PDA

View Full Version : GW Workers itP?

Eita
2008-02-12, 08:36 PM
Alright, I need someone from the fluff department. Specifically, Imperial fluff. I need to know just how many worlds are in the Imperium.

Brickwall
2008-02-12, 09:41 PM
I don't think the people you're addressing even know what you're talking about. Ever heard of context? It's really helpful. It makes the world go 'round.

MandibleBones
2008-02-12, 09:49 PM
Alright, I need someone from the fluff department. Specifically, Imperial fluff. I need to know just how many worlds are in the Imperium.

I would assume the original poster is asking any Games Workshop workers, or indeed, any sufficiently-steeped-in-lore players of Games Workshop games, in the Playground to answer his/her question regarding setting information for the Imperium in Games Workshop's Warhammer 40k table-top strategy game, to wit: how may worlds are in the Warhammer 40k Imperium?

Edit: Upon second glance, however, this question might be better asked in the Gaming (d20/General RPGs) section.

Zombie pixe
2008-02-13, 05:06 PM
the simple and cheaky answer would be:

all the planets in this galaxy added together. then take away all the ones in the Maletrum, the Eye of Terror, and all the ones under eldar, necron, ork, dark eldar, tau and tyranid controll.

the long and complex answer is:

about 3-4 billion (US or UK, which evers biggest)

Eita
2008-02-14, 09:26 PM
I don't think the people you're addressing even know what you're talking about. Ever heard of context? It's really helpful. It makes the world go 'round.

I'm pretty sure that GW workers do in fact know what I'm talking about.

Destro_Yersul
2008-02-14, 10:11 PM
Well, I USED to work for GW. And I do love the fluff.

*digs out old 40k rulebook, puts on glasses* The Imperium is divided into... five sections. The Segmentums Pacificus, Obscurus, Solar, Tempestus, and Ultima Segmentum.

Each one contains hundreds of millions of stars, especially the Ultima Segmentum, which includes the galactic center. Many of these are not included in the imperium, as they belong to orks, for the most part. Best estimate, I'd say the imperium contains several billion worlds, as they can and will colonize any untainted planet they find and conditions on it be damned. That's what Hives are for, after all. And many of the unexplored ones have humans on them anyways, leftover from the great crusade. When those are found they get annexed into the imperium immediately, and the Inquisition descends on them like some kind of malevolent bird to root out mutants, heretics, and psykers, the former of which are shot and the latter of which are carted of in the black ships.

loopy
2008-02-14, 10:18 PM
They haven't given a definite answer though, it changes too often.

LordVader
2008-02-14, 10:30 PM
The quote at the beginning of the BBB says "ruler of a million worlds by the might of his inexhaustible armies" but I take that to be poetic license, as "one million" sounds more dramatic and poetic than "ruler of 37.5 million worlds by the might of his inexhaustible armies".

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-02-14, 10:33 PM
I'm pretty sure that GW workers do in fact know what I'm talking about.
Assuming there are GW workers here. (You're in luck! It seems we have a former GW worker here.)

Also assuming those who read this know you mean "Games Workshop" and not, say, "Great Waffles," "Grumpy Walruses," "Gunk Water," or "Generous Warlocks." Abbreviations can be tricky that way. 'Specially in a wide open medium like Da Intarweb.

(I, for one, was hoping the thread was about Great Waffles.

Mmm... Waffles...)

Destro_Yersul
2008-02-14, 11:21 PM
Whenever I see GW I think Games Workshop automatically. comes from buying so much of their stuff.

*bows* And before LV lynches me for working for GW, I was only a Redshirt. I didn't get to make decisions. If I had, they'd have been different. *grumbles about current codex format*

sikyon
2008-02-14, 11:33 PM
No set number. It's ALOT, however. Just roll with that. I'd wager dollars to doughnuts it's around 1 million inhabited worlds, but that's just my guess. The numbers are constantly changing and warp storms cut off scores at a time, territorial changes are constant, etc. No way for anyone to know for sure.

Chronos
2008-02-14, 11:45 PM
Also assuming those who read this know you mean "Games Workshop" and not, say, "Great Waffles," "Grumpy Walruses," "Gunk Water," or "Generous Warlocks." Abbreviations can be tricky that way. 'Specially in a wide open medium like Da Intarweb.And I figured he was looking for climatologists, and had a question about Global Warming. If I'd known that he wanted Games Workshop, I wouldn't have bothered opening the thread.

horseboy
2008-02-14, 11:55 PM
Assuming there are GW workers here. (You're in luck! It seems we have a former GW worker here.)

Also assuming those who read this know you mean "Games Workshop" and not, say, "Great Waffles," "Grumpy Walruses," "Gunk Water," or "Generous Warlocks." Abbreviations can be tricky that way. 'Specially in a wide open medium like Da Intarweb.

(I, for one, was hoping the thread was about Great Waffles.

Mmm... Waffles...)

Oh yes, Heavens forbid someone mention something other than D&D. Sure, DMM is a fine abbreviation but GW is some great mystery. :smalltongue:

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-02-15, 07:56 AM
Oh yes, Heavens forbid someone mention something other than D&D. Sure, DMM is a fine abbreviation but GW is some great mystery. :smalltongue:
Hey, that's why we have the "Common Abbreviations" Sticky Thread! :smallbiggrin:

Also doesn't help that this thread was originally in Friendly Banter where I hear there are a few people that actually don't get into any of the stuff in the Gaming forums. I actually got here by following the "Moved" link there rather than seing it here. (I figure making Great Waffles is an art, so I thought it was moved to Arts & Crafts. Imagine my disappointment when I found otherwise. :smalltongue:)

Charity
2008-02-15, 08:38 AM
A waffle is a terrible thing to waste.

MorkaisChosen
2008-02-15, 08:46 AM
Nominal answer: many.

Actual answer: many, but less than they say because many (most?) of them are effectively out of communication due to Warp storms and time-dilation.