PDA

View Full Version : Universal Spellcaster

arkanis
2008-02-13, 12:55 PM
Spellcaster
Hit Die: d4
Skill Points: 2 + Int
Class Skills: Concentration, Craft (all), Profession (all), Spellcraft plus any 4 of the following:
Bluff, Diplomacy, Handle Animal, Heal, Intimidate, Listen, Knowledge (any 3), Perform (any 3), Search, Sense Motive, Spot, Survival, Use Magic Device.
{table=”head”]Level | BAB | Fort | Refl | Will | Special | Spell Points | Spells Known
1st | +0 | +0 | +0 | +2 | Bonus ability | 1 | 2/1/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-
2nd | +1 | +0 | +0 | +3 | − | 3 | 3/2/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-
3rd | +1 | +1 | +1 | +3 | − | 6 | 3/2/1/-/-/-/-/-/-/-
4th | +2 | +1 | +1 | +4 | − | 10 | 4/3/2/-/-/-/-/-/-/-
5th | +2 | +1 | +1 | +4 | Bonus ability | 15 | 4/3/2/1/-/-/-/-/-/-
6th | +3 | +2 | +2 | +5 | − | 21 | 5/4/3/2/-/-/-/-/-/-
7th | +3 | +2 | +2 | +5 | − | 28 | 5/4/3/2/1/-/-/-/-/-
8th | +4 | +2 | +2 | +6 | − | 36 | 6/5/4/3/2/-/-/-/-/-
9th | +4 | +3 | +3 | +6 | − | 45 | 6/5/4/3/2/1/-/-/-/-
10th | +5 | +3 | +3 | +7 | Bonus ability | 55 | 7/6/5/4/3/2/-/-/-/-
11th | +5 | +3 | +3 | +7 | − | 66 | 7/6/5/4/3/2/1/-/-/-
12th | +6 | +4 | +4 | +8 | − | 78 | 8/7/6/5/4/3/2/-/-/-
13th | +6 | +4 | +4 | +8 | − | 91 | 8/7/6/5/4/3/2/1/-/-
14th | +7 | +4 | +4 | +9 | − | 105 | 9/8/7/6/5/4/3/2/-/-
15th | +7 | +5 | +5 | +9 | Bonus ability | 120 | 9/8/7/6/5/4/3/2/1/-
16th | +8 | +5 | +5 | +10 | − | 136 | 10/9/8/7/6/5/4/3/2/-
17th | +8 | +5 | +5 | +10 | − | 153 | 10/9/8/7/6/5/4/3/2/1
18th | +9 | +6 | +6 | +11 | − | 171 | 11/10/9/8/7/6/5/4/3/2
19th | +9 | +6 | +6 | +11 | − | 190 | 11/10/9/8/7/6/5/4/3/2/1
20th | +10 | +6 | +6 | +12 | Bonus ability| 210 | 12/11/10/9/8/7/6/5/4/3/2
[/table]
*10th level spell slots can be disabled by DM discretion.
Spells: Spellcasters must select their spellcasting style: Spontaneous Arcane (Cha), Spontaneous Divine (Cha), Prepared Arcane (Int), or Prepared Divine (Wis). Arcane uses Sorcerer/Wizard spell list while Divine uses Cleric/Druid spell list. Prepared casters gain twice the number of known spells then are actually listed on the table.
Spell Points: Spell points regenerate caster level x (1 + ability mod for casting) per night of rest. Spellcasting costs are as follows:
{table="head"]Spell Lvl. | SP cost
0 | 1
1st | 3
2nd | 6
3rd | 10
4th | 15
5th | 21
6th | 28
7th | 36
8th | 45
9th | 55
10th | 66
[/table]

Bonus Abilities: Every few levels a spellcaster gains a bonus abilities as listed upon the table. The ability selected can be any item creation feat or metamagic feat which the character meets the prerequisites for or one of the abilities listed below (if the character meets the prerequisites):

Divine Aim:
Prerequisite: Cha 13, divine prepared spellcaster level 1st.
Benefit: Spellcaster adds their Charisma modifier to all attack rolls.

