PDA

View Full Version : [Powers] Don't want to close my eyes, don't want to fall asleep...

The Vorpal Tribble
2008-02-13, 10:50 AM
Night Insight
Oneiropathy
Level: Dreamer 2
Display: Mental
Manifesting Time: 1 round
Range: See text
Target: One creature
Duration: Concentration
Saving Throw: See text
Power Resistance: No
Power Points: 3

Your mind reaches into the realm of the subconscious as you recall and connect the meanings of seemingly random events in dreams. You momentarily gain the benefit of the Dreamtelling feat (http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Dreamtelling,HH) (Heroes of Horror, p. 122) and gain a +10 bonus to Knowledge (the planes) checks for the purpose of interpretting dreams.

To interpret your own dream while using this power takes only 1 minute. To interpret the dream of another requires 10+1d10 minutes of them explaining the dream in great detail. If they are willing, you are capable in this state of reliving the dream they had the previous night as they experienced it. This lowers the time required to interpet the dream to 1 minute.

Once it has been attempted to interpret a single dream, successful or not, the power ends.

Augment: For every power point you spend the bonus to Knowledge (the planes) check increases by 1.

-=-=-=-=-

Dream Stalker
Oneiropathy [Mind-Affecting, Fear]
Level: Dreamer 8
Display: Mental
Manifesting Time: 1 round
Range: See text
Target: One living creature
Duration: 1 day/2 levels
Saving Throw: Will negates partial; see text
Power Resistance: Yes
Power Points: 15

You sneak a subconscious beacon into the mind of a living being you can see. That night as you sleep you craft a beast of pure nightmare and set it to loose to find the mind of the target. Each night the target dreams they must succeed on a will save or die as the creature takes the form of their worst fear and slays them in the most horrible way the target can imagine.

If they manage to elude the creature the next morning they must succeed on a second save or awake Fatigued and unable to regain power points for the next 24 hours. The next time they sleep, or even if they are rendered unconscious, the creature seeks them out and attempts to slay them time and time again for the duration of the power.

Spells and powers that protect against nightmares, such as Restful Slumber, guard the subject for their duration, but the next time the target becomes unconscious after that duration the creature returns.

Faithdreamer
2008-02-13, 11:32 AM
Don't mess with the cosmos so much I'm the only one allowed to do that Mr. Tribble (not really but I had to start somehow). These things you've thought up are only slightly more frightening when someone actually... does that?
Um, stick with big shiny (not the not-quite-so-shiny, the really shiny, good shiny), and be good. And don't take any of their... crud.

EDIT: IF you run into the one who 'booms heads' who isn't hypnotism tell it that it's being a jerk and should stop. If it doesn't stop then it will get a very stern lecture.

The Vorpal Tribble
2008-02-13, 11:42 AM
This is a post.

The above is a post on drugs.

Any questions?

Faithdreamer
2008-02-13, 11:58 AM
Yes, sir. My thoughts were 'why doesn't it have it's very own post number?'

Then I understood.

(Why was it so hard to understand?) :smallconfused:

For example Impossibility is relative to someone who bounces around faster than the speed of sound without a sound. If you happen to see coal black eyes they're not necessarily a meanie.

I really like the abilities but they've a very narrow focus. They would make excellent tools in crime, a great role play buffet, and a nasty case of people doing all kinds of things that people say ends in a conspiracy theory if everything doesn't work as well.

Flavor A +

I can't rate your crunch fairly I'm still learning.

Faithdreamer
2008-02-13, 12:03 PM
Suggestipn
Since you're including dreams create material for a plane of existence like the ethereal or some kind of psi encounter where you can meditate to descend into your own subconscious and fight the stalker/killer on even ground.

If the stalker wins your body manifests their sign as you move closer to death. If you win depending on the conditions a few things might happen but for the sake of the game most commonly the character should win 'survival.'

Deathtouched
2008-02-13, 12:50 PM
It's so beautiful!!! :smallsigh:
*cries*

XtheYeti
2008-02-13, 01:54 PM
Yes, sir. My thoughts were 'why doesn't it have it's very own post number?'

Then I understood.

