PDA

View Full Version : Need for Griffon

YPU
2008-02-12, 01:37 PM
Sorry for the bad pun in the title.
Anyway, one of my (potential) players asked if it was possible to ride a griffon, I am sure it is and know for a fact there are multiple ways to do this, but right now none come to mind. I am sure that the nice people of the playground could help me with a few of them? Feats, prestige classes, alternative class features etc, are all good.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-02-12, 01:43 PM
The Paladin is the most obvious choice, but other classes that grant you a similar mount would also work

RTGoodman
2008-02-12, 02:00 PM
Um, ranks in Ride, a saddle, and ~8500gp?

You don't really need a class ability or feat to ride a Griffon, it just helps to keep it alive longer. The MM (and SRD) even have prices for just buying an egg or juvenile Griffon and how much training costs if you have someone else do it. (Check here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/griffon.htm).)

As Lord Silvanos said, Paladin could work, as could Ranger or Druid if you'll allow a Magical Beast instead of an Animal as a companion (though there might be a feat for that, somewhere).

For characters of other classes, maybe you could allow a modified version of the Wild Cohort feat, found here (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20031118a).

Dr Bwaa
2008-02-12, 03:25 PM
Just my 2cp, paladins on gryphons are immeasurable hardcore, especially since one of a paladin's real weaknesses is that he can't fly, or if he does, he can't use his (arguably) best class feature. A paladin with a bunch of mounted combat feats and a celestial gryphon is something I've never played, but I was in a campaign with one, and he was damn impressive. Oh, and Enlarging the two of them to go fight a vampiric black dragon? very impressive, indeed.

EDIT: I guess I didn't really answer your question. As far as I know the only real restriction is looking up how much an exotic saddle for a huge(?) creature costs.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-02-12, 03:31 PM
Oh, and Enlarging the two of them to go fight a vampiric black dragon? very impressive, indeed.

Enlarging a Griffon is indeed impressive, it is also rather difficult.

The_Snark
2008-02-12, 03:32 PM
Griffons can be cohorts with the Leadership feat, for non-paladins.

And if they take levels in psychic warrior, they can use Expansion.

Dr Bwaa
2008-02-12, 03:36 PM
Enlarging a Griffon is indeed impressive, it is also rather difficult.

I may have forgotten to mention that this party was all around ECL 16 :)

Meat Shield
2008-02-12, 03:41 PM

I believe he is referencing that the enlarge person spell only works against humanoids.

Other than that, though, you're right - it is rather impressive.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-02-12, 03:43 PM

As long as you were aware that bonus HD does not result in size increases that is all well and good. :smallamused:

Hyfigh
2008-02-12, 03:52 PM
Aglarondan griffonrider from Unapproachable East provides a griffon mount.

Fax Celestis
2008-02-12, 03:56 PM
Aglarondan griffonrider from Unapproachable East provides a griffon mount.

Beat me to it. Paladin/Wild Plains Outrider/Algarondan Griffinrider is pretty nice.

On a humorous aside, I've discovered one does not actually need to be on the ground to utilize the Trample feat.

Zincorium
2008-02-12, 04:00 PM
On a humorous aside, I've discovered one does not actually need to be on the ground to utilize the Trample feat.

I think the aerial equivalent is a violent mid-air collision that only the griffon (or other flying beastie) is prepared for.

YPU
2008-02-13, 06:09 AM
The idea of being trampled by a creature that doesn’t need to use it feet for something else at the time is even more scary then a normal one I imagine, but the fact that your flying as well means you can “roll with the blow” a lot more.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-02-13, 06:30 AM
The idea of being trampled by a creature that doesn’t need to use it feet for something else at the time is even more scary then a normal one I imagine, but the fact that your flying as well means you can “roll with the blow” a lot more.

Falling prone if you require the use of your wings for flight have serious consequences. In such a case the trample damage may be the least of your worries. :smallamused:

Irreverent Fool
2008-02-13, 06:53 AM
Falling prone if you require the use of your wings for flight have serious consequences. In such a case the trample damage may be the least of your worries. :smallamused:

Falling from mid-air is never something you have to worry about.

From the SRD
Drop Prone

Dropping to a prone position in your space is a free action.

From the SRD
Prone

The character is on the ground. An attacker who is prone has a -4 penalty on melee attack rolls and cannot use a ranged weapon (except for a crossbow). A defender who is prone gains a +4 bonus to Armor Class against ranged attacks, but takes a -4 penalty to AC against melee attacks.

Standing up is a move-equivalent action that provokes an attack of opportunity.

You can go between flying and 'on the ground' as a free action. And you can do it without ever passing through the state of 'falling'.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-02-13, 07:14 AM
Falling from mid-air is never something you have to worry about.

You can go between flying and 'on the ground' as a free action. And you can do it without ever passing through the state of 'falling'.

Being "tripped" in the air results in a stall, at least if you have wings. (According to the FAQ)

Allowing a creature that can fly by other means to drop prone in the air is of course a different matter.