Divine Grace:
Select one save.
Prerequisite: Cha 13, divine spellcaster level 3rd.
Benefit: Spellcaster adds their charisma modifier as a divine bonus to one of their saves (minimum +0).
Special: This can be taken up to 3 times, its effects do not stack. Each time it is selected it applies to a new save.

Divine Health:
Select poison or disease.
Prerequisite: Divine spellcaster level 3rd.
Benefit: Character gains immunity to all effects from your selection.
Special: This can be taken 2 times, its effects do not stack. Each time it is selected it allows a new immunity.

Divine Toughness:
Prerequisite: Cha 13, divine prepared spellcaster level 1st.
Benefit: Spellcaster adds their Charisma modifier x spellcaster level as a bonus to their hit points. This is a supernatural ability so these extra hit points are lost in the presence of an antimagic field, but cannot be dispelled. These extra hit points regenerate as normal hit points do and can be recovered using normal curative magic.

Domain:
Select one domain.
Prerequisite: Spellcaster level 1st.
Benefit: Spellcaster gains the granted ability of the selected domain and can spontaneously sacrifice any prepared spell of equal or higher level to cast any of the spells on the selected domain list without having to prepare them. A spellcaster who does not prepare spells instead automatically learns all the selected spells on the domain list without calculating it into their limited known spells.
Special: This feat can be taken multiple times, each time adding a new domain. Each time it is taken it increases its spellcaster level prerequisite by 6.

Familiar:
Benefit: Character gains a familiar (as a Wizard) or animal companion (as a Druid) but not both.

Fey Resistance:
Benefit: Character gains a +4 bonus to all saves and checks made to resist all racial spells, racial spell-like abilities, and racial supernatural abilities used by fey.

Improved Energy:
Benefit: The character gains 5 extra spell points to use per day.
Special: This ability can be taken multiple times, its effect stack.

Timeless:
Prerequisite: Divine spellcaster level 5th.
Benefit: Character gains the Timeless body ability and automatically lives the maximum number of years possible for their race.

Turn/Rebuke Revenants:
Select positive or negative.
Benefit: Characters who select positive energy can rebuke deathless creatures and turn undead creatures. Characters who select negative energy can rebuke undead creatures and turn deathless creatures.
Special: No matter how many Turn/Rebuke feats a character selects the total number of times they can use turn/rebuke is equal to half his spellcaster level + his Charisma modifier (minimum 1) unless they gain the Extra Turning/Rebuking feat.

Wild Empathy:
Prerequisite: Divine spellcaster level 1st.
Benefit: Character gains the Wild Empathy ability and gains a +2 bonus to Knowledge (nature) and Survival checks.

Wild Step:
Prerequisite: Divine spellcaster level 5th.
Benefit: Character gains the Woodland Stride and Trackless Step abilities.

brian c
2008-02-13, 01:00 PM
at 20th level, they get 10th level spells?

Deathtouched
2008-02-13, 01:02 PM
Wow... :smalleek:
Well, first of all, does it only get one attack?
And is this really all spellcasters in one post?
How are the mechanics?
By "selects their spellcasting style" do you mean they only get one?
Ah, wait, I get it...
Lots of skills there

Again: Wow...

arkanis
2008-02-13, 01:04 PM
I can't post the rest of the class stats because the site keeps freezing. The cache clearing thing doesn't work and its not my network because it does this no matter what computer or network I'm on.

I'd post the rest if it would let me but I guess I'll just respond to questions.

Any questions?

brian c
2008-02-13, 02:08 PM
Wow... :smalleek:
Well, first of all, does it only get one attack?
And is this really all spellcasters in one post?
How are the mechanics?
By "selects their spellcasting style" do you mean they only get one?
Ah, wait, I get it...
Lots of skills there

Again: Wow...

