PDA

View Full Version : Razor Wires

GrassyGnoll
2008-02-12, 10:34 PM
Devised by less scrupulous bards, razor wires are a deadly modification to any stringed instrument. Imbued with subtle evocation magic they shape and propel blades of air towards intended targets. By replacing a choice string with a razor wire a skilled performer can let rip a truly killer solo.

With a DC 20 Perform (stringed instrument) check and expenditure of a use of bardic music the wielder casts Shrieking Blade. Can be used twice before requiring a 1 minute period to tune.

Moderate evocation; CL 6th; Craft Wondrous Item, sound burst; Price 8,000 gp

Shrieking Blade
Evocation [Sonic]
Level: Brd 3
Components: V
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Effect: Ray
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: Yes

This spell focuses a wave of sound into a scything blade, directed at a single enemy. If it strikes successfully it inflicts 2d6 damage +1 per level of the caster. This attack has a threat range of 19-20 and inflicts x2 damage on a critical hit.

This spell cannot penetrate a silence spell.

Any adjustments? I don't usually homebrew so feel free to rip in hard.

SilentNight
2008-02-12, 11:52 PM
I love it. Although you might want to reduce it to one bardic music use. But then again, what do I know? I'm a homebrew noob too.

Ceiling009
2008-02-13, 12:44 AM
I'd say reduce it to one bardic use. It's not particularly powerful for a spell; and it doesn't specify if the strike is just instantaneous, ranged touch, or range attack. I'd probably make it a ranged touch.

Icewalker
2008-02-13, 12:53 AM
Hehehehe...watched Kung Fu Hustle did you?

I did too. Posted a similar spell a while ago. It is overly complex:

Ghost Blades
Evocation [Force]
Level: Brd 4
Components: V, S, F
Casting Time: 1 Full-round action
Range: Close (25 ft. +5 ft/2 levels
Target: Any creature or object, Maximum one target per blade
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: Yes

This is a rather complex and malleable combat spell for the Bard.

A wave of ghostly blades shoot forth from your instrument upon the playing of a certain combination of chords.

The spell fires one additional blade beyond the first per two caster levels beyond 7th, with a maximum of 6 blades at 17th level or higher. The blades make a normal attack, dealing a base of 1d10 sonic slashing damage each, with a crit range of 20. although a high perform check can change that:

The bard makes a perform check with a stringed instrument. The roll on the check affects the power and accuracy of the blades as follows:

The spell requires a result of 15 or higher, or the blades fail to reach their target.
On a result of 20, the blades become magic weapons. A result of 20 gives them an enhancement bonus of +1, increasing by 1 per 4 points higher, +2 at 24, +3 at 28, +4 at 32, etc, with a maximum of +10 at 60.

These points can give the blades magic effects as chosen by the Bard.

This is still quite confusingly worded. Let me give examples.

If the Bard makes a 32 on his perform check, he gets a +4 bonus. He could simply give his blades an enhancement bonus of +4, affecting hit, damage, and DR/+X.

He could also however give his blades the 'flaming' ability, which is listed as equivalent to +1 in the DMG. That would make the blades +3 flaming weapons.

He could then add the "wounding" ability for a cost of +2, making the blades into '+1 flaming, wounding' ghost blades.

Focus: A stringed instrument

Sounds a bit complex, but actually quite simple. They become magic weapons as chosen by bonus out of the DMG or whatever other books you have with magic weapon abilities.

I like yours, much simpler. Mine is more fun though :smalltongue:

I suggest making the item only take up one use, the spell isn't too powerful.

Also...go Red Dwarf.

GrassyGnoll
2008-02-13, 06:04 PM
Thanks for the feedback. A ranged touch attack and one use of bardic music it is then. And yeah, Kung Fu Hustle and Midvalley the Hornfreak were cornerstones to the idea.

SilentNight
2008-02-13, 07:32 PM
Midvalley is the best bari-sax player in the history of the world. You rock.

FatherMalkav
2008-02-20, 02:13 PM
I love it. I offered it to my D as a one use cost and ranged touch, and he allowed it. Thanks :)