PDA

View Full Version : Unlimited-use spells

kieza
2008-02-12, 03:52 PM
I'm working on some variant spellcasting classes which have different styles of spell slots. A character will have one spell slot per spell level available which they can refill indefinitely (i.e. after casting the spell, they can prepare a new one in it), one spell slot for spells that are extremely powerful but only usable once per day, and one slot for weak spells that can be used at will. (If the spell has a duration, it can only be active in one instance at any one time) I need suggestions for spells that are useful but not overpowering if used at will.

For example: Light and Detect Magic are useful to have at will, but don't break the game. Message is useful in certain situations, but doesn't usually break the game. Death Knell can only be used in certain situations. Magic Weapon is powerful, but balanced by the aforementioned restriction that it can only be active on one weapon at once. These are good examples of what I want. I don't want major effects, like AoE damage spells, save-or-dies, or minor effects that are overpowering if you can use them repetitively. Feel free to suggest anything, so long as you give me details if it's in an obscure source.

Kyace
2008-02-12, 06:01 PM
You might look at Recharge Magic (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/magic/rechargeMagic.htm).

Randel
2008-02-12, 07:48 PM
Also, consider some of the reserve feats like Fiery Burst (http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Fiery_Burst,CM) They are basically feats that let you cast mini-spells as long as you keep one or more of a certain normal spell uncast.

kieza
2008-02-12, 09:05 PM
I'm already familiar with both of those, and to some extent the system I'm aiming at is inspired by them. This is part of a revamp I'm working on for 3.5, incorporating aspects of 3.5, 4.0, and a lot of other stuff. I have the framework mostly set up, I just need ideas for interesting spells.

Tack122
2008-02-13, 12:15 AM
Prestidigitation is something that the characters might be able to have some fun with. Additionally, I suggest looking at the Warlock class it is very similar to what you are proposing.