PDA

View Full Version : [Subtype] RAWWWWWWWWWRRRR!

The Vorpal Tribble
2008-02-12, 05:05 PM
This is still somewhat of a work in progress. Open to suggestions.

Keep in mind though this is a general subtype for all beasts of this size.

-=-=-=-=-=-

Daikaiju

http://nymag.com/images/2/daily/food/06/09/060919godzilla_560b.jpg

From the depths of the sea, to the hidden bowels of the stone below, or from another realm entirely their exist creatures whose sheer dimensions should be impossible. Beings whose strength and size approach the deific and whenever they show themselves it is a sign of something truley horrific to come.

Tales of such creatures have been told since the beginning of tales themselves, and are just as popular today, which such creatures as Godzilla and Cloverfield. Such beings are who apply for this template, creatures built upon a macroscopic scale. While creatures of their size would normally be unable to even support themselves, a Daikaiju creature is strong and agile even for it's size. An aid to all mankind, or the beginning of an apocalypse.

Daikaiju Traits

Armor Class: Daikaiju gain a +50 'daikaiju' bonus to their Armor Class.

Damage Reduction (Ex): A daikaiju always has at least damage reduction 100/daikaiju, meaning that only the blow of another creature with the Daikaiju subtype bypasses its damage reduction.

Frightful Presence (Ex): A daikaiju can unsettle foes with its mere presence. The ability takes effect automatically whenever the daikaiju attacks, charges, or flies overhead. Creatures within a radius of 30 feet x 10 + 5 for every five feet it's space is over 50 are subject to the effect if they have fewer HD than the daikaiju. A potentially affected creature that succeeds on a Will save (DC 10 + 1/2 the daikaiju's HD + the daikaiju’s Cha modifier) remains immune to that daikaiju’s frightful presence for 24 hours. On a failure, creatures with 10 or less HD become panicked for 4d6 rounds and those with 20 or more HD become shaken for 4d6 rounds. Daikaiju ignore the frightful presence of other daikaiju.

Great Crush (Ex): This special attack allows a flying or jumping daikaiju to land on opponents as a standard action, using its whole body to crush them. Great crush attacks are effective only against creatures of Colossal size or smaller (though it can attempt normal overrun or grapple attacks against larger opponents).

A great crush attack affects as many creatures as can fit under the daikaiju’s body. No save is allowed unless the target can move a distance equal to the daiku's space in a single move action. If such is the case they must succeed on a Reflex save (DC equal to that of 10 + daikaiju space) or be pinned, automatically taking bludgeoning damage during the next round unless the daikaiju moves off them. If the daikaiju chooses to maintain the pin, treat it as a normal grapple attack. Pinned opponents take damage from the crush each round if they don’t escape.

A great crush attack deals the indicated damage plus 1-1/2 times the daikaiju’s Strength bonus (round down).

Those within 500 feet of a daikaiju's great crush attack must succeed on a Reflex DC equal to 10 + daikaiju’s HD + strength modifier or fall prone for 1d4 rounds and take 1d6 damage.

Macroscopic (Ex): A Daikaiju does not take size penalties to Armor Class or any roll they make, such as Attack and Hide checks.

Vast Size (Ex): Daikaiju are several steps up from Colossal and take up space and have a reach of at least 50 ft./50 ft.

Jaerc
2008-02-12, 07:33 PM
I would seriously consider looking at Upper_Krust's work for creatures of this size.

JakStone
2008-02-12, 10:23 PM
O.O

That subtype is horrifying. While I really like the concept, I think something a little less...unstoppable might be more appropriate. Here's my suggestions:

Reduce AC bonus to +15, and make it natural armor bonus - a new bonus seems needless, and most giant monsters seem to benefit from thick skin more than anything else. Note that this wouldn't prevent an individual Daikaiju from having a higher AC, just making it so not all of them are as unhittable.

Drop DR to 20/+3 or +4 - again, impressive DR, but not absurd, and possible for high level PCs to overcome.