(Why was it so hard to understand?) :smallconfused:

For example Impossibility is relative to someone who bounces around faster than the speed of sound without a sound. If you happen to see coal black eyes they're not necessarily a meanie.

I really like the abilities but they've a very narrow focus. They would make excellent tools in crime, a great role play buffet, and a nasty case of people doing all kinds of things that people say ends in a conspiracy theory if everything doesn't work as well.

Flavor A +

I can't rate your crunch fairly I'm still learning.
...holy crap...wow...dude...woah...

yeah so um...wow...you are so high that it's makeing me high just trying to understand your drug induced babaling...dang...

RTGoodman
2008-02-13, 04:16 PM
The "Will negates partial" for dream stalker sounds sort of weird - I might say "Will partial (see text)" or something like that. Unless I'm just reading it wrong.

Also, is this Dreamer class a homebrew of yours that I'm just not familiar with, or is it in some supplement I've never seen? I assume it's a Psion discipline, but I'm not sure.

Otherwise, I have no idea what's going on in this thread...:smallconfused:

The Vorpal Tribble
2008-02-13, 04:20 PM
The "Will negates partial" for dream stalker sounds sort of weird - I might say "Will partial (see text)" or something like that. Unless I'm just reading it wrong.
It does have a 'see text' already.

Also, is this Dreamer class a homebrew of yours that I'm just not familiar with, or is it in some supplement I've never seen? I assume it's a Psion discipline, but I'm not sure.
Yeah, I'm working on a new discipline.

Otherwise, I have no idea what's going on in this thread...:smallconfused:
You and me both...

RTGoodman
2008-02-13, 04:30 PM
It does have a 'see text' already.

Nevermind. Apparently I'm blind. :smallredface:

jagadaishio
2008-02-13, 04:34 PM
Yeah, I'm working on a new discipline.

You're making a discipline based on dreams? This is something I have wanted for a long time, and these powers seem perfect for it. You are a wonderful person.

The Vorpal Tribble
2008-02-13, 04:41 PM
You're making a discipline based on dreams? This is something I have wanted for a long time, and these powers seem perfect for it. You are a wonderful person.
If you like dream-based stuff, be sure to check out Hyperconscious by Bruce R. Cordell (http://www.montecook.com/cgi-bin/page.cgi?mpress_Hyper). It's not published under Wizards, but Bruce as you probably know wrote all the official Psionics books.

The entire thing is nothing but dream based psionic powers, feats, monsters, PrC's, and includes a fantastic dream-based adventure as well.

I'd use powers from that for the discipline, but trying to keep to Wizards stuff as much as possible.

jagadaishio
2008-02-13, 05:43 PM
If you like dream-based stuff, be sure to check out Hyperconscious by Bruce R. Cordell (http://www.montecook.com/cgi-bin/page.cgi?mpress_Hyper). It's not published under Wizards, but Bruce as you probably know wrote all the official Psionics books.

The entire thing is nothing but dream based psionic powers, feats, monsters, PrC's, and includes a fantastic dream-based adventure as well.

I'd use powers from that for the discipline, but trying to keep to Wizards stuff as much as possible.

I actually have Hyperconscious, Mindscapes, and that other related book whose name escapes me. I love psionics.

JakStone
2008-02-14, 01:01 PM
Flavor A +

Well, I think I can agree with this statement, Faithdreamer. On a related note, what exactly are you smoking, and where could I get some?

Tribble:

I really like the powers. Dream stalker is just nasty beyond belief, especially if the PCs are fighting a psionic badguy: they could just release the stalker and let it harass him until they can catch up. It would be unbalanced, except that it is mind-affecting, fear, and can be blocked by restful slumber - enough ways exist to counteract it without rendering it useless.

I'm also a fan of Night Insight (and it has a really fun to say name). If you are creating more dream-psionic powers, I look forward to seeing them immensely - if they are of the same quality presented here, then I will have no complaints.

PS: Sorry if my wording/syntax/sense breaks down in this post. I read all of Faithdreamer's posts before posting, and I swear it's making me harder to hold a coherent thought at the moment.

EDIT: The above line should read "it's making it harder for me to hold..." rather than what it says now. I did not do that intentionally.

Remember, kids: Friends don't let friends read Faithdreamer.