BAB +10 is implied to be +10/+5, in all cases. For example, if you're a level 5 Fighter and level 5 Barbarian, then your total BAB is +10 and you get two attacks even though each class is just +5; they don't get iterative attacks on your own, but it really just depends on your total.

My point stands though: you have too many "spells known" groupings at higher levels.

arkanis
2008-02-14, 03:55 PM
Actually I'd intended for there to be 10th level spells. I don't like breaking a consistent pattern. You can disable them if you want or allow them if you plan to have the player go epic.

I'm working on a Universal Warrior, but until I get this site problem fixed I don't think I'm going to be able to post it.

Fixed!

Also, I solved the Wild Shape problem:

Wild Shape is a 3rd level Druid spell that is Self Only.
It works just like the druid ability except use divine caster level instead of druid level for duration.
To determine what you can turn into and what size you can turn into with the spell, look at the druid class and at what level they gain the ability to do such. That is the minimum caster level to do the same thing.

magic_unlocked
2008-02-14, 04:01 PM
This is decidedly interesting. I like it.

Tequila Sunrise
2008-02-14, 09:32 PM
Actually I'd intended for there to be 10th level spells. I don't like breaking a consistent pattern. You can disable them if you want or allow them if you plan to have the player go epic.

Wow, I thought I was the only d&d gamer who looks at the spell charts and goes "whaa?" :smallconfused: Now we can start a Gamers for Consistent Patterns club! 10th level spells (and 7th level spells for bards) is exactly what I recommend in my Epic 3.5 House Rules.

magic_unlocked
2008-02-14, 09:54 PM
I agree with you. And to hell with balance on epic spells.
In an epic spell, I summoned up a paragon, fiendish, entropic, 1/2 dragon, Tarrasque with +20 outsider HD. Though, i was a 60th-level character ^^;;

arkanis
2008-02-15, 12:14 PM
Wow, I thought I was the only d&d gamer who looks at the spell charts and goes "whaa?" :smallconfused: Now we can start a Gamers for Consistent Patterns club! 10th level spells (and 7th level spells for bards) is exactly what I recommend in my Epic 3.5 House Rules.
Thank you! Oh gods, thank you! Someone else can see the light! I'll join that club and conquer all others with horrible smitings!

I agree with you. And to hell with balance on epic spells.
In an epic spell, I summoned up a paragon, fiendish, entropic, 1/2 dragon, Tarrasque with +20 outsider HD. Though, i was a 60th-level character ^^;;
1st point: You summoned that? Wow, you magnificent b*stard son of a munchkin. Are you accepting apprentice applications?

2nd point: I think we CAN balance epic spells, but the rules as they are now won't allow that balance. We need an entirely new set of epic rules or don't even make epic things use seperate rules, just make stuff that leads in from nonepic to epic levels. Have actual 10th+ level spells to use.

3rd point: My own variant is that I allow ALL spells to be used at higher levels increasing more than just the DC (increases effective caster level, radius, caps, etc.). I have no problem with a fireball being used as a 12th level spell to wipe out an entire city or as a 21st level spell to effectively cause a nuclear explosion. (For every spell level higher the spell is used the maximum caster level cap is increased by 4 and increases all numerical values not affected by caster level by 25% (approx). So a 9th level fireball would have a radius of 50 feet and maximum damage of 39d6) and a 13th level timestop would allow the caster to act freely for 2d4+2 rounds and you don't want to know what a 15th level meteor swarm will do. This is just an estimate.

magic_unlocked
2008-02-15, 12:22 PM
Thank you! Oh gods, thank you! Someone else can see the light! I'll join that club and conquer all others with horrible smitings!

1st point: You summoned that? Wow, you magnificent b*stard son of a munchkin. Are you accepting apprentice applications?

2nd point: I think we CAN balance epic spells, but the rules as they are now won't allow that balance. We need an entirely new set of epic rules or don't even make epic things use seperate rules, just make stuff that leads in from nonepic to epic levels. Have actual 10th+ level spells to use.

