PDA

View Full Version : a quick raw question

JWhitehead
2008-02-11, 04:15 PM
hey all, just a quick question:
What happens if an Iron golem casts stoneskin? or more specifically what happens if you cast the iron body spell followed by stoneskin?
I cant find enough in my resource books to justify an answer either way. It seems to me that iron body makes stoneskin obsellete but a small part of me thinks they may stack.

Zincorium
2008-02-11, 04:23 PM
Since all stoneskin does is give DR/adamantine, and Iron Body gives a higher value of the same, stoneskin has absolutely no effect.

daggaz
2008-02-11, 04:27 PM
To be a bit more specific, Damage Reductions never stack. They overlap.

So DR 10/adamantium + DR5/adamantium just gives DR 10/adamantium.

Its better if you have, say, DR 10/magic and DR 10/adamantium, for example, cuz then somebody needs a magic adamantium weapon.. or good silver, or whatever...

If you have DR10/magic and DR5/adamantium, and you are struck with a plain magic weapon, you then get the DR 5....

EDIT: also, anybody else noticing like major lag on the forum the last month or so? ick.

Talic
2008-02-11, 04:31 PM
Then next step is to get DR 10/good and DR 10/evil. Or DR 10/Silver and DR 10/Cold Iron. Perhaps a vampire warlock?

Irreverent Fool
2008-02-11, 04:41 PM
As far as the RAW goes, I don't think an Iron Golem can cast Stoneskin...

Well, unless you gave it a wand and ordered it to keep trying to use it until it managed a 20.

Burley
2008-02-11, 04:58 PM
Then next step is to get DR 10/good and DR 10/evil. Or DR 10/Silver and DR 10/Cold Iron. Perhaps a vampire warlock?

Well, that's all well and good...but, they don't stack on each other. Having DR 10/A and DR 10/B will still only negate 10 points.
Don't try to get DR/good or DR/evil, because there are class abilites that negate that. You want enemies to have to pay for stuff, cause then you get the big loots. Get Cold Iron or Adamantine, cause they cost so much. (Try making a Golem Warlock, since a Cold Ironed and Adamantine weapon would have to be SOOO houseruled that your DM/player would be a cheatin' jerk to throw an enemy with with it at you. Plus, don't a lot of Golems have straight up Spell Immunity, don't they?)
I'd, personally, go with a Vampire (or Werewolf) Warlock, and take the Fiendish/Fey heritage feats for DR/cold iron that stacks with each feat you take.

sonofzeal
2008-02-11, 05:15 PM
Well, that's all well and good...but, they don't stack on each other. Having DR 10/A and DR 10/B will still only negate 10 points.
Don't try to get DR/good or DR/evil, because there are class abilites that negate that. You want enemies to have to pay for stuff, cause then you get the big loots. Get Cold Iron or Adamantine, cause they cost so much. (Try making a Golem Warlock, since a Cold Ironed and Adamantine weapon would have to be SOOO houseruled that your DM/player would be a cheatin' jerk to throw an enemy with with it at you. Plus, don't a lot of Golems have straight up Spell Immunity, don't they?)
I'd, personally, go with a Vampire (or Werewolf) Warlock, and take the Fiendish/Fey heritage feats for DR/cold iron that stacks with each feat you take.
What he means is that virtually nothing bypasses BOTH Good and Evil, or Silver and Cold Iron, effectively rendering it "DR 10/-". Probably not worth the effort, but still a nice trick.

Nerd-o-rama
2008-02-11, 05:21 PM
We have a thread for quick RAW question, you know. Stickied at the top of this forum.

Anyway, casting Stoneskin with Iron Body already on has no effect. However, if your Iron Body got dispelled and your Stoneskin didn't, you'd still have the DR 5/Adamantine from Stoneskin. That's what's meant by overlap.

Kurald Galain
2008-02-11, 05:40 PM
To be a bit more specific, Damage Reductions never stack.
Well, except when they do. D&D wouldn't be D&D if there wasn't an exception to anything and everything.

I'm quite sure that a Warlock's DR stacks with that from the Fey Bloodline feats, for instance.