PDA

View Full Version : Speedboat

BRC
2008-02-11, 10:26 PM
Lets say that somebody took a rowboat and attatched a Decanter of Endless Water onto the back, then used the geyser option to propel the boat, how would you stat that out?
Or even better, getting a way to breath underwater and strapping a decanter onto your back.

FlyMolo
2008-02-11, 10:44 PM
It might actually not be going that fast. Inventive, but not very effective. 30 gallons/6 seconds is 5 gallons a second. Assume column 6" wide extending to length, that's only about 10feet/second. You'd get thrust, but not a lot.

On the other hand, Physics be damned! This is a game with magic after all!

I'd say the speed of the boat goes up by 10ft a round every round while the decanter is on, and decreases a like amount while it's off. If you turn more than 45 degrees in a round, halve the speed.

Now ramming damage, that's a pain to calculate.

Dr Bwaa
2008-02-11, 10:48 PM
If you attach, say, six decanters, you'll have 30 gal/sec, which is about equivalent to a decent whitewater river near the top. That would get you accelerating (on open water) probably about 50 ft/round or more (and several decanters allows for better maneuverability by turning them on/off).

BRC
2008-02-11, 10:49 PM
You know, a Decanter-engine might work very well for a submarine of sorts

FlyMolo
2008-02-11, 10:53 PM
I'm almost sure it's a bad thing that all the silly ideas people espouse on this thread I use for campaign ideas. The nonlethal locate city bomb AKA sleep zone, the high altitude artificers with rods of create water making the rain, Submarines, and so on and so forth.

BRC
2008-02-11, 10:56 PM
I'm almost sure it's a bad thing that all the silly ideas people espouse on this thread I use for campaign ideas. The nonlethal locate city bomb AKA sleep zone, the high altitude artificers with rods of create water making the rain, Submarines, and so on and so forth.
Feel free to use a Decanter-powered submarine for a campaign, under the condition you first watch Hunt for the Red October and then base the capitain of Sean Connery's character.
"And the order is, engage the magic drive"

Citizen Joe
2008-02-12, 12:07 AM
Do some research on jet boat engines with their thrust to weight and volume calculations and you see that a geyser is barely idle level thrust.