PDA

View Full Version : Raining Death From the Skies - for 88,000 gold

dyslexicfaser
2008-02-11, 10:02 PM
So, a DM is starting us at mid-level for a campaign and (more fool, he) is letting my artificer have a backlog of magical items to represent his previous levels' craft reserves. I have decided to abuse his innocence and trust by crafting the best death glider I am capable of creating.

As a model, I'm using the Xen'drik Flying Boat (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/cw/20070129a). That's 30k gold and 2400 XP with the Artisan feats. That gives me about 58k gold (and 400-odd XP in his reserve) to stock my ship with everything it might need to kill things.

Suggestions? I've been trying to figure out how much it would cost to give it an at-will Invisibility (or just a Globe of Invulnerability), just to mess with him.

BRC
2008-02-11, 10:04 PM
Buy a Returning Morningstar, drop it on your opponents and catch it as it comes back up.

FlyMolo
2008-02-11, 10:17 PM
Buy a Returning Morningstar, drop it on your opponents and catch it as it comes back up.

I like this, but the Arms and Equipment Guide has stuff about ship-borne ballistas, etc. Heroes of Battle has good stuff too. Archery volleys, ballistae, trebuchets, etc.

Build a trapdoor that goes over the side, and an item that lets you summon earth elementals. Check the MIC, it's got a couple. Summon one on the trapdoor, open it, bombs away! Reset the trapdoor, and repeat. Best of all, your bombs fight people once they land.

BRC
2008-02-11, 10:21 PM
I like this, but the Arms and Equipment Guide has stuff about ship-borne ballistas, etc. Heroes of Battle has good stuff too. Archery volleys, ballistae, trebuchets, etc.

Build a trapdoor that goes over the side, and an item that lets you summon earth elementals. Check the MIC, it's got a couple. Summon one on the trapdoor, open it, bombs away! Reset the trapdoor, and repeat. Best of all, your bombs fight people once they land.

Ooh, thats nice
For maximu, effect, the morningstar in question should be Large size, you don't actually need to wield it, just drop it on people.

Ganurath
2008-02-11, 10:22 PM
A Decanter of Endless Water set to geiser could kill things with the falling damage if you shoot down from the ship. Can you say blue laser?

Of course, you can just have something with unlimited castings of Create Water for 900gp in cost per caster level of the item to just drop Water Balloons from HellTM on your targets.

BRC
2008-02-11, 10:23 PM
A Decanter of Endless Water set to geiser could kill things with the falling damage if you shoot down from the ship. Can you say blue laser?

Of course, you can just have something with unlimited castings of Create Water for 900gp in cost per caster level of the item to just drop Water Balloons from Hell[supTM[/sup] on your targets.
except that water has a very low terminal velocity, you know how rain dosn't kill you and all...oh dear *gets smashed by falling catgirls*

That said, Wall of Iron cast with the bottom of your ship as the base would work too.

Collin152
2008-02-11, 10:24 PM
Can you say blue laser?

"Put your pants back on, Blue Laser!" "How can you possibly refer to these as pants?!"

FlyMolo
2008-02-11, 10:25 PM
That said, Wall of Iron cast with the bottom of your ship as the base would work too.

That could be interpreted as having a big iron keel. Prepare to have your ship fall out of the sky due to weight.

The real damaging elementals aren't earth elementals but fire elementals. Just realized that, although earth elementals are heavier.

BRC
2008-02-11, 10:28 PM
That could be interpreted as having a big iron keel. Prepare to have your ship fall out of the sky due to weight.

The real damaging elementals aren't earth elementals but fire elementals. Just realized that, although earth elementals are heavier.
the wall can be created not attatched to the surface, therefore it would just fall.