Great Crush should allow a normal reflex save, since most Daikaiju crush by landing with their feet, and while a Daikaiju covers a vast area, only an amorphous one would fully engulf that whole area perfectly. Also, the area for the secondary effect should be 100 feet beyond the Daikaiju's space - plenty huge for most battles.

Macroscopic should instead halve the penalties normally associated, and shouldn't work for hide checks - as is, it's just sickening and mildly hard to believe.

Overall, really interesting, but doesn't really work as a creature for PCs to interact with - only super-epic characters would stand a chance against these monsters. While plot device monsters can be fun, it'd be frustrating for PCs when their only real options are die or run away. :p

tyckspoon
2008-02-12, 10:37 PM
O.O
Overall, really interesting, but doesn't really work as a creature for PCs to interact with - only super-epic characters would stand a chance against these monsters. While plot device monsters can be fun, it'd be frustrating for PCs when their only real options are die or run away. :p

With all due respect.. it's for Godzilla and his ilk. Super-epic seems to be the point of the exercise. Scaling it down to the realm of normal interaction would just be recreating the wheel (unless I'm only imagining the existence of a 'get really really big' template in one of the MMs?)

DracoDei
2008-02-13, 11:54 AM
In 3.0 in the MMII it was the Titanic template... and yes, I tend to agree that Godzilla etc require something a bit beyond that...

Also, you should include rules for a breath weapon, as I THINK a large percentage of them have one. (and certainly Godzilla does)

The Vorpal Tribble
2008-02-13, 12:10 PM
O.O
Reduce AC bonus to +15, and make it natural armor bonus - a new bonus seems needless, and most giant monsters seem to benefit from thick skin more than anything else. Note that this wouldn't prevent an individual Daikaiju from having a higher AC, just making it so not all of them are as unhittable.
A +15 natural armor bonus? Your average dragon bypasses that in a second.

It's not inhittable by anything even close to epic. Basically it's an AC that foils even touch attack. It is supposed to represent that it is not even affected by something that should be able to take out anything made of normal matter.

Keep in mind as well that a 20th level fighter is likely going to have around a +50 to hit already. +20 base, +10 strength, +5 enhancement, etc.

Drop DR to 20/+3 or +4 - again, impressive DR, but not absurd, and possible for high level PCs to overcome.
Thats 3.0 edition stuff that I have no idea what means.

However, think on this, I had an optimized 7th level player who did an average of 50 points of damage per hit. These fellows are epic. We're talking over a hundred per swipe easy.

Great Crush should allow a normal reflex save, since most Daikaiju crush by landing with their feet, and while a Daikaiju covers a vast area, only an amorphous one would fully engulf that whole area perfectly. Also, the area for the secondary effect should be 100 feet beyond the Daikaiju's space - plenty huge for most battles.
Perhaps halfing the area that doesn't allow a save, but otherwise it makes sense. They can pounce, land on feet, and still drop their bellies to the ground.

Macroscopic should instead halve the penalties normally associated, and shouldn't work for hide checks - as is, it's just sickening and mildly hard to believe.
But the point of these things is that they move like something that is not big. Almost all of them are way too fast and strong than they could possibly be using the laws of proportion. It's already absurd.

As for the hide checks, when things get to a certain size, most of us stop paying attention. It no longer appears animal, but something made, or a mountain, or something.

only super-epic characters would stand a chance against these monsters.
Precisely.

Faithdreamer
2008-02-13, 12:11 PM
Certain things may be beyond the scope of the lonely template. Think about providing options in the template for Breath Weapon, Sensitive Construct Traits (because RoboZilla has a big heart), Godzilla Spawn and other special traits as necessary.
The ability to shoot webs could be a special spell x 900.

Please mull over the idea of making the Godzilla templates immune to small scale spells like web or caltrops or grease for some reason until the caster meets a Caster Level Check.

DR 20/+3
They meant Damage Reduction 20/negated by enhancements +3 or higher.

puppyavenger
2008-02-13, 12:36 PM
any possibilities of examples?

