PDA

View Full Version : It's BAAAAAAAAAACK!!!!!

Epic_Wizard
2008-02-12, 10:55 AM
Some of you may remember this from a while back. Well I finally wrote it up because someone questioned it's viability on another Forum (not D&D related but he plays) :smallbiggrin:

All of the following is from the D&D SRD 3.5 HERE (http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/35/sovelior_sage/epicSpellDevelopment.html):

For reference:

Conjure Seed:

SEED: CONJURE
Conjuration (Creation)
Spellcraft DC: 21
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 minute
Range: 0 ft.
Effect: Unattended, nonmagical object of nonliving matter up to 20 cu. ft.
Duration: 8 hours
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No

This seed creates a nonmagical, unattended object of nonliving matter of up to 20 cubic feet in volume. The caster must succeed at an appropriate skill check to make a complex item. The seed can create matter ranging in hardness and rarity from vegetable matter all the way up to mithral and even adamantine. Simple objects have a natural duration of 24 hours. For each additional cubic foot of matter created, increase the Spellcraft DC by +2. Attempting to use any created object as a material component or a resource during epic spell development causes the spell to fail and the object to disappear.

The conjure seed can be used in conjunction with the life and fortify seeds for an epic spell that creates an entirely new creature, if made permanent. To give a creature spell-like abilities, apply other epic seeds to the epic spell that replicate the desired ability. To give the creature a supernatural or extraordinary ability rather than a spell-like ability, double the cost of the relevant seed. Remember that two doublings equals a tripling, and so forth. To give a creature Hit Dice, use the fortify seed. Each 5 hit points granted to the creature gives it an additional 1 HD. Once successfully created, the new creature will breed true.

Reveal Seed:

SEED: REVEAL
Divination
Spellcraft DC: 19 (see text)
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 minute
Range: See text
Effect: Magical sensor
Duration: 20 minutes (D)

The caster of this seed can see some distant location or hear the sounds at some distant location almost as if he or she was there. To both hear and see, increase the Spellcraft DC by +2. Distance is not a factor, but the locale must be known-a place familiar to the caster or an obvious one. The spell creates an invisible sensor that can be dispelled. Lead sheeting or magical protection blocks the spell, and the caster senses that the spell is so blocked. If the caster prefers to create a mobile sensor (speed 30 feet) that he or she controls, increase the Spellcraft DC by +2. To use the reveal seed to reach one specific different plane of existence, increase the Spellcraft DC by +8. To allow magically enhanced senses to work through a spell built with the reveal seed, increase the Spellcraft DC by +4. To cast any spell from the sensor whose range is touch or greater, increase the Spellcraft DC by +6; however, the caster must maintain line of effect to the sensor at all times. If the line of effect is obstructed, the spell ends. To free the caster of the line of effect restriction for casting spells through the sensor, multiply the Spellcraft DC by x10.

The reveal seed has a base Spellcraft DC of 25 if used to pierce illusions and see things as they really are. The caster can see through normal and magical darkness, notice secret doors hidden by magic, see the exact locations of creatures or objects under blur or displacement effects, see invisible creatures or objects normally, see through illusions, see onto the Ethereal Plane (but not into extradimensional spaces), and see the true form of polymorphed, changed, or transmuted things. The range of such sight is 120 feet.

The reveal seed can also be used to develop spells that will do any one of the following: duplicate the read magic spell, comprehend the written and verbal language of another, or speak in the written or verbal language of another. To both comprehend and speak a language, increase the Spellcraft DC by +4.

Relevant Epic Spell development modifiers.

Spellcraft DC Modifier
Casting Time

Reduce casting time by 1 round (minimum 1 round) +1
1-action casting time +20
Quickened spell (limit one quickened action/round) +28
Components No verbal component +2
No somatic component +2

Area

Change area to cylinder (10-ft. radius, 30 ft. high) +2
Increase Area by 100% +4

Epic Spell Mitigating Factors

Spellcraft DC Modifier
Burn 100 XP during casting (max 20,000 XP) -1

The Raise Island Spell which uses a number of the same ideas and mechanics:

Raise Island
Conjuration (Creation)
Spellcraft DC: 38
Components: V, S, XP, Ritual
Casting Time: 65 days, 11 minutes
Range: 0 ft.
Area: 100-ft.-radius hemispherical island
Duration: Permanent
To Develop: 360,000 gp; 8 days; 14,400 XP. Seed: conjure (DC 21). Factors: change area to 10-ft. radius, 30-ft. high cylinder (+2 DC), change radius to 100 ft. (+40 DC), change height to 1,000 feet (+133 DC), permanent (x5 DC). Mitigating factors: increase casting time by 10 minutes (-20 DC), increase casting time by 65 days (-130 DC), nineteen additional casters contributing epic spell slots (-361 DC), one additional caster contributing one 6th-level spell slot (-11 DC), burn 2,000 XP per epic caster (-400 DC), spell only works on liquid (ad hoc -20 DC).

The character can literally raise a new island from out of the sea, bringing to the surface a sandy or rocky but otherwise barren protrusion that is solid, stable, and permanently established. The island is roughly circular and about 200 feet in diameter. Raise island only works if the ocean is less than 1,000 feet deep where the spell is cast.

XP Cost: 2,000 XP.