Ganurath
2008-02-11, 10:38 PM
Idea: Targetted Dispel Magic as a Command Word costs 13,500 gp to make, and essentially provides the ship with a Deflector Shield for whichever of your teammates is least useful in the air to man.

dyslexicfaser
2008-02-11, 10:38 PM
Fire elementals might be more damaging, but dropping a 2400 pound earth elemental on someone would really ruin their day.

Thanks for the suggestions, all.

Reptilius
2008-02-11, 10:41 PM
Fire elementals might be more damaging, but dropping a 2400 pound earth elemental on someone would really ruin their day.

Magma Elemental, anyone? Best of both worlds.

FlyMolo
2008-02-11, 10:58 PM
Magma Elemental, anyone? Best of both worlds.

Hah. Nice. But I did some research on elementals and sizing and weights for something in the Avatar d20 project, and what I realized is that damage is basically "Whatever the player can justify"

Cruiser1
2008-02-11, 11:27 PM
Build a trapdoor that goes over the side, and an item that lets you summon earth elementals. Check the MIC, it's got a couple.
Do you know specifically what these elemental summoning items from the Magic Item Compendium are? What size of Earth Elemental (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/elemental.htm#earthElemental) do they bring in? A Small Earth Elemental is only 80 lbs, however an Elder Earth Elemental is 60,000 lbs.

Ganurath
2008-02-11, 11:30 PM
Do you know specifically what these elemental summoning items from the Magic Item Compendium are? What size of Earth Elemental (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/elemental.htm#earthElemental) do they bring in? A Small Earth Elemental is only 80 lbs, however an Elder Earth Elemental is 60,000 lbs.Medium deals 37d6+1d6 for every 10 feet dropped beyond the first, and does so with an affordable spell slot, unlike dropping Walls of Iron on people.

SilentNight
2008-02-11, 11:35 PM
A tad expensive but if you could work it out you could use portable hole+bag of holding. The elementals are nice though.

leperkhaun
2008-02-12, 01:54 AM
i forgot where it is, but there are elemental balistas and such. They shoot fireballs and lightening bolts.

Zenos
2008-02-12, 02:08 AM
But if you can, twin-linked autocannons a pair of fireballs set to fire simultaneusly would create quite a blast, maybe not THE most effective weapon in the world, but...

Fuzzy_Juan
2008-02-12, 02:08 AM
Can you cast a permanent illusion of the sky on the hull of your ship that morphs with the sky above? That would effectively render your ship a stealth ship.

Does phantasmal terrain work on a moving target...would be nice to be able to 'cloak' the ship...even if it can't be used in flight..it could be used while stationary...and that is worth at least something.

Zenos
2008-02-12, 02:11 AM
A mounted magic item of Disintegration maybe?

*whoosh*We're invincib...*Zap*Fizzle*whoosh*

Chronos
2008-02-12, 03:01 AM
Buy a Returning Morningstar, drop it on your opponents and catch it as it comes back up.Doesn't work. You can either throw it, in which case you make an attack roll and it does normal morningstar damage, or you can drop it, in which case it does falling object damage, but the Returning property doesn't work.

Yakk
2008-02-12, 03:25 AM
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/magesPrivateSanctum.htm

That could be useful.

Paragon Badger
2008-02-12, 03:31 AM
You are evil, evil, people...

But your GM will be wiser after this campaign. :smallamused:

Leon
2008-02-12, 03:59 AM
i forgot where it is, but there are elemental balistas and such. They shoot fireballs and lightening bolts.

Hero's of Battle

leperkhaun
2008-02-12, 04:53 AM
ohhh if you want to be really mean.....maybe put a symbol of sleep or some such on something that you can raise when you go to board or are bieng boarded.

hewhosaysfish
2008-02-12, 06:09 AM
Can you cast a permanent illusion of the sky on the hull of your ship that morphs with the sky above? That would effectively render your ship a stealth ship.
That would be Invisibility Sphere, like the OP was thinking. Basic Invisibility might hide the things inside the ship but might not, depending on the GM. Definitely wouldn't hide people on deck though.

