut/paste from.

horseboy
2008-02-11, 02:47 PM
If you're truly lazy you could always use google maps. You'd be surprised the number of people that will never realize you're playing in the Ukrane (http://server6.theimagehosting.com/image.php?img=barsaivetopo.jpg).

Bellmaethorion
2008-02-11, 03:29 PM
Also, shouldn't this be in the Arts & Crafts forum?

of course*facepalm*, I'll make a new post there

If you're truly lazy you could always use google maps. You'd be surprised the number of people that will never realize you're playing in the Ukrane (http://server6.theimagehosting.com/image.php?img=barsaivetopo.jpg).

Hah, that's a good idea, but unfortunately, I do have a map sketched out, I just want it to look a bit more.. presentable

GlordFunkelhand
2008-02-11, 03:47 PM
I'm trying to make a map in photoshop, and I was wondering, lazy as I am, whether anyone knew about brushes for things like forests, mountains and waves.

I'm working on CS3, but I think the brushes are backwards compatible.

Check iTunes for a video podcast entitled "Fantasy MapMaking with Photoshop" - it's pretty good ;)