The spell:

Thor's Hammer
Conjuration (Creation)
Spellcraft DC: 30
Components: XP
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Line of Sight
Area: 100-ft.-radius Adamantine Cylinder
Duration: Instantaneous (or 20 minutes if the cylinder remains at this time)
Saving Throw: Reflex (at DM's discretion)
To Develop: 360,000 gp; 8 days; 14,400 XP. Seed: conjure (DC 21), Reveal (DC 19 +6 cast through it). Factors: change area to 10-ft. radius, 30-ft. high cylinder (+2 DC), Increase area to 100-ft. radius, 300-ft. high cylinder (+40 DC). Removes Air Resistance on the Cylinder (ad hoc +30 DC). One action casting time (+20 DC). No Verbal Component (+ 2 DC). No Somatic Component (+2 DC) Mitigating factors: burn 10,000 XP.

You summon a cylinder of Adamantine 100 feet in radius and 300 feet high at a position four miles about the target location. Over the next 5 rounds the cylinder falls to earth (assuming normal earth gravity if there is no gravity the cylinder simply floats four miles away in a direction of the caster's choice. The cylinder reaches the target point on the sixth round on your initiative count. If this point is solid ground then the cylinder impacts it moving at a speed of approximately 2 miles per second. This will likely vaporize anything directly under the cylinder when it impacts unless they have some method of avoiding the impact or negating it. Creatures near the edge of the cylinder's area may be allowed a reflex save at the DM's discretion to avoid being directly under it when it impacts. Creatures within approximately 20 feet of the impact take 40d6 points of piercing and bludgeoning damage from the force of the impact, are knocked prone unless they succeed at the above Reflex save, are buried under 1d6 x 5 feet of dirt and stone, and suffer the effects of being buried (succeeding at a DC 40 Reflex Save halves the damage and amount of rubble you are buried under. Negating the damage through any means other than Damage Reduction, such as Improved Evasion or a well placed Prismatic Wall also negates these effects). Creatures within 100 feet of the blast receive 20d6 bludgeoning and piercing damage, are knocked prone, and are buried under 1d4 x 5 feet of rubble, and suffer the effects of being buried (a DC 25 Reflex save halves the damage and amount of rubble you are buried under. Negating the damage through any means other than Damage Reduction, such as Improved Evasion or a well placed Prismatic Wall also negates these effects). Creatures further out receive 5d6 points of damage (DC 15 Reflex for half). If the impact site was made predominantly of some other material then you should adjust the effects as appropriate (for example Lava would have a smaller effect radius as well as the dangers of being exposed to lava and water would create a tidal wave).

Note the cylinder is non-magical Adamantine so spells that place you in the astral plane or which prevent the passage of solid objects, like a Prismatic Sphere or Prismatic Wall will effectively negate the impact provided that they remove the entire cylinder or completely encompass the subjects including the ground if the subjects are within 20 feet of the impact's outer edge or are under the Cylinder.

The Exp requirement is to place it within easy reach of a 21st level character. Otherwise I would leave it as is and use a Ring with +100 to Spellcraft.

I posted about this on the Giant in the Playground forums a bit ago. This was actually the first time I had formally written out the spell. I approximated some of the numbers using resourses that I was directed to there. Most notable this meteor impact calculator (http://home.att.net/~srschmitt/script_crater.html)

if you care to look over it the thread is here: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23726

Newtkeeper
2008-02-12, 12:37 PM
This would be very impressive, if you didn't have to introduce that troublesome little 'ad hoc' after 'no air resistance. As it is, you have a house-ruled spell- a very damaging one, but one nonetheless.

Anyway, think of the catgirls. And I don't just mean the ones below the cylinder.

Out of curiosity, why use adamantium? Is it heavier than iron?

Dr Bwaa
2008-02-12, 12:41 PM
It would suck to have that hit something and have it be able to apply DR/adamantine.

I can't find anywhere that adamantine is heavier than iron, but I'm fairly certain that it is, or at least I always DM as though it is.

Newtkeeper
2008-02-12, 12:49 PM
It would suck to have that hit something and have it be able to apply DR/adamantine.

I can't find anywhere that adamantine is heavier than iron, but I'm fairly certain that it is, or at least I always DM as though it is.

Point taken. Although it will probably overcome most DR anyway- and what about Cold Iron, Silver, etc?

I assumed it was the same weight, since weapons/armor made from it are no heavier than steel ones.

Ganurath
2008-02-12, 12:54 PM

I can't find anywhere that adamantine is heavier than iron, but I'm fairly certain that it is, or at least I always DM as though it is.Actually, assuming they didn't change it between 3.0 and 3.5, a look at plating weights for ships in the Arms & Equipment Guide shows that Adamantine weighs the same as iron.

So, a Widened Sculpted Wall of Iron would work about as well, and strike in the round you cast it.

Gaiwecoor
2008-02-12, 03:17 PM
Out of curiosity, why use adamantium? Is it heavier than iron?

I think the point is that it ignores all hardness under 20. That way, it can level buildings, walls and the like much more easily.

Kizara
2008-02-12, 03:30 PM
IIRC, Adamantium is 75% as heavy as steel.

Dr Bwaa
2008-02-12, 04:45 PM
I think the point is that it ignores all hardness under 20. That way, it can level buildings, walls and the like much more easily.

Good call; I think you're right (though to be perfectly fair, yes, this thing would probably level everything and bypass pretty much all DR anyway)

Chronos
2008-02-12, 07:47 PM
The way I figure it, is that adamantine has a somewhat higher density than steel, but it's so much stronger that you can get away with using less of it for any given application. So a suit of adamantine full plate would weigh about the same as a suit of steel full plate, but the adamantine one would be a bit thinner.

As for the "ignore air resistance" ad hoc, a solid chunk of metal that size is going to come pretty close to ignoring air resistance anyway.