Deathtouched
2008-02-13, 12:56 PM
I think it sounds pretty good. Good monster for the higher levels, and it would be a fun fight I think. On a malicious note: It might be fun to throw something like that into a lower level campaign just to show to the characters how utterly powerless they really are.

brian c
2008-02-13, 01:02 PM
DR 20/+3
They meant Damage Reduction 20/negated by enhancements +3 or higher.

Right but that's 3.0, in 3.5 they got rid of the +x DR, it's now all just DR/magic

Jibar
2008-02-13, 01:30 PM
Also, you should include rules for a breath weapon, as I THINK a large percentage of them have one. (and certainly Godzilla does)

Less than you think actually. Godzilla is just one of the more famous.
Plus, you can't really do Godzilla's breath weapon, because as far as I'm aware Nuclear isn't a damage type in 3.5.
Now, I need to find a game where the DM will let me play one of these, and I come a little bit closer in my dream to become one.

Arakune
2008-02-13, 01:56 PM
Less than you think actually. Godzilla is just one of the more famous.
Plus, you can't really do Godzilla's breath weapon, because as far as I'm aware Nuclear isn't a damage type in 3.5.
Now, I need to find a game where the DM will let me play one of these, and I come a little bit closer in my dream to become one.

You could rule that his breath weapon are fire, magic, force AND epic type damage.

Now that's the kind of fear the tarrasque was supposed to inspire...

Ghal Marak
2008-02-13, 01:59 PM
What if you gave the tarrasque this sub-type? :smallcool:

EDIT: Also, giving this sub-type to large creatures in general. Would they be bigger than the other Daikaiju?

Icewalker
2008-02-13, 02:03 PM
Frightful Presence (Ex): A daikaiju can unsettle foes with its mere presence. The ability takes effect automatically whenever the daikaiju attacks, charges, or flies overhead. Creatures within a radius of 30 feet x 10 + 5 for every five feet it's space is over 50 are subject to the effect if they have fewer HD than the daikaiju. A potentially affected creature that succeeds on a Will save (DC 10 + 1/2 the daikaiju's HD + the daikaiju’s Cha modifier) remains immune to that daikaiju’s frightful presence for 24 hours. On a failure, creatures with 10 or less HD become panicked for 4d6 rounds and those with 20 or more HD become shaken for 4d6 rounds. Daikaiju ignore the frightful presence of other daikaiju.

Uh...problematic.

30 feet x 10 + 5 per 5 feet over 50? Does that mean 300 + 5 for each 5 feet over 50 Or 300 + 50? Or 30 x 10^* where * = each 5 feet over 50? strangely worded...

If you fail and have less than 10 HD you are panicked for 4d6 rounds. If you fail and have more than 20 HD you become shaken for 4d6 rounds. You left a bit of a 10 HD gap in there...

Awesome template though. Very epic.

The Vorpal Tribble
2008-02-13, 02:09 PM
This is a SUB-TYPE, folks, not a Template.

See Archons and Demons for examples.

Anyways, I tried to ward off half these questions by putting the statement above the creature. This is for the basics of a creature with this type. Individually they will range in abilities as much as anything in existence. They just have certain things in common.

30 feet x 10 + 5 per 5 feet over 50? Does that mean 300 + 5 for each 5 feet over 50 Or 300 + 50? Or 30 x 10^* where * = each 5 feet over 50? strangely worded...
I just copied that straight from the dragons.

any possibilities of examples?
Yup, Cloverfield himself is on my agenda. Trying to work out the subtype and then get to him.

batsofchaos
2008-02-13, 02:54 PM
Awesome. In a campaign world I'm in the process of creating I was thinking of having the Leviathan dwell deep within the ocean, and this sort of subtype would work perfectly for it.

The math is funky, because it's missing some helpful parentheses that were apparently missing from the Dragon subtype.

should look like:

30 x (10 + 5 for every 5 feet its space is over 50)

So 300 for </=50, 450 for =55, 600 for =60, etc.