Does phantasmal terrain work on a moving target...would be nice to be able to 'cloak' the ship...even if it can't be used in flight..it could be used while stationary...and that is worth at least something.

If a ship counts as a "structure" (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/mirageArcana.htm) rather than "equipment" then you could disguise it as a cloud.
The spell Obscuring Mist would do the same but prevent you from seeing out too... Perhaps only have the mist underneath the ship?

Sebastian
2008-02-12, 06:34 AM
That would be Invisibility Sphere, like the OP was thinking. Basic Invisibility might hide the things inside the ship but might not, depending on the GM. Definitely wouldn't hide people on deck though.

actually you could do it with silent image, just create the image of the sky upon you right under the ship, or of a cloud if the Dm don't allow the sky. As long as the wizard concentrate the ship is practically invisible (f you try with the cloud it is better to follow the wind tho).

Fuzzy_Juan
2008-02-12, 06:35 AM
You do realize however that the first sign of this monstrosity running away with the game will cause the DM to invoke the 'angry dragon' clause and have some sort of monster crush your ship into bits....or have some other way of taking it out of the picture for all intents and purposes.

While very cool...it is a thing easily bypassed unless used by the party to circumvent the story...in such a case...the story might come say hello to you in a very rude way.

There are places ships cannot go, things that might be adverse to such armed craft...and other things that can put it out of commision, if not permanently, at least long enough to force the party to linger in a plot area long enough to do what needs to be done...repairs will always come at the speed of plot...

If you want to really 'twink', you might be better off maxing out some crazy magical items rather than one pimptastic boat and then have all your gear lag behind.

KoDT69
2008-02-12, 08:27 AM
Bag of Holding + Flying Carpet = WIN! You can do all the same stuff, then roll it up and stuff it in the bag when you're done. It can be for 1 person or more depending on how big you want to go, and it would be loads cheaper.

BadJuJu
2008-02-12, 09:45 AM
Maybe some kind of Golem. Thats a nasty invasion force.

FlyMolo
2008-02-12, 09:49 AM
Bag of Holding + Flying Carpet = WIN! You can do all the same stuff, then roll it up and stuff it in the bag when you're done. It can be for 1 person or more depending on how big you want to go, and it would be loads cheaper.
But not as cool.

As far as DM concerns, I'd simply roll with it. Okay, you have a flying ship. But now pirates want your loot, and the Sailor's Union is on your case. Instant plot. Sort of. But I make up everything on the spot anyway. (Don't tell my players.)

leperkhaun
2008-02-12, 10:08 AM

true, but he has an airship powered by a fire elemental.

Burley
2008-02-12, 10:30 AM
Simple! Y'know how boats have the swan or mermaid or piece of fried chicken on the front of the vessel? Just tie a Warlock with Eldritch Spear to the thing. Unlimited ammo, and, on top of all that, it'd level up when it kills things, making it a weapon that gets progressively better. Take leadership and get the Warlock as a cohort for more ordery capabilities.

Epic_Wizard
2008-02-12, 10:56 AM
You guys are forgetting one VERY simple idea here:

Major Creation

Suddenly you can rain down cubes of Iron on your foes. Much more precise and doesn't suffer from the requirements of Wall spells that they be resting on a flat surface or attached to one.

Gravity in D&D is the most abusable mechanic there is.

This is an Epic Level continuation of this idea

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3927721#post3927721

playswithfire
2008-02-12, 11:33 AM
Simple! Y'know how boats have the swan or mermaid or piece of fried chicken on the front of the vessel? Just tie a Warlock with Eldritch Spear to the thing. Unlimited ammo, and, on top of all that, it'd level up when it kills things, making it a weapon that gets progressively better. Take leadership and get the Warlock as a cohort for more ordery capabilities.

And/or a dragonfire adept with some of the better breath effects and metabreath feats. Very effective strafing runs.