3rd point: My own variant is that I allow ALL spells to be used at higher levels increasing more than just the DC (increases effective caster level, radius, caps, etc.). I have no problem with a fireball being used as a 12th level spell to wipe out an entire city or as a 21st level spell to effectively cause a nuclear explosion. (For every spell level higher the spell is used the maximum caster level cap is increased by 4 and increases all numerical values not affected by caster level by 25% (approx). So a 9th level fireball would have a radius of 50 feet and maximum damage of 39d6) and a 13th level timestop would allow the caster to act freely for 2d4+2 rounds and you don't want to know what a 15th level meteor swarm will do. This is just an estimate.

Sure, i'll apprentice you. And, also, Can i sig it? Anyhow, as to yer using higher-level slots, they have an epic meta feat for that. It's called "Enhance Spell". Here's the feat: Enhance Spell [Metamagic][Epic]
Prerequisite
Maximize Spell.

Benefit
The damage cap for your spells increases by 10 dice (for spells that deal a number of dice of damage equal to caster level) or by 5 dice (for spells that deal a number of dice of damage equal to half caster level). An enhanced spell uses up a spell slot four levels higher than the spell’s actual level. This feat has no effect on spells that don’t specifically deal a number of dice of damage equal to the caster’s level or half level, even if the spell’s effect is largely dictated by the caster’s level.

Normal
Without this feat, use the damage dice caps indicated in the spell’s description.

Special
You may gain this feat multiple times. Each time you select this feat, the damage cap increases by 10 dice or 5 dice, as appropriate to the spell, and the enhanced spell takes up a spell slot an additional four levels higher

In the campaigns we've run, you can just apply the meta feat as many times as you like, as long as you have the appropriate slots available. Though, we use a Mana system I developed, so that's more cheese. ^^;;

arkanis
2008-02-15, 12:33 PM
Sure you can sig it.

That's a pretty sweet feat, but it doesn't take into account that a lot of 3.5 spells don't use 1/2 or x1 your caster level and a lot of spells don't deal damage but have other effects.

What if I were defensive-based and wanted a 9th-level Shield and Armor spell that would allow me to stand in front of a 17th-level fighter and laugh at his futile attempts to harm me? Seriously, that would be so much more fun than blowing up a city. I can see the headlines now: Warrior can't hit Wizard in melee, parents are shamed.

magic_unlocked
2008-02-15, 01:01 PM
Actually, a few spells do. I know fireball does 1d6 per CL (max 10), sooo if you use the Enhance Spell meta feat, you now deal 20d6 damage at the cost of a 7th-level spell.

And thanks, you are now my apprentice, Arkanis.Now go clean the stables XD

Sorry, couldn't resist that.

arkanis
2008-02-15, 01:06 PM
Sure, that helps the evocators and even some of the conjurers and necromancers, but what about the rest of us? :frown:

Curses! Ye tricked me old man! You've not heard the end of this! *pulls a Hercules*
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Augeas

magic_unlocked
2008-02-15, 01:22 PM
Sure, that helps the evocators and even some of the conjurers and necromancers, but what about the rest of us? :frown:

Curses! Ye tricked me old man! You've not heard the end of this! *pulls a Hercules*
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Augeas

By the gods! Ok, ok. Now, go read Mordenkainen's Theory of Magic, part 1, Volume 1.

Anyhow, I'm sure that feat can be altered. Though, things like Mage Armor have different "level" sets. Like, Mage Armor, Greater (+6) and then Superior (+8).

arkanis
2008-03-22, 02:14 AM
Wow, I can't believe I didn't notice that.

Actually, I strongly think that there should be some sort of system for casting low level spells with higher level spell slots and increasing everything other than just the DC.

Maybe "increased by one multiplier" would help. For example, casting a 3rd level spell as a 6th level spell would double all its caps and casting it as a 9th level spell would triple all its caps? For things which don't already have caps it would just double or triple them as they are (except for DCs which remain 10+spell level + ability mod).

...or something like that.