PDA

View Full Version : Niu's Role?

Theodorus
2008-02-12, 10:29 PM
Of the members of the small squad Haley leads to free the slaves, Niu is the only one without a weapon. We have also never seen her in action.

She seems to be wearing the armor of a warrior, so that rules out spellcaster.

Perhaps she does hand-to-hand combat? A monk?

Mauve Shirt
2008-02-12, 11:05 PM
Maybe she's unarmed because her job was to get the slaves and get out. True it's kind of silly to go unarmed anyway, but someone had to lead them to safety.

Quorothorn
2008-02-13, 01:31 AM
Of the members of the small squad Haley leads to free the slaves, Niu is the only one without a weapon. We have also never seen her in action.

She seems to be wearing the armor of a warrior, so that rules out spellcaster.

I would think that the armor rules out Monk too...unless she's 1st-level and doesn't have too high a Wisdom bonus.

Raging_Pacifist
2008-02-13, 01:39 AM
She was there to get the slaves out that's all.

Souju
2008-02-13, 02:37 AM

just cuz you fight with your bare hands doesn't automatically make you a monk...
Not enough Bruce Lee style martial arts characters (i.e. non-lawful)

Theodorus
2008-02-13, 03:49 PM
Something else to note:

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0512.html

Niu runs like an anime character.

That is, with her arms trailing behind her, as opposed to swinging back and forth, which is more efficient.

I think that it's fair to say that this fact automatically makes her awesome.

ShellBullet
2008-02-13, 04:16 PM
I think Niu is actually leaning in that image rather than running that anime style.

The first Vibe I got from Niu, that she was supposed to be some kind of healer, but so far there hasn't been any evidence of this...

Homebrew monk maybe?

Quellian-dyrae
2008-02-13, 06:55 PM
A character's weapons aren't always visible until used (I seem to recall Miko and Hinjo pulling their swords out from behind their capes, for example), and Niu has not yet had opportunity to use her weapon. My guess is that she's an elite Azure City soldier.

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-02-14, 05:39 PM
Yeah. Same Hammerspace Belkar keeps his daggers. One can assume that she needed both hands free to unbind the slaves, so it would not have been helpful for her to have her weapon drawn. And when the character doesn't need the weapon drawn, neither does Rich.

slayerx
2008-02-14, 05:49 PM
I'm going with hammer space... their are a number of characters i recall seeing who do not carry their weapons and them pull them out of no where... the paladins for instance you can often see without their weapons.

The only ones we see weapons for are usually those with larger weapons, like roy's sword, or Durkon's shield... Niu probably does have a weapon, we just haven't see her use it... i would guess it's a short sword or something similar; possibly a katanna if guards use those aswell.

Grey Watcher
2008-02-16, 11:41 AM
Alright, I can't resist posting this any longer.

Niu's role is clearly to avoid crying.

Cookie... no, no, an entire cake to anyone who actually gets that.

Seriously, though, it's probably just a case of her weapon being too small and unimportant to be worth drawing when she's not wielding it. Therefore, it goes into the same Hammerspace as Roy's Bag of Tricks, Belkar's daggers, Elan's lute and rapier, Vaarsuvius' 27 Heroism potions, etc.

Souju
2008-02-16, 01:38 PM
Alright, I can't resist posting this any longer.

Niu's role is clearly to avoid crying.

Cookie... no, no, an entire cake to anyone who actually gets that.

Seriously, though, it's probably just a case of her weapon being too small and unimportant to be worth drawing when she's not wielding it. Therefore, it goes into the same Hammerspace as Roy's Bag of Tricks, Belkar's daggers, Elan's lute and rapier, Vaarsuvius' 27 Heroism potions, etc.

given V's a spell caster, and spell casters sometimes have to keep track of a LOT of spell components, maybe V has a bag of holding?

Purple Cloak
2008-02-17, 04:12 PM
given V's a spell caster, and spell casters sometimes have to keep track of a LOT of spell components, maybe V has a bag of holding?

hmm a spell component pouch of holding.....

but i should point out that their are feats that allow arcane spellcasters to wear armor, although i'm not sure what book they are in, on the other hand she could easily be a fighter that focuses in unarmed combat....

.....or have weapon conselment shticks, oh wait, wrong system

Ikialev
2008-02-17, 04:25 PM
Yeah. Same Hammerspace Belkar keeps his daggers.
Like Alexander Anderson. :3

Souju
2008-02-17, 04:27 PM
hmm a spell component pouch of holding.....

but i should point out that their are feats that allow arcane spellcasters to wear armor, although m not sure what book they are in, on the other hand she could easily be a fighter that focuses in unarmed combat....

.....or have weapon conselment shticks, oh wait, wrong system

i'd venture a guess that even if she IS a caster of some kind, she's probably not very high level at all

Caractacus
2008-02-17, 05:46 PM
And when the character doesn't need the weapon drawn, neither does Rich.

LOVELY pun. Kudos.:smallcool:

Raging_Pacifist
2008-02-17, 07:39 PM
Like Alexander Anderson. :3

According to Hirano AA's cloak is a fourth dimensional BoH of sorts.

Aurumvorax
2008-02-18, 02:26 AM
I thought she was HR manager of the Resistance... :smallbiggrin:
An organization is not a real organization without a real HR department, even consisting of a single person

Theodorus
2008-03-04, 08:53 PM
Sorry to keep this seemingly useless topic going, but....

Niu has been revealed as a fighter (with multiclass to rogue). I don't personally play DnD, but from what I've seen in OOTS so far, fighters that use their fists for primary weapons are probably rare. I can't remember wondering what any other significant character used for a weapon before, meaning that I've probably seen them wielding it at one point or another.

Is it stupid to believe that Niu's (apparent) unarmed-ness is significant?

David Argall
2008-03-04, 09:32 PM
Quite possibly. There is a significant chance we will see very little more of her, and even less of her as anything beyond part of a conversation.

Lupy
2008-03-04, 09:33 PM
Or an invisible flaming +47 greatsword...

Seriously, my bet is a katana or shortsword unfer her cloak.

Flickerdart
2008-03-04, 09:47 PM
Stick figures don't have anywhere to put swords. Also, it's common for an RPG character's unequipped items to blink out of existence.

DanielX
2008-03-04, 11:09 PM
Isn't a bag of holding a hammerspace to begin with? Which is how Haley carries her gold with her (speaking of which, does she still have it?), those 8 bags of holding come in handy.... you know, I would really like to have a bag of holding... but I digress.

Really, its hard for a stick-figure character to actually hide a large weapon on their person (although Belkar's daggers are 'tiny' enough that they could conceivably fit in his cloak). So it goes into a hamerspace and we 'assume' that their non-stickfigure forms "in the 'real' world of OOTS" actually have more space.

David Argall
2008-03-05, 12:18 AM
Isn't a bag of holding a hammerspace to begin with?

Hammerspace is more like a Heward's Handy Haversack since you always grab the item you are looking for right away.

Dragoon
2008-03-07, 04:19 PM
Isn't a bag of holding a hammerspace to begin with? Which is how Haley carries her gold with her (speaking of which, does she still have it?)

No, she lost all but one bag of it in the inn fire, #245. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0245.html)