Burley
2008-02-12, 11:48 AM
And/or a dragonfire adept with some of the better breath effects and metabreath feats. Very effective strafing runs.

While the Dragonfire Adept is better in combat (which I hate to admit), if you're wanting to rain down fury, Eldritch Fury is the way to go. The longest a Dragonfire Adept can get their breath is 60 (if I recall correctly). A Warlock can get 120. Plus, the really strong breath effects (fivefold breath of ouchies and bahamut's banishing burrito) hurt the DFA something fierce. Warlocks wouldn't be killing themselves.
Also, the Warlock could summon bat swarms to obscure the boat, or spider swarms to shield it from non-magical attacks.

Ganurath
2008-02-12, 11:49 AM
You guys are forgetting one VERY simple idea here:

Major Creation

Suddenly you can rain down cubes of Iron on your foes. Much more precise and doesn't suffer from the requirements of Wall spells that they be resting on a flat surface or attached to one.

Gravity in D&D is the most abusable mechanic there is.

This is an Epic Level continuation of this idea

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3927721#post3927721A Sculpted Widened Wall of Iron can get the same effect 5 rounds faster for 10,000 less XP. Major Creation isn't a viable, option, though, since something that casts a spell that level repeatably is out of the OP's budget. Something that casts Summon Monster IV to rain your choice of one Medium Earth Elemental for a precision kill or 1d4+1 Small Earth Elementals for precision bombardment, however, is more in budget.

Epic_Wizard
2008-02-12, 12:07 PM
A Sculpted Widened Wall of Iron can get the same effect 5 rounds faster for 10,000 less XP. Major Creation isn't a viable, option, though, since something that casts a spell that level repeatably is out of the OP's budget. Something that casts Summon Monster IV to rain your choice of one Medium Earth Elemental for a precision kill or 1d4+1 Small Earth Elementals for precision bombardment, however, is more in budget.

You can't summon the elemental in an environment that is hostile to it. Meaning you can't summon the elemental in mid air so you would have to drop it. Also you can't order it off the edge since it won't follow a self-destructive order.

Plus as I said in my post the 10,000 exp was only to put it in range of a level 21 character. Normally this would be something 25+ and you would use a couple of Rings with +100 to Spellcraft.

How would you get the Wall of Iron to appear in midair? The spell said that it has to be stable when it appears if it isn't anchored to something.

DrizztFan24
2008-02-12, 12:12 PM
Have a reserve of elementals that you smash together
Recipe
2 Hydrogen elementals
1 sulfur elemental
4 oxygen elementals
= One big nasty nightmare

lather, rinse, repeat

or if you are low on elementals get a lead elemental, then when it splats it will morph and slice off the baddies legs, or get a free grapple at least

Triaxx
2008-02-12, 12:24 PM
You're thinking about this all wrong. All he needs is leadership, minor creation, and a hulking hurler cohort. Minor Creation gives it unlimited ammo, and the ship means it can shoot from MILES.

BBEG:My castle is impenetrable, and the heroes are miles away.

*rock crashes through the wall, flattening BBEG*

Newtkeeper
2008-02-12, 12:28 PM
Have a reserve of elementals that you smash together
Recipe
2 Hydrogen elementals
1 sulfur elemental
4 oxygen elementals
= One big nasty nightmare

lather, rinse, repeat

or if you are low on elementals get a lead elemental, then when it splats it will morph and slice off the baddies legs, or get a free grapple at least

Dear (Thor/Zeus/Fling Spagetti Monster), how many catgirls must you kill?

Anway, you are overthinking this. Just get two plutnium elementals at half critical mass, drop one, then drop the other onto it.