Icewalker
2008-02-13, 06:58 PM
Wow, that means that if it had a 220 ft. space it would have a fear of a mile. Pretty crazy. I suppose they need to see it or hear it for it to take effect though.

brian c
2008-02-13, 07:56 PM
Wow, that means that if it had a 220 ft. space it would have a fear of a mile. Pretty crazy. I suppose they need to see it or hear it for it to take effect though.

I think if there's something that big, it wouldn't be too hard to see it from a mile away; and it would be scary.

Demented
2008-02-13, 08:14 PM
Personally, I would've expected tremendous regeneration, rather than damage reduction. Godzilla always gets whupped and then comes back a little meaner.

Also, as a sub-type, does this mean you could make a fine-size daikaiju? Even if it does retain the 50' space/reach. (MADNESS!)

Rigon
2008-02-14, 03:57 AM
Actually i think we could work on this.
Can somebody please create a prestige class for monsters?
DaiKaijuu prestige class.
with 20 levels. each level gives a size increment (tough not each would cause a change in size category).

Then we would need 1-10 leveled normal monsters (with special attacks) and apply the DaiKaijuu prestige class to it.

Godzilla (Gojira)
King Ghidorah (Sennen Ryuu Gidora, uhm... millenar dragon Ghidora or what)
Mothra (Mosura)

doesn't d20 modern have some sort of ubernuclear monster template?

magic_unlocked
2008-02-14, 08:44 AM
This is true awesome. Geekdom at it's finest.

The only thing I can add is for a breath weapon (Su): Damage = 1d20 per HD. Damage type: Special (no form of energy resistance negates this damage). Area (cone): 150ft, + 20ft per HD. Recharge time: 1d4 rounds. Reflex for 1/2 damage: 15 + 1/2 HD + the creature's constitution modifier

Might be a little extreme, but so is this creature.

littlechicory
2008-02-15, 04:49 PM
Yup, Cloverfield himself is on my agenda. Trying to work out the subtype and then get to him.

Clover him/her/itself didn't frighten me too badly. Those ticks, on the other hand... :smalleek: Please tell me you're statting those, too?

magic_unlocked
2008-02-15, 05:14 PM
Fergive me, but... what is "Cloverfield"?

Mewtarthio
2008-02-15, 06:47 PM
Clover him/her/itself didn't frighten me too badly. Those ticks, on the other hand... :smalleek: Please tell me you're statting those, too?

He already has.

Fergive me, but... what is "Cloverfield"?

It's a movie that just came out in which a giant monster destroys New York City. It's not so much a "giant monster movie" as it is a horror movie: The entire thing is shot from a shaky handheld camcorder and follows a few friends in their twenties trying to rescue someone and escape.

magic_unlocked
2008-02-15, 08:57 PM
That's interesting. I want to watch it now >_>

Mee
2008-02-15, 09:08 PM
I think that the only thing that would make this better, is if you could turn it into a PC.

THAT would be fun.

magic_unlocked
2008-02-15, 09:47 PM
I think the only way you could do that would be to have it in an epic campaign.

Maerok
2008-02-15, 10:51 PM
Something that eats Tarrasques...

Icewalker
2008-02-15, 11:12 PM
Personally, I would've expected tremendous regeneration, rather than damage reduction. Godzilla always gets whupped and then comes back a little meaner.

Also, as a sub-type, does this mean you could make a fine-size daikaiju? Even if it does retain the 50' space/reach. (MADNESS!)

Isn't fine by definition =/= 50 ft. space?

Also, yes, go see Cloverfield. It is awesome.

I've been looking forward to you statting Clover, VT. Been expecting it since you did the parasites.

magic_unlocked
2008-02-16, 03:29 AM
Hmm... Interesting. I'll definately go find cloverfield and watch it.

puppyavenger
2008-02-16, 10:16 AM
I've been looking forward to you statting Clover, VT. Been expecting it since you did the parasites.

he already did them/.