_______
/.....\
|......|
\...../
``| |
``| |

sikyon
2008-02-12, 12:54 PM
I suggest that as an artificer you craft a wonderous item which lets you cast cloudkill as a use activated standard action. The cost should be 45k gp to craft and 3600 XP. This would basically let you have a cloudkill cannon that had a 190 ft range and would spam 1 cloudkill/round, each of which lasted 9 minutes. You could use this as an air defense by targeting cloudkill at enemy ships/monsters attacking you (heavy con damage if you spam this every single round and you're running away from them). You can also use it as ground bombardment, it will litterally be raining clouds of death over your opponents. 9 minutes @10 ft /round +190 ft range means you would have something like 3790 ft range with it or more than a 1 kilometer range. 20ft sphere of death.

Also get a gust of wind item to help you fly faster, and outrun any dragons your DM might sick on you.

dyslexicfaser
2008-02-12, 01:15 PM
Thanks Sikyon - everyone, your suggestions are good, but could you include a price tag? This will be my first time playing an artificer (first time playing a Crafter at all, in fact; usually I'm the guy with a pointy thing who stabs people), so I'm a little shaky on what the costs are for this sort of thing.

If you want to really 'twink', you might be better off maxing out some crazy magical items rather than one pimptastic boat and then have all your gear lag behind.

I've resigned myself to, if I do this, becoming a glorified troop transport if we need to head into dungeons or whatever. For that reason, I should probably invest in a stock of wands or scrolls so I'm not completely useless on the ground.

sikyon
2008-02-12, 01:48 PM
Thanks Sikyon - everyone, your suggestions are good, but could you include a price tag? This will be my first time playing an artificer (first time playing a Crafter at all, in fact; usually I'm the guy with a pointy thing who stabs people), so I'm a little shaky on what the costs are for this sort of thing.

I've resigned myself to, if I do this, becoming a glorified troop transport if we need to head into dungeons or whatever. For that reason, I should probably invest in a stock of wands or scrolls so I'm not completely useless on the ground.

That's the beauty of the cloudkill rod, you can just up it and go into the dungeon. As long as you don't have to face off against undead or things immune to poison you're gold. 1.25 con damage/round/multiple targets/ranged/no SR or save is pretty good.

But as an artificer, I suggest you look over on Wizard's Character Optimization Board to get some... "ideas" for how to play an artificer. There's a reason the artificer is often considered the most powerful class, even above wizard (though all full casters are up there anyways).

Ganurath
2008-02-12, 02:14 PM
Price Tag: Command Word (1,800) x Summon Monster IV (4) x Minimum Caster Level (7) / Make It Yourself (2) = 25,200 gp to build a device that will drop either a Heavy Bomb (1 Medium Earth Elemental) or a Salvo (1d4+1 Small Earth Elementals) at a command word.

Edit: 1,008 XP, though, going by normal rules. Not familiar with Artificer, so I don't know if that's within your limits.

dyslexicfaser
2008-02-12, 02:38 PM
Very neat, Ganurath. Is the command word usable a certain number of times a day, or what?

Artificers are basically the same as other crafters (though they can replicate any spell ever for the purposes of making an item), except they get a pool of XP which they can use to craft things. My character also has the feats Extraordinary and Legendary Artisan, which cuts XP cost and GP cost by 25%.

Cuddly
2008-02-12, 03:39 PM
you can't order it off the edge since it won't follow a self-destructive order.

Where in the rules does it say that?

mostlyharmful
2008-02-12, 04:06 PM
I've been trying to figure out how much it would cost to give it an at-will Invisibility (or just a Globe of Invulnerability), just to mess with him.

"Now, everyone remember where we parked." :smallbiggrin:

FlyMolo
2008-02-12, 04:12 PM
Where in the rules does it say that?
that's what the trapdoor is for. Summon it, then drop the trapdoor.

hobbitguy1420
2008-02-12, 05:29 PM
I've been trying to figure out how much it would cost to give it an at-will Invisibility (or just a Globe of Invulnerability), just to mess with him.

"ahh, what a lovely morning. not a cloud in the sky!"

::Thwump as an Earth Elemental lands on him::

"...I'm having a bad day..."